• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Retro - Donkey Kong Country + Killer Instinct - 16-Bit CG Revolution!

JP

I do love these retro articles but we don't seem to get as many as I'd like but I suppose there ls been a lot of things for DF to work with lately.

Even though I was never really a fan of the games, as I mentioned, I've always really appreciated the skill that must have gone in to producing them and I really liked having Rare talk about the processes they went through to get there.

Perhaps the most interesting bit for me was family having it explained to me why the Game Boy Advance version looked so off in terms of how washed out it looked.

EDIT:
Excellent video, I tried to edit your title for you but if you prefer something else let me know.
Thanks, it's perfect.

RAIDEN1

With the recent release of the SNES Mini you get to re-appreciate just how much of a stellar (and difficult!) a title Donkey Kong Country is/was! It needed no Saturn technology, no 32x technology to be the showcase that it was!

Narasaki

Yoshi's Island was better. The intro alone make my eyes all misty. DKC is shallow in comparison and David Wise is overrated

J4K

I always enjoy the Retros, but they're just too damn long. I see over 40 minutes in the length and move on.

That era was my favourite for gaming no question. Consoles plus arcade machines was just the perfect combo with some PC thrown in the mix.

JP

That era was my favourite for gaming no question. Consoles plus arcade machines was just the perfect combo with some PC thrown in the mix.
I didn't actually own a Nintendo or Sega console at the time because I was more into the home computer side of things but many of the SNES games have become pretty special to me when I got into it much later on. I'm still not quite into the Sega consoles in quite the same way but there are obviously still some fantastic games on them but their arcade games what worked better for me.

Although we have a pretty small arcade in the town I grew up in there was a much grander one in the town about 20 miles away and they had all the articulated Sega cabinets there which absolutely blew me away when going from things like Space Invaders in my local arcade. i know it's never been the most popular of games but Enduro Racer was always my favourite arcade game.
iu

They also had the other big arcade cabinets from Sega and I loved them all but Enduro Racer was just special for me.

Wonko_C

So much work put into these, no wonder why it took so long, and surely Xbox One X's release had a big part on that too.

I always enjoy the Retros, but they're just too damn long. I see over 40 minutes in the length and move on.

What the f...? Why are you even posting on Neogaf? Goddamn casuals.

Meanwhile, in the land of those who possess an above average intellect and an attention span greater than that of gnat, we're going to enjoy a beer and appreciate another amazing production from Dark1x. Lots of passion and skill went into the production of this video and it shows. The cameos and personal insights from the developers were inspiring. Great stuff. Amazing piece Dark1x. Keep them coming. As an indie developer, videos like these keep me going. Loved the MLG drop in.

Edit: It's reassuring knowing that there's a -highly select- few people out there who appreciate the effort and artistry that goes into game development and consequently take the time to make videos like this.

What a long wait. I do love Digital Foundry Retro. This is a great episode. Recognising all those English accents from the developers was crazy. It's a shame to think the game development industry in the UK has taken a massive hit from the days of being one of the pioneers.

Crew 511A

What the f...? Why are you even posting on Neogaf? Goddamn casuals.

Meanwhile, in the land of those who possess an above average intellect and an attention span greater than that of gnat, we're going to enjoy a beer and appreciate another amazing production from Dark1x. Lots of passion and skill went into the production of this video and it shows. The cameos and personal insights from the developers were inspiring. Great stuff. Amazing piece Dark1x. Keep them coming. As an indie developer, videos like these keep me going. Loved the MLG drop in.

Edit: It's reassuring knowing that there's a -highly select- few people out there who appreciate the effort and artistry that goes into game development and consequently take the time to make videos like this.

Lighten up, Francis. 40 minutes is quite a bit longer than the average You Tube video. Your smug attitude is precisely why so much of the gaming world was thrilled to see NEOGAF get knocked off its high horse.

ChuyMasta

I got half way through it because visitors came by but what I watched so far is really interesting.

Back in college I did develop a sprite based game so it was interesting listening to how they had to convert the art into tiles, color limits, frames and "tile" the stage assets.

Or how one person would code something, then use a floppy disk to give it to someone else.

I was like, yeah! I did that!

That shit was time consuming and frustrating when the code didnt work or the sprites did not reapond to function calls so you had hour character never face left and then completely spaz afterwards.

Im glad theres really talented and patient people out there. I did not cut it as a developer.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yoshi's Island was better. The intro alone make my eyes all misty. DKC is shallow in comparison and David Wise is overrated
Man. That wasn’t the point of the video. As for the David wise part you are wrong my friend

Is dark1x still a member ?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
one thing that was missing from this or maybe I just missed it, is at the time of Donkey Kong Country's reveal is loads of new hardware was being showcased like the PS1 or the Sega Saturn.

When they first start showing off DKC they didn't say which console it was on and people were saying it was a full new console from Nintendo, they then said we are going to show our console which is running this game and loads of press were there to get the scoop.

they showed off a couple of levels of DKC and people were blown away and they said right lets show off the hardware running this game and lifted a box to show the Super Nintendo and it blew peoples minds that this was all happening on a SNES

I remember it well

Top Bottom