• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

I live around Springfield, which is in lower left Missouri. Am I going to have to travel to see the totality? I tried to read up on it, but just got more confused about what I'd be able to see from here.

I'm scared.

Eclipse_calling-765x461.jpg
giphy.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah I asked this off work so I can do a Faygo Apocalypse drinking cotton candy flavor Faygo with Juggalo facepaint on waiting for the cursed egg to summon the next godhand.

RoKKeR

Some organizations are estimating that over 1 million people could travel here to Nashville to watch the eclipse. We're the largest US city in the path of full totality. Should be interesting!

So bummed, graduated from Vandy a few months back and am moving to another city in a few weeks... just going to miss it.

Holy shit. I've been excited for this and just found out the city I live in has the full MAXIMUM 2 minute 40 seconds duration of totality. What are the odds. So excited I get to see this with zero travel

One question, I'm like really worried about going blind from this thing. I know they say to take off your glasses during totality but how will I know for sure when to take them off and put them back on? I'm like worried I'll time it wrong and mess myself up

FyreWulff

One question, I'm like really worried about going blind from this thing. I know they say to take off your glasses during totality but how will I know for sure when to take them off and put them back on? I'm like worried I'll time it wrong and mess myself up

take off filtered glasses only when the sun is completely covered

when you start to see it emerge from the other side, put them back on. it'll be beads-of-light like formation starting to appear, this is the point you should already have the filter back on.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Huh, I can drive just 30 minutes from my house and get the full 100% effect. Guess I can just pull up in the parking lot of a Walmart or something.

Any links to good protective eyewear that's cheap? I want to watch the full thing directly if possible.

Crispy75

Huh, I can drive just 30 minutes from my house and get the full 100% effect. Guess I can just pull up in the parking lot of a Walmart or something.

Any links to good protective eyewear that's cheap? I want to watch the full thing directly if possible.

You can just use a piece of no.14 welding glass which is <$5 plus delivery. Mount it in a large piece of cardboard to make it easy to hold and to block stray light.

Is anyone going to be in carbondale,il for the eclipse. I live somewhat close and considering going down the day before and just winging it for the night till the next day. Everything is booked up or crazy prices, but I can't wait till 2024. Any advice?

I had a ticket ready and a whole emergency plan to visit Grand Canyon if the weather would disappoint (I was supposed to see it in St. Louis)... Today they denied my visa.

I'm absolutely crushed ;(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering how bad traffic is going to be that day. I was thinking of driving up to Perryville, but it would suck if there was tons of traffic and the interstate was backed up halfway to Hayti or something.

norm9

If you still have the negatives from developed pictures, you can cut a stack of five or six of the blank ends, staple it, and can stare at the sun looking through it. Did it as a kid and I'm still not blind.

Ri'Orius

Looks like I live in the 90%+ zone, so should be cool. I'm travelling that day, but I haven't gotten around to buying tickets so I'll try to get home in time to see it! Procrastination wins again!

I'll see if I can find some eyewear, but is there a reason I couldn't just use my phone to watch? I'm thinking put it in selfie mode, stand with my back to the sun, look at screen?

fallout

I'll be somewhere in Nebraska. Super excited! ... never did I think I'd be excited to be going to Nebraska.

I'm wondering how bad traffic is going to be that day. I was thinking of driving up to Perryville, but it would suck if there was tons of traffic and the interstate was backed up halfway to Hayti or something.
My assumption is that anywhere near the eclipse track will be pretty packed.

You can get them pretty cheap all over the place:

E.g., these ones have Bill Nye on 'em and cost 2 bucks: https://www.chopshopstore.com/colle.../bill-nye-eclipse-glasses?variant=44084054030

Looks like I live in the 90%+ zone, so should be cool. I'm travelling that day, but I haven't gotten around to buying tickets so I'll try to get home in time to see it! Procrastination wins again!
The difference between 90% and say ... 30% really isn't all that much. If you have protection, it'll just look like more of the Sun will have a chunk taken out of it. I'd recommend getting to totality if you can!

I'll see if I can find some eyewear, but is there a reason I couldn't just use my phone to watch? I'm thinking put it in selfie mode, stand with my back to the sun, look at screen?
You might be able to get away with this, but I imagine that it'll just overpower your phone camera.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My assumption is that anywhere near the eclipse track will be pretty packed.

Yeah, it's kind of dissuading me from going. My plan would be to drive up to my grandparents house the day before and then leave that morning to get into the path. But it would suck to spend two days driving and not even get into the totality path. I could see a partial eclipse from home.

fallout

Yeah, it's kind of dissuading me from going. My plan would be to drive up to my grandparents house the day before and then leave that morning to get into the path. But it would suck to spend two days driving and not even get into the totality path. I could see a partial eclipse from home.
I think if that's your plan, you should be good to make it to the path of totality. It'll just be congested. A partial eclipse has nothing on a total one.

MIMIC

Banned
Holy shit, 80% eclipse in Cleveland? I don't even have to go anywhere. That's awesome!

Watching a GMA video and they're showing the coverage for a couple select cities.

-NYC: 71.4% (2:45 pm local)
-Los Angeles: 62.3% (10:20 am local)
-Cleveland: 80% (2:30 pm local)

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
We'll have 99% here in Boise. I'm planning on heading about 20 miles north of here to get into an area with 100%. We'll probably camp out the night before. The roads are supposed to be a total nightmare the day of the eclipse, so I want to stake out a good spot before things get nuts.

Dishwalla

Banned
Pretty good view in Norfolk given no cloud coverage, probably just gonna walk to the beach and watch it there. Was thinking about going down to my uncle's place outside Orangeburg, SC, but I don't want to deal with all the traffic on I-95.

jfkgoblue

Some organizations are estimating that over 1 million people could travel here to Nashville to watch the eclipse. We're the largest US city in the path of full totality. Should be interesting!
I'll be driving down from Michigan to Nashville next Saturday for this and staying through Tuesday. It's gonna be crowded as fuck I fear.

Kthulhu

It's a shame I'll won't be able to see the full eclipse, but apparently it's gonna still cover most of the sun where I'm at.

I've wanted to see something like this since I was a little kid, so I'm super excited.

Will I need eclipse glasses if it's only gonna cover 67% of the moon?

VariantX

Shit is happening right over my city and I'll likely be stuck indoors at work. Hopefully I can time my lunch break just right...

Just found out the city I live in which lies in the line of totality is expecting over 30,000 non local visitors. Keep in mind this isn't a very large city.

Shit is going to be CRAZY

B.K.

I got my glasses in the mail yesterday. I've got a pair of binoculars with solar filters in the mail. They're supposed to be here by next Friday. I'm planning to drive about a hour south to where there's going to be totality. Where I am, it's just going to be a partial eclipse. I could drive about 20 minutes away, but it will have totality for less than a minute. I want to see more than that.

CrazyDude

Holy shit, 80% eclipse in Cleveland? I don't even have to go anywhere. That's awesome!

Watching a GMA video and they're showing the coverage for a couple select cities.

2024 we are getting a total eclipse.

320px-SE2024Apr08T.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Just so people know, even a 99.5% partial eclipse has NOTHING on a total eclipse. even 99.5% coverage means it's still about as bright as 4000 full moons. For this especially it's all or nothing!

I've had reservations in Portland for 2-3 months, was a bit too late to get anything closer. Gonna get up REALLY early and drive down to Salem for the totality!

fallout

I saw one in Australia and didn't wear eye protection. Now I have a black spot on my vision...

Wear eye protection!
This is a good reminder for everyone, but keep in mind that during totality, you can safely view the eclipse with eye protection.

Will I need eclipse glasses if it's only gonna cover 67% of the moon?
Yes! To be clear, it's the Moon covering the Sun and the only time you don't need eclipse glasses is during totality.

Shit is happening right over my city and I'll likely be stuck indoors at work. Hopefully I can time my lunch break just right...
If you're talking about totality, then take a pee break or something. While the partial portions of the eclipse last for a few hours, the spectacular totality portion will only last for a couple of minutes.

Chris R

Haha Amazon, giving me a refund for my glasses and telling me not to use them.

You fuckers ship shit so slow I'm stuck using them since anything I ordered today won't appear until two weeks after the eclipse

Top Bottom