• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

If Lei, Julia/JayCee, and Armor King don't eventually make it into the game...

I'll write a sternly-worded complaint.

I just don't even understand how Lei would not even get included. He's been there since Tekken 2, and is one of the most unique and fun characters to play in the game.

cordy

Banned
Lei, Julia, Anna, they'll be FreeLC. I can understand why they didn't make the game. There's only so many slots and you gotta get in who you can while bringing in brand new characters to the fold. You also gotta leave some for DLC.

Lei, Julia, Anna, they'll be FreeLC. I can understand why they didn't make the game. There's only so many slots and you gotta get in who you can while bringing in brand new characters to the fold. You also gotta leave some for DLC.
Was this announced???

I don't really agree with that. If this is the last hurrah for the classic Tekken lineup, those characters should all be represented, new characters be damned. We've got to assume that many "heritage" characters will not return in Tekken 8, so the classics need a proper send-off.

Lei was one of my mains in Tekken 3-5. He is as much a part of the Tekken experience as Paul, Law, Yoshi, and Nina. Hell, I don't like the Changs, but so are they. I feel almost personally insulted that Lei is not in the game... I've been playing him for 20 years after all.

MrCarter

Hold on. Wasn't this something you heavily criticised SFV for in season 2? You out right complained why new characters in season 2 was a big, massive mistake and yet, here we are. "Gotta leave some for DLC" - I assume that's something Capcom will do for season 3. Talk about disingenuous.

cordy

Banned
I don't really agree with that. If this is the last hurrah for the classic Tekken lineup, those characters should all be represented, new characters be damned. We've got to assume that many "heritage" characters will not return in Tekken 8, so the classics need a proper send-off.

Lei was one of my mains in Tekken 3-5. He is as much a part of the Tekken experience as Paul, Law, Yoshi, and Nina. Hell, I don't like the Changs, but so are they. I feel almost personally insulted that Lei is not in the game... I've been playing him for 20 years after all.

Nah, they'll be in the game. Harada's stated that the paid DLC is to extend Tekken's life as a whole longer than before. Mind you with TTT2 they had to stop promoting it due to lack of funds, according to Harada with the DLC sales they can add an extra year to the game. With that said they can put in Lei, Anna, Julia and anyone else into the game like TTT2 did Ancient Ogre, Angel, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang and then later on Dr. Bosconovitch, Miharu Hirano, Sebastian, Slim Bob, Violet and Unknown.

It's either that or have all completely brand new characters as DLC like SFV S2 did which a huge backlash came from.
Hold on. Wasn't this something you heavily criticised SFV for in season 2? You out right complained why new characters in season 2 was a big, massive mistake and yet, here we are. "Gotta leave some for DLC" - I assume that's
something Capcom will do for season 3. Talk about disingenuous.

What?

You need to stop stalking my posts but even so, you need to read what I actually said. I criticized SFV S2 for having 5 brand new characters as DLC. How is having Lei, Anna, Julia/Jaycee and any other legacy characters as DLC the same thing? In case you don't know, Lei, Anna, Julia, these are legacy characters aka the Sakura, the Sagat and other classics. They're not completely brand new characters. I've said repeatedly that I wouldn't have criticized SFV S2's DLC if they didn't bring in 5 new characters and bring in legacy ones instead. When I said "there's only so many slots and you gotta bring in new characters as a fold" was talking about the base characters hence why Lei, Anna, Julia and such aren't in the game, there's not enough slots and they had to bring in new characters for the base title.

You need to actually read my posts and stop being Captain-Save-A-Game for SFV. I wasn't even talking about it, hell no one was, and here you are saying I said something I didn't say about a game no one is even mentioning.

Nah, they'll be in the game. Harada's stated that the paid DLC is to extend Tekken's life as a whole longer than before. Mind you with TTT2 they had to stop promoting it due to lack of funds, according to Harada with the DLC sales they can add an extra year to the game. With that said they can put in Lei, Anna, Julia and anyone else into the game like TTT2 did Ancient Ogre, Angel, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang and then later on Dr. Bosconovitch, Miharu Hirano, Sebastian, Slim Bob, Violet and Unknown.

And are these DLC characters going to have a full story mode and be equivalent in content to the main characters? That's what I mean by a proper send-off.

cordy

Banned
And are these DLC characters going to have a full story mode and be equivalent in content to the main characters? That's what I mean by a proper send-off.

Who really knows honestly. We know she'll have an ending like all characters but actual Story Mode chapters? They haven't mentioned anything yet but then again they've been tight-lipped about exactly what'll be in the DLC thus far. We still don't even know what that secret mode they'll include is yet.

MrCarter

What?

You need to stop stalking my posts but even so, you need to read what I actually said. I criticized SFV S2 for having 5 brand new characters as DLC. How is having Lei, Anna, Julia/Jaycee and any other legacy characters as DLC the same thing? In case you don't know, Lei, Anna, Julia, these are legacy characters aka the Sakura, the Sagat and other classics. They're not completely brand new characters. I've said repeatedly that I wouldn't have criticized SFV S2's DLC if they didn't bring in 5 new characters and bring in legacy ones instead. When I said "there's only so many slots and you gotta bring in new characters as a fold" was talking about the base characters hence why Lei, Anna, Julia and such aren't in the game, there's not enough slots and they had to bring in new characters for the base title.

You need to actually read my posts and stop being Captain-Save-A-Game for SFV. I wasn't even talking about it, hell no one was, and here you are saying I said something I didn't say about a game no one is even mentioning.

No need to be so defensive, I was just calling you out on your hypocrisy. Huge backlash? From where? Kolin and Ed have been surprisingly well received. You said previously that having a set of new characters for season 2 was "bad" and leaving out iconic characters like Sagat, Sakura and Fei long (for now) was not a good decision. Yet, when Tekken does it, you do a complete 360 and are perfectly fine with it. Even going as far as saying they will be DLC when you don't even know that as fact. I don't even care if you don't like SFV but what you said in the post above just reminded me how biased and hypocritical you are.

cordy

Banned
No need to be so defensive, I was just calling you out on your hypocrisy. Huge backlash? From where? Kolin and Ed have been surprisingly well received. You said previously that having a set of new characters for season 2 was "bad" and leaving out iconic characters like Sagat, Sakura and Fei long (for now) was not a good decision. Yet, when Tekken does it, you completely do a 360 and are perfectly fine with it. Even going as far as saying they will be DLC when you don't even know that as fact. I don't even care if you don't like SFV but what you said in the post above just reminded me how biased and hypocritical you are.

Bruh, you either can't read or something or you're refusing to admit that you screwed up when reading my post. I said

That means I think Lei, Julia and Anna will be DLC characters. I can understand why they didn't make the base game because there's only so many slots and you gotta get in who you can while bringing in new characters, because new characters take up slots for classic characters. This goes along with what we're talking about currently in the thread right now about where these characters are, we're not talking about the base game as they're not in the base game. What happens to the classic ones? They become DLC hence why I said "you also gotta leave some for DLC." I stick by my statement that it's a great idea to leave some classic characters as DLC rather than having all completely brand new characters be DLC. If you got a problem with that? Have a problem with it. This is your own fault for misreading my post and secondly, it's your own fault for being so hurt by my SFV comments said over 6 months ago enough that you'd remember it in a thread not about it and connect it to something that's completely on the other side of the coin.

The only thing you can honestly whine about is me thinking classic characters will be DLC which we don't know about yet. I'm not even going to talk about SFV's DLC backlash as this isn't a SFV thread nor am I going to talk about SFV's new characters. This is a Tekken thread. If you got a problem about the lack of SFV talk go back to the SFVOT and keep on defending that game with that cape on your back.

Regardless you completely misread my post and now you're whining me saying something I didn't even say even after I broke it down for you. I'm not even going to get into an argument about that anymore because it isn't my fault that you misread my post. If you want to keep trying to stalk my posts, whine about my comments and defend SFV in a thread that's not even about SFV, keep on doing that. I don't got time for your Captain Save-A-Game crap.

SarusGray

The chang's have been in tekken since tekken 1. Can't believe Harada hasn't included them. Relearning a new character isn't going to be the same. Love the chang's poetic story and fighting styles.

MrCarter

Bruh, you either can't read or something or you're refusing to admit that you screwed up when reading my post. I said

That means I think Lei, Julia and Anna will be DLC characters. I can understand why they didn't make the base game because there's only so many slots and you gotta get in who you can while bringing in new characters, because new characters take up slots for classic characters. This goes along with what we're talking about currently in the thread right now about where these characters are, we're not talking about the base game as they're not in the base game. What happens to the classic ones? They become DLC hence why I said "you also gotta leave some for DLC." I stick by my statement that it's a great idea to leave some classic characters as DLC rather than having all completely brand new characters be DLC. If you got a problem with that? Have a problem with it. This is your own fault for misreading my post and secondly, it's your own fault for being so hurt by my SFV comments said over 6 months ago enough that you'd remember it in a thread not about it and connect it to something that's completely on the other side of the coin.

The only thing you can honestly whine about is me thinking classic characters will be DLC which we don't know about yet. I'm not even going to talk about SFV's DLC backlash as this isn't a SFV thread nor am I going to talk about SFV's new characters. This is a Tekken thread. If you got a problem about the lack of SFV talk go back to the SFVOT and keep on defending that game with that cape on your back.

Regardless you completely misread my post and now you're whining me saying something I didn't even say even after I broke it down for you. I'm not even going to get into an argument about that anymore because it isn't my fault that you misread my post. If you want to keep trying to stalk my posts, whine about my comments and defend SFV in a thread that's not even about SFV, keep on doing that. I don't got time for your Captain Save-A-Game crap.

Okay, I "misread" it. Also, you do realise you are just proving my point again by quoting yourself lol. It's clear you are biased and hypocritical and now you are ignorant as well. Mate, like I said, I don't actually care if you don't like SFV, I'm sure it will still survive, but I was just pointing out the blatant 360 you did when it came to a game of your choice that is doing something similar - leaving out "classic" characters and possibly making them DLC. That's all.

Doomshine

l9Pkf1w.gif

Endo Punk

Really curious to see where they take the franchise next. It's a part of childhood which I left in my childhood but may see myself play another Tekken if they go back to the basics; smaller roster, tighter mechanics and refinements all round, no more Mishima bs. Good memories playing T3, TTT, T4 and T5. Favourite would probably be Tekken 4 followed very closely by 3.

Really curious to see where they take the franchise next. It's a part of childhood which I left in my childhood but may see myself play another Tekken if they go back to the basics; smaller roster, tighter mechanics and refinements all round, no more Mishima bs. Good memories playing T3, TTT, T4 and T5. Favourite would probably be Tekken 4 followed very closely by 3.
are you gonna get it? i think i saw you in the kiryu thread saying even he won't get you back into it

Endo Punk

are you gonna get it? i think i saw you in the kiryu thread saying even he won't get you back into it

I like Tekken but T7 looks more of the same. I played 5 Tekken games and got my fill, like I said it's going to take a major shake up to get me to play another Tekken. I'd like this to succeed so we do get that game and hopefully it's with Tekken 8 tbh.

Onemic

Okay, I "misread" it. Also, you do realise you are just proving my point again by quoting yourself lol. It's clear you are biased and hypocritical and now you are ignorant as well. Mate, like I said, I don't actually care if you don't like SFV, I'm sure it will still survive, but I was just pointing out the blatant 360 you did when it came to a game of your choice that is doing something similar - leaving out "classic" characters and possibly making them DLC. That's all.

I think you are misreading what he said tbh.

From what Ive been reading, he doesnt have a problem with classic characters sold as DLC which is why he isnt saying it's a bad thing if Tekken does this. Compare this to his SFV comment where he thinks an entire seasons worth of only new (not classic) DLC characters isnt a good move.

It would be hypocritical if he said that Bamco should release a DLC pack of brand new characters instead.

I like Tekken but T7 looks more of the same. I played 5 Tekken games and got my fill, like I said it's going to take a major shake up to get me to play another Tekken. I'd like this to succeed so we do get that game and hopefully it's with Tekken 8 tbh.
i can't argue about it in respect to being a pure fighting game, but looking at it from a zoomed out perspective as a AAA game, tekken 7 is WAY more than just the same.

the story mode alone is unlike anything tekken has done before, probably leagues beyond scenario campaign in tekken 6

cordy

Banned

Hmm, more of the same visually or gameplay-wise? What Tekken do you like the most? Like, what Tekken most suits your playstyle?

Pachimari

It's either that or have all completely brand new characters as DLC like SFV S2 did which a huge backlash came from.
They were able to release those bonus characters in Tag 2 because they were already made before release and on disc when the game shipped. When you say paid DLC , I assume you talk about the Season Pass? Because characters won't be released as paid DLC outside the season pass.

sasuke_91

They were able to release those bonus characters in Tag 2 because they were already made before release and on disc when the game shipped. When you say paid DLC , I assume you talk about the Season Pass? Because characters won't be released as paid DLC outside the season pass.
If characters outside of the Season Pass are being added they will be free. Harada himself stated that classic characters won't be paid DLC.

cordy

Banned

Nah, Ancient Ogre, Angel, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang were preorders and they were made before the game's release. Dr. Bosconovitch, Miharu Hirano, Sebastian, Slim Bob, Violet and Unknown however were found on disk along with some new stages when advanced players got their copies. They later came to the game as free updates. When I said "paid DLC" I'm referring to the season pass. Nowhere did Harada or anyone say those were the only characters that will be released. Actually Harada said because of paid DLC they're able to extend the game's lifespan beyond TTT2's and they won't be charging for classic characters once they hit the game.
In the past, we had to stop all updates and support within 2months after launch(Because no development Budget).
With Season Pass, we can guarantee one year of Additional Development Cost and development Team (Retention of development team structure) from our Company/Publisher.
Also, we do not sell classic Tekken characters, Paid DLC will be special content. With this system, we can do free updates and support for a long time.
This is what I've been saying in an interview article (I have talked about it in several interviews before, so please read it).

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spif4h
If characters outside of the Season Pass are being added they will be free. Harada himself stated that classic characters won't be paid DLC.

This.

We'll be getting more characters down the line. Just a matter of who they'll be.

Monocle

TTT2's tag combos are amazing and the soundtrack is easily one of the series' best. Oh, and you can do 1v1 battles if you want.

Just play TTT2.

Pachimari

Nah, Ancient Ogre, Angel, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang were preorders and they were made before the game's release. Dr. Bosconovitch, Miharu Hirano, Sebastian, Slim Bob, Violet and Unknown however were found on disk along with some new stages when advanced players got their copies. They later came to the game as free updates. When I said "paid DLC" I'm referring to the season pass. Nowhere did Harada or anyone say those were the only characters that will be released. Actually Harada said because of paid DLC they're able to extend the game's lifespan beyond TTT2's and they won't be charging for classic characters once they hit the game.

This.

We'll be getting more characters down the line. Just a matter of who they'll be.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. That we could be getting classic characters as free DLC down the line.

Just that all DLC characters for Tag 2 was on disc, and thus the post-content support for Tag 2 was piss poor.

cordy

Banned
Oh yeah, that's what I meant. That we could be getting classic characters as free DLC down the line.

Just that all DLC characters for Tag 2 was on disc, and thus the post-content support for Tag 2 was piss poor.

Oh yeah definitely, I rarely played any of those classics. They were ok but nah just not for me.

Pachimari

I loved those classic characters they released as DLC for Tag 2, but Project Tekken basically didn't develop anything for Tag 2 after release since they had it all ready before the game shipped.

Since this is gonna be my first proper Tekken, I have to ask.

What are the chances of Zafina making it into the game too? Been looking at a lot of footage from TTT2 and T6 and Zafina is really sticking out to me as a character I'd like and so I hope she makes it in :(

Pachimari

What are the chances of Zafina making it into the game too? Been looking at a lot of footage from TTT2 and T6 and Zafina is really sticking out to me as a character I'd like and so I hope she makes it in :(
Like 1%.

TEKKEN-GAF, please help, you're my only hope :)

Basically haven't really played ANY Tekken since 3 waaaay back in the day. With 7 around the corner tho and my undying love for the FGC (I've strictly played 2-D fighters up to this point) in general, I want to FINALLY jump back in

Any recommended Tekken101 or tutorial vids?

thanks!

At this point,

The cast we got right now, is the cast we'll have until the Guest characters come out.

TEKKEN-GAF, please help, you're my only hope :)

Basically haven't really played ANY Tekken since 3 waaaay back in the day. With 7 around the corner tho and my undying love for the FGC (I've strictly played 2-D fighters up to this point) in general, I want to FINALLY jump back in

Any recommended Tekken101 or tutorial vids?

thanks!
The 1st Post of the Tekken GAF OT has all you need and people there to guide your way. We also have a discord group as well.

Last Tekken or even fighting game in general I really really got into was Tekken 3 and some Tag Tournament. Don't know why but this game is making me very excited and I'm going to jump back in. I really didn't like what they did to the series beginning with 4. The look and feel of the game really changed. This looks great though. I guess enough time has passed that I don't care anymore

DR2K

Banned
I really hope there are some surprises, roster wise for a Tekken 7. Like hidden unlockables. The roster looks very uneven in the selection screen

BrunOz

damn I'm so hyped about this game that I just picked up Tekken Hybrid for the PS3 (already got DR, TTT2 and T6), I miss TTT1 so much, gotta get my fix on that and day one purchase for Tekken 7 <3

It's even more awesome to know that we can get more Tekken characters for free during this game lifetime and I really don't care about guest characters, except if they include some Yakuza characters like Kiryu or Majima.

HeelPower

Tekken 7 introduced SO MANY things though.

Supers,slow mo,characters with projectiles and meter systems,new story mode,completely new graphics engine.

T7 is certainly not more of the same,especially coming off of TT2.

I really hope there are some surprises, roster wise for a Tekken 7. Like hidden unlockables. The roster looks very uneven in the selection screen

Other than Eliza you have two very obvious spots.

Also getting up has been changed immensely as well when we talk about T7 changes. T7 has a lot of quality of life changes in its subsystems. More so than usual in most Tekken games.

HeelPower

Zafina has an amazing move set and character design.

Quite a shame if she doesnt make it.

Pachimari

So I guess no more surprises for the playable cast that comes with the base game? As in, what we have now is final?

What we have now is probably final.

There'll be 2 guest characters as part of the Season Pass post-launch, and who knows if we'll get free DLC characters after release too.

NEO0MJ

What we have now is probably final.

There'll be 2 guest characters as part of the Season Pass post-launch, and who knows if we'll get free DLC characters after release too.

I see. While I wasn't expecting Ogre and Jinpachi to come back from TTT2, I'm disappointed by the lack of Jaycee/Julia and Armor King.

Top Bottom