• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 debuts at No. 1 in the UK, first time for a Mario game since 2008

Cerium

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-deluxe-is-nintendos-first-uk-no-1-since-2011

Nintendo Switch has secured its first UK No.1 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

In fact, it's the first Nintendo boxed game to get to No.1 since 2011, when the format holder topped the charts with Pokémon White on DS. It's also the first Mario game to reach the top of the charts since Mario Kart Wii in 2008.

Nintendo used the launch of its racer to ship more Switch stock to retailers, which has seen The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild return to the Top Five (at No.5) with a 68% increase in sales week-on-week.
Finally, Puyo Puyo Tetris makes No.18, with the majority of sales coming on Nintendo Switch.
dTNnk1V.png

Zedark

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/858778392673562624

Christopher Dring said:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is No.1 in the UK. First Nintendo No.1 since Pokemon White in 2011. First Mario game to top the box charts since 2008

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-deluxe-is-nintendos-first-uk-no-1-since-2011

gamesindustry.biz said:
Nintendo Switch has secured its first UK No.1 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

In fact, it's the first Nintendo boxed game to get to No.1 since 2011, when the format holder topped the charts with Pokémon White on DS. It's also the first Mario game to reach the top of the charts since Mario Kart Wii in 2008.

Nintendo used the launch of its racer to ship more Switch stock to retailers, which has seen The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild return to the Top Five (at No.5) with a 68% increase in sales week-on-week.

Elsewhere, there's a number of new releases in the Top 40, with publishers using the quiet release window to debut niche and indie games at physical retail

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 debuts at No.2, with Bandai Namco's well reviewed new IP Little Nightmares debuting at No.4.

As expected, I would say.

Can someone teach me how to embed tweet?

Edit: Wii U who? Can a mod add "Deluxe" to the title?

NolbertoS

So Gamesindustry just released an article that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the top selling game in the UK since its release. Nintendo hasn't had a No. 1 selling game in UK since 2011 when Pokemon X was released. Here's the article and good on Nintendo and Mario Kart 8 demand on the switch. Guess people love the Mario Kart on whatever platform.

Edit: Beaten like a bamboo stick. Merge mods. Thx

Theswweet

I think it's safe to say that Mario Kart is outselling Zelda. Just what sort of attach rate are we gonna have for this thing?

Salvadora

It's worth noting that Pokemon Sun/Moon would have done that if combined, but impressive nonetheless.

The significant increase in Switch stock also caused Zelda to jump to fifth place.

NolbertoS

Yeah I saw te article. Surprised nobody on GAf posted, so posted and saw 3 threads now. Great for the Mario Kart 8 series. Its gonna sell a ton on the Switch.

But Nintendo should go third party, right?

Well done Nintendo. I'm loving my Switch and I hope everyone else is as well. It's a great system and MK8 Deluxe deserves this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got the impression from GAF that the UK was probably Wii U's worst market.

We're very fussy, and very price sensitive.

And we didn't care about 8-bit consoles when we had home computers, so there's not the same loyalty here to them.

Theswweet

I said it in the other thread, but I'm guessing it's safe to assume that Mario Kart is outselling BotW? I gotta wonder what the attach rate is, considering the insanity that was BotW's 100.7%

cyba89

I got the impression from GAF that the UK was probably Wii U's worst market.

I assume there were still more WiiUs sold at the point MK8 released than Switches sold now.

But as already noted: Watch_Dogs released in the same week.

Salvadora

The UK is traditionally a very difficult market for Nintendo.
This is oft posted here, but I'm not actually sure it's the case.

Wii/DS were a cultural phenomenon like everywhere else. The Wii U bombed, again, like everywhere else. And so forth.

jonno394

I said it in the other thread, but I'm guessing it's safe to assume that Mario Kart is outselling BotW? I gotta wonder what the attach rate is, considering the insanity that was BotW's 100.7%

Maybe not in the uk. It won't take a lot to get to number 1 in the charts here considering other releases and sales atm. Zelda will likely be around 100k here, not sure if mk8d will do that week 1.
Edit - 68% increase for zelda, nice.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Wii/DS were a cultural phenomenon like everywhere else. The Wii U bombed, again, like everywhere else. And so forth.

3DS wasn't particular strong here is what they mean so it's been a whole generation really.

mazpratim

Mario Kart 8 will be the best selling Switch game this year probably

It's been like 6 years since their games cracked the #1 spot. I seem to recall other regions like France taking more to their games and hardware

Mory Dunz

Since 08?

the eff?

So many big Mario games have come out since then.

MK7
NSMB 2
NSMBWii for goodness sakes
3D World
MK8
Mario Maker
Mario Maker 3DS
3D Land

they just went up against the wrong one every time I guess
Nice for Zelda

Top Bottom