• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

Comandr

The Pigeon Brothers sisters have one, but they only come out for supernatural phenomena.

You'll need to cause one, which immediately limits your options.

To get you started - what's the Hotel Manager looking at on his computer screen?

I figured out how to scare the guy but I can't figure out how to get the Pigeon bros out. I keep calling and they're like "emergencies only try again later lol"

Dunno where you heard that from, but it's not true

QWE
ASD
ZXC

will bring up the nine verbs in their spatial order (IE Q is the top left verb and C is the bottom right verb).

And as always, full stop skips dialog. There's also O for options, 1/2/3/4/5 to switch characters, Esc to skip cutscenes, ctrl s for save, ctrl l for load and ctrl q for quit.

Awsome, yeah was hoping he was just wrong.

BluWacky

I figured out how to scare the guy but I can't figure out how to get the Pigeon bros out. I keep calling and they're like "emergencies only try again later lol"

You don't need to call them. Give their business card to the hotel manager.

Dunno where you heard that from, but it's not true

QWE
ASD
ZXC

will bring up the nine verbs in their spatial order (IE Q is the top left verb and C is the bottom right verb).

And as always, full stop skips dialog. There's also O for options, 1/2/3/4/5 to switch characters, Esc to skip cutscenes, ctrl s for save, ctrl l for load and ctrl q for quit.

Oh, that's good to know. I kept trying to use the old Monkey Island keyboard shortcuts(O=open, T=talk, etc...) and they don't work.

buttdiver

Can anyone playing on XB1 comment on the ease of control? Does using analog sticks compromise the experience? (compared to using a mouse)

Shinjica

So make the line NOT busy. You have to do something at the radio station.

got it. I was doing it in chapter 3 and it was not working, now that i'm in chapter 4, it worked.

Not really happy about enigma that work in certain chapter, it can be confusing

Any tips going into this. I love some PnC, but i always get stuck on more obscure puzzles. Should i try writing stuff down to help? I really don't want to use a walk through for this.

Shinjica

Any tips going into this. I love some PnC, but i always get stuck on more obscure puzzles. Should i try writing stuff down to help? I really don't want to use a walk through for this.

I'm at chapter 4 and apart from some small enigma, is not difficult. You can ask here for tip without spoil the solution

Would love to get this on Switch. What are the chances of that happening?

Hopefully:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/503893/Thimbleweed+Park+should+be+coming+to+Nintendo+Switch/

So far everything's been logical. Got stuck a couple of times, but then suddenly sussed it out while I was trying other puzzles.

BluWacky

Huzzah!

Finished with about 10 hours on the clock; would have undoubtedly been longer (or unfinished) without a couple of hints, plus I click through all dialogue to save time.

Easily stands up there with the greats of the 90s and is undoubtedly a Ron Gilbert game through and through; it reminds me enormously of Monkey Island 2, except not quite as grandiose.

Absolutely, whole-heartedly recommended to anyone who likes graphic adventures without reservation; I don't know what non-genre fans would think, but it's a really excellent game.

BluWacky

Need to call the pidgeon brother. I zap the hotel pc but the menager dont say anything

I don't remember you needing to zap the PC. All I remember doing was:

i) Look at the PC to work out which room you need to go to
ii) Frighten the resident in three different ways
iii) Give the Manager the business card afterwards (when he says that his usual repair men are unavailable after watching all this happen on the PC)
iv) Frighten the resident again

halfbeast

Banned
I dunno, Monkey Island 1 had a hint line pixel as well. Assumed it was about the whole genre.

true, but when I think of pixelhunting I always think of Sierra games.

What is up with the MST3K level eastern European voice acting? FBI guy sounds real bad but maybe it's a twist or something lol.

his voice grew on me. it has character (he sounds a bit like a younger david cage, which makes it even funnier).

I don't know what non-genre fans would think, but it's a really excellent game.

I wouldn't recommend it to Sierra fans :p

I think the referential jokes stand out because there's so many of them and I wasn't expecting it but there's just as many really funny moments unique to this game as well. I'll know for sure when I play this with some friends later on this weekend. They're fans of the genre but haven't played a lot of the LucasArts classics.

Just did the bit where you
distract the journalist using the police scanner to photocopy her map.
Seems like the game is about to open up a fair bit and I'm really excited. Really liking the characters so far and the puzzles have been clever too. Hope it can keep it up.

sangreal

anyone playing on xbox? wondering how it controls

moving the cursor around using analog stick seems like it would get old fast

an this is so good. Just played an hour and it absolutely flew by. I'm tempted to turn the voice acting off tho, not because its bad, but I'm just not used to playing a P&C with actual voice acting. The only one I ever did was COMI. But in pixel art games like this it feels a bit weird. Other than that this is so good. Great writing, I like the characters, the atmosphere, art and music are top notch too.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The solution to the broken stair case in Delores' flashback was amazing lol

That's where I stopped enjoying the game, and started loving it.

A classic Gilbert solution.

ymgve

Is there a way to get the shovel? Finshed the game and never got it.

Also, they REALLY should patch the laser sequence near the end. The constant red flashing gave me a headache.

How are the puzzles in this? Are they intuitive, or is more of a try everything you have on everything you click until something happens sort of deal?

halfbeast

Banned
I'm stuck at the moment, especially since I'm not quite sure what the wrench is used for. is it
tubes
pipes
or
valves
or something else entirely?

Dsyndrome

So, when Rock, Paper, Shotgun's review of the game was posted here, and it was positive, and not written by John Walker, I thought for a while that I would joke about "how long will it before John Walker feels the unstoppable urge to post his own article about how everyone are wrong about this game and he's not?"

I didn't.

But he did.

The answer: About a day.

Everything wrong with the first three minutes of Thimbleweed Park
That's a lot of opinion for three minutes.

ymgve

I'm stuck at the moment, especially since I'm not quite sure what the wrench is used for. is it
tubes
pipes
or
valves
or something else entirely?

The point where you use the wrench is pretty obvious.
You need to get past the factory fence to be able to use it

Are the chapters getting shorter? Because I'm seven hours in and only in chapter 3 so far. I try to look at everything and talk to everyone.

and lol @ the dangerous device

jett

D-Member
So, when Rock, Paper, Shotgun's review of the game was posted here, and it was positive, and not written by John Walker, I thought for a while that I would joke about "how long will it before John Walker feels the unstoppable urge to post his own article about how everyone are wrong about this game and he's not?"

I didn't.

But he did.

The answer: About a day.

Everything wrong with the first three minutes of Thimbleweed Park

I honestly had similar thoughts regarding the lack of interactivity in the game. I don't understand why can't we look at people, or why the detectives can't talk to each other. Why do we even have tow detectives in the first place anyway.

ymgve

I honestly had similar thoughts regarding the lack of interactivity in the game. I don't understand why can't we look at people, or why the detectives can't talk to each other. Why do we even have tow detectives in the first place anyway.

A lot of this is probably "that's how we did it in previous games, and it worked well enough".

Having multiple people means you can do more elaborate puzzles, and you don't unlock more characters until later in the story. The lack of communication between player characters feels like a missed chance to have some funny banter, but it also means you never have to think about "How do I communicate to the other character that I want to do X?"

How do I make it through the
woods
? I already have the
head
and I'm following
his directions but he always leads me back to the entrance

edit: restarted the game and it worked. I don't have the shovel though, lol. Damn.

I do think they should be able to talk outside of the designated story beats. Ray's temperamental interactions with Reyes are pretty funny and there could have been more. Still makes sense to have the two detectives, though. There's an entire sequence built around it right at the start. Not 3 minutes in but pretty early on. There's also plenty of necessary interactions that don't revolve around the most obvious verb so that mechanic still totally has merit.

That article was really pedantic. It's the early game and the difficulty ramps up over time. I don't understand why telegraphing the first solution is an "adventure gaming sin." Within 6 minutes of that you're required to put solutions together on your own.

The solution to the broken stair case in Delores' flashback was amazing lol

That part was awesome.

Top Bottom