• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Motorstorm: Apocalypse screens

BeeDog

MotorStorm 2 is probably the most underrated game on the PS3, so my hype-level for this one is off the charts. Move the fuck over Resistance 3 and The Last Guardian. <3

Suzzopher

All three of the games so far have been brilliant. But this looks like it's on another level.

When I played it last year it blew me away, but it looks so much better now.

MercuryLS

Banned
BeeDog said:
MotorStorm 2 is probably the most underrated game on the PS3, so my hype-level for this one is off the charts. Move the fuck over Resistance 3 and The Last Guardian. <3
hcOSm.gif

satriales

Metalmurphy said:
No, that's the definition if rubberband AI, not cheating. Again, they don't cheat. They don't do anything that you can't do.

I golded all events in both MS and MS:pR. I never cheated the AI... and yes it was crazy fun even if frustrating. I got the same joy out of it as I did from Demon Souls. Same type of frustrating game, same type of great feeling of achievement once you ace a race.
The AI did cheat. You could be boosting in the fastest vehicle, taking the quickest short cut and be in 1st place but then suddenly you see the AI in front of you as they have inexplicably taken a longer route and passed you depsite you going as fast as possible.

The developers even admitted that the AI would cheat but say it won't in Apocalypse:
In the past, yeah, the AI did cheat, but the important thing this time is that we never let them do anything impossible.
http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/blogs/motorstorm-apocalypse-intervie.html

satriales said:
The AI did cheat. You could be boosting in the fastest vehicle, taking the quickest short cut and be in 1st place but then suddenly you see the AI in front of you as they have inexplicably taken a longer route and passed you depsite you going as fast as possible.
No. That NEVER happens. If you don't crash, are in the lead, and are fast you WILL stay there. All the races I made where I didn't crash and followed the fastest line never ONCE was I overtaken like that. I remained the entire race in the lead. Don't be mistaken by crossovers that actually take a longer router afterwards.

satriales said:
The developers even admitted that the AI would cheat but say it won't in Apocalypse:

http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/blogs/motorstorm-apocalypse-intervie.html
Funny as I've seen them say otherwise on the official forums. He probably didn't mean cheat as in really cheat but regarding the rubber banding.

satriales

Metalmurphy said:
No. That NEVER happens. If you don't crash, are in the lead, and are fast you WILL stay there. All the races I made where I didn't crash and followed the fastest line never ONCE was I overtaken like that. I remained the entire race in the lead. Don't be mistaken by crossovers that actually take a longer router afterwards.
It happened to me many times. If you are doing a perfect lap in the fastest vehicle for the race, going into the final corner you shouldn't be neck and neck with AI that is in a slower vehicle or taken a longer route. That happens almost every race as it's impossible to lose the AI and they don't all take the quickest route.

There is a way to stop the AI from cheating though: If you are in 1st place and keep looking behind you then they will not do anything that you can't do. However if you just play normally they will be impossibly fast. The difference is obvious if you try a race both ways.

Metalmurphy said:
Funny as I've seen them say otherwise on the official forums. He probably didn't mean cheat as in really cheat but regarding the rubber banding.
He says "This time they won't do anything impossible", clearly suggesting that in the past the AI did cheat (along with him actually saying the AI did cheat).

Also, he's Lead Designer so probably knows more about it than the community guys on the forums.

BeeDog said:
MotorStorm 2 is probably the most underrated game on the PS3, so my hype-level for this one is off the charts.
Hell yes. I just got back into Pacific Rift and I'm loving the hell out of it.

Jim

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Note to devs:

We really need that new fucking Carmageddon game stat.

It surprised me that you can totally run down pedestrians in MSA. They grab onto the hood and everything.

Wazzim said:
I don't know man, we didn't see it in motion (real time) yet, did we?

There's been a demo around at retail Sony Style stores and such. I was playing it on 3D at the NYC location last month. Not to mention the E3. And there are plenty of actual demo gameplay vids too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSmLdXU1vM
The game is in constant motion.

Jim said:
It surprised me that you can totally run down pedestrians in MSA. They grab onto the hood and everything.
You could do it in Pacific Rift as well :p There's a trophy for it and everything.

Rflagg

fastford58 said:
Will this game be using rubber band ai....actually, did the last game use it? I hated the first because of that shit.
Yes it did. I sort of had a love hate thing with it, the rubber band ai kept races fairly interesting, but it was all kinds of annoying to lose because one mistake on the last lap. I agree with Metal, I am not anywhere near the best player and Pacific Rift was very beatable.

Loudninja

MotorStorm Apocalypse Video Interview
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/08/motorstorm-apocalypse-video-interview-2/#comment-517780

PS blog comments:
Jamie Brayshaw | February 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am

Keeping that trend going, hopefully you’ll love Apocalypse *even more*! :)

The AI has been overhauled for MotorStorm Apocalypse so that it behaves more realistically and, importantly, so that it can’t do anything that the player can’t do.
Jamie Brayshaw | February 8th, 2011 at 11:55 am

You will be able to get a taste of the racing action closer to release – look out for news on a demo on the blog closer to release!

Jamie Brayshaw | February 8th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

There’s no news on NGP – the team here at Evolution Studios are completely focused on bringing an intense and robust MotorStorm Apocalypse experience to PlayStation 3 first and foremost!

I’ve mentioned previously that driving wheel support is something we’re really keen to deliver, but only if we can make it work well and are satisfied that it enhances the experience overall. You’ll have to “watch this space” unfortunately! Plans for PlayStation Home and downloadable demos will be revealed separately too… :)

LiquidMetal14 said:
Makes me wonder if they will use MLAA. I would hope that is the default AA method by now. Especially for 1st party games. MS1 and MSPR both looked damn good and had some kind of AA if I recall.

MLAA isn't a particularly good fit for a racing game.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
bluedeviltron said:
Yep, that looks like another whacky racing game that nobody will buy.

Nothing to see here, folks.
exactly.

bluedeviltron said:
Yep, that looks like another whacky racing game that nobody will buy.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Not sure if serious...

MS1 sold over 3Million.
Pacific Rift sold over 1Million.

Pimpbaa

I like how these guys are not afraid to use color unlike so many other developers. When I first played the second Motorstorm game, it was like opening a bag of skittles. Desaturated colors and piss yellow filters do NOT make your game look good (hear that codemasters?!).

Sanjay

Did not really like the first one but Pacific Rift was so awesome, the track designs were off the hook.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The driver was really, really good and he pretty much shows how Motorstorm is supposed to be played.

Also, best wind particles ever? The whole graphics department seems like a huge improvement from Pacific Rift, and that was a great looking game!

slider

V_Ben said:
Watched 30 seconds... turned it off. I don't think I've ever wanted to not be spoiled on a racing game before :p

I did about 20 and know exactly what you mean. It looks good but then again I've liked both the MS games.

EDIT: Of course there are 3. And to think I edited my use of the word "all" to both (above). Have the PSP one but never really played it.

I don't care for the second one, but the other two actually look great. It's the first time I can say that about MotorStorm: Apocalypse, hype slowly rising.

soultron

Banned
This has guns and tanks and no more festival atmosphere and people are flipping over SSX: Deadly Descents? Haha.

The game looks as great as it usually does.

But am I the only person who cringed at the low-to-the-ground touring car driving over all of those rocks? Think of the bodywork!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I remember when almost all of the attention around MS1 was about how the 'power of the CELL!' could generate realistic mud, with the track being all cut up - heavier vehicles leaving huge ruts that would make it difficult to drive a lighter car/bike.

Now there is no mud at all. I'm sure it'll be exciting but I can't help feeling its not really motorstorm anymore

Ranger X

Cyborg said:
Motorstorm 1 is still the best one. :) And even after 5 years it looks better than this one

I share this opinion :(
There doesn't seem to have much track diversity or strategy in this new one. It interest me even less than Motorstorm 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mrklaw said:
I remember when almost all of the attention around MS1 was about how the 'power of the CELL!' could generate realistic mud, with the track being all cut up - heavier vehicles leaving huge ruts that would make it difficult to drive a lighter car/bike.

Now there is no mud at all. I'm sure it'll be exciting but I can't help feeling its not really motorstorm anymore
Different themes. Variation, just what we gamers really need.

Motorstorm was about mud and only mud. Clearly an "experiment" (not saying game's bad, I fucking LOVED the original MS).

Pacific Rift was genius, it had some mud elements but also added in fire, wind and water elemental which added great depth to the boosting mechanics.

Apocalypse takes this to the next step by taking what Pacific Rift did good and adding brilliant movie-like sequences that GREATLY enhances the gameplay quality since no lap will ever be the same (and this time it doesn't seem to be PR). Based on these videos, when a tall building collapses on the streets, you really need to adapt and take other routes. I love it and it's definitely not something we're used to seeing in racing games, let alone the Motorstorm franchise!
Ranger X said:
I share this opinion :(
There doesn't seem to have much track diversity or strategy in this new one. It interest me even less than Motorstorm 2.
Clearly you've seen nothing of the game. This one has more strategy and track diversity than previous Motorstorms by FAR. Read what I wrote above.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I think this will be the first Motorstorm game I buy. The two previous ones were ok, I liked the demos and all but this looks seem to fit my ADD and great SP needs.

(These videos should be a new thread, new news new threads right?)

Yoshichan

gcubed said:
i suck at motorstorm
I think this is the part where you say "Fuck the rubber band in this franchise".

gcubed

Yoshichan said:
I think this is the part where you say "Fuck the rubber band in this franchise".

i think the rubber band is the only thing that ever kept me competitive in the later events

Yoshichan

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The PSP MotorStorm was awesome because it had no rubber banding. Then again it was from different people - I hope Evolution take heed.
Pretty much confirmed (based on these videos) that this game will also have an insane amount of rubber band :( Oh well.

Zen

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Different themes. Variation, just what we gamers really need.

Motorstorm was about mud and only mud. Clearly an "experiment" (not saying game's bad, I fucking LOVED the original MS).

Pacific Rift was genius, it had some mud elements but also added in fire, wind and water elemental which added great depth to the boosting mechanics.

Apocalypse takes this to the next step by taking what Pacific Rift did good and adding brilliant movie-like sequences that GREATLY enhances the gameplay quality since no lap will ever be the same (and this time it doesn't seem to be PR). Based on these videos, when a tall building collapses on the streets, you really need to adapt and take other routes. I love it and it's definitely not something we're used to seeing in racing games, let alone the Motorstorm franchise!

Clearly you've seen nothing of the game. This one has more strategy and track diversity than previous Motorstorms by FAR. Read what I wrote above.

Take you at your word, but starting with MotorStorm 2 they really smoothed out the tracks and dramatically reduced the effects of terrain types and tire ruts, this isn't something that can be argued over, it happened. Maybe this entry will be more tactical than any before it, but MS1 had elements that were dramatically toned down with the sequels.

Zen said:
Take you at your word, but starting with MotorStorm 2 they really smoothed out the tracks and dramatically reduced the effects of terrain types and tire ruts, this isn't something that can be argued over, it happened.
Smooth? I'm struggling to think of any track in Pacific Rift that I could describe as smooth, or even predominantly smooth. That game is a lovely mess of angles and bumps and crags with fire and brimstone and waterfalls and dense jungle.

God I love it.

Top Bottom