• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

RoKKeR

https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/07/latest-xbox-update-releases-insiders-starting-today/

Video first look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeA2FmPT7xk

It's an exciting day at Team Xbox as Xbox Insiders in the Alpha Ring will get a first look at the latest Xbox update. This release is the next major update for gaming on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC, and is designed to make the Xbox gaming experience more fun, personalized, and social than ever. We've heard feedback from our fans that they want the ability to customize Home the way they want. This new experience on Xbox One gives gamers more choice and delivers fun faster. Updates to Home, Guide and Community are available today, with updates to Avatars, Game Hubs, Profiles and more coming this fall. Windows 10 PCs will also receive updates to the Game bar and Gaming settings menu. Here's a detailed look at some of the new features that will arrive for Xbox Insiders starting today and continuing throughout the next few months:

Content-Blocks.gif

New-Guide.gif

New-Community-Tab.gif

Looks pretty nice.

mcrommert

Banned
As someone who has been unrelenting positive on the ui even when it wasn't the best

please stop redesigning it

EDIT: Okay watched it and its a lot of really good stuff

dugdug

Banned
Did they not redesign it just earlier this year? How many dashboards has this box had over it's lifespan?

Not bad at all - I'm liking how responsive it is. Good to see more customization as well, as I would turn off damn near everything and only keep games on the home screen.

HooYaH

Sigh, so many wasted spaces with Tips/Suggested Friends/Ads promoting Stuff. No wonder they keep on redesigning it.

Looks kinda nice so far, digging the animations...some people already saying it looks horrible...don't think so personally.

Will be interesting to see how it develops between now and the upcoming months.

Courage

I hope they fixed wifi instability issues. I've been getting constant lag spikes on anything I play ever since the last update. It ranges from Rocket League to Titanfall 2 to even Twitch. I've seen numerous reports of it online, so it's not just me.

Wow, finally looks pretty decent. Hope it doesnt get changed AGAIN later.

I still think the "blades" on 360 were best tho so what do i know lol

JlNX

updates to Avatars, Game Hubs, Profiles and more coming this fall

So this doesn't include the new fancy avatars, it also appears to be different compared to the early fluent design concepts and doesn't hold to all the fluent design principles. Which makes me think this is a step towards the fluent design. The full xbox fluent design will probably come alongside the next major windows update in fall.

Akai__

I like that you can customize your Home screen. Now, I only need to be able to disable the Mixer and the Entertainment tab. Waste of space.

Stop forcing suggested friends on me. The people I actually give a shit about are already on my friends list.

So much this. I always get recommended shitty YouTuber's and I don't want to follow or be friends with any of them. Actually just went through a friendlist cleaning process last week and removed 90 "friends". Wish they would return to the double confirm friend system and not this follow nonsense. Can't be hard to have a toggle for that.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Hopefully this UI overhaul works out better than the last. I left the system because it was just horrendous and so damn laggy. In saying that Sony hasn't exactly been amazing either with stupid design decisions being made like pushing Tv and Video in a weird drop down box that's also an app.

ViciousDS

Banned
looks solid, if it speeds up the OS even more, I'm all for it. We are still not at the speed I would like for the UI. It has improved but there is still delays at times on button presses.....and its not my damn network

CookTrain

Wow, finally looks pretty decent. Hope it doesnt get changed AGAIN later.

I still think the "blades" on 360 were best tho so what do i know lol

It'll definitely get changed again later. It's one of the pros/cons of Xbox. The UI you get ain't the UI you keep. I like that, but obviously some people don't.

So this doesn't include the new fancy avatars, it also appears to be different compared to the early fluent design concepts and doesn't hold to all the fluent design principles. Which makes me think this is a step towards the fluent design. The full xbox fluent design will probably come alongside the next major windows update in fall.
Fluent design itself isn't complete yet. They are rolling the design in waves. Though at build they showed some concepts of the current end goal of those waves.

JlNX

The team is always pushing to make the Xbox experience faster and faster. In this release, we’ve eliminated the wait between Home, Social, and My Games and Apps by consolidating them into one dashboard experience. No more splash screens means you get to fun even faster.

Oh this is nice, any improvement to get the rest of the system as fast as the sidebar is great.

Looks kinda nice so far, digging the animations...some people already saying it looks horrible...don't think so personally.

Will be interesting to see how it develops between now and the upcoming months.

Yeah, i have to say, it looks really bad to me. Like what we have now just looks so much better.

Its so unpolished too, i know its not final but still. This is what theyre showing. Like the guide menu opening and cutting off half your gamer picture, or scrolling down and seeing the previous or next icons just be blank...

Im really not liking it. I was hoping the redesign would be a complete overhaul. It doesnt look sleek at all and quite frankly, other than being able to customize, it looks worse to me. Theyre UI team just really isnt great at MS. I hate their minimalist design for xbox and Win10.

soundtest

Banned
i hope they fix their 4k blu ray player via an update. I get 1-2 stutters every movie and it sorta defeats the purpose of wanting to watch a 4k blu ray to get the best quality version of a film if i have to deal with the player acting up every single time

ryan299

Horizontal guide looks like it will be much better. The tab/overlay system when navigating in the guide looks terrible though. I don't want more windows popping up.

HooYaH

Nah, I expect the full fluent design next year to maybe tie in with Redstone 4 or 5.

The last Xbox UI update made it so you never had to go to the home screen ever again. Everything you want was pretty much on the quick menu and its always lightning fast for me. I know there is lag when moving around the home page, but when it comes to checking who is online, achievements, party settings, getting to your games or starting a broadcast on mixer i dont think any console is faster

Gestault

The transition from that first screen to the different content blocks looks jarring as fuck.

I think the horizontal tabs for the overlay is very smart (and I don't understand why they wanted vertical originally, even though you can acclimate). Showing how "deep" you are in the overlay by showing the stacked menu levels is good.

Yeah, i have to say, it looks really bad to me. Like what we have now just looks so much better.

Its so unpolished too, i know its not final but still. This is what theyre showing. Like the guide menu opening and cutting off half your gamer picture, or scrolling down and seeing the previous or next icons just be blank...

Im really not liking it. I was hoping the redesign would be a complete overhaul. It doesnt look sleek at all and quite frankly, other than being able to customize, it looks worse to me. Theyre UI team just really isnt great at MS. I hate their minimalist design for xbox and Win10.

I don't think it looks horribly tbh, but it's not the best thing around. It seems like it will be getting updates that will be fleshing out the overall experience between now and release so things can change, just read a article on windows central that indicates that.

This looks awful. Why does the community tab get tiles while the home screen gets two tiny blocks surrounded by empty space?

I don't think it looks horribly tbh, but it's not the best thing around. It seems like it will be getting updates that will be fleshing out the overall experience between now and release so things can change.

Let us know how it feels. But man, my first impression is really not good. :(

Top Bottom