• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840 said:
Really? Your from the UK right? I have never heard about this in the states. You usually can't change the color of lights on the vehicle, but adding fog lights and such is fine.

Depending on the jurisdiction the vehicle owner for making the vehicle "distracting". Like the people who bling up their Civics with the neon lights and whatnot. So just check in on your local laws.

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
Depending on the jurisdiction the vehicle owner for making the vehicle "distracting". Like the people who bling up their Civics with the neon lights and whatnot. So just check in on your local laws.

Well yeah, but those people should be fined anyway.:lol

daw840 said:
Well yeah, but those people should be fined anyway.:lol

While I agree, it's led to some people's bikes getting impounded for the same reason, despite the fact that motorcycles/scooters/bicycles NEED to have more attention drawn to them so people in cars will NOTICE them.

FiRez

daw840 said:
You could try, but I would be wary of a weak electrical system. How many cc's?

just 100cc, Yamaha BWS 100, just like the Zuma in US but with a 100cc motor and some aditional body parts :p

yamaha-bws.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
I would go with a LED foglight http://www.jcwhitney.com/Fog-Lamps/GP_2017635_N_111+20004580+600019956_10111.jcw

superbright and draws less power than a regular bulb.

Thanks, I will check it and I'm quite sure is legal, I've seen several trucks with halogen bulbs that leaves me blind for a moment

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
Regarding the LED, just make sure it's legal in your area. It's illegal in some places to have additional lights on a vehicle and you can get your ride impounded...

Really?

It's common to see setups like this over here.

2nswapd.jpg

On big ass GS 1200's at least. :lol

daw840

Holy shit man, that would make it look like daylight wherever you went. You could play a football game at midnight with just that bike!:lol

Ashhong said:
im only 20, so yea i have plenty of time

Indeed. I started riding at 18, and this June will be the 2 year mark (I'm 20 also).

Flo_Evans said:
I just think it looks a bit cheesy.

http://www.ducatimotorcycle.net/images/ducati-monster-696-left.jpg

Looks like a toy or something. :lol I didn't really like the 999 design either but they blew me away with the 1048. Hopefully next year it looks a bit more serious. I am pretty set on the 848 for my next bike, unless I can buy my old monster back... actually an SR4 monster of my old vintage would be sweet. :D

The Superbikes are always cool looking. The 1098//848/1198 looks good, sure...but design-wise it's basically an anorexic Japanese supersport. I'd probably say their latest Superbikes are the best looking to me, too...but I definitely think the 999 was more original. One bike I saw in person a few days ago has the same headlight design and it is one sexy machine. So much carbon fiber.

image-1.jpg

40 grand, though :(

thesoapster said:
The Superbikes are always cool looking. The 1098//848/1198 looks good, sure...but design-wise it's basically an anorexic Japanese supersport. I'd probably say their latest Superbikes are the best looking to me, too...but I definitely think the 999 was more original. One bike I saw in person a few days ago has the same headlight design and it is one sexy machine. So much carbon fiber.

image-1.jpg

40 grand, though :(

kidfreakingout.gif

goddamn

Flo_Evans said:
jizzinmypants.gif

Never seen a bimota in person. Did you touch it? :D :lol

Yeah, but not allowed to sit on them. They also had that bizarre Tesi 3D one...

image-1.jpg

Pretty sure the suspension on it is...parallel to the ground? It's bizarre.

I was mainly ogling the DB7. It's hard to see in the picture...but there is a looooooooot of carbon fiber on that bike. Lots. The design of the bike is crazy because I realize it's hand built, has all these nice components, carbon fiber...but you know what I thought at the shop? I turned around, looked at my bike (they had the same one there), looked back and thought "...40k. For a bike slower than mine. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH yarite"

One of the techs at the shop pretty much mirrored my thoughts on it, too. Being "I think I'd break down and cry the first time it ever got a single scratch on it."

Flo_Evans

The Tesi 3d one kind of reminds me of the italjet dragster.

italjet.jpg

Kind of over complicated for the sake of it. Sometimes I think the italians put design of engineering. Like regular forks work pretty damn well, why do you need to make some crazy paralever suspension and steering linkage? But damn they are sexy.

I've always wondered Dragona, is your bike a him or a her? Or do women not think about vehichles as sexual objects? I like my car, but I love my bike. I feel a much deeper connection to the machine. I don't think its uncommon either because every time you are out riding you always run into some guy that walks up to you and starts talking about his old bike like a long lost girlfriend. :lol

Flo_Evans said:
I've always wondered Dragona, is your bike a him or a her? Or do women not think about vehichles as sexual objects? I like my car, but I love my bike. I feel a much deeper connection to the machine. I don't think its uncommon either because every time you are out riding you always run into some guy that walks up to you and starts talking about his old bike like a long lost girlfriend. :lol

This never seems to happen to me. We have lots of riders in the area, too. Maybe because >3/4 of them are Harley riders and they have a secret hate for me (and other sport bikers) :lol

edit: I don't feel as much of a connection with my car because I drive a Honda Civic. The most "connected" part of it to me is that it's a manual...otherwise it's just a die hard commuter car. I think if I had an M3 or Evo or something I'd feel differently about my car, but eh. Nothing (street legal, anyway) comes close to matching the man-machine connection that a bike has with its rider.

Flo_Evans said:

Well I've never thought of a vehicle as a "sexual object", that's kinda creepy. :p

I'm guessing you mean "gendered", in which case, well...

I'm crazier than most, as I name my vehicles. For instance I had a "female" Volvo named "Bessie", a "male" Nissan named "Alejandro", and my current bike is "Harriet". It's like naming a pet.

Flo_Evans

One day late, but it's Burt Munro's Birthday! (March 25th)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro

2wnzp1i.jpg

bff1i8.jpg

This movie is great, any motorcycle fan will love it. A few off performances and a little slow in places but I love it. Always makes me go out to the garage and say to myself "what can I do to make this thing go faster?" :D

Scarecrow

I need some advice. It's about to hit the rain season where I live, and I'm pretty terrified of riding in the rain. However, I know I need to man up and face this. Do you guys have any advice for rain riding?

Scarecrow said:
I need some advice. It's about to hit the rain season where I live, and I'm pretty terrified of riding in the rain. However, I know I need to man up and face this. Do you guys have any advice for rain riding?

1) Buy Raingear that is waterproof and is highly reflective. During a heavy rainstorm it becomes harder for people in autos to see you. Not to mention the fact it gets VERY COLD, VERY QUICKLY when you're riding wet. Being cold makes you tired, and being tired is dangerous on a bike.

2) If it's just started raining, go get a tea or coffee somewhere and wait about twenty minutes or so.

This is to allow time for the rain to wash away the oils that have accumulated on the roads prior. The most dangerous time to ride is when it has just started raining because the rain draws the oil out of asphalt and everything becomes extra slippery.

Twenty minutes should be enough time to allow for the rain to wash everything away.

3) Take your time. In everything. Go much slower and be extra careful on turns.

I ride in inclement weather all the time, if you follow the above, you'll be fine... if a bit damp (unfortunately raingear will still let rain in around the helmet unless you've got one with a hood to wear under the helmet).

daw840

Well, there is a huge winter storm warning in effect right now for the entire KC area, so far there is ice on everything and the temp is about 30 degrees. I haven't even been able to get on the bike since Monday. :(

I thought it was supposed to be spring......

Long story short, I'm a cautious(but not very good) driver living in North East USA(central NJ).

Which would be better for me: a scooter or a motorcycle? Further, what type of scooter/motorcycle would be best?

I have the genital fortitude to ride a scooter without shame, and aesthetics really don't matter to me. As long as it's cheap, safe, and easy, I don't really care.

daw840

KO Traveling Hobo said:
Long story short, I'm a cautious(but not very good) driver living in North East USA(central NJ).

Which would be better for me: a scooter or a motorcycle? Further, what type of scooter/motorcycle would be best?

I have the genital fortitude to ride a scooter without shame, and aesthetics really don't matter to me. As long as it's cheap, safe, and easy, I don't really care.

Look into the Honda Rebel 250, or a Ninja 250 for a starter bike. Fun, and cheap.

Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-1.jpg

Honda-Rebel.jpg

KO Traveling Hobo said:

I'd personally recommend a motorcycle, where you at least don't look as silly as a person on a scooter with full protective gear. You don't have to get a powerful motorcycle, (250cc should do you and then some, considering you're thinking of a scooter), you have better balance on a motorcycle, and most importantly you're taller and easier to be seen than someone on a scooter.

Scooters tend to get better mileage for fuel, but if you're sticking with a smaller cc bike (say a 250cc Ninja), you're not going to see much of a difference.

I'm not sure about where you live, but depending on the jurisdiction if you have a scooter and pass your licence on that you only have a restricted licence that can only ride scooters. You may as well get your full motorcycle licence in this case. It will be better for insurance purposes anyway, even if you decide to get a scooter.

What I'd say you do is take a motorcycle safety course. You get to ride the bikes for a long period of time in a close course and you can make your decision much easier then.

Regardless of what you decide: ride safe, wear your gear (even if you look silly on a scooter) and have fun!

KO Traveling Hobo said:

Well the first thing to consider is what you would be using it for. Anything above 49cc in MD (where I live) requires a motorcycle license to operate. If you're commuting on small streets/downtown where traffic isn't going >35 mph you could get by with a 49cc scooter. Otherwise you'll need to go to something bigger.

One thing that does confuse me a little is why you say you're not a very good driver...might need some more explanation there...

Scooters in general are cheaper than motorcycles and easier to operate. As for what's safe...going on two wheels naturally increases your risk of injury in an accident, so the first bit of safety is you as a rider, and if that fails...your gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots...all part of motorcyclist wardrobe). I see a lot of 49cc scooter riders riding around with a shirt, jeans, and shoes on. They're not required to wear a helmet or have eye protection here. Don't be like them, as if you get in a wreck chances are good you'll get fucked up pretty badly.

So. Let's start with the basics...what are you wanting one for?

edit: and yes, as mentioned by Dragona...whichever route you do take it's worth it to take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course) and get a motorcycle license.

Christopher said:
Boy would I love a bike...

What's stopping you?

daw840

Christopher said:
Boy would I love a bike...

So get one. You can find a good used bike for 1000-1500 that will suit you perfectly. Plus, it probably won't depreciate hardly at all by that point, as long as you keep it in good condition.

daw840 said:
Look into the Honda Rebel 250, or a Ninja 250 for a starter bike. Fun, and cheap.
Like most starters these days, the Ninja 250 is what I've had my eyes on. The only reason I'm apprehensive is because it seems to me that its narrow/light design would make it hard to handle. I'm digging that Rebel though, and will definitely look into it.

Dragona Akehi said:
you have better balance on a motorcycle
Really? Major points to motorcycles if that's the case. I'm only really considering scooters since they always seemed like easy-mode compared to proper motorcycles.

thesoapster said:
Well the first thing to consider is what you would be using it for.
One thing that does confuse me a little is why you say you're not a very good driver...might need some more explanation there...
So. Let's start with the basics...what are you wanting one for?
I've been completely in love with motorcycles since I was a little kid, and now that I'm older I can also appreciate the lower cost. :D

I mostly mentioned that I'm not a very good driver since I wanted to emphasize that something easier to handle would probably be better, even if it means a hit in performance.

As for what I'd be using it for...I'm not entirely sure. :lol My home is in the suburbs and my university is in the city, but I've also been wanting to take a roadtrip.

I've got the MSF site bookmarked, and I'm really hoping to take the course this summer.

Thanks for the help everyone!

KO Traveling Hobo said:
Like most starters these days, the Ninja 250 is what I've had my eyes on. The only reason I'm apprehensive is because it seems to me that its narrow/light design would make it hard to handle. I'm digging that Rebel though, and will definitely look into it.

I'm not a fan of sport seating, but the Ninja is very comfortable and not at all foreboding to a new rider sitting on it. It's quite natural. The Rebel is a bit too short for my liking, my knees cramp up. Make sure whatever bike you decide on getting you sit on them and see how it goes.

Really? Major points to motorcycles if that's the case. I'm only really considering scooters since they always seemed like easy-mode compared to proper motorcycles.

If you think about it, it's like a bicycle: you've got one leg on either side for better balance, rather than putting your legs right under your butt. I never liked that about scooters, but I'm an old codger. They're "easy-mode" in that most scooters are so light you can haul them on your back, making them harder to ditch (you have a further to go leaning before you reach the point of "no return" and fall off). But a 250 Ninja or Rebel are also very light, just not in comparison to a scooter.

I've been completely in love with motorcycles since I was a little kid, and now that I'm older I can also appreciate the lower cost. :D

No brainer then! Get a motorcycle~! You don't have to get anything fancy, I'm more than happy with my little 500cc Honda Shadow, though eventually I'll have to get something else due to her age.

Best part is that in fixing a bike you're literally paying a fraction of the cost of that of an equivalent repair on an automobile. That and the mileage... why would you ride anything else (unless you have to haul a lot of crap around)?

I mostly mentioned that I'm not a very good driver since I wanted to emphasize that something easier to handle would probably be better, even if it means a hit in performance.

Well, I'd say you're a good candidate for riding already: you're scared shitless of the bike's potential and question your own riding abilities. Really, that's a good thing.

As for what I'd be using it for...I'm not entirely sure. :lol My home is in the suburbs and my university is in the city, but I've also been wanting to take a roadtrip.

Well there you go. I don't think a scooter would be the best choice only because it looks like you'd be needing to take major motorways at least some of the time.

I've got the MSF site bookmarked, and I'm really hoping to take the course this summer.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Soon you'll be one of us!

Smokey

I want a bike. I've wanted one for a very long time now. This summer I may finally take the class or w/e (never rode a bike before) and pick one up. I am clueless on what to start with though. Scooter is out of the question as I have a reputation to uphold and if I get caught riding a scooter around here it would be bad news:lol .

I saw you guys mention the Ninja 250? Is this what is generally recommended for starters?

Smokey said:
I want a bike. I've wanted one for a very long time now. This summer I may finally take the class or w/e (never rode a bike before) and pick one up.

Taking a safety course is always a great idea. Even if you end up not wanting to ride, it isn't a waste of money because you now know whether you want to ride. Plus some (not many, admittedly) insurance companies will count the motorcycle certificate towards auto insurance.

I am clueless on what to start with though. Scooter is out of the question as I have a reputation to uphold and if I get caught riding a scooter around here it would be bad news:lol .

First off, if this is your attitude, that you have a "reputation to uphold" you should rethink your reasons for wanting to ride a motorcycle.

Riding a motorcycle is a higher risk activity than driving a car. Fullstop.

Riding a motorcycle requires the full attention of the rider and the maturity to honestly be able to rate their (sometimes lack of) skill.

If you're going to feel like you have to "show off" or "prove you're able to ride" or that "you don't need a helmet/gear" don't even bother getting on one.

I'm sorry if this seems rude or harsh to you, but it's reality.

The last thing I want is for someone who shouldn't be riding, or riding with the wrong attitude to kill themselves. There are always the exceptions to this, the people who do stupid shit on their 1000cc supersports wearing t-shirts and flipflops but they're the exception, not the rule. It'll catch up to them eventually, or they'll get a close enough call that'll make them reconsider things.

I saw you guys mention the Ninja 250? Is this what is generally recommended for starters?

Yes, anything 250cc and under is best for new riders. You will usually be able to sell your starter bike for 95% of what you paid for it, as new riders are always wanting to learn, and therefore a small bike is always in demand.

Smokey

Dragona Akehi said:
Taking a safety course is always a great idea. Even if you end up not wanting to ride, it isn't a waste of money because you now know whether you want to ride. Plus some (not many, admittedly) insurance companies will count the motorcycle certificate towards auto insurance.

First off, if this is your attitude, that you have a "reputation to uphold" you should rethink your reasons for wanting to ride a motorcycle.

Riding a motorcycle is a higher risk activity than driving a car. Fullstop.

Riding a motorcycle requires the full attention of the rider and the maturity to honestly be able to rate their (sometimes lack of) skill.

Oh I know. If/when I get a bike I will not ride it w/o gear. It just won't happen. I'm not stupid. It's already dangerous as it is and I'm not cool enough to wear some shades and a tank top on a crotch rocket. So yeah, that definitely won't happen. I stand by my no scooter comment though. Can't do it.

Thanks for the info though. I've wanted to take the course for a long time or at least try and ride a bike and I think I'm going to do it this summer:D

Smokey said:
Oh I know. If/when I get a bike I will not ride it w/o gear. It just won't happen. I'm not stupid. It's already dangerous as it is and I'm not cool enough to wear some shades and a tank top on a crotch rocket. So yeah, that definitely won't happen. I stand by my no scooter comment though. Can't do it.

I'm glad to hear that. Again, it wasn't my intention to sound like an elitist jerk, but knowing your limits is a very important part of riding.

Thanks for the info though. I've wanted to take the course for a long time or at least try and ride a bike and I think I'm going to do it this summer:D

I really hope you enjoy your classes and that we'll see you in the thread!

Damaged

Scarecrow said:

The best thing i find for wet weather riding is to try and do things as smoothly as possible, nice gradual accelaration, plan when you need to brake and use a little more rear brake than normal (i normally tend to be about 90% front 10% rear in the dry but will go to about 70% front 30% Rear in the wet, Id rather have a rear skid than a front). Keep an eye out for desiel spills as the rain will bring up all kinds of rubbish from the road, oh and look out for wet leaves, the oil that comes out of them is lethal.

Best of Luck :)

That's definitely a concept...and will stay as such. It's revolting. It doesn't even look like a design that would be anywhere near functional. It looks like they just digitally cut out the side of the one of their cars and added a few little bits to it.

I went for a ride this weekend...and on my trip I saw an oncoming biker. I put out my left arm to do the "biker wave"...and I noticed he wasn't extending out his arm. "Bastard Harley rider" I thought (99% of them wave FWIW), then I saw it was a bike cop. Boo.

thesoapster said:
That's definitely a concept...and will stay as such. It's revolting. It doesn't even look like a design that would be anywhere near functional. It looks like they just digitally cut out the side of the one of their cars and added a few little bits to it.

It makes me want to hurt things, seeing something so ugly on two wheels.

I went for a ride this weekend...and on my trip I saw an oncoming biker. I put out my left arm to do the "biker wave"...and I noticed he wasn't extending out his arm. "Bastard Harley rider" I thought (99% of them wave FWIW), then I saw it was a bike cop. Boo.

Dude, that is seriously bad form on his part. Bike cops here always wave back when I do!

On another note: I was on the bus today (seat still being fixed) and I ended up in conversation with a lady in her 60s talking about how she misses her motorbike and how she's going to get another one this year. Warmed my heart.

As I always say: 250cc for a first bike. You'll sell it for almost what you bought it for.

It's worth taking your first year or so slowly. Not to mention the fact that as a new rider, you'll be raped from every orifice (and a few you didn't think you had) for anything over 500cc when looking for insurance.

Dragona Akehi said:
As I always say: 250cc for a first bike. You'll sell it for almost what you bought it for.

It's worth taking your first year or so slowly. Not to mention the fact that as a new rider, you'll be raped from every orifice (and a few you didn't think you had) for anything over 500cc when looking for insurance.

Absolutely. I've been shopping around for quotes and the rates for a 250cc bike, for me, is less than half of a 500cc. I can't imagine what it would be for anything bigger.

You need to learn how to ride a motorcycle on 250cc. Why? Simply because it's easy to control and easy not to drop. The instructors expect you to have zero experience. Learning to ride can be acheived in a two day saftey course.

As far as buying your first bike? The instructors at my course, and all the guys I know who have been riding for 40+ years, tell you to go sit on bikes and decide what you should get for yourself. You cannot have someone tell you this make and model is what you should get. You HAVE to sit on them.

I found that a little dinky 250cc felt too small and awkard for me. I didn't feel safe on it. I'm only 5'10'' and 180 pounds. Average/non-athletic build.

After weeks of looking, I sat on a certain 750cc cruiser. The handle bars were the perfect height, I could lean the bike side to side, I could roll myself back and forward fine, the seat was more comfrotable than any 250cc(I sat on many). They balanced the bike and let me set my feet on the foot pegs. My knees didn't come up past the tank like it did on the 250cc bikes and it all just felt right.

So... go sit on different bikes. I'm willing to bet you'll finde 500cc-750cc more comfortable and less awkard. Thus, being safer.

Even if you have your heart set on a certain 250cc(IMO the Ninja looks and feels less dinky) just sit on 500cc-750cc for shits and giggles. You have to gather data in person. I was sitting on all kinds of shit when I went looking. Things I knew I never could handle(Goldwing :lol ).

On my third day of riding.. I got on my new 750cc and took off down backroads. No hesitation. No looking back.

GAHHHHH I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE WHERE IS MY SEAAAAAAT

It's been an entire fortnight already... I need to get out on the roads already!

Dragona Akehi said:
Dude, that is seriously bad form on his part. Bike cops here always wave back when I do!

I don't know. A lot of the cops I've met (I know one of them pretty well as he and my brother went to school together) around here are pretty cool for the most part. I almost never see bike cops, and his ride of choice was an Electra Glide. I'm guessing he just doesn't like sport bikers...that or he just didn't see me. *shrugs*

If I was a bike cop I'd be one of the ones that are present in some states like Texas...I'd have a Hayabusa :lol

JayDub said:
What does everyone think of the Gladius? Monster rip off, good starter bike?

The Gladius is derived from their SV line...wouldn't really call it a Monster rip off (even if it was it would be cheaper...and faster hahah).

650 V-twin is the absolute upper limit of where you would want to start. I wouldn't even consider it unless you have taken the MSF course first...and even then (believe me I know this because my 1st bike that I owned was a 600cc i4 supersport) you'll have to really take it slow as you get used to that extra power. I was OK - never dropped it and rode it for a good bit and had fun - but the first days especially were a little nerve racking. The power difference between the 250s in the class (which are significantly slower than the Ninja 250, btw) and something like that is pretty enormous. You have to be extra careful and gentle.

So, it is possible to do alright and all...but I wouldn't pick up a Gladius. If you are looking at a bigger bike to start on I'd get it used. What was said is true...250s really hold their value well (especially the Ninja 250s...if you bought one of the news ones in 08 and then sold it this season you could make a profit as the price was hiked). Also, I think your basic skills will be honed quicker on a smaller bike because you're not having to spend the time getting used to all that extra power. If you want a Suzuki 650 V-twin just get the bike the Gladius was made from...the SV650/SV650S. Really it's not a bad idea to get a Ninja 250 (if you go that route) used, even...the problem then is availability and that it's sometimes almost easier to go buy it brand new. Funny thing is you won't save much in that market buying used because of how well they hold their value.

I'd say (especially for the first bike) to get some cut (as in having a shop cut the fairing where the strongest frame mount point is) frame sliders put on. Even though the fairing is cut it's a safe bet that they will add value to your machine. Plus if you were to low side or drop it it could really help save some cost. They're worth it. I recommend Woodcraft, R&G Racing (they're in the UK but they'll ship to the US), or Motovation.

edit: Also, big difference between a 750 cruiser and a 650 sport standard/supersport style...you're talking cutting off a few hundred pounds and adding more HP. Engine size is just one part of a bike's performance (look at Boss Hoss...those things can't beat a sport bike and weigh >1,000 lbs...but they have a V8! hurrr)

2nd edit: If you're looking for an in-between the EX500 (or Ninja 500R as it is now known) is also worth a look.

I'm really looking at getting a bike in the next month, but I've never ridden before. I've got my eye on a deal for 92 Ninja. The engine is 600 cc, is that too much for a beginner?

Top Bottom