• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: The Last Knight |SPOILER THREAD| The worst movie about cars this year

Toa TAK

Banned

Directed by: Michael Bay
Written by: No one
Executively Produced by: the sellout Steven Spielberg
Score by: Steve Jablonsky
Release Date: June 21st 2017

4q8oyxG.png

Well:

Pq0kRnd.png

Prepare your cheeks.

Here we are. All of us in this OT are likely the ones who keep fucking with this series with each installment only to be left disappointed, cold, and alone each time. Why do we keep doing this? Are we really such masochists to constantly endure horrible film adaptations of franchises we love? Do we REALLY need to see what happens in this Transformers flick as opposed to just leaving off after the third? Second? ...First? I don't even know what *really* happened in the fourth one (and no, no one can make sense of it) and apparently neither did critics (but they're too busy one-upping each other for our amusement, anyways). Just, whatever you do, don't let the fans handle the story, either:

4r4nCi9.png

The fuck am I reading?

I'll tell you this much: the story still won't make sense, the characters will still be terrible, and the action (and apparently the international audience?) will be the only things that save it. Also, Bay will come back to finish his trilogy. Oh, didn't you hear? Beyond the Fumblebee Bumblebee flick that's coming next, you have to endure at least one more Transformer movie in this story arc. Why? Clearly the endgame with the Earth being Unicron and Evillll Optimus isn't enough. I dunno about you guys, but I'm not feeling any good vibrations here.

b9fMbgK.png

The Last Knight. Yes really. But don't laugh, he'll beat your ass. In rhyme.

Remember when he was in The Elephant Man? Trust me, he does, too.

The movie also has M'gann Faux and a little girl who prompts people fight to like a man (I think), I think. N.E.S.T guy comes back, too I guess. And I'm reminded Stanley Tucci does as well. Yeah, that's it. I'd elaborate more, but let's be real here. You don't give a fuck about these people, it's all about the Transformers. The secondary/supporting characters that share the name of the series. You just have to get through a couple hours of Bayisms and then you can get to the robot fighting for some scattered 22 minutes across the film. The last 8 are credits, of course.

F3RA1UA.png

Respected, world-renowned actor Anthony Hopkins had this to say about the director of this film:
Anthony Fucking Hopkins said:
He was telling me about the work he did on [the Transformers bots] – how he would refine them and go into the special effects guys and design them and get all the details of light on metal and all that. He told me all that at breakfast before I started on the film. I thought ‘This guy's a genius. He really is.' He's the same ilk as Oliver Stone and Spielberg and Scorsese. Brilliance. Savants, really, they are. He's a savant.
Michael Bay is of the same ilk as Oliver Stone, Spielberg, and Scorsese:

romeo-and-juliet-laws.jpg

Works for me!

Of course, this could be just him blowing up smoke. But who knows how he really feels?

eAr1TyA.gif

Just recently (as in, the second time this year) Mikhal has proclaimed his departure from the Transformers series. And I quote:
Bayhem said:
"These movies that I've done, they are massive movies. They take a lot out of you," Bay said when we asked if he was finally — for real, this time — stepping away from the Transformers franchise. ”I've done it enough, and I've had a great time doing it. I'm going out with a bang on this one, and I feel like you gotta go out while you're ahead, you know. I think I've had a good run, and I've got a lot of other movies I want to do."
Michael Bay seems to be chained to the Transformer series and he can't seem to break free. Every film since the 2nd he claims will be his last, but like a bad case amnesia he forgets about his commitment to break free and returns, (triumphantly?) anyways. Come on, Michael. We're rooting for you. You can do it. You can break free.
And hey, he won't be alone in walking out on the series.

ND9HH3Q.gif

It seems after the ass-beating of the first film, fans cried about how neutered Optimus Prime was. Reserving the final blow against Megatron to the film's protagonist and not the supporting character that Prime was. Well Senpai heard your prayers, and boy, did he deliver on a whole new Optimus Prime:

7KIM06B.gif

NfNg4TL.gif

k1hbyO4.gif

Remember the G1 Prime? Or even the Prime Prime of recent? The moral, righteous, Optimus Prime who valued life across the board? The guy who seemed to be a stand-in father figure for kids in the 80s as an exemplar of what's right and wrong? The difference between justice and vengeance? To put others before yourself and show mercy to everyone? Well you can kiss that Optimus Prime good-bye. Bay's Optimus just doesn't give a shit anymore. He doesn't take prisoners and just wants to kill. No forgiveness, no mercy, and no lubricating. But wait! You say as you race to the keyboard, He's only like this ‘cause of years of warfare! Brudda, which version isn't? Bay doesn't care about that crap. Murderous Prime lives only for glorious face-rips and ignoring pleas for a truce that would stop entire planets from being plunged into eternal warfare. That's the role model people had when they grew up watching the original show, right? It's only natural, after all, in this latest installment that Optimus Prime would go full villain after horrifically tearing away at Transformers and human beings alike.

tumblr_okt2r9xWg91v2lbnko3_500.gif

Bumblebee gets squashed like a bug.

OPPPyvL.png

The review embargos don't go up until sometime before midnight (7pm PDT). So this is under construction until then. However, as one bright member points out:
Why do the movies need reviews though? Everybody already knows what to expect:

-Explosions
-Giant Robots clashing in a city with half the buildings crumbling down
-Attractive women with half of their screentime being tuned to emphasize that fact
-More explosions
-Virtually nonexistent plot
-Awkward humor and occasionally a good, witty one liner
-Some really good shots (e.g. football stadium scene from the first one)
-Some not so good ones that make you dizzy
-Even more explosions
-A solid score from Steve Jablonsky
-More "humans are special"
-Rewriting of history
-Forgot to mention explosions

Not sure what else to expect of Bay. Nevertheless, it should be an entertaining watch. I like long popcorn flicks.
6dcaEDm.png

seeing Optimus Prime become a straight up murderous shit has been hilarious. it all culminates to the last knight trailer where they tease him killing bumblebee and mark wahlberg haha
Michael Bay is one of modern cinema's greatest auteurs and I will gladly exchange American dollars for two and a half hours of Bayhem every 2 to 3 years.
Seems like they're banking on Evil Prime

On a related note, I rewatched Dark of the Moon today, and man, that shit was fucking terrible.
That Megan Fox look a like haha.
Will watch.
"Every legend hides a secret"

So Bumblebee is a nazi.
Transformers vs Ghidorah?
The Human parts are fucking atrocious and the actual transformers action is amazing. So yeah that's a transformers movie alright.
People who liked Pain & Gain genuinely frighten me.

D2I55wx.png

RMIBuuN.png

Review Thread
Official Website
Lindsay Ellis' The Whole Plate: Film Studies through a Lens of Transformers
I actually kind of appreciate the Transformers movies

*And as always, credit to Quick for the awesome imagery, and going a step beyond with the gifs.

cr0w

Old Member
I continue to fuck with this series and my inner 6-year-old continues to be entertained as fuck by each one of them. I don't knowingly walk into McDonald's and get offended when they serve me what's on their menu instead of haute cuisine.

Going first thing Saturday morning, can't wait.

jett

D-Member
Goddamn those gifs. For some reason I never noticed before how savage and brutal Optimus is in these shits. Is this Michael Bay's way of getting something off his chest? If these characters were humans I don't think these scenes would even make it to theaters if the movies were rated R.

sphagnum

Banned
So some spoilers I saw floating over on TFW from people who saw the premier:

-No explanation for Megatron's reversion to his old name or his new body
-The big thing crashing into Earth is the wrecked Cybertron
-Marky Mark is the last knight, I guess he's a descendant of King Arthur?
-Only Autobot who dies is Canopy
-Earth is Unicron but dormant
-Quintessa shows up in human form in the post credits scene on Earth seeking to awaken Unicron

Who knows if these are true but they all fit more or less.

The Kree

Banned
Goddamn those gifs. For some reason I never noticed before how savage and brutal Optimus is in these shits. Is this Michael Bay's way of getting something off his chest? If these characters were humans I don't think these scenes would even make it to theaters if the movies were rated R.

He's not getting anything off his chest. He's smashing toys together for no reason like a child.

Two hundred fifty million dollar toys.

Pilgrimzero

I hate all of these. Yet I've seen every one :(

It's like a horrible blood soaked car wreck. I don't want to see but I can't look away.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

-Quintessa shows up in human form in the post credits scene on Earth seeking to awaken Unicron

001.jpg

OwbQY.gif

cr0w

Old Member

oh man this has potential

Jake2by4

Da hell did I read

You guys can blame that Transformers Prime show for the Unicron stuff.

And now you can be sure that you'll never see a planet sized Unicron in the movies because it would kill all life on Earth just to transform.

sphagnum

Banned
You guys can blame that Transformers Prime show for the Unicron stuff.

And now you can be sure that you'll never see a planet sized Unicron in the movies because it would kill all life on Earth.

Nonsense. Just have them remove his spark from the Earth's core and implant it in Mars or Venus.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have no interest in this movie beyond mocking its fans (who only like it post-ironically) but that is one classy OP and my hat is off to it.

Lunar15

Is this bay's last? I keep seeing "The Final Chapter" everywhere.

Does this mean they'll reboot it? I'm kinda interested in seeing this franchise get rebooted with someone else at the helm.

sphagnum

Banned
Is this bay's last? I keep seeing "The Final Chapter" everywhere.

Does this mean they'll reboot it? I'm kinda interested in seeing this franchise get rebooted with someone else at the helm.

It's his last, but it's not being rebooted. They already have multiple sequels planned out.

Pizza

If the character design was better, I'd have less of a problem with these films. I feel like the gifs in the op (prime fisting that dude) are great examples of how the so-so art direction negatively impacts the action scene bay wants to do.

They're just at good at being faithful Transformers movies as then Marvel movies are at being faithful adaptations of the comics they're named after so I'm not at all shocked with how popular they are.

That said, this looks like they've finally gone full stupid so I will be there day one to see Mark Arthur swordfight optimus prime who is probably riding on a junkyard dinosaur

Used-ID

First off, awesome OT

Second, how the hell are they continually making these movies worse?
Earth is Omicron?

W T F

Does Sargent Kabuki-man and The Toxic Avenger show up to thwart Optimus Prime while cheesy '80s hair-metal rock songs blare over the mandatory explosions?

... Sad part is that would probably closer to the original material than this movie.
Plus I'm bitter over how these movies treated Soundwave.

SirKhalid

I saw it yesterday, I can tell you that most of this is true. But I don't think he was a descendant of King Arthur. He was just "chosen". I am not sure about the seeking to awaken Unicron part. But we see her in a human form in a post credits scene.

sphagnum

Banned
I saw it yesterday, I can tell you that most of this is true. But I don't think he was a descendant of King Arthur. He was just "chosen". I am not sure about the seeking to awaken Unicron part. But we see her in a human form in a post credits scene.

Was there a submarine Transformer? Also, what is that thing rising up out of the ocean that Prime and Bumblebee fight on?

Skilletor

Optimus prime shot a human with a transformers gun in one of the movies. I had to blink several times to process what happened.

Prime has been evil since part 2.

Frasier stuck a gun in Cade Yeager's face. What did he think was going to happen? Optimus looks out for his human buddy Cade Yeager (he never calls him Cade, always Cade Yeager).

SArcher

Banned
Apparently at one point in the movie Anthony Hopkins looks straight into the camera and says "Isn't it a bitching ride?". :D

Top Bottom