• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher Official Trailer

SpaceWolf

Banned
Excellent trailer; loved Bernthal in DDS2, and am very excited to see where they go from here. I'm curious to see people's reactions to Frank primarily going after Homeland Security, FBI, CIA types instead of his usual gang members, serial killers, and mafioso. Would be a better way to sidestep the uncomfortable "Cops love Frank" and minority aspects. Which comic villain are they going to try and introduce here?

Matt Murdock ranting at a public trial about how the world needs people like Frank Castle was probably the low point of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe for me.

JCHandsom

Jigsaw. He's supposed to be one of Frank's old war buddies in this.

Alright, now that's a good pick

Matt Murdock ranting at a public trial about how the world needs people like Frank Castle was probably the low point of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe for me.

To be fair, Matt was kinda coming apart at the seems trying to balance vigilantism with lawyering so it felt more like him getting his wires crossed at a difficult moment. Also, everyone reacts in shock and horror at what he suggests, so I don't think we're meant to side with him at that moment.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why would he turn the gun sideways tho...
Something something recoil, I don't know, looks cool
Augmented sights such as scopes are no good for taking aim at close range. That's why some rifles equipped with them also have auxiliar/backup iron sights on one side. You turn the rifle so you can aim with those.

KIIVEmQ.jpg

It looks all manners of odd at that range, though. Probably done for show.

I mean, Matt’s already a vigilante who beats criminals to a pulp while being a lawyer during the day

Like he’s the one person in that courtroom who would totally believe that the world needs people like Frank Castle, becaus he’s a person like Frank Castle

SpaceWolf

Banned
I mean, Matt's already a vigilante who beats criminals to a pulp while being a lawyer during the day

Like he's the one person in that courtroom who would totally believe that the world needs people like Frank Castle, becaus he's a person like Frank Castle

...despite the whole season up until that point specifically and repeatedly placing emphasis on how unlike the two men are and how Frank's murderous methods consistently horrify Matt, leading to Matt consciously making a key decision two episodes previous where he gave the police the credit for Frank's arrest because he wanted to give people of New York more faith in the NYPD and their ability to give people justice within the parameters of the law.

Matt's rant in that courtroom was a hideously out of character moment that undercut a lot of Season 2's prior characterization and thematic underpinnings for me, no matter how people try to spin it.

Khoryos

Its kind of important for Frank though. The one thing that sets him apart from every other gun toting vigilante is that military percision and training. Being able to turn the city into an actual war zone and using that extreme discipline and strategic thinking is what keeps him alive. Its one of the main reasons i hated War Zone.

I haven't watched the full trailer yet - at work, unfortunately - so I'm just basing this off the gif in this topic - but that's a very deliberate motion, and he returns it to vertical immediately afterwards.

Given that he's firing off-axis at close range while in motion, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a legit drill - I can see it improving the angle of arms and elbows in that situation.

-griffy-

Banned
Augmented sights such as scopes are no good for taking aim at close range. That's why some rifles equipped with them also have auxiliar iron sights on one side. You turn the rifle so you can aim with those.

It looks all manners of odd at that range, though. Probably done for show.

I'm 100% certain the only reason they did it is to mimic/inspired by the deliberate movements from John Wick.
giphy.webp

DistinctInsignificantAcornbarnacle-small.gif

Him just aiming up slightly didn't look cool and deliberate enough, so he turned the gun to make it look cooler and more obvious.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm 100% certain the only reason they did it is to mimic/inspired by the deliberate movements from John Wick.
giphy.webp

DistinctInsignificantAcornbarnacle-small.gif

Him just aiming up slightly didn't look cool and deliberate enough, so he turned the gun to make it look cooler and more obvious.

Yeah, I was thinking that it really looks like somebody feel the need to one upping JW somehow. It looks kind of lame, IMO. JW has better flow.

So what kind of old white bougie person's going to be the bad guy this time?

Netflix's MCU shows have had one asian and at least two black villains so far, so I'm not sure if I follow. Also, Purple Man, while white, was not old at all.

JCHandsom

Yeah, I was thinking that it really looks like somebody feel the need to one upping JW somehow. It looks kind of lame, IMO. JW has better flow.

This is all from a 3-second shot of Frank killing two guys.

I think it'll be fine.

Netflix's MCU shows have had one Asian and at least two black villains, so I'm not sure if I follow.

Plenty of female villains as well.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Netflix's MCU shows have had one Asian and at least two black villains, so I'm not sure if I follow. Also, Purple Man, while white, was not old at all.

I think he's referencing the somewhat anti-climatic twist that Clancy Brown's retired general was revealed to be "The Blacksmith" all along in DD S2, and was thus behind the tragedy that led to the death of Frank's family.

Anung

Un Rama
I think he's referencing the somewhat anti-climatic twist that Clancy Brown's retired general was revealed to be "The Blacksmith" all along in DD S2, and was thus behind the tragedy that led to the death of Frank's family.

Yeah, that was shit. I hope they don't make the events surrounding Frank and his family even more of a conspiracy. Totally takes away from his origins.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was honestly unbothered by that twist. That was like, one of the least troublesome things about DD if you ask me. It didn't even register with me.

JCHandsom

It did lead to the great "one shot, one kill" moment.

I didn't really have a problem with the twist, because Clancy Brown delivers the goods in those scenes.

HeySeuss

I saw a Netflix screenshot showing the season starts November 17th. Could be fake but that lines up with what was expected. And it was posted as a spoiler link in Marvel's Facebook post so it might be legit.

Also whoever is running the punisher page responded to it and didn't dispute it either. So it might be accurate

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yeah, that was shit. I hope they don't make the events surrounding Frank and his family even more of a conspiracy. Totally takes away from his origins.

Yeah, I've spoken about this before...the absurdly overcomplicated conspiracy involving an ex-military unit and about five different criminal gangs really undercut what should have been an incredibly simple origin for Frank. They needed to give him something to do I guess, but it really didn't work for me. I'm still not really sure what was really going on there, to be honest. It was all some drug smuggling operation run by some disillusioned soliders, or something?

I was honestly unbothered by that twist. That was like, one of the least troublesome things about DD if you ask me. It didn't even register with me.

I think that speaks more to what a clustfuck Season 2 was than to the quality of the twist in itself, though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
DD S2 had to set up so much shit that its a wonder they didn't fuckin' Luke Cage level crater their season

It really did, though. At least Luke Cage only really started tanking in its last few episodes. Daredevil S2 was pretty much a disjointed nightmare the whole way through.

Top Bottom