• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh0k

I have played so far over 100 hours, 54 shrines and done with two divine beasts. Without spoiling much can somebody please let me know if
there is more than one fairy location, so far the only one I found is the one at top of Kakariko village.

Crayolan

I have played so far over 100 hours, 54 shrines and done with two divine beasts. Without spoiling much can somebody please let me know if
there is more than one fairy location, so far the only one I found is the one at top of Kakariko village.

yes

jariw

Entered the Zora's Domain without using the road at all. Climbed over the rainy mountains and hang-glided into the city. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a challenge that goes outside enemy kills.

Deku Tree

Does anyone have the action replay Amiibo thing working on a Mac OSX? Or does it just work on PC? I want to hear from someone who may be actually using it on OSX ?

Steejee

Entered the Zora's Domain without using the road at all. Climbed over the rainy mountains and hang-glided into the city. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a challenge that goes outside enemy kills.

I think about half my trip up to Zora's Domain was offroad. I have a tendency to always find the hardest way up to a place.

I'm at 40-45 hours now, just got Master Sword, still only one Divine Beast down. It's amazing to me that even after that many hours I can go back to a place I've already been through, explore it some more, and find something new and interesting.

Solved my first divine beast (Vah Ruta). I'm kinda dragging my feet cuz I don't want this game to end, lol. Already hoping the DLC delivers because I know I'll be hungry for more.

correojon

I'm about 30 hours in and havent encountered a memory yet, is it because I havent spoken to Impa yet?
How would you know about memories if you haven´t spoken to Impa? Try to avoid looking anything up and play the game, there are so many amazing moments you´ll ruin for yourself if you know about them beforehand...

SM239

Just beat the game last night. 160 hours, all shrines, 515 Koroks, all memories, 100% Hyrule Compendium, and all gear maxed out. My last shrine was driving me crazy trying to locate it. Luckily one of the side quests I was doing to take a break from searching for that last shrine actually helped me locate the final shrine. Going through this game blind without a guide really is the best way to experience it. Though I am really tempted to use a guide for the remaining Korok seeds because holy shit lol

Shame that Ganon is such a pushover. Silver lynels with clubs hit harder than him.

Rixxan

Just beat the game last night. 160 hours, all shrines, 515 Koroks, all memories, 100% Hyrule Compendium, and all gear maxed out. My last shrine was driving me crazy trying to locate it. Luckily one of the side quests I was doing to take a break from searching for that last shrine actually helped me locate the final shrine. Going through this game blind without a guide really is the best way to experience it. Though I am really tempted to use a guide for the remaining Korok seeds because holy shit lol

Shame that Ganon is such a pushover. Silver lynels with clubs hit harder than him.

Damn son, thorough playthrough

I'm guessing with that amount of time committed in a two week period - it's one of your favorite games ever?

Jesus, this game. I don't think I've touched my WiiU since Mario Kart 8 came out, and now I'm finding myself having to make sure I don't lose track of time because I'm constantly going for one more shrine, cook a few more things, climb one more tower, just see what's over that hill before shutting down. This is Skyrim-level time wasting all over again (in a good way).

The only nitpick so far are the button layout. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to get it down. I'll start feeling like I've got it, and then I'll be in a fight and wind up throwing weapons when I meant to use a bow, pulling out bombs when I meant to lock on, and generally being a complete klutz. Maybe I need to get a pro controller instead?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I just beat the game again with all memories. Well that wasn't worth it. Also I thought you were supposed to get a completion percentage after you best the game? I haven't had anything like that.

Also this time I actually went through hyrule castle instead of cheesing it and swimming/climbing over anything. Wasn't bad. On the
second Lynel I broke my master sword at the end of the fight. I was thinking oooooooo nice maybe Ganon will be harder without the master sword. Then I got to ganon and the master sword was magically restored. Sigh.

I'm about to start this epic adventure, are there some things i should know or do to make things easier or better for myself?

Mind u, i hardly know or seen anything about this game

SM239

Damn son, thorough playthrough

I'm guessing with that amount of time committed in a two week period - it's one of your favorite games ever?

I would say that it's one of my favorite games easily. I absolutely loved it. I did all this extra stuff (compendium, extra Koroks, maxed out gear, etc.) because this was one of the few games where I really didn't want it to end. Really hope the DLC delivers because I need more. lol

KevinG

Explored the castle yesterday to finish the memories and just mess around, went right to the room
where I assume a cutscene would trigger to fight Ganon,
but I didn't go far enough in.

Still have
Gerudo
to tackle, and less than half of the shrines done. At almost 50 hours logged.

Formless

I'm about to start this epic adventure, are there some things i should know or do to make things easier or better for myself?

Mind u, i hardly know or seen anything about this game

There's a quest log in the start menu, but its trackers don't often show where the objective is

You can literally throw weapons away if they're damaged/if you don't want them

Use campfires to pass time if you want to get through some bad weather

When riding a horse you don't need to hold forward on the control stick to go forward. You can also ZL strafe with a horse.

de_reddy

Neo Member
After being in doubt for twee weeks I tried the amiibo rune yesterday. For context: I have all amiibo, all amiibo cards and around 100 duplicates. Scanning them all in once (which you can do every day) gave me more of the (common) resources than I think I'll ever need. If I'd start cooking ingredients I think I would have more cash than needed to buy all armour sets (a few times). I think I'm just going to load an old save again because it just feels wrong in this game.

There's a quest log in the start menu, but its trackers don't often show where the objective is

You can literally throw weapons away if they're damaged/if you don't want them

Use campfires to pass time if you want to get through some bad weather

When riding a horse you don't need to hold forward on the control stick to go forward. You can also ZL strafe with a horse.

Interesting, thx.

Any tips on where to go first or just follow the story?

Spinifex

Explored the castle yesterday to finish the memories and just mess around, went right to the room
where I assume a cutscene would trigger to fight Ganon,
but I didn't go far enough in.

Still have
Gerudo
to tackle, and less than half of the shrines done. At almost 50 hours logged.

The Gerudo and the desert was my favourite area in the game. I'm doing a 3 heart playthrough now and am still finding new stuff everywhere.

I never replay games. I usually get sick of them before I even finish them.

_Rob_

I just realized something that the new Zelda game is missing. An instrument to play. I don't really miss it though.

I have a hunch we may get something musical as part of the DLC, especially if they do something
set before Hyrule's downfall

Stopdoor

Does anyone know where I should go with the
Classified Envelope
? You get it by finishing the
Hyrule Compendium

I feel like it's just a token of achievement like Monster Medals and the 900 Korok Reward. Kind of lame because it implies a cooler "secret" it won't actually show you.

So I'm missing all of the mid-tier Lynel weapons from my Compendium. Obviously I can just buy the pictures, but I'd rather take them myself (and also at least get the items once, since some of them I haven't). Problem being, pretty much every Lynel I run into now is silver.

Am I screwed out of running into Red/Blue/White Lynels? Is there any place they consistently spawn? Will they never spawn anymore, or is it just more rare? Thanks if anyone has any info!

I had this problem too. Red Lynels still seemed to spawn at the original Zora Domain spot, at least for the purposes of the Lynels Safari sidequest. Can't find any Blue ones anymore though, I gave up and bought the rest.

Climbing is great, but I find it's way easier to climb and sailcloth and skip interesting "designed" encounters and locations along paths so it can be good to kind of force yourself to stay grounded sometimes.

Neoxon

So I got the Wind Waker shield, forgot to save it, spent 15 minutes getting it back, then I was on a hot streak of Amiibo drops. I got...
  • OoT tunic & pants (already had hat)
  • WW tunic & pants (already had hat)
  • OG sword & tunic (already had hat)
...in the span of 5 minutes. It took another 5 minutes to get the OG pants

Mr-Joker

Banned
If anyone want to farm Star Fragment but don't have the Breath of the Wild Zelda amiibo or the Smash Zelda amiibo, Ganondorf amiibo will also drop them.

So I got the Wind Waker shield, forgot to save it, spent 15 minutes getting it back, then I was on a hot streak of Amiibo drops. I got...
  • OoT tunic & pants (already had hat)
  • WW tunic & pants (already had hat)
  • OG sword & tunic (already had hat)
...in the span of 5 minutes. It took another 5 minutes to get the OG pants

I feel ya, I spent a while with the Ganondorf amiibo just trying to get the Topaz.

Justinian

Reason I ask is because I've heard people saying they found stuff they wish they'd found sooner.

Discovering things on your own is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game. Everyone will find and learn things at different times - that's the beauty of the game. Reading guides destroys the fun.

I'm doing a second playthrough and really trying to pay attention to everything around the world this time.

Where as at the time, I only had two Korok seeds by the time I reached Kakariko Village. This time I have 19 and I'm still in Hyrule Field and haven't reached the Dueling Peaks Tower. I just realised, and this is after 80 something hours of game time that included finding every shrine, that if the area you're in has a distinct name, there's probably Korok here somewhere. I figured it a lot more random than that.

Also found about the warm doublet you can get at the great plateau, whereas prior to that I wasn't even aware there was cabin near the Bomb trial and I just ran through the colder area with some spicy food. Made that section considerably easier knowing I wasn't on a timer.

Also, where as I wasn't willing to go near Hyrule Castle or the Central Tower early on till I had an ancient arrow for the walking Guardian, this time I just ran straight for it and parry'd them all, getting that map point to be my first tower instead of Dueling Peaks. Also the shrines nearby have exceedingly powerful weapons that are way too strong for the enemies you're fighting currently.

It's been fun still being surprised, even knowing what I'm up against

Mr-Joker

Banned
Discovering things on your own is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game. Everyone will find and learn things at different times - that's the beauty of the game. Reading guides destroys the fun.

Hmm not really I have been using a guide and I have been having fun with the game nor has the guide gotten in the way of me exploring.

Hmm not really I have been using a guide and I have been having fun with the game nor has the guide gotten in the way of me exploring.

I just checked on thing online
the shrine with the magnetic bowl on the bottom of the pool. I used cryosis, statis and bombs to get the first ball where it should go and just couldnt figure out the second one...

Other than that I havent really checked anything online.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still having a decent time exploring after beating the game. Mostly just going to sections of the map (had it all revealed from towers) where there aren't any shrines etc. marked yet as an indicator that I didn't go there yet. Did a couple of labyrinths, several more shrines, found Eventide Island but noped out of it as I was too tired for it at the time, a horse obstacle course that I also noped out of, etc. I'm up to 50 some shrines, play activity counter at 60 or more hours.

I'll keep exploring but defintely won't find anywhere near all 120 shrines as I'm just getting bored with it at this point. Just want to keep checking out the open areas of the map and see if I missed anything cool, maybe then look up some guides to see if there's anything I missed I'd like to do etc. Otherwise I'm not a completionist and getting the memories, beating the four dungeons and beating the game with the full ending were my main goals so I've more than gotten my fill/money's worth and have other games to play.

Leatherface

Damn. What in the holy hell is up with the framerate in Korok Forest?! This has to be the worst spot in the game so far. Have to admit, it bums me out a bit. I absolutely love the aesthetics in this area but that framerate gets to me. :'(

Chiramii

I feel like it's just a token of achievement like Monster Medals and the 900 Korok Reward. Kind of lame because it implies a cooler "secret" it won't actually show you.
Man that would really suck, I didn't think of that until you said it. The game has been too incredible for it to be just a key item with nothing more to it. :(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. What in the holy hell is up with the framerate in Korok Forest?! This has to be the worst spot in the game so far. Have to admit, it bums me out a bit. I absolutely love the aesthetics in this area but that framerate gets to me. :'(

Yeah it was awful there playing docked. Shame as it was a great looking area art wise, but total slideshow. Definitely the worst spot in the game framerate wise for me.

HeroR

Just finished my first dungeon, Va Ruta..........

You guys are my Zelda fam but those of you calling these the worst Zelda dungeons.... ya brain broke homies. I know there are a lot of different dungeon flavors to choose from and BotW's may not be to your particular liking so I'm interesting in hearing the particulars of the critique.

I'll through my hat into the ring. That was one of the cleanest dungeons in Zelda history. Easy. Complexity wise, easily more in depth than "before the word twist" starting Zelda dungeons.

Know this comment is old, but I felt compelled to answer.

Overall, I am mixed about the dungeons. There are cleverly made and are a very different take on the dungeon system, especially the map. Overall, they're some of the most creative dungeons in the series (the ones I did, I only did two so far). I also like how they fit narratively within the story.

However, they're too short in my opinion. They feel like glorified shines in a way. Which would be fine if the dungeons isn't a big deal to those who like Zelda. To me, this hurts the experience since I love the 3D dungeons and no other game comes close to giving me the experience, especially Twilight Prince and Skyward Sword which have some of the best dungeons in the series.
You can't even revisited these dungeons once you beat them

Overall, I like the puzzle aspect of the dungeons and I would love if they expand it. But, they come off on the lackluster side for me.

Branduil

I love going back to old places and finding stuff you never knew was there. I went back to Mount Hylia to farm some ice keese wings, and found a hidden stash of items
behind the waterfall.
Also had some crazy encounters with bokoblins. In the first, I saw two red and one silver bokoblin below me, and I tried to sneak up behind an explosive barrel, stasis it, and hit it into them. Unfortunately they spotted me, so I jumped off the cliff, and started slowly heading back up. I soon heard a bokoblin scream in pain, followed by an explosion, and when I got to the top I saw a single silver bokoblin, and a flaming club lying on the ground. What I pieced together afterwards was that one bokoblin grabbed a club, set it on fire, and then accidentally burned another one, who ran on fire into the explosive. Later, I paraglided above a camp of 3 bokoblins, dropped a bomb on them, and when I set it off it killed 2, one of which flew into a wooden box, sending that wooden box flying into the third bokoblin, killing him instantly.

Kaiken

Banned
Man, this game has me by the balls. I first started out just focusing on Side Quests and Shrines, then got caught in the Divine Beasts and slayed three of them real quick. I feel like I should save the last one for a while and go back to focusing on Side Quests again. Just so much to do. So many tales and lore, I just can't fit them all in my brain.

Leatherface

Yeah it was awful there playing docked. Shame as it was a great looking area art wise, but total slideshow. Definitely the worst spot in the game framerate wise for me.

Oh good. Hopefully it doesn't get this painful anywhere else. I haven't seen a framerate this bad in a long time. Thankfully this is the exception and not the rule so far. Good thing this game is totally awesome regardless because I wouldn't cut many games slack for this at all. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom