• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

Demon Ice

Banned
The Indoctrination Theory "fits" because people desperately want it to fit. It's a little sad. 3 hour fan made documentary on a theory...whereas Bioware's official "Extended Cut" adds what, 10 minutes? Not even.

Indoctrination Theory has become Mass Effect's religion. People desperately want it to be true, to the point of self-delusion.

So, the EC is coming really soon in the UK, I'm spanish and I don't fell like waiting a whole week to play it, anyone knows how to get it with one of those VNP's or something?

The Indoctrination Theory "fits" because people desperately want it to fit. It's a little sad. 3 hour fan made documentary on a theory...whereas Bioware's official "Extended Cut" adds what, 10 minutes?

I'm skipping through it and pretty much every point could be explained away by the developers being lazy or the developers thinking they are being artistic when really they are just being retarded.

Sojgat

Can't wait for the EC, I know in my heart it will only make things worse. I swear it will be a bunch of 5 min cutscenes following James and Liara around on that jungle planet. Get your popcorn ready.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait so I just read on the last page that it's only 7 added minutes, then why the fuck is it 2GB in size ?

MormaPope

Banned
Thinking about it, who is Bioware trying to please with the ending? People that didn't buy Mass Effect 3 did so because they either never invested time or interest in the series, the ending isn't really a selling point to many products, it matters in the sense of satisfaction and closure, but not raw sales or gaining interest.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm skipping through it and pretty much every point could be explained away by the developers being lazy or the developers thinking they are being artistic when really they are just being retarded.

Haha absolutely.

"The armor is different! They have never done this before!"
"The armor can't be burned, look at how shiny it is. Even if the armor is burned or damaged, the shoulder pads don't look like the one's I chose" <- Holy shit. Does anyone actually believe this? Maybe, just maybe, Bioware was too lazy to remodel every single piece of armor into a "damaged version". Oh god no, I can't go on. This is horrible to watch.

Wait so I just read on the last page that it's only 7 added minutes, then why the fuck is it 2GB in size ?

BioWare Community manager Jessica Merizan twitted that it adds 10+ minutes to a walkthrough, (that's around 15 minutes of cut-scenes I think) but it seems there are now multiple permutations depending on you actions through the trilogy, hence the size. Also you only need 3.100 EMS points to see all scenes.

Thinking about it, who is Bioware trying to please with the ending? People that didn't buy Mass Effect 3 did so because they either never invested time or interest in the series, the ending isn't really a selling point to many products, it matters in the sense of satisfaction and closure, but not raw sales or gaining interest.
BioWare is trying to win back the core players, after the huge ending outrage a huge portion of the core fan community has lost interest in the game due the ending, which they think renders the whole trilogy futile. If EA/BioWare don't rekindle interest they look at most of it's core audience refusing to buy any SP DLC.

BioWare Community manager Jessica Merizan twitted that it adds 10+ minutes to a walkthrough, (that's around 15 minutes of cut-scenes I think) but it seems there are now multiple permutations depending on you actions through the trilogy, hence the size. Also you only need 3.100 EMS points to see all scenes.

Ugh, kind of want to see this new content, but I don't know if I feel like playing this game any more....

BioWare is trying to win back the core players, after the huge ending outrage a huge portion of the core fan community has lost interest in the game due the ending, which they think renders the whole trilogy futile. If EA/BioWare don't rekindle interest they look at most of it's core audience refusing to buy any SP DLC.

Plus a considerable portion of its core audience not buying any future games. After The Old Republic, Dragon Age 2 and ME3 Bioware are off my automatic purchase list.

rakhir

Here.

When does the Extended Cut release?
  • The Extended Cut will release on June 26th on Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3 in North America and July 4th for PlayStation 3 in Europe.

In France, Germany Spain and Portugal. I think it comes to the UK today too (PC), I'm Spanish so I'll try to get it through Origin with a proxy or something. PS3 users have to wait anyway.

Thanks guys.
That's really wonky writing on Bioware's part, since only PS3 is listed for Europe i assumed only that version is delayed.

Well, everything will be on youtube tonight regardless.

I'm still waiting for a source on that, but I guess it really doesn't matter now. The extended cut will be in peoples' hands in less than 20 minutes. We'll know for sure soon enough. But it's nearly 5 AM and I spent all night getting my Galactic Readiness to 100%. Time to rest up and I'll tackle the DLC later.

This won't be a forced update but rather a separate, optional piece of DLC, right?
I'm asking because my gf is playing ME3 now and she wants to see that original, horrible ending no matter what and then afterwards, download the DLC and see what they did there.
I plan to go for 100% game completion with the new ending in about a month or so.

Firestorm

I'm still waiting for a source on that, but I guess it really doesn't matter now. The extended cut will be in peoples' hands in less than 20 minutes. We'll know for sure soon enough. But it's nearly 5 AM and I spent all night getting my Galactic Readiness to 100%. Time to rest up and I'll tackle the DLC later.

You only need 3100 EMS. I have that at 50%...

kami_sama

In France, Germany Spain and Portugal. I think it comes to the UK today too (PC), I'm Spanish so I'll try to get it through Origin with a proxy or something. PS3 users have to wait anyway.
Sonsa·$%/&, why I must wait a week when I'm playing the game in English?!?

If you have a proxy that works, just put it in this thread.

Westraid

I'll play it. Not really like how I have to get through the last two 'levels' of the game again, but Mass Effect has delivered enough fun for me to be willing to sit it through.

No expectations here, as Bioware already stated they weren't changing the ending.
Will record it for YT purposes if my Hauppauge is cooperating.

- J - D -

I'm secretly wishing that I'll wake up to see glowing praise for it, that it saved ME3. A guy can dream, can't he?

Now, to slip away into slumber, where the ME3 ending was good.

Dresden

No! I can't take anymore of the rage. I hope everyone is pleasantly surprised and optimistic about Mass Effect's future when I wake up. :(

I'm secretly hoping for

Wow, I had my doubts but Bioware really did it! It answered every question and provided a satisfying conclusion to this epic space opera! I love you Bioware! Also thanks for providing Tali an actual face that's not just a stock photo with some shop work done on it!

spekkeh

Banned
I just can't understand indoctrination theorists. In any other media that kind of 'twist' ending would reward the player by letting you reflect and go 'oh yeah that makes sense!' or give you some sense of depth on a repeat playthrough. Circumstantial 'evidence' that you still cannot believe unless you ACTIVELY reject what is shown to you, is not quality writing. It would still not be genius. The IDEA is smart, but if it were intended...THEY STILL WROTE IT LIKE SHIT. At the very minimum, it should be clear that something isn't 'right' with Shep and the world. If they haven't communicated that to 100% of players they've failed to implement indoctrination correctly already, it's ok if there's some ambiguity as to how that plays out, if there's a trail of clues to follow and enough to put people on the scent because the ending is so clearly amiss.

Instead, we get an ending that is certainly 'amiss' but in all the wrong ways. I HIGHLY doubt that anyone on the entire planet who didn't already know about Indoctrination, watched the ending and thought anything other than 'that was hack writing'. At that point, even if it were true, it's a failure of an ending and it's a failure in the writing. Period.
I'm not an ITheorist, but I do think there's clues to indoctrination that were purposefully put in. Either they were playing with it and forgot to take it out, or they put it in for lots of speculation by everyone. I do agree the ending was hack writing regardless, the dialogue especially.

Also thanks for providing Tali an actual face that's not just a stock photo with some shop work done on it!

Then the Extended Cut wasn't done in vain.

But seriously, I hope this DLC doesn't cause another round of cupcakes and people submitting complaints to the BBB.

spekkeh

Banned
My brother in law borrowed my copy of the game, and he just got a kid so will hardly be playing it. Consequently I won't be able to play the EC for months to come, but I do want to know your thoughts about it.

Maybe we should get a poll going for people that finish the extended cut, where they can tell us what they thought about it.

1. (Renegade)

tumblr_m47jb2QVFM1qcojno.gif

2. (Neutral)

86905701-3.jpg

3. (Paragon)

ohgodn.gif

But seriously, I hope this DLC doesn't cause another round of cupcakes and people submitting complaints to the BBB.

Sheep! Baaaa! Baaaa! If you like EA so much, why don't you marry it?

If you don't support hoping BioWare goes out of business and hundreds lose their jobs, then you are part of the crisis facing gamers today! God, the crash can't come soon enough!

Top Bottom