• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

Just got back from Africa...tried to pick up photography cold turkey after a 3-4 year hiatus.

20170811_SERENGETI_IMG_6215_001_PS01.jpg

20170810_SERENGETI_IMG_5773_001_PS01.jpg

Just like riding a bike. Nice photos btw

leder

Neo Member
Some thoughts for you, since I also like street photography and am one of the few here that shoots similar stuff to what you do.. Do with them what you will.

[...]

Overall I'd say that my biggest problem with your photos, especially any with people, is that you seem to be keeping a distance from your subjects and it's a detriment to the final image. I feel like you are a bit timid perhaps, or maybe you like the detached feeling, for me it kind of makes the city feel lifeless and boring which I'm sure it isn't. I think your shots of the architecture and textures/patterns are more interesting. I feel like you have an idea of what you are trying to do with those, whereas the other shots I think you are just randomly shooting and hoping it works out. Also, be more selective of what you keep. Be critical.

Hey man. Thanks for the feedback. I never thought anyone would take the time to criticize my photos.

The city is João Pessoa, Brazil.

All the street photos were taken while I went downtown with my girlfriend as she had to buy some stuff for her business. I took the camera with me just to not be so bored. (The girl I shot from behind is my girlfriend).

You're spot on about not getting close to people as I was constantly walking with her and mostly snapshotting what I saw on the way.

That moody cityscape was a long exposure during sunset, from my bedroom.

On the last photo I was on the third floor of a building in downtown.

You are right about me not filtering so much what I share, I shall get better at that.

I never did proper street photography (I mean putting some thought on the shots) but I'm planning on doing so in the coming weeks, your feedback somehow got me more motivated. I'll make sure to post what I come up with and will be waiting on your thoughts.

Hey man. Thanks for the feedback. I never thought anyone would take the time to criticize my photos.

The city is João Pessoa, Brazil.

All the street photos were taken while I went downtown with my girlfriend as she had to buy some stuff for her business. I took the camera with me just to not be so bored. (The girl I shot from behind is my girlfriend).

You're spot on about not getting close to people as I was constantly walking with her and mostly snapshotting what I saw on the way.

That moody cityscape was a long exposure during sunset, from my bedroom.

On the last photo I was on the third floor of a building in downtown.

You are right about me not filtering so much what I share, I shall get better at that.

I never did proper street photography (I mean putting some thought on the shots) but I'm planning on doing so in the coming weeks, your feedback somehow got me more motivated. I'll make sure to post what I come up with and will be waiting on your thoughts.
Go some place busy and snap away. It's what I do.

Spent the past weekend in Austin, TX and I thought I was gonna take more pics, but I ended up using my GoPro more and sitting in the pool sippin' a cold one instead so I only took something like 20 pics or so haha.

DSC_5417 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5453 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5461 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5473 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5490 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Which leads me to photographing her entire family...
DSC_5501 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5519 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5570 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5556 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5600 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5642 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSC_5507 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Mr. Hyde

I am back into photography. I took six or more months off after my baby was born. I shut my brain off and enjoyed time with the family while gaming too much instead of shooting. So, I gave myself a task of reconstructing a room used for storage into a small photo studio.It took a month.

I've been shooting a lot this week with my wife and a friend to get my momentum back. Here is some stuff I've done this week:

Absorber by Tony Frattle, on Flickr

Close Your Eyes and Dream by Tony Frattle, on Flickr

Peering Through The Light by Tony Frattle, on Flickr

Sick Summer Daze by Tony Frattle, on Flickr

I am back into photography. I took six or more months off after my baby was born. I shut my brain off and enjoyed time with the family while gaming too much instead of shooting. So, I gave myself a task of reconstructing a room used for storage into a small photo studio.It took a month.

I've been shooting a lot this week with my wife and a friend to get my momentum back. Here is some stuff I've done this week:

Close Your Eyes and Dream by Tony Frattle, on Flickr
I like the colors in this one. White balance trickery or color gels?

Mr. Hyde

I like the colors in this one. White balance trickery or color gels?

Flash in my Photek Softlighter and another flash in a softbox shooting upwards, material my wife has (see through colorful wrapping plastic lol) over the lens and then a tad white balance cooling and color grading.

RCSI

Outside of eclipse pictures from Madras, Oregon, the end of the day proved relaxing after the a stunning event.

36769216305_6417604754_b.jpg

jokkir

I finally got the Samyang 12mm f/2.0 for my a6000 and damn, this is really wide. Not too sure if I'll like it even for landscapes since it'll just shrink everything :\

I finally got the Samyang 12mm f/2.0 for my a6000 and damn, this is really wide. Not too sure if I'll like it even for landscapes since it'll just shrink everything :\

Get closer.

If you're pressing the front of your lens against the subject, get closer.

Ultra wides are definitely a tool. I have no idea what the fuck I'd use one for therefore I don't have any. Why did you buy it to begin with?

jokkir

Ultra wides are definitely a tool. I have no idea what the fuck I'd use one for therefore I don't have any. Why did you buy it to begin with?

I needed a fast wide that wasn't my kit lens since I always had problems with it even if it got slightly dark out.

So far, I think it might be my last lens. I have a ultra-wide (Samyang 12mm f/2.0), all-round (Sigma 30mm f/2.8), and a slightly 'zoomed' (Sony 50mm f1.8 , I don't use zoom much, if at all).

Maybe replace the Sigma with the f/1.4 version but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

I needed a fast wide that wasn't my kit lens since I always had problems with it even if it got slightly dark out.

So far, I think it might be my last lens. I have a ultra-wide (Samyang 12mm f/2.0), all-round (Sigma 30mm f/2.8), and a slightly 'zoomed' (Sony 50mm f1.8 , I don't use zoom much, if at all).

Maybe replace the Sigma with the f/1.4 version but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.
You should probably get an 85 at some point, even if it's not an 85 on your camera. The added background compression and subject isolation make a good portrait pop.

Futureman

I was bored at work yesterday and read like 15 interviews on LensCulture. Some reallllly great stuff on here:
https://www.lensculture.com/interviews

I've really gotten into portraits lately and Todd Hido's portrait advice was my favorite...

LC: As a teacher, what kinds of advice do you give your students when it comes to preparing for, and making, successful portraits?

TH: To be kind is most important. After that, be prepared with a plan of how you’re going to make the picture.

I just finished up a portrait series for a local magazine in Pittsburgh. I did 36 different portraits...a mixture of people I knew, friends of friends, reaching out to people on social media and also just roaming downtown Pittsburgh and asking to take people's photos. Here are two:

8Zo0pmjh.jpg

rhkhs2Jh.jpg

Just to be clear, you are pissed off that a site you haven't used since March has changed the amount of pictures you can upload in one week?
I'm pretty sure that's not just a me thing. I'm more "annoyed" than actually pissed off. I used to drop about 20 a week into there regularly but their plugin annoys the shit out of me because it times out too often so I just stopped.

Xyber

My first time trying out shooting a sunset, was pretty pleased with this one. I'm currently in the Maldives and was sitting at one of the bars here at the island just messing around with settings in-between my drinks. :p

36753442126_d4cd96ab6d_o.jpg

I have also had time to work on my low-light photos since this whole island gets real dark at night with only some lamps here and there.

36365563620_1138d17ff5_o.jpg

selfnoise

My first time trying out shooting a sunset, was pretty pleased with this one. I'm currently in the Maldives and was sitting at one of the bars here at the island just messing around with settings in-between my drinks. :p

Lovely sunset, wish I was there and also wish I had drinks!

Top Bottom