• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

Crash331

Unless I miscounted, this is less than ~90 games for two years. I don't know how many games PS4 had by February, but I want to say it was around that many?

Not to mention, most of those are PS+ free game tier of games, or they have already been available on other platforms for years.

Look, I'm a Wii U owner and I was happy with it, so I won't be disappointed if I have 8-15 first party games over 4 years for the switch, but that lineup isn't that impressive.

I'm with the OP. It's a bit strange and a bit worrying that there is so little mention of these new games. Whether they're saving these announcements/details for E3 or a direct it's rather annoying that they aren't being transparent with these titles.

Hindl

I don't have any problems with the system. I got it for split controller gaming and it's delivered. I'm extremely happy with that. I also got it for I Am Setsuna, which I'm almost finished with. I would like to see something else cool coming in the nearish future that is interesting to me. Or I would like to get more information on games that I'm interested in. That list of games is good and all, but there are quite a few games on that list we know almost nothing about. It would be awesome if devs would at least talk about them...that would be enough for me personally.

I'd love to hear more about Redout, but outside of being announced we know nothing about how it's going to play out on the NS.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. You talk abotu how we don't know anything about games like Redout or Steep, but we know exactly what those games are. Both of them have been out for a couple months already, so the thing to know is "this game is coming to Switch. It'll probably not look/run as well as the other platforms but you can take it with you". Unless you're talking about console exclusive features? I don't think you'll get that.

I think that it's better to wait for E3 and then judge

(if you expected Destiny 2 or Red Dead 2 for Switch you might want to reconsider your purchase btw... )
The "wait and announce at E3" isn't a sound business strategy and Nintendo understands this. My guess is they'd encourage publishers to announce software for the system as soon as they can to generate interest.

With that said, I'd be willing to be there just isn't much to announce and I'm curious how that will affect the sustained sales through the summer.

from the nindies direct, there were some good looking games (and other indies announced outside of that)

They're all fucking TBA, so they dont mean anything when looking at whats coming up until they actually get a date.

I played MK8 on the wii u, not worth buying again.

This is why the switch can never be my main console, and it isn't. I have a pc and the other 2 for this exact reason because being Nintendo only would never work for me.

It's not ok that the release calendar looks as bad as it does, but it's fine to me because ps4 and PC exist

EDarkness

I'm with the OP. It's a bit strange and a bit worrying that there is so little mention of these new games. Whether they're saving these announcements/details for E3 or a direct it's rather annoying that they aren't being transparent with these titles.

What's even stranger is that I had assumed that Dragon Quest XI had been announced for the NS, but I guess it hasn't so when all the new information comes out people are always wondering what's the situation with the NS version. It's baffling to me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What's even stranger is that I had assumed that Dragon Quest XI had been announced for the NS, but I guess it hasn't so when all the new information comes out people are always wondering what's the situation with the NS version. It's baffling to me.

DQXI has been announced for Switch several times. But they keep not mentioning it in the V-Jump articles about the game, just the PS4/3DS versions.

Hindl

Also, outside of already announced ports (Skyrim, Steep, etc.) and some big indies coming over (Rocket League, Undertale) I don't really think you'll see many 3rd parties at E3. They are very wary of Nintendo's platform, and I think Nintendo realizes that at least for the first year, they're going to be carrying this thing all on their own. So E3 will probably have a lot of Nintendo games, but chances are all of the big 3rd party games that are going to be announced won't be coming to Switch

ViolentP

I'm only hoping that they're doing something with VC to make it worth the wait. We shall see I guess.

They can certainly do something special and frankly I'm all for it. But waiting will not resolve the issue of the content lull we are currently faced with. If they want to release VC with a bang, they need something to tide us over for now. It can't be much longer before we see people capitalizing on the low stock by reselling their Switch's after playing BotW.

I just figured that releasing games they already have would be a good way to keep people entertained with their new devices while they work on the big-hit titles.

EDIT: Or just release Dragon Quest VIII and I'll shut the hell up.

C.Mongler

I'll go against the grain here I suppose and say I mostly agree with OP. I think there's plenty of stuff that's been announced so far that I'm pretty excited about, but what gets me is there are no dates. Very few Switch titles right now have solid launch windows, and even fewer have actual dates. That's what I'm bummed about mostly. Right now the only things I can get excited for that actually have dates attached to them are Mario Kart 8, a game I have already played extensively, and Puyo Puyo Tetris, a game I have already played extensively. Other than that it's anyone's guess.

Yes, E3 is less than 3 months away. Unfortunately, E3 is still months away. It would be great if Nintendo put together a 30-minute direct in the next couple of weeks that did a couple things. One, I'd love to get a date for ARMS so I can start being hyped. Is it still coming out in Spring? Late May, early June? A Splatoon 2 release month would also be great, a date would be even better. Then any dates or windows they can confirm would add to the hype. Finally, maybe tease some new footage from Mario or something.

But really, just give me some dates, I don't want to wait until June :(

I think we're going to hear a lot of announcements around e3, especially if it continues to sell well until then. I imagine a lot of publishers were very wary and have been waiting to make sure the console isn't a dud out of the gate like the Wii U was.

No offense to anyone, but all this talk of 'waiting for E3' while listing off mostly indies and ports is giving me some serious Vita launch year flashbacks.

I think most expect big Nintendo announcements rather than indies at e3. Im not sure where you're getting that impression based on what I've read here.

EDarkness

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. You talk abotu how we don't know anything about games like Redout or Steep, but we know exactly what those games are. Both of them have been out for a couple months already, so the thing to know is "this game is coming to Switch. It'll probably not look/run as well as the other platforms but you can take it with you". Unless you're talking about console exclusive features? I don't think you'll get that.

We don't know about modes, seeing the game run on the hardware. No devs talking about it at all. It was awesome watching the devs talk about Snake Pass, even if they were showing off the Xbox version. It would be great if the devs would talk about the game and where they're going with it with regards to the NS. Keeps people engaged and helps fill in the gaps.

Mihos

Gold Member
There are a total of 5 games I am getting for switch total based on that graphic.

Anything that is multi-platform, I am getting for the other platforms, mainly because I don't like the Switch hardware (and can't stand the joycons in particular), and secondarily, I rather have them on a platform that has my friends list and extras like trophies etc.

I am sure they are holding off stuff for E3, so the silence make sense. I am hoping for RPGs, but I guess we will see.

Maybe if Nintendo weren't so busy milking cows with farmers, they could actually makes and announce some damn games. Typical lazy devs.

oti

Banned
This is why the switch can never be my main console, and it isn't. I have a pc and the other 2 for this exact reason because being Nintendo only would never work for me.

It's not ok that the release calendar looks as bad as it does, but it's fine to me because ps4 and PC exist

The Switch shouldn't be anyone's main console. Even Nintendo is saying that.

Also, outside of already announced ports (Skyrim, Steep, etc.) and some big indies coming over (Rocket League, Undertale) I don't really think you'll see many 3rd parties at E3. They are very wary of Nintendo's platform, and I think Nintendo realizes that at least for the first year, they're going to be carrying this thing all on their own. So E3 will probably have a lot of Nintendo games, but chances are all of the big 3rd party games that are going to be announced won't be coming to Switch

This is pretty much on point. Anyone expecting E3 to give us some megaton third party partnerships will end up disappointed. On the other hand, I fully expect to see some first party titles that Nintendo hasn't shown us yet.

Their strategy seems to be pretty clear for year one. Support Switch with as many first party games as possible (without burying them) and hammer down great relationships with indie developers. Third parties will come when and if Nintendo can generate a respectable user base. Until then, they're going to wait and see if investing in the platform is worth it.

I don't have any problems with the system. I got it for split controller gaming and it's delivered. I'm extremely happy with that. I also got it for I Am Setsuna, which I'm almost finished with. I would like to see something else cool coming in the nearish future that is interesting to me. Or I would like to get more information on games that I'm interested in. That list of games is good and all, but there are quite a few games on that list we know almost nothing about. It would be awesome if devs would at least talk about them...that would be enough for me personally.

I'd love to hear more about Redout, but outside of being announced we know nothing about how it's going to play out on the NS.

I think this is the big deal issue. We had a bunch of announcements, but little to no details after. They need to do a better job building up hype for what's coming.

Bert

Anyone expecting major announcements, either third party or first, at E3 hasn't been paying attention to Nintendo for the last few years. At best, expect a trailer for a major Nintendo game due around xmas 2018. What you have seen is what's there until next year minimum IMO.

I wish it wasn't so, but after repeatedly being kicked in the teeth by expecting big things from Nintendo, I'm done. WYSIWYG.

Instro

No offense to anyone, but all this talk of 'waiting for E3' while listing off mostly indies and ports is giving me some serious Vita launch year flashbacks.

It's giving me WiiU flashbacks as well. "Wait till E3, they have to have a ton of stuff ready" *Nothing* "What are you talking about? Nintendo doesn't really care about E3 anymore, wait for the fall direct", etc., etc.

Who knows where Nintendo has fucked up this time. "Combining platform efforts" has somehow failed to improve the lineup density of their previous drought machine, while things like Wii and 3DS still had blowouts multiple times bigger. Not to mention that the measly support from Japanese 3rd parties on a handheld system like the Switch is very dubious. I guess they're all feeling comfortable either on PS4 or mobile and Nintendo has once again failed to improve relations.

Mexen

It's going to be an uncomfortable wait but worth it the end. At the very least, at least the system has a lot of games announced for it. E3 is in a couple of months. Let's wait and see.

I think most expect big Nintendo announcements rather than indies at e3. Im not sure where you're getting that impression based on what I've read here.
As someone who has witnessed every Nintendo E3 I don't know why anyone would get their hopes up. This is the company that always has the most potential going into each E3 but often seems to fall short of expectations. Don't forget that PAC-Man VS, Nintendoland and Wii Music were each the highlighted software of that year's presser.

oti

Banned
Who knows where Nintendo has fucked up this time. "Combining platform efforts" has somehow failed to improve the lineup density of their previous drought machine, while things like Wii and 3DS still had blowouts multiple times bigger. Not to mention that the measly support from Japanese 3rd parties on a handheld system like the Switch is very dubious. I guess they're all feeling comfortable either on PS4 or mobile and Nintendo has once again failed to improve relations.

Thank you Spieler Eins for this amazing analysis three weeks into the life of this platform.

As someone who has witnessed every Nintendo E3 I don't know why anyone would get their hopes up. This is the company that always has the most potential going into each E3 but often seems to fall short of expectations. Don't forget that PAC-Man VS, Nintendoland and Wii Music were each the highlighted software of that year's presser.

Hey, my only hope is for Pokémon and maybe monster hunter. I don't think that's too crazy, but we'll see lol.

My main point was that it didn't seem like people were hyping indie e3 announcements.

You can't even walk into a store and buy a Switch yet. They don't have to worry about convincing someone who is on the fence at this point. I would rather wait till E3 and have a hyped show, then a trickle feed of info on projects that I won't see till Fall. Nintendo needs to pace themselves. More than games, I want to know when they are going to finish their OS, and when the VC is coming back and how past purchases are being handled.

Majine

Banned
Switch_Games.png

Pokemon was announced for Switch?

Must have missed that one.

GamerJM

Banned
They're probably holding out until E3 or a post-launch direct if we're lucky. I'm not surprised at the lack of post-launch games, what did you expect? Devs would announce games and then release them a few weeks after announcement?

Sillverrr

We knew this going in though. It was almost a running joke that this was going to be the "Zelda machine". From everything that was announced, you should have learned to temper your expectations, at least until E3 announcements.

Not the best of situations to keep the momentum rolling, but it is what it is.

Instro

Pretty much. The company has managed 2 or 3 enjoyable E3 showings over the last decade.

Have faith, it can't get any worse... Can it?

Mihos

Gold Member
We knew this going in though. It was almost a running joke that this was going to be the "Zelda machine". From everything that was announced, you should have learned to temper your expectations, at least until E3 announcements.

Not the best of situations to keep the momentum rolling, but it is what it is.

Honestly, that is a bit of a problem. I am the only one I know with a switch, and my family is just borrowing mine to play Zelda since I have already beat that and moved on to my PS4 backlog. By the time anything they would be interested in comes out (basically Mario), they can just repeat that cycle with that game. None of them really are interested in buying the thing.

EDarkness

They're probably holding out until E3 or a post-launch direct if we're lucky. I'm not surprised at the lack of post-launch games, what did you expect? Devs would announce games and then release them a few weeks after announcement?

Kinda. I expected to know more about Steep today than we did back in January, but we don't. I was hoping we'd have some hype for something like Redout by now since the game is already out on PC, but we don't. More than that, I figured we'd be getting either information about new games or announcements of new games before E3. New games have been announced, but mostly not for the NS.

Top Bottom