• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Well this oil refinery section is just a Whole Thing isn't it? What a lame slog.

That's where you speed the game up, put on a podcast, and embrace the grind. There are several really good things to find if you explore it all...

I find big sections like that pretty relaxing, actually.

Brakke

Banned
That's where you speed the game up, put on a podcast, and embrace the grind. There are several really good things to find if you explore it all...

I find big sections like that pretty relaxing, actually.

Yeah I did put a pod on. I'm just bummed because I know I'm enroute to unlocking second classes, I'd rather grind after that. Plus there's a section on this map that's just like a 3x3 grid of rings. Gunna get dizzy running around them. 😥

Yeah I did put a pod on. I'm just bummed because I know I'm enroute to unlocking second classes, I'd rather grind after that. Plus there's a section on this map that's just like a 3x3 grid of rings. Gunna get dizzy running around them. 😥
You can just not worry about grinding the area and go on ahead. If you do hunts you'll be back around there anyway.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Tell me how bad my choices are. I wanted to use all 12:

Vaan: shikari/bushi
Basch: foebreaker/knight
Ashe: black mage/monk
Balthier: machinist/red mage
Fran: white mage/uhlan
Penelo: time mage/archer

Truly awful, no way will you beat the game with this slapdash assemblage of roles

SkylineRKR

I don't think i'm going to get the Seitengrat. Maybe post-game or something. It looks way, way too OP and the game is already easy.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I don't think i'm going to get the Seitengrat. Maybe post-game or something. It looks way, way too OP and the game is already easy.

I got one and messed around with it a little bit, even with the weakest arrows it's still doubling up Ashe with a Karkata... I de-equipped it for now and switched Fran back to the Burning Bow. Will dig this thing back out out once I'm well into post-game.

My main party is now 45-50ish and the B team is like lvl 11-15. Kinda sucks lol. I wonder if you can still do the auto-leveling exploits?

I get nervous whenever an entite is on the map, trying to look for treasure near them is high stakes.

I always liked that. Adds some tension to exploration.

Kysen

Money was extremely tight for me, could barely upgrade anything. I found a nice spot in the mines and set up my gambits and put the game into 4x speed. All I had to do was control the left stick while watching youtube. An hour later I have filled up so much of the license board and have 40k gil. More JRPGs need fast forward buttons.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welp, I had exactly 6 days to 100% the game... and today's the deadline :( I didn't make it - clocking it 100 hours and pretty much only having like 10 hours left to 100%...

But hey, deadline's a deadline. Now I won't be able to continue the game until next monday, fuck me.

Oh well; GG.

Alucrid

Banned
i dunno if i should spend time grinding for a seitengrat or continue to farm for bazaar items. some of this stuff is a real pain

tebunker

Banned
The fuck is going on with this oilplant area? it literally never ends.

nah its long but thats only if you want to cover every inch. stock to the bottom half and you can breeze through it. i ran through it twice to grind some to get to 20 the other night wasn't bad at 2x & 4x. got a ton of loot and fully stocked up in good gear for
the Tomb.

Ferr986

nah its long but thats only if you want to cover every inch. stock to the bottom half and you can breeze through it. i ran through it twice to grind some to get to 20 the other night wasn't bad at 2x & 4x. got a ton of loot and fully stocked up in good gear for
the Tomb.

I did a full loop and I'm back at the begining lol (after the guy with the chocobo selling items)

First time I played this game I spent over an hour at the oil plant, exploring every inch of it.
Then when I reached the other side, already with the save crystal in sight, I ran into some high level enemy and died lol.

iosefe

First time I played this game I spent over an hour at the oil plant, exploring every inch of it.
Then when I reached the other side, already with the save crystal in sight, I ran into some high level enemy and died lol.

sounds like you saw the miniature sun

anyway, playing this again, it really is of my favorites. this and Tactics, and FFV

SirNinja

Why aren't more people talking about how this game has the best bestiary in the ENTIRE series.

There's a lot of amazing stuff about FFXII that no one ever talks about. It's very encouraging to see people finally play it (or return to it after 11 years) and (re)discover all the incredible elements of this game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah on reflection this oil rig isn't bad, I've got a damn 40-chain going on this little sand dwarfs.

A cutscene happened, and got to see those things "up close," enough to realize that they're proto-type Gnath/Vath from XIV.

85a7ac8a7b90bc677af3d3d873c3e0c8.jpg

Other things that really show how many thing carried over to XIV that I never realized (though really, XIV has pulled alot of things from multiple FF games). Things like Clan Centurio and the hunts (Now hunts in XIV give you Centurio seals).

sounds like you saw the miniature sun

I think I just saw that one in the Westersand during a sandstorm. Wanted to attack it, but luckily had Libra on and saw it was about 30 levels higher than me.

Does anyone know if the Rabanastre music is also used in FFTA2? Because running through the city's streets gives me an urge to play that game again. Hell, maybe I will after finishing this one. Its story was a bit eh, but the game had a lot of character.

Question: what are some good future job combinations and which one should I start the characters with? I'm thus far still just Vaan running around outside the city discovering things and grinding a bit. Started Vaan as a Shikari(is there a way to get a better dagger before the party?) and I want all the 12 jobs used.

Going to read the entire thread but I'm just on page 2 thus far so...

A cutscene happened, and got to see those things "up close," enough to realize that they're proto-type Gnath/Vath from XIV.

Other things that really show how many thing carried over to XIV that I never realized (though really, XIV has pulled alot of things from multiple FF games). Things like Clan Centurio and the hunts (Now hunts in XIV give you Centurio seals).

A lot of enemies from XII seemed to make their appearance in XIV. Akihiko Yoshida was a lead artist on both projects and most of the XII team leads worked on XIV, so it makes sense.

A lot of enemies from XII seemed to make their appearance in XIV. Akihiko Yoshida was a lead artist on both projects and most of the XII team leads worked on XIV, so it makes sense.
A lot of the enemies are straight ports from Vagrant Story. The skeletons that every one likes to farm is one prominent example.

A lot of the enemies are straight ports from Vagrant Story. The skeletons that every one likes to farm is one prominent example.

Akihiko Yoshida and Hiroshi Minagawa were the two main artists on both FFXII and Vagrant Story, so of course yeah. There's supposed to be some correlation since they are supposed to be in the same universe (Ivalice) and all. I love the fact that even the sound effects carry over between Ivalice games (menu sounds, enemy grunts and screams, footsteps, equip/unequip etc), even through to certain music tracks like Ashe's introduction music in the sewers sounding like music straight out of VS.

kromeo

I think I just saw that one in the Westersand during a sandstorm. Wanted to attack it, but luckily had Libra on and saw it was about 30 levels higher than me.

Does anyone know if the Rabanastre music is also used in FFTA2? Because running through the city's streets gives me an urge to play that game again. Hell, maybe I will after finishing this one. Its story was a bit eh, but the game had a lot of character.

Not sure about that one but the giza plains music definitely is

Brakke

Banned
Question: what are some good future job combinations and which one should I start the characters with? I'm thus far still just Vaan running around outside the city discovering things and grinding a bit. Started Vaan as a Shikari(is there a way to get a better dagger before the party?) and I want all the 12 jobs used.

Going to read the entire thread but I'm just on page 2 thus far so...

There's a couple links to guides in the OP.

Ydelnae

Dang, king bomb wrecked me. He keeps calling for helping and restoring his HP!

I followed the advice I was given here and muted him. Cast haste on you so he doesn't attack all that often. I could not stop the healing with the Quickening combos, so I have to take down its health at least 3 times.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

XIV has a knack for referencing the good FF games afterall. :)

RPGCrazied

I followed the advice I was given here and muted him. Cast haste on you so he doesn't attack all that often. I could not stop the healing with the Quickening combos, so I have to take down its health at least 3 times.

Would silence work and stop him from casting magic, calling for help and restoring health?

I noticed I don't have silence though, and just found out where it is.

Akihiko Yoshida and Hiroshi Minagawa were the two main artists on both FFXII and Vagrant Story, so of course yeah. There's supposed to be some correlation since they are supposed to be in the same universe (Ivalice) and all. I love the fact that even the sound effects carry over between Ivalice games (menu sounds, enemy grunts and screams, footsteps, equip/unequip etc), even through to certain music tracks like Ashe's introduction music in the sewers sounding like music straight out of VS.
Yeah I'm aware. I'm a huge fan of Matsuno games and I played through VS for like the 4th time earlier this year so that's why I was able to pick up on it this time around. The wraiths even cast a spell with the exact same effects as in VS. it's a really cool touch.

Oh and the Dark Elementals have a bestiary entry that even references the city of Le Monde.

Ydelnae

Would silence work and stop him from casting magic, calling for help and restoring health?

No, it will still heal and call for more bombs, but making the king mute will speed the fight a lot since it just stands there without inflicting too much damage. Maybe if you take down ~60% of its heal and quickly jump into casting a Quickening combo, you'll have more luck than me in defeating it without getting it to heal for the first time.

JJShadow

Just arrived at Jahara and up to this point, I have to say that all story-related enemies and bosses have been extremely easy (my party average level is 20 or so atm) in comparison with the hunts and optional bosses. Should I expect the same till the end of the game?

RPGCrazied

No, it will still heal and call for more bombs, but making the king mute will speed the fight a lot since it just stands there without inflicting too much damage. Maybe if you take down ~60% of its heal and quickly jump into casting a Quickening combo, you'll have more luck than me in defeating it without getting it to heal for the first time.

How do I get mute? Is it a mote or spell?

MogCakes

Just arrived at Jahara and up to this point, I have to say that all story-related enemies and bosses have been extremely easy (my party average level is 20 or so atm) in comparison with the hunts and optional bosses. Should I expect the same till the end of the game?
Yes. That being said, bosses will be harder and less conventional from this point onward.

Dimmle

I remember this game absolutely wrecking me on a regular basis back in 2006. Is the game truly significantly easier or do I just have a better grasp of gambits?

Tiamant

Tip against Bomb King

Cast Immobilize on it and attack it from distance. Super easy boss fight that way.

Aeana

This actually reminded me of something.

Does the Nihopalaoa trick still work in this version?
Yes. Getting a nihopaloa that early requires some effort, though. You'll need to gather the ingredients, but you have access to every location to get them by the time you reach golmore jungle.

Top Bottom