• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I’m closely monitoring this thread at the moment. I’m so tempted to jump back into VR with the Oculus Rift & Touch bundle at £349.

I owned a Rift several months ago when there was a severe lack of software and I didn’t have the Touch controllers. It seems that the library is far more packed out now and I hear the controllers are superb too.

🤔 should I or shouldn’t I?!

I’m closely monitoring this thread at the moment. I’m so tempted to jump back into VR with the Oculus Rift & Touch bundle at £349.

I owned a Rift several months ago when there was a severe lack of software and I didn’t have the Touch controllers. It seems that the library is far more packed out now and I hear the controllers are superb too.

🤔 should I or shouldn’t I?!

Touch controllers are a whole new ballgame, and there is a ton of great free content that you get with them!

Also, the new dash / home 2.0 interface is pretty slick.

(I say go for it! :D)

John, say more of these positive types of things..
Here goes:

Free awesome stuff to try with touch controllers:
- Robo Recall
- Rec Room
- Echo Arena
- Medium
- Quill
- Dead & Buried
- Google Earth VR
- Waltz of the Wizard

A bigger list can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/free_vr_games

Basically, you'll have enough new stuff to play with for the next month without even diving into the Oculus or Steam store for paid games and experiences.

*Also* you'll be the hero of the holidays if you can demo to your family. (I was the hero of Thanksgiving this year :D)

Here goes:

Free awesome stuff to try with touch controllers:
- Robo Recall
- Rec Room
- Echo Arena
- Medium
- Quill
- Dead & Buried
- Google Earth VR
- Waltz of the Wizard

A bigger list can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/free_vr_games

Basically, you'll have enough new stuff to play with for the next month without even diving into the Oculus or Steam store for paid games and experiences.

*Also* you'll be the hero of the holidays if you can demo to your family. (I was the hero of Thanksgiving this year :D)

You are quite the silver tongued Devil, aren’t you?!

I’m going for it! Thanks.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Rift dash is VR 3.0 it gets rid of your pc monitor.
And you can do minority report shit.
And decorate stuff like playstation home

Its the frikking future !!!

Have you tried it ?
Cause the resolution is not an issue with dash.
Text is perfectly readable

I concur. They employed some strange wizardry there. Unlike Bigscreen I can read everything perfectly. I was browsing websites in Chrome no problem and only after a few minutes did I think "i'm doing this in vr". It feels very natural. It's also extremely cool that you can pin things to DASH and access them in any game. So for instance I can put up my security camera feeds and see them all in dash. My outside cameras and the camera in my room with Rift. Think I hear or feel someone presence and I just pull up Dash and I can see if someone is there or at the door. It's extremely handy.

Also that pirate bay environment looks badass.

Darko

My dream has come true...

“Bigscreen, the social VR app that lets you mirror your monitor in virtual reality, is about to release one of its biggest updates yet. Starting today, select Bigscreen users will have access to what the company calls ‘Big Rooms’, a space that lets a room’s creator broadcast whatever they want to “dozens” of users, essentially creating a giant viewing party. The update will roll out to regular users in the next few days”

Keihart

Any recomendations for horror games ? i though it would be full of them but i'm having a hard time finding good ones.

So far i've played Duck Season and Wilson's Heart, i enjoyed these, still going through wilson's heart and in Duck Season i didn't get all the endings yet.
I also purchased Boogey Man 1/2 and A chair in a room, neither of which kept my attention.

I almost forgot Organ Trail, which i'm taking a break of until finishing Wilson's Heart.

Any recomendations for horror games ? i though it would be full of them but i'm having a hard time finding good ones.

So far i've played Duck Season and Wilson's Heart, i enjoyed these, still going through wilson's heart and in Duck Season i didn't get all the endings yet.
I also purchased Boogey Man 1/2 and A chair in a room, neither of which kept my attention.

I almost forgot Organ Trail, which i'm taking a break of until finishing Wilson's Heart.

To be true, I don't know hight quality horror games for VR except Wilson's Heart and maybe Killing Floor: Incursion. Mostly experiences like Exorcist or Paranormal Activity.

From really big games there is only Resident Evil 7, which will come later to PC, but it does not support motion controllers on PS4 at all. I really hope they will add Oculus Touch support into PC version.

Agony also will support PC VR on release.

120v

Dreadhalls is still one of my favorites. very basic gameplay but it's cheap and brings the scares

Keihart

I found a game on steam called Dread Eye that looks promising, sadly right now if you try to play it with Oculus the aspect ration of the images doesn't match, the dev said that they are adding Oculus suport before end of the year, hopefully.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Organ Quarter, Home Sweet Home, Face Your Fear, Sisters VR, Narcosis, Paranormal Activity The Lost Soul, Emily Wants to Play, Dreadhalls

yagizu

Neo Member
Did anyone try Header Goal VR?
It's available on Steam and Oculus Store.
http://www.headergoalvr.com/
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Been playing L.A. Noire for a while now and it is pretty damn good, i hope this is R* testing the water for either a GTA V VR or some kind of VR mode implemented into the next GTA or even Red Dead. Because this really shows potential if they can iron out a few things here and there.

Keihart

That looks like something that you can do in non virtual reality by way less money than an HMD. With a ball and a wall....just sayin'

Keihart

Finally finished Wilson's Heart, great quality game, even if not scary is a great game for lovers of horror movies and old survival horror games.

The plot has a pretty good build up to the main character, and there are some really neat mechanics, it's a shame that the game falls short on giving you freedom to use this mechanics since is really linear not just on the plot but also in it's puzzles.

Anyway, great game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
When will VR not be like your sitting a few inches in front of a 480p CRT where its all pixilated?

Im guessing 4k will be needed.

When will sony, vive and oculus make 4k versions? Or will they go straight to 8k,16k?

When will VR not be like your sitting a few inches in front of a 480p CRT where its all pixilated?

Im guessing 4k will be needed.

When will sony, vive and oculus make 4k versions? Or will they go straight to 8k,16k?
When will we have things that can power this while simultaneously avoiding wires while not overheating the headset while not being expensive

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
When will we have things that can power this while simultaneously avoiding wires while not overheating the headset while not being expensive

Well 4k in VR could be done now with high end hardware like a 1080ti, so in about 3yrs that hardware will be more at mainstream prices.
If Facebook are serious about true VR world penetration they would take a loss on hardware.

abracadaver

I bought an Oculus Rift 2 weeks ago and I'm having some issues:

I can't open the Steam overlay in some games, for example Superhot, Gal*Gun and Killing Floor. In the case of Superhot I don't even know how to quit the game or replay levels. It just drops me into the room with computers.

Why is the overlay not working and how do you navigate superhot?

I bought all the games on Steam

BrettWeir

If you are a fan of older MMO's (EQ, AC, etc) check out OrbusVR. I haven't had this much fun in an MMO in over a decade. It's still in early access, but the world is already incredibly vibrant and alive with dungeons in place and a few world bosses. It's refreshing to actually have to perform skills manually, versus button rotations, although it can become quite tiring if you're a runemage attempting to get your spell runes correct.

I wish the devs offered an instanced beginning area demo, as I know a lot of people won't jump in at $40. But I'm sure glad I did.

Blam

what happened to microsofts VR ?

It's out the ACER stuff is out and supported on SteamVR.

If you are a fan of older MMO's (EQ, AC, etc) check out OrbusVR. I haven't had this much fun in an MMO in over a decade. It's still in early access, but the world is already incredibly vibrant and alive with dungeons in place and a few world bosses. It's refreshing to actually have to perform skills manually, versus button rotations, although it can become quite tiring if you're a runemage attempting to get your spell runes correct.

I wish the devs offered an instanced beginning area demo, as I know a lot of people won't jump in at $40. But I'm sure glad I did.

Will check this out.

This thread is dead. Anyone playing Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice?

VR patch for free hit two weeks ago. Game looks amazing in VR (still 3rd person).

Guiberu

Another bump.

Recently picked up a Dell Visor for £100. I bloody love Gumtree.

Amazing, and thoroughly recommended to anyone considering jumping into VR, but hesitant in spending a small fortune, and attaching sensors everywhere. They can be regularly had on eBay and the aforementioned Gumtree/Equivalent for cheap.

Recorded {and poorly encoded} some gameplay, if anyone is interested.

Pavlov VR

Jet Island

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are the most serious VR sites/channels/whatever that know what they're talking about and how to handle reviewing sets properly to stress their tracking limits and shortcomings and what not? Also ones that actually do try the different sets of course, if they know what they're talking about but only use one set ever that's not helpful (unless you want games reviews obviously). It's hard to google for reviews of the various Mixed Reality sets for example, one place might praise one of the cheaper sets (so not Samsung's that can cost as much as a Rift room scale bundle or even a Vive set!) as pretty great all things considered, another might call the same set trash because it's hard to even get the view in focus or because it's easy for the controllers to lose proper tracking and whatever else affects gameplay negatively.

Last edited:

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
What are the most serious VR sites/channels/whatever that know what they're talking about and how to handle reviewing sets properly to stress their tracking limits and shortcomings and what not? Also ones that actually do try the different sets of course, if they know what they're talking about but only use one set ever that's not helpful (unless you want games reviews obviously). It's hard to google for reviews of the various Mixed Reality sets for example, one place might praise one of the cheaper sets (so not Samsung's that can cost as much as a Rift room scale bundle or even a Vive set!) as pretty great all things considered, another might call the same set trash because it's hard to even get the view in focus or because it's easy for the controllers to lose proper tracking and whatever else affects gameplay negatively.

MRTV and Sweviver are your best in town when it comes to honest, genuine and professional reviews and impressions of headsets. They have tried every single headset on the market. MRTV will be reviewing the XTAL 180º FOV HMD unit in the next 3 three months. I'll be keeping an eye out for that review in particular, since I'm considering buying one(it's $5800USD).

Alexios

MRTV and Sweviver are your best in town when it comes to honest, genuine and professional reviews and impressions of headsets. They have tried every single headset on the market. MRTV will be reviewing the XTAL 180º FOV HMD unit in the next 3 three months. I'll be keeping an eye out for that review in particular, since I'm considering buying one(it's $5800USD).
Thanks!

I checked MRTV, their reviews may be accurate but they are far too short and they seem to rate almost everything (except one uncomfortable and low-FOV WMR set) as great with like around an 8 including the stand alone VR sets but I guess they rate those for what they are and not in comparison to the PC stuff. Still, I can't find mention of use case scenarios where the WMR controllers falter for example. Every WMR HMD review of theirs mentions the same negative point about that not being great in some cases but the actual review focuses on the headset alone and I don't see any separate review of the controllers or any mention of the different HMD having any changes to the reliability or distance of the tracking due to potentially slightly differing camera placement.

Now I understand that WMR will obviously have trouble (or rather, altogether stop) tracking things not within the cameras' view (which is larger than your own gameplay field of view though) but I really want to know if it's completely 1:1 without issues when in front of you, I'm very interested in all the good VR shooters as I'm a fan of lightgun games too but I do not want to compromise my aim in any way whatsoever. Even if the games have visual aids like tracers or large hit effects to intuitively help you adjust any not-quite-right aiming and still play the game comfortably, I really want this aspect to be perfect 1:1 so it feels just right at all times and every single missed shot is my own fault rather than the controllers' messing up or accumulating drift or whatever else so that I may first need to miss, see the effect, then adjust.

They also haven't reviewed the Odyssey or the Odyssey + as far as I can tell. I will search through the youtuber you mentioned later but with a quick search earlier on my phone (in the youtube app which isn't so great for that, I couldn't even do a search within his channel and so just checked his different playlist sections for a bit) I didn't find he has reviewed as many sets as the MRTV website himself.

At least I found out about this ipd eye distance thing and how only the Odyssey and the Vive/Rift and other high end sets offer adjusting the lenses to your own, that might be why some reviews praised and others trashed the same lower end WMR set, the reviewer's eye distance might have been too different to the average which led to impossible to focus screens. Now I'm trying to find a way to measure mine lol.

I also watched a random video of someone playing SUPERHOT VR on a WMR set and he even had trouble starting the game up because he couldn't shoot himself so I guess that kind of close range tracking is one of the cases where WMR falters but then again it might have also been a fluke, I don't know without someone doing extensive tracking testing, it's like most places take it for granted now and don't do that when at the dawn of modern VR I seem to recall many youtubers and what not having videos where they stress tested the tracking of both HMD and controllers as they messed around and tried different things.

Last edited:

Alexios

I checked through Sweviver's videos now and yeah it seems that WMR controller tracking is a bit lacking. Not bad like Sony's Move but not ideal. He even modded his set up to use the Vive controllers with the Samsung Odyssey HMD and get (close to) the best of both worlds, great controller tracking and the nicer HMD. Maybe a next generation set of WMR stuff will do good, or finally a next generation of Vive/Rift/Other to have both the best tracking and ease of use, who knows. I also read on other places that the build quality of the WMR controllers isn't the best, not just because it feels like cheap plastic but because things like the analog sticks showed wear as soon as like a week of heavier use. I guess if I jump in sooner rather than later I'll still have to make do with the Rift + Touch as the most sensible overall option currently even if it suffers in resolution and such. Then again I don't have a GTX2080Ti or Titan or maybe that's the best option regardless for longer term use. We'll see. The Lenovo Explorer WMR was really attractive given it often goes for around 200 and reviews mention it being rather comfortable and what not so it might not beat the super expensive Odyssey or Odyssey+ but it's solid apparently. Going to Lenovo's own site it seems it's out of stock there (not elsewhere) so I wonder if they're gearing up for a V2 but until Microsoft does a WMR V2 overall I guess their tracking won't improve anyway.

Last edited:

Alexios

Well fuck it, I spent so much time recently trying to clear up misconceptions about VR and motion controls and what you can and can't do with it in other threads that I hyped myself, put my money where my mouth is and ordered a Rift when I saw it for an OK price (less than 450 for the bundle with the crappy Marvel game which made it less expensive than the bundle without - if only we were lucky to have USA prices for this stuff with like $300 during a sale, those are true bargain prices but importing adds taxes and other fees which means it ends up similar to buying it locally for me). Hopefully I don't regret this if they soon announce a cooler Rift 2 (for a similar price point though, rather than a premium edition like HTC did as that's a no go for me anyway, just as I don't go around buying Titan graphics cards every other year) but overall, screw waiting. A higher res wider fov HMD would certainly be better but then I would think it would be better to wait and first upgrade my PC (the CPU is getting old so I would need a CPU, motherboard, RAM, maybe a new case, the rest of my gear should be good enough for a while longer save for potential incompatibilities that I don't think I will encounter) to drive the native resolution in 90+ fps without reducing settings too much and then by the time I have saved enough for a VR set yet more technologies could appear to be around the corner, I'd end up waiting forever just like I waited like 2 years before I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my GPU earlier this year or how long it took me to upgrade from my shitty old 1280x1024 monitor to something resembling modern resolution.

I stopped looking at budget WMR stuff and went with the Rift because only Samsung's expensive set has IPD adjusting so it was too much of a risk if I couldn't test a set here, plus concerns for the build quality of the controllers are widespread while I haven't seen people get too much trouble with the Touch which is widely considered the best for VR, at least until some company mass produces knuckles. Plus even the budget WMR stuff are sold for a premium here so much so that importing one would make it much cheaper despite the fees but again not cheap enough compared to the Rift given the other concessions. I should have my Rift before the 10th, hopefully before the 5th though. I can't wait to get software I can't sample elsewhere, I've already downloaded some of those I liked and some more on top in anticipation :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Crazy good deal, I'm not hot on WMR as is and went for the Oculus for its overall out of the box features vs price, but for this price for the universally accepted as the best form of WMR rather than the cheaper implementations I'd certainly have considered it a LOT more seriously.
https://uploadvr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-299-sale/ 40% off for Samsung's Odyssey+ set (Odyssey and Odyssey + are so good image quality wise people with money to burn have been using them with the Vive controllers & tracking to make up for WMR tracking deficiencies).

Last edited:
Top Bottom