• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Which Snake gets eaten by a flaming whale?

Hint: It could be an insanity effect (all in his head).

In the trailer we can see a guy floating around. I bet he is like Psycho Mantis, he's just fucking with Snakes mind.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Posted in the main thread (credit to Sn4ke_911).

666666666l1dlc.png

9d5f75d51cb5a83be7526721eda5a5c7

Volgin.

Welp.

Are you still banging the "it's not Kojima/Metal Gear" drum? Keep up the good fight.

No, I'm not. I was skeptical for the first few minutes after the trailer because it made no sense in the MGS chronology at first glance outside of vague thematics and "that man has a beard". Nice job making shit up about me, though.

Recently Kojima Productions/Platinum revealed that Volgin was in the original version of Metal Gear Rising.

So yeah, the chance of these idiots actually reviving Volgin is high. Sigh.

It's probably just The Fear and Psycho Mantis making Naked Snake hallucinate for 15 hours.

Jarmel

Banned
Why not? Big Boss has seen some shit, he's having fever dreams after waking up from the coma which explain the flying whale and whatever.

If any, for a MGS game it all makes perfect sense.

Again unless this is just some part of the game or a prologue, this would seemingly go against Ground Zeroes open-world philosophy. Also GZ is being designed for this gen unless they moved it to next-gen.

If it's an insanity effect then the game can't be open-world. I mean unless this is some sort of prologue, the bits we saw look very scripted and cinematic.

Huh? Why not? There could just be a part where you get thrown into this weird, bizarre story sequence, a la Scarecrow segments in the Batman games.

Omikaru

It's obviously not a game in its own right, it's just a metaphor. Don't take it so literally. It'll obviously be in the game in some form, but I don't think people should be looking at this as a product on its own, or as some sort of vivid imagining of an event in the game. It's obviously lucid.

You could draw so many parallels between Big Boss's later life (as a leader) and Ahab from Moby Dick. It's so obvious that's where this is going.

Dude if this is an Mgs game I called it the second I saw them sneaking around. Only Kojima would pull this conspiracy crap.

It'd be hilarious if we're all wrong, though.

Revan

Could it be that Ground Zereos (plural) is actually 2 games? One featuring the past MGS (BB era) and one in the SS era (Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2 remakes)

Also - another theory I have - could this be Big Boss mind while he is the coma during Les Enfants Terrible and cloning process? Hence the "Ogre" - kinda like a creative license to do some of the most outlandish fucked up shit that Kojima wouldn't put in a standard game?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@MikeMcWhertor 7:12 PM
Joakim Mogren. Mogren is a football club in Montenegro. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance opens in Montenegro.

damn

TOO MANY COINCIDENCES!

Phantom Pain as title...."From FOX, two phantoms were born" caption in the reveal Ground Zeroes Poster.

Moby Dick studios? and there just happens to be a whale swallowing someone in the trailer?

Kojimaaaa!!! *bow*

Jarmel

Banned
Huh? Why not? There could just be a part where you get thrown into this weird, bizarre story sequence, a la Scarecrow segments in the Batman games.

Those are very clearly hallucinatory bits in AA, in that Batman knows. In the trailer, the guy questions whether this is real or not. So in that regards it can't be Naked Snake unless Kojima randomly puts these bits in such as a flashforward, as the character is suffering from amnesia. In short, this would have to be a completely different part of the game that is somehow loosely tied with Naked Snake and the open-world component.

mmhmm..

If the characters are real, this would be set before mgs 3. Or a dream.. or I don't know.

It can't be real, it has to be a hallucination. If it's Big Boss, then he's aging and it must be in the mid-1970s or later (and he never lost an arm unless they suddenly decided to make up that tidbit for no reason). Volgin died in 1964. Psycho Mantis was born around 1970, so it can't be him unless they retcon him to be like 20 years older.

destrudo

As has already been pointed out, there's lots of references to past games involving Big Boss in the trailer, which makes the title pretty self explanatory. I don't think this is it's own game though, more like a dream sequence of Snake reliving the past. Either way, gotta love the obvious metaphor of the White Whale = Metal Gear and Snake = Ahab.

Those are very clearly hallucinatory bits in AA, in that Batman knows. In the trailer, the guy questions whether this is real or not. So in that regards it can't be Solid Snake unless Kojima randomly puts these bits in such as a flashforward, as the character is suffering from amnesia. In short, this would have to be a completely different part of the game that is somehow loosely tied with Solid Snake and the open-world component.

Dude, this is a guy that just created a fake studio, fake CEO, fake game... just to fuck with us.

Don't put serious thought into figuring out what part of the game this is. He also edited trailers to hide Raiden. Never forget.

WHAT THE HELL.

This is so dumb it has to be real.

If it is MGS I hope it isnt another Big Boss game.

No more prequels. Just make a new story arch already.

Peace walker was pushing it and Ground Zeros seems like a step too far when we already know everything that needs to be told in that story.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing it was Kojima automatically makes the trailer awesome.

Andrefpvs

Hot damn, whatever this turns out to be, this is some masterful planning from the trailer makers.

Or we're all just delusional. Very delusional.

It can't be real, it has to be a hallucination. If it's Big Boss, then he's aging and it must be in the mid-1970s or later (and he never lost an arm unless they suddenly decided to make up that tidbit for no reason). Volgin died in 1964. Psycho Mantis was born around 1970, so it can't be him unless they retcon him to be like 20 years older.

Wasn't it the Sorrow in his coat? I'm pretty sure they were all from MGS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom