• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

kewlmyc

Rank 6 Grand Prix killed any confidence that I am somewhat decent at this game. Took an hour to beat Ninjara, and still haven't beaten Mechanica as Min Min. Gonna go sulk for a while.

phanphare

Banned
took some shots doing grand prix with min min

ddyf49ivwaa30ogkexmp.jpg

ddyf-fsuqaatbwovuynu.jpg

ddygcd_u0aaqvnto2oad.jpg

best alt

Ketch

Snake park sucks. It should be a mini game

So frustrating pulling that stage in ranked.

Also, anybody know what the shield with the Y button icon is in the bottom left while searching ranked?

random25

Snake park sucks. It should be a mini game

So frustrating pulling that stage in ranked.

Also, anybody know what the shield with the Y button icon is in the bottom left while searching ranked?

Snake Park seems to be better after the patch. Dunno what changed specifically but hitting opponents while riding the beyblade is now much easier from my experience.

Enables/disables ranked matchmaking.

Easy Allies are streaming their own casual tournament on Switch right now. Its been pretty fun to watch, this really is a great game for getting together with friends.

It kind of rubbed me in the wrong way when Ben said this game should cost 20 dollars lol.

Like I get it lacks a robust single player but 20 dollars c'mon lol.

Ketch

Snake Park seems to be better after the patch. Dunno what changed specifically but hitting opponents while riding the beyblade is now much easier from my experience.

Enables/disables ranked matchmaking.

Which one is disabled? Blinking or not blinking?

Saddest part about snake park is that t would be a cool stage if it just didn't have the hover boards.

random25

Which one is disabled? Blinking or not blinking?

Saddest part about snake park is that t would be a cool stage if it just didn't have the hover boards.

If it's white it's not searching. If red it's actively searching v. If blinking red it is already loading up the match and you can't turn it off.

It kind of rubbed me in the wrong way when Ben said this game should cost 20 dollars lol.

Like I get it lacks a robust single player but 20 dollars c'mon lol.

It's worth $60 to me because I've already put more than 20 hours into it and will keep playing for a while because I find it extremely fun, but I get the complaints about the lack of single player content. $20 is a bit low though I agree. Lowest it should be is $40 honestly and I'm happy paying $60.

LegendX48

Rank 6 Grand Prix killed any confidence that I am somewhat decent at this game. Took an hour to beat Ninjara, and still haven't beaten Mechanica as Min Min. Gonna go sulk for a while.

Ninjara's a bastard but Mechanica, you can do it! Ram Ram's on a perma charged left arm will help as well

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can glean most of this from watching the ARMS University video series and read this post on the short hop charge, but there is some other information in here.

---

Table of Contents

• Charging Mechanics
  • Dash Guard Cancel
  • Rush Guard Cancel
  • Slide Punching
  • Short Hop Charge
  • Air Dash Refresh
  • Combo Damage
  • Rush Meter Gain/Round Tactics
  • Anti-Rush Play

----
Charging Mechanics

As I'm sure most of you know by now, there are two types of charging:
  • A short charge, from guarding, holding dash or jump briefly, or touching the ground without having thrown a punch (notably in the short hop charge, see below).
  • A full charge, which can only be performed by holding dash or jump until the full charging up animation for your character is complete. The duration a full charge lasts (meaning how long your arms get to stay charged afterward) varies per character.
You can get a short charge frequently just by understanding that you will always get one if you touch the ground from any kind of jump without having thrown a punch.

Dash Guard Cancel/Parry
Video
Input: While Guarding, Dash at the moment a hit connects with your block.

You can dash through your opponent's Arms forward, or in any direction you choose. Remember that if you do close the distance between you, you may or may not be able to punish based on the speed of your and your opponents' Arms. But if you are dash guard canceling through slow arms, you can easily punish to pile on damage.

Rush Guard Cancel
Video
Input: While Guarding, Rush at the moment a hit connects with your block.

You can punish with a Rush right from a guard. An obvious use case for this is when successfully guarding an opponent's Rush, but make sure you know the timing/attack pattern of that Rush before assuming it is safe to counter.

Slide Punching
Input: Dash, then immediately punch.

By punching right as you begin a dash, you'll carry your momentum into the punch such that your character will slide. This can be critical for dodging and creating openings. This will slightly affect the trajectory of your punch, such that a "straight-on" punch will need a slight curve to connect from a slide.

Short Hop Charge
Input: Tap Jump

Because you gain a short charge any time your feet touch the ground from the air without throwing a punch, you can efficiently just hop by tapping jump for the shortest possible charge in the game. This is particular useful during your opponent's wakeup phase.

Air Dash Refresh

Whenever a punch is interrupted in the air, your air dash cooldown is refreshed.

Combo Damage

Rush Meter Gain/Round Tactics

Anti-Rush Play

I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see the game is still hanging in there at #1 on the US eshop. I thought Minecraft would be back on top after a couple of days.

I just met this Twintelle that completely TRASHED me, by far the best player I've ever seen, I couldn't win regardless if I used the hydras or toasters or poppers, that witch time was something else, I went from max rank 15 to 75% rank 14 just rematching the dude and I couldn't reliably predict him or read him or find a pattern and then I was like screw it let me change the toasters for Bubbs and I immediately destroyed him by spamming it with Helix in tower mode to the point he gave up and handed me the win and quit...it was THAT easy

I feel...dirty..

Like I cheated..

I didn't deserve that win..

I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see the game is still hanging in there at #1 on the US eshop. I thought Minecraft would be back on top after a couple of days.

I believe the eShop charts are based on the past two weeks, so what will be really telling is how well it holds up in a few days when the window of data is past the launch weekend. Pretty encouraging, though, and it's worth noting that all the first-party releases (Zelda, Snipperclips, MK8D) are still holding strong on the charts even as more recent digital titles come and go.

Ketch

I just met this Twintelle that completely TRASHED me, by far the best player I've ever seen, I couldn't win regardless if I used the hydras or toasters or poppers, that witch time was something else, I went from max rank 15 to 75% rank 14 just rematching the dude and I couldn't reliably predict him or read him or find a pattern and then I was like screw it let me change the toasters for Bubbs and I immdrdiately destroyed him by spamming it with Helix to the point he gave up and handed me the win and quit...

I feel...dirty..

What arms was the twin using? I got bodied by a rank 8 twin using double cold gloves. Between the bullet time and getting chilled my options were block and get thrown or don't block and get punched.

On the rematch I went double crackers and rushed her down for an easy 2-0.

Edit: also, F that guilt dude. It's in the game, valid tactic, they couldn't beat it, you win.

Edit2: it's not like you were riding a hover board or something.

What arms was the twin using? I got bodied by a rank 8 twin using double cold gloves. Between the bullet time and getting chilled my options were block and get thrown or don't block and get punched.

On the rematch I went double crackers and rushed her down for an easy 2-0.

Edit: also, F that guilt dude. It's in the game, valid tactic, they couldn't beat it, you win.

Parasol and ram ram/thunderbird

Neiteio

Ribbon Girl grab spam is still a problem. I have no issues punishing every other character.
As someone who mains Ribbon Girl, it's nice being able to multi-hop over an opponent's grab attempts while continuing to throw your own until it finally connects in your favor.

Kuugrr

Ribbon Girl grab spam is still a problem. I have no issues punishing every other character.

Geez, do you have trouble with Ninjara online? I always either seem to get teleport-grab/ ink-electro'd all the time, and I find every other character pretty easy to punish.

I main Kid Cobra and kinda play Twintelle and a couple other chars (in that order) if that helps.

3DShovel

Geez, do you have trouble with Ninjara online? I always either seem to get teleport-grab/ ink-electro'd all the time, and I find every other character pretty easy to punish.

I main Kid Cobra and kinda play Twintelle and a couple other chars (in that order) if that helps.
Ninjara is usually pretty easy to predict. I just quickstep as cobra and usually get the upper hand for a return grab.

Ribbon Girl is tough because she never touches the ground and her arms return super fast

Is there any strategy to V Ball? I feel like it just... does whatever it feels like. Pretty terrible mode.

I like hoops tho.

V-Ball is all about training you to master how the camera rotation/tracking works in this game. It's excellent once you grasp the basics and are lucky enough to draw an evenly matched opponent. Your angle of approach, distance from the net, and punch speed all matter. Pick standard arms until you get the hang of it, and you'll be scoring 5-0s in no time.

To be more specific, try to position yourself such that when the ball comes over the net, it's between you and the net and not way off to your side. Just watch your opponent's position, anticipate where the ball will go, and strafe or back up as necessary. Your camera follows the ball, so what you want to do is position yourself such that following the ball also means facing your opponent's half of the court.

If it looks like you're in trouble, grabbing the ball sets it in the air and allows you to spike it with a punch, but you need to spike it quickly or your opponent might slap the ball first.

Don't forget that aerial punches work too. I like using charged aerial punches for the first hit when the ball drops, as you have a lot of control over where to send it flying.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I always just set and spike the ball with my quickest arm... lol.

Streaming Ranked and/or GP if I get rocked over and over. Post if you want a lobby.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Is there any strategy to V Ball? I feel like it just... does whatever it feels like. Pretty terrible mode.

I like hoops tho.

I like vball better than hoops. Hoops is a "who missed the grab, the next guy scores" mode. Which leads to these uncomfortable standoffs of not trying to grab for too long.

random25

That Kid Cobra default vertical tri-arm (forgot the name) is basically the best v-ball arm. It sends the ball at steep trajectory even without setting because of its weird way of hitting the ball.

Neiteio

Hoops is way more fun than it has any right to be. On paper it sounds so simple — grab your opponent for (near) guaranteed points. But in practice it becomes this elaborate dance of fake-outs — quick jabs, quick footwork, trying to bait the grab so you can punish with a grab, which they can still dodge if they play at a distance... or if you see an opening, going for a rush attack to bounce your opponent off the walls.

Hoops is always, always fun. And V-Ball is no slouch either, once you realize you can grab to set the ball before spiking it with a follow-up punch. I've had some amazing rallies in V-Ball.

I like vball better than hoops. Hoops is a "who missed the grab, the next guy scores" mode. Which leads to these uncomfortable standoffs of not trying to grab for too long.

If you want to avoid this, one viable approach to Hoops is to treat it like a straight fight, play grab defence by out-punching the opponent, and win with rushes. Only grab when you know you'll get it done (like if you disable your opponent with an electric arm).

Neiteio

If you want to avoid this, one viable approach to Hoops is to treat it like a straight fight, play grab defence by out-punching the opponent, and win with rushes. Only grab when you know you'll get it done (like if you disable your opponent with an electric arm).
That's definitely a valid strategy. That's what continues to impress me about Hoops, how there's all this depth that wasn't apparent at first.

DrDogg

I've been playing a lot offline, but I'm forced to use motion controls because block just hurts my thumb way too much. I've shifted to default Arms now because it looks like almost all tournaments will be default Arms.

I can't say I'm enjoying the motion controls, but I do think they're better than traditional based on how the game was designed. I'd prefer to use traditional, but it's clear why the developers think motion is superior.

I just met this Twintelle that completely TRASHED me, by far the best player I've ever seen, I couldn't win regardless if I used the hydras or toasters or poppers, that witch time was something else, I went from max rank 15 to 75% rank 14 just rematching the dude and I couldn't reliably predict him or read him or find a pattern and then I was like screw it let me change the toasters for Bubbs and I immediately destroyed him by spamming it with Helix in tower mode to the point he gave up and handed me the win and quit...it was THAT easy

I feel...dirty..

Like I cheated..

I didn't deserve that win..

So a rank 15 Twintelle beat you with an electric Arm?

I see...

I've been playing a lot offline, but I'm forced to use motion controls because block just hurts my thumb way too much. I've shifted to default Arms now because it looks like almost all tournaments will be default Arms.

I have no idea how the scene is going to develop for this game, but is that really gonna be the case? I can see that being true for a month or two, but it would be a shame to see only default ARMS. I think this game can thrive on creativity.

It also prevents people from bringing set-ups if they have ARMS upgraded. There's no way to "un-upgrade" them once you get a dupe.

I can't say I'm enjoying the motion controls, but I do think they're better than traditional based on how the game was designed. I'd prefer to use traditional, but it's clear why the developers think motion is superior.

So a rank 15 Twintelle beat you with an electric Arm?

I see...

They actually used the ram ram primarily and only used the thunderbird in the final match as a last ditch effort to try to do SOMETHING to i against my counter to no avail, and when the bird did hit me it never electrified me.

DrDogg

I have no idea how the scene is going to develop for this game, but is that really gonna be the case? I can see that being true for a month or two, but it would be a shame to see only default ARMS. I think this game can thrive on creativity.

It also prevents people from bringing set-ups if they have ARMS upgraded. There's no way to "un-upgrade" them once you get a dupe.

I'm sure there will be some "special" events that have a custom Arms tournament, but most tournaments will be default Arms. It just takes way too much effort to unlock all the Arms and then get the upgrades as well. TOs can't rely on people to bring their consoles. It's just not feasible.

Smaller events will likely have custom Arms, but nothing that would be even close to a major. If the game ever hits Evo (which I think is unlikely at this point) it would almost definitely be default Arms.

They actually used the ram ram primarily and only used the thunderbird in the final match as a last ditch effort to try to do SOMETHING to i against my counter to no avail, and when the bird did hit me it never electrified me.

They used it enough for you to mention it, but whatever.

Was it in their load out or did they change the load out to add Thunderbird? (which is not a great electric Arm and a poor counter to punch spamming Helix imo)

Nezumi

Finally got the game and really liking it. Currently making my way through training mode and have gotten as far as Byte & Barq... I can't seem to get anywhere. His arms just retract so fast that he is always able to block my rush no matter when I activate it. I'm using Min Min and have tried all possible combinations of her starting arms... they all just seem too slow. I understand that this wants to teach me how to spot openings, but... I'ma starting to feel I might simply not be good enough. Any tips?

I'm sure there will be some "special" events that have a custom Arms tournament, but most tournaments will be default Arms. It just takes way too much effort to unlock all the Arms and then get the upgrades as well. TOs can't rely on people to bring their consoles. It's just not feasible.

Smaller events will likely have custom Arms, but nothing that would be even close to a major. If the game ever hits Evo (which I think is unlikely at this point) it would almost definitely be default Arms.

If smaller events will have custom ARMS, then that would likely translate to bigger events having the same thing. It makes little sense for two different metas to co-exist like that.

Smash 4 managed to make custom moves work for a good part of a year (and even had them legal in EVO 2015), and the system for those was far worse than what we get in ARMS. Unlocking everything in ARMS is simply a matter of time, while unlocking custom moves was pure luck.

This is especially true since literally everything you do earns you coins in this game. Extended play sessions will have players earn hundreds of coins at a time. It will take ~30 goes at the ARMS Getter (with a long timer) to unlock everything right now, which translates to ~6000 coins. That's a feasible number to attain for people willing to put in the work to actually go to tournaments for this game.

EDIT: The only thing that gives me pause about having every ARM available are future DLC characters. The number of ARMS one needs to unlock increases linearly* with each new character added (if DLC characters need to unlock theirs the same as everyone else's, along with everyone getting the new ARMS). Max Brass alone will add 123 new ARMS to unlock across all characters. The next character after him would add 135. It may get overwhelming at some point.

*The formula for this is 12(x - 1) + 3 = # of new ARMS to unlock, where x is the number of playable characters.

random25

"Custom" arms should be allowed in tournaments in the future (if the scene flourishes). Unlocking them might be tedious in the beginning but they are much easier because of three things:

- just about all things you do in the game earns you coins, which you use for ARMS getter.
- in a long-timer ARMS getter, it's pretty ordinary to get at least 20 unique arms (a new arm or a once-only duplicate) per game.
- There's only 570 unique arms (270 new and 300 once-only dupes) to collect. Assuming a regular rate of 20 arms per getter session, that's playing it 29 times paying 5800 coins. Could be more, could be less, but that's most likely a safe assumption.

Constantly playing the game on a regular basis that's not over the top, a full set of upgraded arms to all characters could be done in like a month per game save. I have collected like 70-80% of all the arms already since playing the game day 1, and I'm pretty sure there are already lots of people who have the full set by now. So as tedious as it might look in the beginning, it's actually much easier than say, unlocking all characters and stages in Melee. If tournament organizers and players play the game so much to get better at it, then the complete setups would probably be available in mass amounts in a few weeks.

EDIT: The only thing that gives me pause about having every ARM available are future DLC characters. The number of ARMS one needs to unlock increases linearly* with each new character added (if DLC characters need to unlock theirs the same as everyone else's, along with everyone getting the new ARMS). Max Brass alone will add 123 new ARMS to unlock across all characters. The next character after him would add 135. It may get overwhelming at some point.

*The formula for this is 12(x - 1) + 3 = # of new ARMS to unlock, where x is the number of playable characters.

If getting the DLC arms would be playing the arms getter again, then there are fixes that can be applied:

1. Temporarily ban DLC arms and/or characters when the tournament is near the DLC release.
2. Lift the ban after people have given time to fully retrieve and study the new characters and arms, like say after a month.

It can get tedious if that's the case, but since all the stock arms are already gathered by that time, then the effort won't be as much as when you are beginning the game.

LordKano

How in the world are you supposed to beat that Twintelle in the training mode ? It's the only one I can't figure out. I had some difficulties with the Ninjara thrown training but managed to get the hang of it after a few tries, but this one is beyond me.

Also, I'm starting to think that my will to main Spring Man is dropping, especially when I lost like my first five ranked battles online, before I picked Mechanica once and wrecked my opponent >_>.

Chauzu

Some talk of Hoops here. I played Party yesterday for change of pace, and I played one Hoops match. I had learned that rush scores a 3 pointer in Hoops so I spent the whole match building a rush and getting the 3 pointer, winning in Hoops 3-0 without throwing a single grab.

RRockman

Banned
How in the world are you supposed to beat that Twintelle in the training mode ? It's the only one I can't figure out. I had some difficulties with the Ninjara thrown training but managed to get the hang of it after a few tries, but this one is beyond me.

Also, I'm starting to think that my will to main Spring Man is dropping, especially when I lost like my first five ranked battles online, before I picked Mechanica once and wrecked my opponent >_>.

Stick with the spring, man. His charge barrier is fantastic when you learn to bait grabs and I can't tell you how many comebacks I've made when entering perma charge and keeping my cool. Definitely one of my favorite "basic/starter characters" next to Ky Kiske and Ken. Have you tried using an automatic type arm on your non dominant hand and a direct type in your dominant hand?

Mdk7

This game is so good, seriously. And I'm loving my Kid Cobra so much, that dirty little creep.

Too bad the online is downright abysmal on the Switch, mainly due to the obtuse limitations of the system: you can't send messages, you can't send invites, you can't congratulate someone for a good match you can't chat... absolutely fucking nothing.

Top Bottom