• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
master.channel4_4od_crave.jpg

Drama/Comedy:

Fresh Meat - Follows University freshers in Manchester throughout their first year, funny but also some good acting and writing

Misfits - About superheros on a council estate, sci-fi meets shameless. Probably the best thing on UK tv in the last 2 or 3 years. Gets better and better imo (Must Watch)[/URL]

The Inbetweeners - Follows a group of four lads at a college in suburban London. God-tier television, much more accurate representation of the age group than Skins (Must Watch

Desperate Scousewives - Fuck you. It's good. And Chloe is really, really, really (x10000000) fit.

The IT Crowd - Okay so it's not current TV, but it's pretty much aimed at the kind of people that read GAF. Not my cup of tea really but really rated (the episode where the Irish guy pretends to be disabled is probably the best thing ever)

PhoneShop - The most underrated TV show in the last 5 years. Follows a group of idiots running a phone shop, looks shite, is amazing. Please give it a chance.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Where do you live: Leicester
Where are you from: Birmingham
University: Life
Sports team of choice: Wolves (Footy) & McLaren (F1)
Current political party of choice: Lib Dems
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Stottie
Favourite (current) UK TV show: QI & Britains Next Top Model :D
Oasis or Blur: Blur

Pookmunki

Where do you live: Nottingham
Where are you from: Derby (!)
University: n/a
Sports team of choice: n/a
Current political party of choice: Cons
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Cob
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Luther if it counts
Oasis or Blur: Blur if pushed to choose

Zoibie

CHEEZMO™;34586873 said:
I have BBC News on literally all day.

I've only watched one other thing in God knows how long and that was the Top Gear special.

Basically this, although as a guilty pleasure, I do occasionally turn on Fox News to laugh at the ditzes they call journalists.

Meadows

Banned
watch all that shit I posted or I'll cut you up.

also tell me whether you like it because I lead an empty life and need validation

Ah, excellent. With the revelation in the thread in Gaming about Gamestop closing their Northern Irish stores that there are, in fact, a whole load of Northern Irish-GAF, I was tempted to make a thread but this one will do :)

Pookmunki

I think Outnumbered is pretty funny for a recent uk comedy, the real lols from the kids.

Obviously no Alan P, Chris Morris, Mayall and Edmonson, Cleese, Reeves and Mortimer or Linehan but pretty funny nonetheless

Where do you live: Belfast.
Where are you from: Belfast.
University: Nope.
Sports team of choice: Blackburn Rovers.
Current political party of choice: Meh.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Bap.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Hmmm. Match of the Day? I miss Peep Show!
Oasis or Blur: Oasis probably.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Real men eat stotties!

Bun? - Too small,
Cob? - Too crusty and too small,
Muffin? - That's breakfast or supper you muppet!

Stottie? - A meal in one bread product!
stottielgpop.jpg

Pookmunki

Real men eat stotties!

Bun? - Too small,
Cob? - Too crusty and too small,
Muffin? - That's breakfast or supper you muppet!

Stottie? - A meal in one bread product!
stottielgpop.jpg

A Stottie is a cob scaled to the same ratio as a biscuit to a Wagon Wheel.

I prefer having space for some filling in my mouth besides bread.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
the last UK Gaf topic was basically the 'replies to the questionnaire in the OP topic'.

I think we should discuss... the lack of decent modern comedy on our TV boxes. I mean... there's nothing. Peep Show is about it and there's a huge gap in between the last couple of series. It's almost like they want us to be miserable. Now we have shit like 'Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy'. A show who for people who think its zany as fuck to laugh at things that aren't funny. And absolute bollocks like Mrs Browns Boys.

One reason I started watching anime over the past year. It's not actually funnier (though Gintama is rather good) it's just a refreshing change from the typical UK and US (which I tend to avoid a lot) comedies. Only "comedies" I now watch are panel shows.

Where do you live: South London
Where are you from: South London (same house all me life)
University: KCL (The proper King's College)
Current political party of choice: Doesn't matter who I vote for, Labour will always win here.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Casualty (I just realised I haven't been watching much recently)
Oasis or Blur: There's a drink called Blur?

Where do you live: Twickenham, London and Grays, Essex.
Where are you from: Grays, Essex.
University: Portsmouth (Pharmacology)
St Mary's University College (Masters Degree in Primary Education)
Sports team of choice: West Ham UTD.
Current political party of choice: Left, though disappointed in the Lib Dems.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Bun.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Doctor Who
Oasis or Blur: Neither. Too young to care.

:)

defel

Where do you live: Cardiff
Where are you from: London
University: Cardiff Uni
Sports team of choice: Tottenham/Swansea
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Say What? Bun I guess...
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Masterchef
Oasis or Blur: Oasis

Osiris

You need to double the amount of filling. That makes it an awesome roll. Double bread, double filling!

Indeed!

Try a T-Bone steak in a Stottie, now *that's* a burger! :D

Wes

venison crêpe
I thought Fresh Meat was going to be crap from the trailers but it's actually quite a good little show.

I find Outnumbered dull as hell, personally. Where did all the ridiculousness in comedies go to? People wonder why Inbetweeners does so well but the answer is really because it's so hilarious, and so to the point with it's comedy. It doesn't fuck around trying to be charming. It's the same reason people will watch Friends and Scrubs repeats forever. Sketch shows have virtually disappeared too, which doesn't help.

Mind you, there's plenty of utter fucking comedy failures that BBC1 has tried over the last few years that are stupid but, well, terrible. Mrs Brown's Boys is probably doing the kind of thing I miss and it's garbage. We need some new talent in comedy, that's for sure. The only decent UK comedy shows nowadays are chatshows or panel shows. Even Gervais's stuff fucking sucks.

Fresh Meat is fantastic, but it's not a full-on comedy, so... yeah.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I kind of enjoy Outnumbered. I don't don't look out for it in the TV schedule, but if its on I'll probably watch it.

I find myself just reading the weekly rants in The Culture's tv section.

Empty

new thick of it series sometime this year will save uk comedy.

outnumbered is pedestrian and middle class but it has its charms in the kids' improvised stuff. getting a bit stale now though.

Where do you live: Liverpool

Where are you from: Liverpool

Occupation: I work in the Loss Prevention / Risk area of Finance

University: LJMU

Sports team of choice: YNWA. Liverpool FC

Current political party of choice: Labour

Barm, batch, cob or bun: Barm. The big giant barm posted in the image above is called a 'bin lid' round my way if anyone is interested

Favourite (current) UK TV show: Take Me Out is quality

Oasis or Blur: Fuck them both, The Verve!

Great thread idea, surprised to see so many wools and mancs who live relatively nearby on GAF ha

Meadows

Banned
Could I just push people towards PhoneShop again, criminally underated and hilarious for what it is.

I've never physically laughed as much as when I watched it. No not just smiling, or thinking it's funny, outright laughing, been ages since I've done that. Fucking amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
outnumbered is pedestrian and middle class but it has its charms in the kids' improvised stuff. getting a bit stale now though.

Yeah, it was better in the past. Has kind of over stayed its welcome. I usually get a chuckle out of the parents' lines more than the kids'.

McFlame

Where do you live: Taipei, Taiwan but will be back to Brighton next month
Where are you from: Newport, Wales
University: Kent from September onwards
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Say what? Butty?
Favourite (current) UK TV show: None

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
Where do you live: Sheffield/Manchester
Where are you from: Manchester
University: University of Sheffield (woo - Law!)
Sports team of choice: Not really interested...
Current political party of choice: Not really interested..
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Barm
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock!
Oasis or Blur: Oasis. (Feel like I should point out that Noel's solo stuff is far better than Beady Eye)

Meadows

Banned
Oh God, Outnumbered is that shite one with Hugh Dennis isn't it.

Hugh Dennis is proper shite, the best thing he's ever done were those direct line adverts and that says something.

Where do you live: Blackburn
Where are you from:Blackburn
University: I hate students, all of you disgust me
Sports team of choice:Blackburn Rovers
Current political party of choice: Not interested
Barm, batch, cob or bun: teackae (thats what they are here)
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Him and Her (series 2 recently finished)
Oasis or Blur: Blur back in the day but Oasis in hindsight

Oh God, Outnumbered is that shite one with Hugh Dennis isn't it.

Hugh Dennis is proper shite, the best thing he's ever done were those direct line adverts and that says something.
The Mary Whitehouse Experience was good at the time.

I also validate your choice of IT crowd episode. I commented on a friend's netflix facebook post earlier today that Work Outing was the best ep by far.

Pookmunki

Re: Outnumbered - I'll watch if its on wouldn't class it in the pantheon of greats but its no Gavin and Stacy either.

Hugh Dennis is a cock though, that I'll agree to the death.

What I wouldn't give for some new Darkplace, its the Shenmue of British comedy.

Wiseblade

Oasis or Blur: Neither

Oasis or Blur: They both suck arse

Oasis or Blur: Oasis (I know strange for a southerner...)

Oasis or Blur: They both suck

Oasis or Blur: Iron Maiden

Oasis or Blur: not keen on either band as a whole but each has a few tracks i like, oasis more than blur though.

Oasis or Blur: Fuck the both of them.

Oasis or Blur: The Wildhearts

Oasis or Blur: Supergrass

Oasis or Blur: Oasis probably.

Oasis or Blur: Neither. Too young to care.

:)

Oasis or Blur: Fuck them both, The Verve!

Oasis or Blur: Oasis.

Oasis or Blur: Blur back in the day but Oasis in hindsight

I hate you all.

Meadows

Banned
People dislike the Royle Family?

It's probably in the top 10 of UK TV shows...ever! Fantastic, touching, funny and honest.

rare footage of cheezmo about town

It's probably in the top 10 of UK TV shows...ever! Fantastic, touching, funny and honest.

Well, if people = me then yes. It's basically the opposite of why I watch TV- complete lack of escapism.

One of my favourite things about it is when they mock people sitting around watching the telly doing nothing - which is exactly what they are doing. Which is exactly what the audience is doing.

It literally took the piss out of three groups of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom