• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood, Sweat, And Pixels Thread: Print Sneak Fuck

At the halfway point in the audiobook (thanks for making long run training bearable) and very impressed with the game dev stories and the well-structured, well-written presentation of their trials.

I've already revised my stance on a few flawed games I bagged on here; not that these games are suddenly exempt from criticism but I appreciate the difficulty of translating artistic vision into a working product much better.

Developers, you're heroes and I salute you. Props to Jason Schreier for making the case.

I still don't get it. What does "a bunch of press sneak fucks will try to contact us" even mean? What does press sneak fuck mean in this context? English is my second language. Maybe it's that.

He basically means "shifty reporters" with "fuck" implying he thinks negatively of them. It's bad English to string three nouns together as one term, but that's what he did.

Press: reporters

Sneak: a person who acts shifty or furitively

Fuck: a slang term meaning "a stupid person"

It's baaaad slang, so of course it makes no sense as a second language.

I'll pick this up in paperback when it launches on Amazon UK.

Seems a great read!
Especially interested in reading the UC4 and Shovel Knight chapters.

Zojirushi

So does this actually give some insight how games are made or is it mostly focused on dev horror stories about how shit's fucked up because evil suits?

Very excited about the release. I'm going to take an extended break from work today to see if my local bookstore has it.
George rrrrr Martin wishes he was half as good an author as press sneak fuck.

So does this actually give some insight how games are made or is it mostly focused on dev horror stories about how shit's fucked up because evil suits?

Insight on every page. On top of that, you may come away with a more nuanced view of the 'evil suits' too: there is constant tension between hard to pin down artistic goals (e.g. when is a character design 'done', what is the desirable amount of 'fun'?) and the pretty high burn rate of money per employee per month / market demand to integrate new technologies that require new tools.

You hear a lot about development leads admirably navigating between these two perspectives and there are problems and unreasonable demands on both ends.

Very much so. Lots of discussions between developers about "We prototyped x idea, but it didn't work because y" and "We had an E3 build due and we had to make some real ass decisions."

It's incredibly fascinating, and I've finished the first three chapters (Pillars of Eternity, Uncharted 4, Stardew Valley).

Sidenote: The girlfriend of the Stardew Valley developer deserves a medal.

J-Skee

I'm thinking Arkane/Prey DLC myself.

I would love to read about the Destiny franchise & Metal Gear Solid V.

EDIT: I'm dumb, there's a Destiny chapter in the book. Still reading about Pillars of Eternity. Well, I heard development on Destiny 2 wasn't great either.

It's super unfortunate that devs/leads/etc. can't even afford the time to travel the hour or so to work and have to compromise, at least with our infrastructure. Not exclusive to game development but man it sucks.

PK Gaming

Say you want to make a video game. You've got this killer idea—it's about a mustachioed plumber who has to rescue his princess girlfriend from a giant fire-breathing turtle—and you've convinced an investor to give you a few million dollars to make it happen. Now what?

Well, first you need to figure out the exact number of people you can afford to hire. Then you need to call up some artists, some designers, some programmers. You'll need a producer to keep things running smoothly, and a sound department to make sure the game has, you know, sounds. Can't forget to hire some quality-assurance testers to check for bugs. And a marketing savant—how else will everyone know about your future best seller? Once you're all staffed up, you'll need to make a strict schedule that determines how much time your team will spend on each part of the game. If all goes well, you'll develop a demo for E3 in six months, then be ”feature complete" by the end of the year.

After a few months, things seem to be going well. Your artists are drawing all sorts of cool enemies for your plumber to fight: ghosts, mushrooms, that sort of thing. The designers have sketched out some clever levels that will guide the player through raging volcanoes and fetid swamps. The programmers just figured out a fancy rendering trick that will make the dungeons look more realistic than anything you've seen before. Everyone is motivated, the game is making progress, and you're handing out stock options like they're free newspapers in the subway.

One morning, you get a call from your producer. Turns out that rendering trick is useless, because it knocks your game's frame rate down to ten frames per second. The playtesters keep getting stuck on the volcano level, and your marketing guy is grumbling about how that might affect your Metacritic score. Your art director insists on micromanaging the animators, which is driving them crazy. Your E3 demo is due in two weeks, and you know there's no way you can get it done in less than four. And suddenly the investors are asking if maybe you can slash that $10 million budget down to $8 million, even if you have to let go of a few people to make it happen.

A week ago, you were fantasizing about the speech you'd make at The Game Awards after taking home Game of the Year. Now you're wondering if you'll ever even finish.

This excerpt is why lose my shit whenever I see someone post "the devs were lazy"

Granted, it doesn't happen too often on GAF, but when it does

kzU4M6v.png

mhayes86

I've been hearing about this for some time, and Jason does some excellent work. I may pick up the audio book at some point to listen to on my work commutes.

dLMN8R

The Naughty Dog / Uncharted 4 story was pretty brutal. I remember reading a bunch of speculation and outrage on GAF and elsewhere when the game was delayed a couple of times right before release. Crazy to hear what was actually happening behind the scenes for those delays.

No wonder why people burn out from the gaming industry so quickly. Individuals are just ground down into husks until they simply cannot do it anymore.

The Naughty Dog / Uncharted 4 story was pretty brutal. I remember reading a bunch of speculation and outrage on GAF and elsewhere when the game was delayed a couple of times right before release. Crazy to hear what was actually happening behind the scenes for those delays.

No wonder why people burn out from the gaming industry so quickly. Individuals are just ground down into husks until they simply cannot do it anymore.

I also like how the 'evil suits', in this case the higher-ups at Sony, did their best to accommodate the crunching developers within the realities of mass production and distribution.

He basically means "shifty reporters" with "fuck" implying he thinks negatively of them. It's bad English to string three nouns together as one term, but that's what he did.

THanks for that. All this time I though Press Sneak Fuck was a play on words for something more videogamey like Press Start Fuck or whatever.

mdubs

Banned
Insight on every page. On top of that, you may come away with a more nuanced view of the 'evil suits' too: there is constant tension between hard to pin down artistic goals (e.g. when is a character design 'done', what is the desirable amount of 'fun'?) and the pretty high burn rate of money per employee per month / market demand to integrate new technologies that require new tools.

You hear a lot about development leads admirably navigating between these two perspectives and there are problems and unreasonable demands on both ends.
It's amazing to learn how much goes on behind the scenes. Like many have said, it make me wonder how games get done at all and realize how much we take for granted when it comes to games being released. It really does seem like a constant battle for a game to be developed considering all the things that can go wrong

jschreier

It's too bad there are no good stats on how many veteran developers have burnt out and left the industry entirely! I'd be very curious to see those numbers.

mdubs

Banned
Holy moly that Destiny chapter.

Sidenote: I hope we can get a sequel to this book Jason if you are up to it (or at least another work on game development like this). It seems like every game has a fascinating story behind it begging to be told.

Neo-bot

Neo Member
As a gamer it's interesting to read about the hard work and corporate maneuverings and general shenanigans that go into the stuff we play. What we play for fun is someone else' livelihood.

Should I be worried that the book will spoil key plot points if I haven't played some of those games covered in the book?

Holy moly that Destiny chapter.

Sidenote: I hope we can get a sequel to this book Jason if you are up to it (or at least another work on game development like this). It seems like every game has a fascinating story behind it begging to be told.
That's the good thing about covering games, you have endless amounts of content to pull from.

I'd personally love a chapter of Duskers; that indie game has quite a history, between the usual indie dev struggles, dealing with IndieFund, and a whole bunch of devs like the Northways, Jonathan Blow, and other devs came together to help Duskers team out in the eleventh hour

jschreier

I'm still thinking about what to do next, but I kinda want to work on one long story instead of another collection. Of course, I'm always open to ideas for both!

mdubs

Banned
As a gamer it's interesting to read about the hard work and corporate maneuverings and general shenanigans that go into the stuff we play. What we play for fun is someone else' livelihood.

Should I be worried that the book will spoil key plot points if I haven't played some of those games covered in the book?
It gets fairly into Uncharted 4's plot, but other than that no

jacobeid

Banned
I planned to read a chapter after dinner. Here I am three hours later. I need to sleep but I can't put this down. I'll post more complete thoughts when I'm done, but everyone needs to read this book.

Could not be more thrilled that people are enjoying the book! Thanks guys.
It's so fucking terrible my kid wants to read it. Thanks for helping corrupt the youth, you press sneak fuck.

Also, I'm surprised kingdoms of Amalur wasn't covered. Any reason why? That seems like it would have made a fantastic chapter or two.

I'm still thinking about what to do next, but I kinda want to work on one long story instead of another collection. Of course, I'm always open to ideas for both!

Maybe a book about a world where everyone escapes through a type of virtual reality system where the programmer was obsessed with 1990s pop culture. Call it, ready player two.

mister slim

Neo Member

To clarify a bit further, in May 2013 Kotaku published rumors that Arkane had taken over Prey 2 development from Human Head Studios, which Bethesda and Raph Colantonio both denied. They continued to deny it through August, when someone leaked internal emails which confirmed Arkane was working on a Prey game and included Colantonio reacting to the May leak with "“Now that the news is out, We’ll be contacted left and right by press sneak fucks who will want to know more. Please don’t answer any of their requests." So basically Bethesda and Colantonio had been lying to press for months, rather than simply saying "no comment" as is customary for news you don't want to confirm or deny. Also, Colantonio is French, which I think explains the phrasing.

willooi

Read the sample on Obsidian and it was enough to make me pick this up. Haven't been able to put it down and not even finished but already want a sequel!

Jason, well done, and I'm sure we all know what needs to be the key focus of the follow up...Kojima's final days at Konami! It'd be a fascinating insight into work practices there as well, which was a great bonus take-away from the Witcher 3 section in this book.

There's probably/likely NDA's preventing the story from being told publicly, I imagine, much like the Human Head/Prey 2/Bethesda thing...but wow, there's some great villainy in even the snippets that come out.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I still don't get it. What does "a bunch of press sneak fucks will try to contact us" even mean? What does press sneak fuck mean in this context? English is my second language. Maybe it's that.

well it was written by a guy with English as his second language, so...

jschreier

Read the sample on Obsidian and it was enough to make me pick this up. Haven't been able to put it down and not even finished but already want a sequel!

Jason, well done, and I'm sure we all know what needs to be the key focus of the follow up...Kojima's final days at Konami! It'd be a fascinating insight into work practices there as well, which was a great bonus take-away from the Witcher 3 section in this book.

There's probably/likely NDA's preventing the story from being told publicly, I imagine, much like the Human Head/Prey 2/Bethesda thing...but wow, there's some great villainy in even the snippets that come out.
I would love to tell stories about Japanese games but language and cultural barriers make that really difficult, unfortunately.

OléGunner;248062274 said:
I'll pick this up in paperback when it launches on Amazon UK.

Seems a great read!
Especially interested in reading the UC4 and Shovel Knight chapters.

I'm playing Stardew Valley at the moment and I'm looking forward to reading that section. I'm still on Pillars of Eternity, but it's very good so far.

Congrats again Jason! This week (and month honestly) is very busy, but I'm hoping to get to it sooner than later.

Maybe in the car this weekend.

Excited to see all the positive impressions and can't wait to dig in

There's an audiobook? Fuck! I ordered the book.

Ya I think the audio version is Ray Chase, (english) voice of Noctis from FF XV

Andrew J.

I would love to tell stories about Japanese games but language and cultural barriers make that really difficult, unfortunately.

I noticed when looking at the table of contents that there weren't any Japanese games. It's disappointing but understandable.

I noticed when looking at the table of contents that there weren't any Japanese games. It's disappointing but understandable.

Matt Leone has a pinned tweet that says just that single article took him multiple years to write. I'm guessing a full book would be years and years to write.

P.S. if you haven't yet read the below, it's one of the single best things I've read on video games, ever. Very, very well done article.

https://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

Top Bottom