• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Thank you very much! It's great to hear from new players who never played the series, we hope to deliver a great experience for everyone.

This is fantastic. Loved Dragon's trap (after never playing the original) so any more in the same vein is good by me.

Screens looks gorgeous as usual. Really appreciate the super increased frequency of updates (awesome idea!) and so excited to see the game becoming better and better.

You have a day one purchase coming from me. Hope Monster Boy sells millions and you produce a long-running series. Excellent work.

Fou-Lu

I still can't believe we are getting a new game in this series and that it looks so damn good. My childhood dreams are being realized. Keep up the good work!

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Thanks a lot GM and Fou-Lu <3 We hope for good sales too so we can continue the series!

Screens looks gorgeous as usual. Really appreciate the super increased frequency of updates (awesome idea!) and so excited to see the game becoming better and better.

You have a day one purchase coming from me. Hope Monster Boy sells millions and you produce a long-running series. Excellent work.

Eradicate

Hello FDG Thomas!

Amazing work on the game! I've been following it silently for a while. It's absolutely beautiful!

How is it working on this game from a cross-platform development standpoint? You'll definitely find an audience all around on all systems for it, I guess I'm always just curious to hear about insights into the development process for games coming out on so many different platforms! Is it challenging, or are most tools fairly standard that it makes the process easy? Any interesting stories in working with any of the companies for this game so far (Microsoft, Valve, Sony, Nintendo, etc.)?

Also, will you be putting up a new trailer for Gamescom 2017 to put on the main page? I know the current one is only about a year old, but hey, anymore I get to see the better, haha!

I can definitely see why it's so hard to pick your five favorite images! I've got my personal top five, but hopefully people will go to your Facebook page and see them all!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot GM and Fou-Lu <3 We hope for good sales too so we can continue the series!

Thank you too for the lovely response Thomas! Your ideas for Monster Boy, like spending the time to iterate the game significantly and make it much better, a "must have" as you said on the development blog, along with the idea to post frequent updates and participate here are all awesome - you clearly care about this game. Sounds like it's a labour of love.

There's still a lot of excitement and anticipation surrounding Monster Boy. Everyone was enamoured with it when it was announced and the final product is shaping up to be amazing, so I genuinely hope you sell millions and that leads to Monster Boy 2 and beyond. You have a purchase here from me along with the same from many other people on NeoGAF.

Good luck with the rest of development and I can't wait to play your game.

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Amazing work on the game! I've been following it silently for a while. It's absolutely beautiful!

Thanks a lot! ^^

How is it working on this game from a cross-platform development standpoint? You'll definitely find an audience all around on all systems for it, I guess I'm always just curious to hear about insights into the development process for games coming out on so many different platforms! Is it challenging, or are most tools fairly standard that it makes the process easy? Any interesting stories in working with any of the companies for this game so far (Microsoft, Valve, Sony, Nintendo, etc.)?

We made our own tools and game engine so we could optimize it perfectly to go with our needs. This helps us to achieve great performance on all platforms. With the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch we're lucky to have powerful target devices so it's actually a lot of fun to work on the game and keep improving it.

Also, will you be putting up a new trailer for Gamescom 2017 to put on the main page? I know the current one is only about a year old, but hey, anymore I get to see the better, haha!

We're still too busy with the game so we didn't work on another trailer for Gamescom. The next trailer needs to be perfect and requires our full attention so we take our time.

Good luck with the rest of development and I can't wait to play your game.
Thank you Ghost Messiah! :)

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
I posted something new in our blog today: sharing info about the auto-map feature of Monster Boy:
http://www.monsterboy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/27-Big-Game,-Big-Map!.html

MB_Automap.jpg

Renna Hazel

Game looks great, but I'm so ready for a release date at this point. Really hope it didn't slip into next year, this is my most wanted digital game for 2017.

Game looks great, but I'm so ready for a release date at this point. Really hope it didn't slip into next year, this is my most wanted digital game for 2017.

Seconded. This along with Sonic Mania are my most anticipated releases of the year, so I'd love for this to still be coming in 2017.

Guess we're waiting on an update from Thomas?

ffvorax

After Dragon Trap remake, I can't wait for this one to play!

I just preferred the fantastic art style of DT, but this is fine too. I don't complain really, more Monster Boy is always welcome!

Hmm. So small update on the development blog. Someone posted a comment complaining about the repeated delays and Thomas responded:

FDG,Thomas on Tuesday, September 26. 2017:
Sorry to keep you waiting but rest assured we don't do this to 'piss you off' - it's the opposite and we put a lot of work to meet your rightfully high expectations, especially after the long wait. Time is passing way too fast especially while working on this game project that we love so much. We put all the possible care into it and sometimes we can't keep up with up with our web presence like the blog. Just recently we updated our homepage and we had a lot of additional design work for the game. With the long production time we have to update all graphics to keep up with the expectations of a new 2018 game. I understand that you think this is a small game and we 'just' update the graphics. But this game is huge and you just saw the tip of the iceberg so far.

Guess that finally confirms the game is 2018. Hopefully early 2018. Happy to wait if they're focused on producing a fantastic game.

they updated the character design! Personally i dig it, but it's really different now, guess the promotional art of the game will change too?

new_characters_blog_1.jpg

i'm just worried that they seem a little bit too big, not sure if it will go well with the level design

eso76

they updated the character design! Personally i dig it, but it's really different now, guess the promotional art of the game will change too?

i'm just worried that they seem a little bit too big, not sure if it will go well with the level design

what, another redesign ?
I like that personally, but man this will take them a long time

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Are they ever going to be satisfied with the sprites? Haha.

I like the new one a lot better.

Eusis

I wonder if "but it's 2018!" holds that much water for a 2D game. At least one that looked like that one already did.

I'm guessing they mainly wanted to go for the same level as LizardCube or at least a visual consistency, being the standard for Wonder Boy now.

It's cool to see a long-awaited new update but TBH I prefer the original sprite based pixel designs. It feels like they're over iterating the art when they don't need to resulting in diminishing returns and in this instance a downgrade. It's cool they're going in to overdrive and polishing the game to the nth degree but this is one change that didn't need to happen IMO.

Thomas has confirmed Monster Boy is a 2018 game so hopefully it's set to release early in the year.

Syril

Wow those silhouettes are a big improvement.

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Hi Everyone,
we also wrote a blog post about the new hand-drawn style, please check it out
http://www.monsterboy.com/blog

The process is already going for a while and we have different people working on the animation and coloring while others keep improving the rest. Development staff is 15 people now as we really want to finish this game someday ;)

With the new changes we're going to reach a proper character consistency starting with artwork, ingame sprites and cutscenes. At the same time each transformation gets a new level of depth by the use of unique animation and proportion which feels just great. Feedback on the new style is mostly amazing so far - just wait until you see the rest. Please look forward to it ^_^ cheers!

RM8

I prefer smaller sprites - but I much prefer the new style (at least for the human character, lol). So yeah, why not? :)

Looks good. Will have to see it in motion of course.

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
I prefer smaller sprites - but I much prefer the new style (at least for the human character, lol). So yeah, why not? :)

Thank you! The size of the sprite is only changing slightly, we made it bigger here to spotlight the new design.

Powerpuff

No need to worry. The new sprites are probably bigger on their presentation poster to put the emphasis on the new design but they should scale the same in the game.

Oneself

Much, much better IMO. They finally nailed it.

Logbomb

Neo Member
Excellent, can't wait to see the animations! I think this new version is the most faithful to the old Monster World.

The different versions of the human form, dating back to 2014::
Characters.png

Excellent, can't wait to see the animations! I think this new version is the most faithful to the old Monster World.

The different versions of the human form, dating back to 2014::
Characters.png

I prefer the penultimate sprite. The earlier ones are too basic and boring while the last one looks too much like your prototypical Clip Art.

Teppic

I like the new hero design a lot more. The only thing I don't like about it is the big smile the character makes. It would be like if Link in Legend of Zelda would smile all the time. I wouldn't like that

I prefer the penultimate sprite. The earlier ones are too basic and boring while the last one looks too much like your prototypical Clip Art.

A hundred percent this. I love their focus on iterating and improving the game and seeing it evolve over time has been wonderful (the recent environmental art transformation was fantastic) but ultimately this feels like a change for the worse. I think they had his look nailed with the penultimate sprite too and this feels like one particular change that didn't need to be made.

The older sprite had character and charm whilst this new one looks generic and doesn't echo the spirit of Monster World.

We'll see how the game evolves from here but I'd much prefer it if they went back to their earlier work on this one.

randomkid

it is 100% insane to me that anyone could prefer the original sprite

just look at that pleasant unpinched face and those more accomplished silhouettes

kaos.

I prefer the old style, am I the only one?
I skipped dragon's trap remake because of its design, imho monster boy style was the perfect compromise between modern flash-like cartoon games and the old wonder boy style, but now...

Top Bottom