• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolution: Play GameCube games on Wii/WiiU, now compatible with CC, WiiU CC and DS3

Platy

I am playing the Gamecube version of THPS3 on the Wii using a PS3 controller. This is madness. And awesome.

Can you test if the Wii still sees the ps3 controller as a classic controller or cube controller when the homebrew is closed ?

kdoll08

I think it's great that they have the wii u pro controller working with this. Now we just need someone to figure out a way to get it to work when we use wii mode on the wii u. No more cords

felialois20

Neo Member
I can't figure out how to make it work. How do the files look on the hard drive? and can I use a Non-gamecube controller on the menu??

I'll wait for Crediar's loader Nintendon't instead. It will support USB controllers including PS3 and won't require verification of discs.

This would be absolutely perfect if I didn't have to spend hours re-ripping my Gamecube games. And then re-verify them every time I download a new version of the software. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? You can't buy new Gamecube games anymore, and it won't prevent piracy.

Fueled by the power of catface!

catface.jpg

so is it for Roms or for real GC games?

Drago

Can anyone help with this? When I try to mount games from the USB, I get this:

"Disc ID: 00000000
Press START to exit"

I have my ISOs in a ames folder on my 16gb USB drive. Any tips? :/

rjc571

Banned
Can anyone help with this? When I try to mount games from the USB, I get this:

"Disc ID: 00000000
Press START to exit"

I have my ISOs in a ames folder on my 16gb USB drive. Any tips? :/

For some reason I get this when I press 'X' on the classic controller, but if I press '2' on the Wiimote it works and I can use the CC after that.

Neat but im just interested in something that enables the WiiU gamepad to be used in PC games. Imagine a configuration utility that let's you set shurtcuts in the touch screen. XO

Drago

Playing Mario Sunshine in widescreen is so neat :D

Now I just gotta get it running on the WiiU and I'll be set.

Gattuso

Just tried this out using usbloader gx on my wii u and gc games look pretty clean. I also like the widescreen option, too bad in some games the menus get destroyed when using that setting.

Does this mean I'll eventually be able to launch GameCube and Wii games from a single program and a single USB HDD or are we not there yet? Last time I tried with USBloader, the experience wasn't too great.

I'd really like to rip my GameCube collection once and for all and put it into storage.

Drago

One more thing

How am I supposed to use my DS3 to play games? I connected it via USB and I can use L3+R3 to exit Devolution, and I can change activity with the PS button, but I haven't figured out how to play a game with one yet. :/

Edit: got it.

So amazing :3

Gattuso

Does this mean I'll eventually be able to launch GameCube and Wii games from a single program and a single USB HDD or are we not there yet? Last time I tried with USBloader, the experience wasn't too great.

I'd really like to rip my GameCube collection once and for all and put it into storage.

I have all my GameCube and Wii games on one HDD but with 2 partitions. The first is a WBFS partition for Wii games and the second is a FAT32 partition with I think a 32KB allocation size for GameCube games and if I wanted to use the space for something else as well. You can also verify the games in USBloader gx as well.

Lakster

Neo Member
Also, would it be possible to play Mario Kart: DD online using this method?

Unfortunately, no. Devolution currently only emulates the Gamecube analog adapter which was only used for Phantasy Star Online, but hopefully someday it'll also emulate the broadband adapter...

Anyways, this was totally unexpected for me. Glad to see that its still alive - I've been hoping for Broadband adapter, as per above, and GBA connectivity emulation for a long time. Hopefully that'll still come some day...

Gleethor

Do I need to move the iso to a different folder on my SD card after I've ripped it with cleanrip? It's giving me the "disc ID 0000000" thing.

wii_HD

Neo Member
@TunaLover

Your opening post mistakenly calls the author djtuei instead of tueidj.

Again its worth mentioning there is a GameCube version of CleanRip for those capable of launching homebrew on GC - it does however take around twice as long to rip a disc than wii CleanRip.

Cbajd5

Okay, I tried it last night and it worked pretty well. Backup of Mario Kart Double Dash went well, it played well on the Wii U using the Wii U Pro Controller.

Unfortunately CleanRip doesn't work well with scratched games, so I can't play Super Mario Sunshine with it since I always get some error before it finishes. (I've got two copies, one always got "unrecovered read error" around 90% twice and the other got it at 99% with 1 second left the first time, and then "No Seek Complete" around 80% or something twice.)

AUGH

On the note of the Wii recognizing other controllers once the program's closed, I'm pretty sure it won't. It doesn't alter the system files for recognized controllers, even for Wii Remotes. (Check the readme.)

And once again, hobbyist developers working in their spare time show up the paid development teams at the Nintendo corporation. Fucking network adapter emulation for the, what, 5 games that supported it? When will Nintendo get off its ass and provide this level of value and service to its customers? I mean, we're paying them, right?

Mithos

Again its worth mentioning there is a GameCube version of CleanRip for those capable of launching homebrew on GC - it does however take around twice as long to rip a disc than wii CleanRip.

Out of curiosity, whats the ripping-time for a Gamecube-game with CleanRip?

I remember GCOM (Gcom v2.4 by Softdev) back in the days having a ripping-time of about 8min.

Wait, does this mean that with two modded Wiis I could set up 8-player Mario Kart Double Dash matches using an emulated modem? If so I'm gonna get right the fuck on that

Drago

Any instructions on how to do this on a Wii U? The readme doesnt make any sense to me :(
First things first, do you have a hacked GC-compatible Wii? If so, you need CleanRip to rip your GC games to a storage device, and Devolution to run the games (these can be found in an earlier post). You need the Devolution app on the WiiU as well.

On the Wii: Once you have the GC games ripped to storage thrpugh CleanRip (in a folder at the root called 'games'), you need to go open up Devolution, mount the USB or SD and choose the ISO. After a little bit the Wii light will blink twice; sync a second wiimote during this. After the sync put the GameCube disc in that matches the ISO, and the game should now load (and you won't have to put the GC disc in again on either the WiiU or the Wii)

Then on WiiU: put the storage device with the ISOs in the WiiU, open Devolution and select the ISO you verified on the Wii. After ~20 seconds, sync the controller that you previously synced to the verifying Wii to the WiiU, and after a while the game should load on WiiU.

Sorry if that still sounds confusing. It's a complicated process but it's worth it for DS3 support and 16:9 GC games.

impact

Banned
Damn I misunderstood, I thought you needed a Wii OR Wii U. I don't have a Wii. Was looking forward to some Skies of Arcadia and REmake too, damn.

Timeless

This would be absolutely perfect if I didn't have to spend hours re-ripping my Gamecube games. And then re-verify them every time I download a new version of the software. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea? You can't buy new Gamecube games anymore, and it won't prevent piracy.
Tueidj, the king of spite. I'm sitting here with 28 legally bought GameCube discs and wondering why each disc image must be 1.4GB when a typical GameCube game is around 50% useless padding data. Tueidj included this feature because for a long time, GameCube pirate groups wouldn't distribute the useless data. So again, out of spite, he bans any old pirate image you might find on the Internet. Side-effect: your disc images take up way too much space and you can't launch any GameCube homebrew.

linko9

Wow this is great! Maybe I can put away my Wii now and just use the Wii U.

Is there any chance that using this will draw the ire of Nintendo, leading to them brick my system or something?

ALM5252

I'm assuming I can't use a different image file of Mario Sunshine for Devolution and just have my disc be a verification thing right? I have to use my own disc file that's a 1:1 copy? Reason i'm asking is because my disc is scratched and doesn't get past 70% without an error. I can't rip mine along with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. :(

I wanna play Mario Sunshine on my Wii U. :(

Edit: If there is a way to clean my disc enough that it can rip and verify, that would be great...

Drago

I'm assuming I can't use a different image file of Mario Sunshine for Devolution and just have my disc be a verification thing right? I have to use my own disc file that's a 1:1 copy? Reason i'm asking is because my disc is scratched and doesn't get past 70% without an error. I can't rip mine along with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. :(

I wanna play Mario Sunshine on my Wii U. :(
I couldn't get my scratched Wind Waker copy to rip so I downloaded an ISO I found online and I managed to use my scratched disc to verify it. It can be done.

mugwhump

Oh snap, Wii U's Wii mode has been hacked? Nice.

Can someone recommend what to do with my Wii U? I had the CUSB loader on my Wii, should I switch to GX for wii U? It sounds like it gets more support.

How about that DIOS MIOS thing for GCN games on Wii U, what do I need for that? My Wii can't read discs anymore Devolution is a no-go unfortunately.

Cbajd5

I couldn't get my scratched Wind Waker copy to rip so I downloaded an ISO I found online and I managed to use my scratched disc to verify it. It can be done.

That's great! I'm gonna do that, Thanks! :D

I thought any downloading of ISOs is generally looked down upon here, even when you own the game. I'm not certain though. (Although I'm pretty sure any ISO would work as long as it didn't have any data trimmed from it, like a majority do as stated above.)

Oh snap, Wii U's Wii mode has been hacked? Nice.

Can someone recommend what to do with my Wii U? I had the CUSB loader on my Wii, should I switch to GX for wii U? It sounds like it gets more support.

How about that DIOS MIOS thing for GCN games on Wii U, what do I need for that? My Wii can't read discs anymore Devolution is a no-go unfortunately.

On Wii Mode hacking I don't know a lot yet, but the guide I followed to hack my system is here.

I haven't messed with Wii USB game loading yet with my Wii U yet, so I wouldn't know. I used GX on my Wii though.

I know for GameCube game loading Devolution is the only method now. DIOS MIOS is limited to GameCube compatible Wii systems as far as I know.

crediar's working on what's essentially the same with as Devolution but without the verification stuff. It's not available to the public yet though.

Top Bottom