• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Maria - Puerto Rico without power and cleanup underway

Agkel

That would be very impressive and very helpful. Some of the pictures and numbers raise concerns. The assistance from the mainland can't get there soon enough.

I assume he meant emergency relief/internal communication, not cellphone service. As it stands there are areas on the island that are not accessible via regular transportation therefore no information/communication has been received.

Vestal

Gold Member
they are going to open the Dam doors of the Toa Vaca lake in Ponce.. They are doing a run through to make sure that there are no people are in the vicinity. They expect the PR-2 among other roads will be completely flooded once the doors are opened.

FYI for those spanish speakers, Notiuno.com is working and you can listen in on the local broadcast.

Miggytronz

USNS supply is leaving craney island here in Virginia at 8pm tonight with 600 pallets of provisions and supply's for PR and the USVI cruise ships should arrive in 3 days.

Vestal

Gold Member
If anyone in Tampa bay wants to help the following are some collection centers and what they are taking.. If you want to help and can't take it yourself let me know here and I will go get it and drive it over tomorrow when I take the stuff I am collecting.

Collections for Puerto Rico

Location: Homeland Intelligence Technologies, 4916 S Lois Ave., Tampa

Items: Batteries, baby wipes, flashlights, lanterns, first aid supplies, water, over-the counter medications, bedding, towels, non-perishable food items, tarps, generators, lumber, tools.

Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily until further notice

• • •

Items: Non-perishable food items, first aid supplies and over-the-counter medications, diapers, baby formula, water, pet food, toilet paper.

Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. May arrange for special pickup in some cases.

• • •

Location: 5107 N. Central Ave., Tampa (adjacent to St. Paul Lutheran Church; look for disaster relief signs)

Times: Every day 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Items: Water, non-perishable food, bug spray, toiletries, diapers, toothbrushes, towels, socks, candles, sunscreen, first aid supplies, blankets, baby food.

Details come from: http://www.tampabay.com/news/weathe...y-puerto-ricans-ramp-up-relief-effort/2338360

WillyFive

Chuckled at the first thing mentioned on Wapa from their first update from Ponce.

"There's a lot of traffic!!!"

Yep, it's Ponce.

Agkel

Chuckled at the first thing mentioned on Wapa from their first update from Ponce.

"There's a lot of traffic!!!"

Yep, it's Ponce.

lel

They are reporting on NotiUno that Att and Claro started getting service/cell towers up. Hopefully we can start getting more reports from fam and friends.

70k citizens in Isabella and quebradilla evacuated in hundreds of buses due to imminent dam structural failure.

The park in Comerio.

21764977_10155928765594728_6139964169469464757_n.jpg

And my grandparent's home with my Uncle's car tossed over the fence.
21730834_10209887812059695_6844671561903789481_n.jpg

Mindlog

Guajataca video.
That's a lot of people in a short span of time on some winding possibly obstructed roads. Hoping they got everybody. The river basin itself looks to be less densely populated. The current flow looks to be eating at the rest of the dam.

Guajataca video.
That's a lot of people in a short span of time on some winding possibly obstructed roads. Hoping they got everybody. The river basin itself looks to be less densely populated. The current flow looks to be eating at the rest of the dam.

Dam doesn't look fully breached in this video, just the spillway eroding rapidly. Not sure when this was shot related to the alert either. Possibly the first section might have the spillway gates collapsing, as that seems to be well under the height of the rest of the dam. that could be the failure.

Also this video shows the wind strength on the NW side of PR; most of the trees have lost all foliage.

I can’t even imagine the effect this is going to have on the local economy.I mean, how do you move forward with the entire infrastructure of the country being rebuilt from scratch? that is insane

Vestal

Gold Member
"Toque de queda" aka Curfew has been extended indefinitely in Puerto Rico. Changed from 6pm-6am to 7pm-5am.

Miggytronz

Saw this about Sabana Grande on FB.

“A todos nuestros familiares y amigos de USA o que tengan señal en Puerto Rico queremos informarle que acá en Sabana Grande estamos todos bien. Muchas personas lo perdieron todo, pocos árboles y postes del tendido eléctrico quedaron de pie. Juntos nos levantaremos y construiremos un nuevo país. ¡Fuerza Puerto Rico! 🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷“

Translation:

“To all our family and friends of USA or have a signal Puerto Rico we want to inform you that here in Savannah Grande we are all good. Many people lost everything, few trees and electricity poles were standing. Together we will rise and build a new country. Strength Puerto Rico! 🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷”

Mindlog

I've been trying my hardest to understand the Guajataca situation. Nothing about the reports makes sense, but most especially the 70k number being thrown around. The geography doesn't really support evacuating central Isabella which is where most of those people are unless I am misunderstanding the situation. The 70k number is just the populations of Isabella and Quebradillas added together. Finally saw a BBC or similar broadcast that puts evacuations in the hundreds seems far more correct. The area between those two towns is most at risk.

Our family in San Juan hasn't been able to get in touch with Isabella after the first day. Haven't heard anything from San Germán yet either. Fairly confident everyone is fine, but it'd be nice to hear from them.

OmniGamer

Updates as I received them yesterday (Sunday, Sept. 24th)

"Just received first word from my tenant at the Arecibo property. They're safe...the two front doors on the ground level were severely damaged, some ceiling leaks in his second floor apartment, and the power line pole outside of the building has (partially) fallen...supposedly the windows are ok...now awaiting photos as soon as cell signal down there permits.
1 down...4 more to go..."

"Arecibo, PR

I found some older "BEFORE" shots (from around 2015) to line up with what my tenant sent us tonight.

And in San Juan news (not shown), we just received a call from one of the properties there...Again, safe and no personal injuries. Top floor door blown in, and the avocado tree fell down and took a drainage pipe with it
*Sigh*...2 down....3 to go"

Pics from Arecibo...a couple of drone shots to show the proximity to the Ocean and a river, then the rest of the pics.

a friend of mine from mayaguez managed to get his hotspot up and fb message me. said he was okay. should get water soon. still no power there.

NewFresh

We are waiting until we get some confirmation from family on their houses to put together a plan to go help with clean-up.

At least we know they are ok.

pikablu

I have a destiny friend who lives in PR and my heart goes out to him. I'm definitely going to be doing something to help out.

Jennifer Bendery‏ @jbendery 54 minutes ago
Senior Hill aide says WH expected to send disaster aid request to Congress in 1st/2nd week of Oct for Puerto Rico. That gets ball rolling.​

Not good enough, Donald Trump. Get this done NOW.

PR needs to be on a fast-track to statehood. The response has been shameful and this wouldn't be nearly as bad if it had the perks of statehood.

cntr

Banned
That's how long aid requests normally take. They need to tally up everything that needs to be done, it's not just "give money".

edit: doesn't mean it's not a slow and awful response, just that it's always been this slow

cntr

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if this led up to a binding referendum on the issue, a few years down the line.

(Or maybe not, who knows.)

That's how long aid requests normally take. They need to tally up everything that needs to be done, it's not just "give money".

Harvey aid package was passed 12 days after it hit Texas, and about a week after it finally cleared out. If they're into the second week of October before even sending an aid request to Congress, that's already 3 weeks after Maria hit. Meanwhile, the island is cut off from civilization with nowhere for its residents to go for help. The response must be sooner and stronger.

cntr

Banned
Harvey aid package was passed 12 days after it hit Texas, and about a week after it finally cleared out. If they're into the second week of October before even sending an aid request to Congress, that's already 3 weeks after Maria hit. Meanwhile, the island is cut off from civilization with nowhere for its residents to go for help. The response must be sooner and stronger.
Oh, yeah, definitely. The response has been terrible. But I feel like the US has been terrible at disaster response in general, and Puerto Rico response's just the worst on a pile of awful.

Oh, yeah, definitely. The response has been terrible. But I feel like the US has been terrible at disaster response in general, and Puerto Rico response's just the worst on a pile of awful.

Yeah, it's not the best that it can be. One would have hoped they'd have this done earlier.
I'm guessing the location isn't helping either, and the Virgin Islands also being hurt doesn't help either. Until then, It looks like aid is coming from Florida and New York.

Griss

Hoping for the best for Puerto Rico. Here in the TCI we're almost 3 weeks post-Irma, and at least half of the island still doesn't have power. Two friends were told after Maria that they wouldn't have power for another two months - that's three months total. They've just left the country - what else can they do? Can't afford hotels for two months.

I'm also having a website designed by a local company - their office will be without power for another month. What can they do? I told the guy to just handle his business - a website is not a huge priority. But it just shows how much people are affected. Just under half of the staff are still staying with friends / family.

The coverage and response (or non-response) concerning Puerto Rico has been disgraceful.

To be honest, looking at the huge Irma thread and tiny Maria thread was massively instructive - if the storm isn't predicted to hit the US it just doesn't enter the consciousness of most Americans, and that hurts when it comes to the clean up, raising aid, awareness etc.

All us Caribbean islands got a ton of press during Irma - because the storm was on its way to the US. Maria was never a threat to them, so both here and elsewhere you never saw the same level of engagement, not at all. Worked out okay for me because we got hit by Irma and not Maria so we got plenty of press and as a result more aid than we ever have before, but it sucks all the same.

I don't blame Americans, everyone is more interested in things that may affect them directly. That's natural. But had Maria been on course to hit (or ended up hitting) the mainland US proper I have no doubt that it would be a bigger deal to get aid out to you.

Hoping for the best for Puerto Rico. Here in the TCI we're almost 3 weeks post-Irma, and at least half of the island still doesn't have power. Two friends were told after Maria that they wouldn't have power for another two months - that's three months total. They've just left the country - what else can they do? Can't afford hotels for two months.

I'm also having a website designed by a local company - their office will be without power for another month. What can they do? I told the guy to just handle his business - a website is not a huge priority. But it just shows how much people are affected. Just under half of the staff are still staying with friends / family.

To be honest, looking at the huge Irma thread and tiny Maria thread was massively instructive - if the storm isn't predicted to hit the US it just doesn't enter the consciousness of most Americans, and that hurts when it comes to the clean up, raising aid, awareness etc.

All us Caribbean islands got a ton of press during Irma - because the storm was on its way to the US. Maria was never a threat to them, so both here and elsewhere you never saw the same level of engagement, not at all. Worked out okay for me because we got hit by Irma and not Maria so we got plenty of press and as a result more aid than we ever have before, but it sucks all the same.

I don't blame Americans, everyone is more interested in things that may affect them directly. That's natural. But had Maria been on course to hit (or ended up hitting) the mainland US proper I have no doubt that it would be a bigger deal to get aid out to you.

It also doesn't help that many Americans don't know that people from Puerto Rico and the US virgin islands are Americans too.

The stories coming out of Puerto Rico today are really heart-wrenching. I can't imagine what people are going through for everyone to collectively have their lives destroyed in one fell swoop. It is unreal that we aren't talking about this more here on the mainland.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/hot-isolated-and-running-out-of-supplies-parts-of-puerto-rico-near-desperation/2017/09/24/7f3bcc78-a139-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_maria-855pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.9d778274c363

geomon

The stories coming out of Puerto Rico today are really heart-wrenching. I can't imagine what people are going through for everyone to collectively have their lives destroyed in one fell swoop. It is unreal that we aren't talking about this more here on the mainland.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/hot-isolated-and-running-out-of-supplies-parts-of-puerto-rico-near-desperation/2017/09/24/7f3bcc78-a139-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_maria-855pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.9d778274c363

Watching the mayor of San Juan almost having a breakdown is hard to watch.

We finally heard back from my mom in PR yesterday. Luckily her and my family out there in Cabo Rojo were basically unaffected by everything, houses, cars, etc intact and nobody injured. It's obviously a huge relief for us. But man I'm still torn up about the state of the island and how messed up things will be for a while there. Was planning to visit next year with my wife, no idea how that will pan out now.

Top Bottom