• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap that was a lot of red shells. Were those all from Rodriguez?

Edit: Considering the way I got slapped around on Bowser's Castle including that final stretch green shell, I'll accept 3rd place.

m0t0k1

What's funny is that 150cc is just practice for online GAF. Much more ruthless than in single player.

I still need to wait a couple of more weeks to get my own copy. But have been playing at a friends house so i am learning already how things work in this game. Also can't wait to check out the Gaf servers to see if they are any good.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I bought this for the online play, which will be ruined when this catches on. If this isn't patched soon, I'd have been able to get it used for cheaper had I held off on buying it.

this is exactly like snaking on the DS..

I just bought the game this morning and haven't played yet.. is there a ranked mode? if all there is is casual matchmaking and everyone ends up just snaking/hopping, I can see the turn off for online. But if this sort of bumping is only left to competitive play, I don't see the problem.

I got decent at snaking on the DS. It's really not hard... but yeah.. I would hate to be a casual player just looking to have some fun online and getting owned by everyone else doing it.

I'm legit impressed with that. It's not obvious cheating like snaking in MKDS, but I can see it makes a difference.
huh? Snaking wasn't cheating.

Kinsei

Banned
this is exactly like snaking on the DS..

I just bought the game this morning and haven't played yet.. is there a ranked mode? if all there is is casual matchmaking and everyone ends up just snaking/hopping, I can see the turn off for online. But if this sort of bumping is only left to competitive play, I don't see the problem.

I got decent at snaking on the DS. It's really not hard... but yeah.. I would hate to be a casual player just looking to have some fun online and getting owned by everyone else doing it.

There is no separation between casual play and ranked matches. Every race you do affects your online score unless you're in a friends only lobby.

K' Dash

There's people on GAF already doing that hop sneaking thing, yesterday they guy in first place ahead of me was doing it in Cloud Top Cruise, no wonder I could not catch up...

Talon

I don't see how that's remarkably different from Mario Kart Wii. It just happens that course is set up that you can snake the whole way.

Acerac

Banned
If they patched issues on 7, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume they'll patch their Wii U game.

The issue on 7 included skipping a large portion of the track. Karts maintaining momentum from a boost by staying airborne hardly seems to be the same scale.

random25

Well since GAF has a private lobby then just out of honesty don't use it for online play if many are against it. Can't control Vs mode against random people but at least people here can set their rules.

Kinsei

Banned
The issue on 7 included skipping a large portion of the track. Karts maintaining momentum from a boost by staying airborne hardly seems to be the same scale of issue.

They both ruin the online. The game was already heavily leaning in the favor of heavier characters, but it didn't bother me too much, but now I'll have to start cheating to be able to play online.

Anyone know the time difference between doing and not doing the hops?

It should get patched out, but this is Nintendo so you never know. Right now more skilled players will obviously win way more often, but sometimes a less skilled one can snatch a win. If this technique makes enough of a difference it becomes really unfair for the people that don't use it, as it'll get incredibly difficult to do well without extreme luck.

Acerac

Banned
Can the hopping be done with bikes (inline drift ones too) or is this going to make bikes completely inferior?

Bikes can't use this, though I believe they still have the sharper turns. Whether or not this balances out is yet to be seen... though it's admittedly unlikely.

*Edit*

Guess it's just inward drift bikes. Meh, I was fairly close.

Acerac

Banned
They both ruin the online. The game was already heavily leaning in the favor of heavier characters, but it didn't bother me too much, but now I'll have to start cheating to be able to play online.
You and I have very different definitions of the word cheat.

Top Bottom