• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
I was actually kinda, sorta rooting for Federer today. I wanted the big 3 (Fed, Djoko and Rafa) to ALL have big wins. Nadal destroyed Serra & Djokovic destroyed Seppi, and then I was waiting for Federer to bounce back after he slipped by Genepri.

SupahBlah

Banned
"The most electrifying move in sports history."

henmancnc.gif

Hootie

Federer noooooooo

Fuck you Nadal! Fed deserved to win Wimbledon after coming back from 2 sets down.

Seems like an era is coming to and abrupt end, for now.

MIMIC

Banned
Lion Heart said:
So those who play (I play a lot, like 2-3 times a week avr) what Tennis Racquet do you guys use? I had a Head Racket for a couple years and I got pretty good, with some weakness in my backhand and serve and decided to buy a higher end Babolat.

I'm just now getting into tennis. During my sophomore year at OSU, I took a tennis class and I've been getting really good. I got tired of all my $20 Wal-Mart racquets breaking (I went through 3 of them in a short time :lol) and got myself a $105 Head racquet. It's OK I guess.

BTW, if Nadal loses before the semis, then he and Federer will be playing for #1 at the Olympics.

Sharp

Haas is playing well. Much better than Serra anyway. And Nadal isn't playing his best tennis here, he's making unforced errors all over the place. An upset could still happen.

MIMIC

Banned
Some number crunching of my own (after the Nadal win and the Federer loss):

How things looked after Toronto:

1. Roger Federer: 6255 points
2. Rafael Nadal: 6105 points

Right now (as of 8/1/08) :

1. Rafael Nadal: 6225 (+120 pts. so far)
2. Roger Federer: 5830 (-425 pts. for not defending title and losing in 3rd round)

Nadal is the unofficial No. 1 right now but it won't say so on the rankings until after the Olympics, IIRC. For Nadal to go into the U.S. Open as the No. 1 seed, he needs to at the very least win tomorrow, which would net him 220 pts, bringing his overall rank total to 6325. He would be guaranteed the No. 1 spot. Federer could go on and win the Olympic gold medal (400 pts) and Nadal could get upset in the 1st round (5 pts) and the standings would look like this officially:

1. Rafael Nadal: 6330 (loses at Cincy in QF and loses at Olympics in 1st round)
2. Roger Federer: 6230 (loses at Cincy in 3rd round and wins Olympic gold medal)

For Nadal not to become No. 1, Nadal would have to WITHDRAW from the Olympics and Federer would have to win the gold. :lol If that happened:

1. Roger Federer: 6230
2. Rafael Nadal: 6225

Federer would be ahead by 5 points if this unlikely scenario happened.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Fed is in a funk right now and he better get his shit together by the time the US Open rolls around. I can't stand to see him lose like this.

Peru

The men aren't the only ones fighting for #1. BIG uncertainties as to who stands tall after this year's season on the WTA tour. With Ivanovic's early exit in the Rogers cup Jelena Jankovic could grab it quite easily, but had a shocking defeat today, beaten 75 62 by Cibulkova. Chances down the drain for now. Extra shocking after an early 5-1 lead! One of the worst chokes of the year. Damn, Jelena.

The one I think deserves it, Sharapova, is now out with an injury, missing the Olympics and US open. Very, truly shitty, and it will put a damper on the remaining WTA season. Ivanovic and Jankovic are going to face the threat of Kuznetsova instead, who's in attacking position now. Exciting times, but I'm gutted not to see Sharapova in the US open.

MIMIC

Banned
Yeah, I saw the first set of Jelena's match and saw her up 5-1 and changed the channel, thinking it would be an easy victory.

Then I saw her opponent getting interviewed, all smiles.

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic just beat Gulbis 6-3, 6-4 and he's in the semis now. He'll probably face Nadal tomorrow (that is if Nadal wins his match tonight, with the odds well in his favor)

Peru

Djoko is a real challenge to Nadal. At least I hope so.
That bastard Karlovic tie-broke his ass through another match 76(6) 76(3).

Flakster99

master15 said:
I used to watch tennis back in the day pretty religiously, when guys like;

14484676_stefan_edberg.jpg

becker-boris-photo-boris-becker-6223778.jpg

lendl.jpg

I miss those days :(

Yo, brother from another mother. Mid 80's - early 90's, my favorite era by far. I'm a huge fan of the serve and volley style of play, the back n' forth baseline ground-stokes style not to much.

MIMIC

Banned
Lapentti is really holding up against Nadal. I've never seen him play but if he continues to play like this with a little more aggression, he could take out Nadal.

Koshiro

Murray into the semis, he's doing well. He's got a long way to go before he bothers Nadal, but he's definitely the best player the UK has had for eons. For now though, it's a case of 'hey I'm doing well oh hi Nadal.. fuck'. Still, at least it's players of that caliber!

pewye

Banned
Nadal takes the first set 7-6(3)

Congratulations for taking the number 1 ranking.

Federer, it was an incredible run. It doesn't mean that he won't be number 1 again

MIMIC

Banned
So many wasted opportunities by Lapentti. Whenever he had a break point, he always threw away an easy ball. Nadal's serve certainly didn't get any better when he faced those break points.

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic has the capabilities to FLAY Nadal today. If his head is screwed on tight, he'll easily get the job done.

Meanwhile, Karlovic and Murray are playing. Karlovic is already up a break @_@. He's playing some incredibly solid tennis.

Sharp

I don't know about "flay," at least not when Nadal is in top form, but this will be his thirty-third match in a row on the most physically demanding surface (and his least favorite). He's got to be feeling it at this point. Anyway, Murray broke Karlovic back twice and looks like he's got the first set.

Edit: And Murray wins it. 6-4, 6-4.

Koshiro

Amazing stuff, Murray's first ever masters final. Up to number 6 in the world now, and he'll face either djokovic or nadal in the final. Big ask if he gets Nadal, but he's proven he can now beat djokovic. This will be interesting.

MIMIC

Banned
Murray did a great job bouncing back and returning serve. I think Karlovic buckled a little under the pressure of realizing that Murray actually got the balls back in play.

Well deserved victory.

MIMIC said:
Murray did a great job bouncing back and returning serve. I think Karlovic buckled a little under the pressure of realizing that Murray actually got the balls back in play.

Well deserved victory.

Murray is a damn pusher.

Eeikod

Lion Heart said:
THis is a general discussion right.

So those who play (I play a lot, like 2-3 times a week avr) what Tennis Racquet do you guys use? I had a Head Racket for a couple years and I got pretty good, with some weakness in my backhand and serve and decided to buy a higher end Babolat.

Its strength is power but im really struggling with it. My backhand and serve are arguably better but my forehand is not nearly as good. It could be that I upped the handle size a quarter inch. It feels like I hit the frame on everyshot, its so ackward. I can still play pretty well but I feel as though im worse than I was last year.

Maybe I should have went with that Flexpoint Head racquet.

I don't actually play tennis that much anymore, my friends and I usually play a sport called "Frontenis", a variation of tennis were you play against a wall, like squash but much wider. It's only played around Spain and Mexico, but it's fun, so much fun.
Frontenis Video 1
Frontenis Video 2
Second video is from the 2005 world cup, I actually play in that court 2-3 times a week :D
I use a Babolat Pure Drive btw, works wonders.

Sharp

4-0 now and it's Djokovic's serve. Nadal is too tired and Djoko is too good on hard courts (and has been doing too well lately) for him to win today. Stranger things have happened but that's how it will likely play out. Djokovic is just dominating right now. Plus I almost feel like Nadal is holding back, he's not going for the balls that he normally would. Maybe he wants to rest up for the Olympics or something.

Peru

Yes, he's been dominating completely, and it will be up to Djokovic to break down if Nadal's to win today.

Koshiro

I never imagined such a situation, I hope Nadal gets through (even though he'll kill my man Murray). Like most Brits i do still like Nadal (who just lost the first set).

Peru

Great tennis, Djoko is a masterful defender, Nadal does some crazy shots that still go past him. I'm rooting like mad for Djoko though, I'm not a fan of Nadal steamrolling his way through tournaments and Novak's been the better player today.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Koshiro said:
I never imagined such a situation, I hope Nadal gets through (even though he'll kill my man Murray). Like most Brits i do still like Nadal (who just lost the first set).

Do most Brits like Nadal? Personally I'm a big fan of the underdog where I don't have a particular favourite, which given how damn good Nadal is these days means I'm normally hoping he loses. ;)

Sharp

This set is definitely a lot better from Nadal. He really stepped it up. Don't know if it will be enough, though, it will probably go down to a tiebreak.

pewye

Banned
Djokovic to serve for the match. Is he going to get nervous?? I hope not. To me, he is the favorite to win the U.S Open. Although, I want Federer to win it. It would be a shame if he didn't win a GS this year.

pewye

Banned
15-0
15-15
30-15
40-15 almost touched the net :lol

Djokovic wins 6-1 7-5 and ends Nadal's 32 wins streak.

Peru

Yes! Nadal's crazy streak broken. Djokovic played fantastic today, the most impressive thing how he just kept on doing it, slaughtering the first set and then when Nadal really got into it in the 2nd he still held his own and finished it.

MIMIC

Banned
WTF?! How the fuck did I miss this???? ESPN 2 says this match doesn't come on until 9pm! :mad:

Well, at least my boy won!

Zep

Banned
well, its been fun Fed...But it's over, retire, join Pete in retirement and save yourself from constant ass whoopings from here on out.

<3

Top Bottom