• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good samaritan helping lost toddler gets punched by father, labeled predator online

smurfx

get some go again
good lord if i saw that father again somewhere i don't think i would be able to hold back and not try beat his ass.

HariKari

According to WFLA, other media outlets and police, family members and friends went on social media and shared the man’s photo, his Facebook page and his place of business, “calling him a child predator,” WFLA said.

That's the part where you're supposed to press charges.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh no.

"..family members and friends went on social media and shared the man's photo, his Facebook page and his place of business, ”calling him a child predator," WFLA said."

That's a bit much.

A bit? This guy could sue every single one of those people for all they've got and win. They literally forced him to move out of the town he lived it. They ruined his life and the life of his family for no reason. Dude tried to do the right thing and got his life destroyed.

Sulik2

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't have approached the kid. I would have found a woman nearby to approach the girl for exactly this reason. As I single guy I cannot be around children by myself without getting the look. It sucks he got punished for doing the right thing and its great he found the girl, but the reaction of the Father to this is not surprising at all. Just a sign of how screwed up society is right now.

Blader

That guy should absolutely press charges. He just had his life ruined for helping a lost child find her dipshit father.

He was heading towards the parking lot, geez.

It just takes one sustained incident and boom, your baby might not be seen again. Child kidnapping is real folks.

In the moment, would you not always assume the worst?

Oh no.

"..family members and friends went on social media and shared the man’s photo, his Facebook page and his place of business, “calling him a child predator,” WFLA said."

That's a bit much.

Not only did you not read the OP, you couldn't even read the full thread title!

Google

Part of me thinks a few of you guys need to have a little more self-confidence to know you're doing a positive thing by helping a kid and to tell those people you think are giving you a look to fuck off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hate to say it, but I wouldn't have approached the kid. I would have found a woman nearby to approach the girl for exactly this reason. As I single guy I cannot be around children by myself without getting the look. It sucks he got punished for doing the right thing and its great he found the girl, but the reaction of the Father to this is not surprising at all. Just a sign of how screwed up society is right now.

The initial reaction isn't too surprising, but the slander and ruining of the guy's life even after the truth came out?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Taking her to the parking lot probably wasn't the best idea. Clearly he "did the right thing" but probably wasn't thinking about how it looked to other people. It says it was a softball game so I'd probably try to get the attention of one of the officials, potentially have them stop the game and make an announcement that the girl was lost. Either that or call the cops and have them take over.
The article says he was nearing the playground. The aggressive father is the one claiming they were 'heading to the parking lot'.

Shoeless

A bit? This guy could use every single one of those people for all they've got and win. They literally forced him to move out of the town he lived it. They ruined his life and the life of his family for no reason. Dude tried to do the right thing and got his life destroyed.

Y'know, for a nation that is obsessed with the Christian religion, America... does not do a very good job of putting that declared faith into practice.

As a father of a 2 year old girl, it blows my mind that the father let his daughter wonder off for what seems like an extended period of time in a public place. If I am out in public with my daughter, unless she is strapped to a chair, I literally can't think of anything else other than where she is and what she is doing.

I would probably ask a few nearby adults if they knew who the child was, that way there would be ample witnesses who were aware of my intent before approaching the child

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://patch.com/florida/lakeland/man-beaten-facebook-shamed-helping-lost-girl-cops

The investigating officer noted the victim’s face was swollen and had several cuts.

After speaking to the parties involved and talking with a witness who heard the victim repeatedly ask the little girl if men they saw happened to be her father, the officer decided no crime had been committed by the victim. Instead, the report noted, the the victim was asked if he wanted to press charges against the men who hit him.

While the victim declined to seek prosecution on battery charges, saying he understood how the incident could be “perceived incorrectly,” the father was not happy with the outcome. The report noted the little girl’s dad was “increasingly agitated” that charges would not be filed against the man he found his daughter with.

I'd urge the victim to press charges.

I've had a guy get in my face and try to start a fight over holding his son back from running after a soccer ball into a busy street, no exaggeration. Who the fuck am I to "grab" his son, he's not stupid enough to do that bla bla...the kid was maybe 4/5 years old and almost off the sidewalk and in between parked cars when I grabbed him already.

That being said, I'd do it again any time in a potential life/death scenario like this, but I'd completely understand very sadly enough if someone would prefer to do the minimum and walk away after in a not-as-dire situation seeing shit like this article. When you can't even cool your testosterone jets AFTER being proven wrong, it's a sad affair.

RomeoDog

Banned
The dude did the wrong thing.. walking holding hands towards parking lot after failing to find the parents immediately is the wrong thing to do.

You have to stay in the area, you have to work with other people.

This guy wasn't normal. He doesn't deserve to have his life ruined for it, he didn't deserve to be beaten up.

But he was doing a really stupid thing thinking he should drive or walk anywhere (even a police station with her).

For the police you also stay in the area.

Zoe

The dude did the wrong thing.. walking holding hands towards parking lot after failing to find the parents immediately is the wrong thing to do.

You have to stay in the area, you have to work with other people.

This guy wasn't normal. He doesn't deserve to have his life ruined for it, he didn't deserve to be beaten up.

But he was doing a really stupid thing thinking he should drive anywhere (even a police station with her)

The only one saying he was going to the parking lot is the father.

Sulik2

The initial reaction isn't too surprising, but the slander and ruining of the guy's life even after the truth came out?

Good point. Everything after the fact of the immediate day is ridiculous. Father needs to be sued for everything he is worth.

Shoeless

I've had a guy get in my face and try to start a fight over holding his son back from running after a soccer ball into a busy street, no exaggeration. Who the fuck am I to "grab" his son, he's not stupid enough to do that bla bla...the kid was maybe 4/5 years old and almost off the sidewalk and in between parked cars when I grabbed him already.

I'd bet even money that if you'd let that kid run past and get hit by a car, that same guy would have screaming in your face about not stopping him.

hokahey

So one person gets beat up for doing the right thing and now countless people in this thread won't help a lost child if they see one. For fucks sake people. I have helped lost children find their parents a number of times, and have never been beat up. If you need advice, try not to wander off with the child. Stand with them until the parent finds you. If they don't find you, call the police. But don't leave them alone to fend for themselves. Jesus.

Meier

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Moral of the story: Never help anyone

watershed

Banned
So the actual family let their toddler wander without supervision and are blaming this guy for their bad judgment? Fuck em.

Shoeless

I've gleaned from the responses to the LakelandPD Facebook post that the good Samaritan was an Indian guy. I'm sad to say but the fact it was a brown man helping probably made the situation even worse.

Sadly, I just assumed the person trying to help wasn't white. It makes the explosive reaction that much more understandable.

Metalgus

Banned

Wow... A 5 year old can still get caught in the moment and run in the street after his ball. It has nothing to do with stupidity. If we must label someone stupid in this story it's the father!

Duxxy3

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do anything. Anything at all. Because people are fucking crazy.

So just ignore everyone. See someone on fire? Keep your head down and walk away. Person screaming for help? Didn't hear a damn thing, keep walking.

I'd bet even money that if you'd let that kid run past and get hit by a car, that same guy would have screaming in your face about not stopping him.

As a matter of fact, the father was such a fucking twat, he smacked his son over the head in response to the whole thing prior to flipping out on me. Frankly, I did consider beating his ass just for that, but I gladly came to my senses a split second later and just walked away while he was still ranting.

And yes, of course, imagine if the poor child had been run over by a car with me shrugging on the sidewalk...I mean come on.

hokahey

So one person gets beat up for doing the right thing and now countless people in this thread won't help a lost child if they see one. For fucks sake people. I have helped lost children find their parents a number of times, and have never been beat up. If you need advice, try not to wander off with the child. Stand with them until the parent finds you. If they don't find you, call the police. But don't leave them alone to fend for themselves. Jesus.

Ferrio

Banned
Stranger Danger was such a mistake. I had some next door kids who wanted to play with my cat, and they kept trying to follow it into my place. I was a single guy at the time, and I was paranoid as shit that someone would freak.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've gleaned from the responses to the LakelandPD Facebook post that the good Samaritan was an Indian guy. I'm sad to say but the fact it was a brown man helping probably made the situation even worse. The father just sounds like a typical backwoods Florida asshole in every regard (I say this as a dude from Florida).

Yeah, I was about to mention that he was of Indian descent.

Jeremy

Yep, it's just an American thing.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...s/news-story/96f86745202e32acc4122898d36d6889

"MORE than two thirds of Australian men admit they would be at least somewhat reluctant to help a lost child for fear they would be viewed as a pervert. "

oh hey

the part of the thread where I leave cause we're now in a race to prove #NotJustAmerica hates other people's kids.

whoops there goes the UK

https://************/uk/183092-adults-afraid-help-children/

"Almost two out of three British adults would hesitate to help a lost child because they fear being falsely accused of something sinister, a new study reveals. "

"A fear of being accused of attempting to commit wrongdoing or of someone misreading their intentions was the most commonly cited hurdle to approaching a youngster. This was apparent in 73 percent of men surveyed and 56 percent of women. "

USA! USA! USA! like how fragile is your identity that you're about to find every study from every country that supports their men being afraid to help children

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
its weird how finding a woman is the answer, just because she is a woman means she is not a predator?

Why would you ask the child?

My instincts are to ask whoever is in charge to be aware or a couple if it is their child.

It's fucked up what happened but at the same time, what was he thinking?

I find your stance baffling given how you just got taken advantage of for being nice to strangers. I would think you'd be more understanding.

the part of the thread where I leave cause we're now in a race to prove #NotJustAmerica hates other people's kids.

USA! USA! USA! like how fragile is your identity that you're about to find every study from every country that supports their men being afraid to help children

???
Seems somewhat relevant since a few posters were saying men being afraid to help children must just be a 'merican thing. What's wrong with pointing that out as inaccurate?

its weird how finding a woman is the answer, just because she is a woman means she is not a predator?

Since women are considered the default child carers by society most people feel more at ease with that, even if the woman doesn't know the kid. I can also think of more news stories where men were outed as pedophiles or child abuses (which would increase the public's perception that man + child can be suspicious), but women certainly can and do abuse children.

Keri

I think people are underestimating the fear that parents (and especially new parents) have. It's not limited to men. I read a mommy forum and, in the year I've been reading it, there have been multiple posts from moms, concerned about creepy women following them in Baby's R' Us or at the park. With women, the concern is that they're trying to snatch your baby to raise as their own.

I think the fear is really targeted towards any adult, that doesn't also have a child with them. And I think maybe men suffer more from this specific bias, because we're less likely to assume that men have children with them or are the ones caring for a child.

L Thammy

Not even from the States, kiddo. I have no American identity. I did a quick search for the stats on men ignoring lost children - because I knew I've seen it before - and the first one I saw was from Australian. Now you have people claiming it's an American phenomenon.

I think stranger danger is a huge part of it, but sexism is another part. Women are viewed as mother figures by default. Men aren't viewed as father figures in the same way. I don't think that sexism is exclusive to America.

abuC

The old lost baby trick? Not today.

980Jqz.gif

Top Bottom