• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SteamSpy] Nier: Automata hit 200k copies in less than 2 weeks

Renekton

Because the west and more and more japanese companies seem to be able to do day-and-date releases of Console and PC versions just fine?

Because that's how developpement for big companies work ? I mean, like when we knew FFX HD developpement for PC was ready 9 months before launch ?

If you're a company like SE, you can always contract another company for a port. There are countless competent studios like QLOC.
Just because several do it doesn't mean it is easy, and not doing it doesn't instantly mean double-dip.

We could trivializing the technical, resourcing and scheduling complications of committing to a scope increase such as ports. What if QLOC was busy? What if the engine is technically difficult to port (eg Arkham Knight)? Etc

Durante

Maybe SE will understand now that double dippers market doesnt exist and that you dont want to miss launch marketing hype.
I'd hope so, but probably not.

Then again, Bandai-Namco managed to turn their ship around quite significantly.

Don't know but are these numbers good at all? For me, personally shoudl be higher no?
They aren't "good".
They are fucking fantastic.
75k in 2 weeks would have been "good".

This already made 8 million USD+ on PC (after Steam fees that is), while I cannot imagine the incremental cost of the port to PC (in addition to the already existing versions) being much more than 200k.

T-Rex.

Banned
What's the likelihood of the original Nier being remastered? I keep seeing people mention it, but I dunno whether that's based on anything concrete or just wishful thinking. I was planning on rebuying a PS3 so I can play through it but if there's a chance of it getting remastered I'll wait.

duckroll

I'm talking here about one of the biggest publisher worldwide. If you cant make inhouse port because of various reasons, you can always contract help.

Just because a publisher is big doesn't mean every release they do is of the same level. If that were the case, then you would actually see such publishers be much more risk adverse, which is bad. Having variable expectations and budgeting for different projects allows more variety in the sort of products released.

chrono01

What's the likelihood of the original Nier being remastered? I keep seeing people mention it, but I dunno whether that's based on anything concrete or just wishful thinking. I was planning on rebuying a PS3 so I can play through it but if there's a chance of it getting remastered I'll wait.
More likely than it once was, that's for sure.

Honestly, I'd love to see Platinum run through the original and give if their touch. Not sure if they'd bother, but I'll continue hoping.

Just because several do it doesn't mean it is easy, and not doing it doesn't instantly mean double-dip.

We could trivializing the technical, resourcing and scheduling complications of committing to a scope increase such as ports. What if QLOC was busy? What if the engine is technically difficult to port (eg Arkham Knight)? Etc

What if QLOC was busy ? There are a lot of talented studios to do it out there.
Then again, I can see the troubles mentionned here for the smallest projects.

Durante

We could just require some minimal level of management and technical competence.

And given those, a day-and-date release on PC of pretty much anything created for any other modern platform, if planned and continuously integration tested from the beginning (that's where the management competence comes in) is really not particularly difficult. Or expensive.

TP

“Is there a possibility of a Nier Remaster or Re-Release?” asked a fan on Facebook. "There is a very high possibility if NieR Automata sells like hotcakes, yes," replied Yosuke Saito.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nier-automata/nier-remaster

Just because a publisher is big doesn't mean every release they do is of the same level. If that were the case, then you would actually see such publishers be much more risk adverse, which is bad. Having variable expectations and budgeting for different projects allows more variety in the sort of products released.

Sure and I did adress that. I can see that not every releases are made with the same budget or conditions. I understand that some releases have such a low budget that an additionnal platform would double the budget.

But I'm mainly talking about some bigger releases here or even cases where we know it was delayed on purpose (FFX HD).

mieumieu

Sure and I did adress that. I can see that not every releases are made with the same budget or conditions. I understand that some releases have such a low budget that an additionnal platform would double the budget.

But I'm mainly talking about some bigger releases here or even cases where we know it was delayed on purpose (FFX HD).

FFX was probably unique due to some sort of exlusive contract with Sony. The PC version was out exactly one year after the PS4 version.

duckroll

FFX was probably unique due to some sort of exlusive contract with Sony. The PC version was out exactly one year after the PS4 version.

Most of the backlash S-E gets for their platform decisions seem to center on unfortunate first party deals they make behind the scenes. Tomb Raider anyone?

Carl7

I want Nier Automata II, they could invest more and give us more content and maybe even coop/pvp. Final C also kinda hints a sequel.

Thrilled for Yoko Taro and everyone at Platinum/etc that had a hand in it. Currently on route B, but I've adored my time with the game. Some of the most fun I've had with any game, in general.

I'm surprised it sold well given its high system requirements. Wouldn't this lock out a bunch of casual pc gamers who are interested in picking it up.

Fantastic news for Yoko, Platinum, Square and the industry as a whole.

We need more games like this and it looks like a lot of people think the same.

T-Rex.

Banned
More likely than it once was, that's for sure.

Honestly, I'd love to see Platinum run through the original and give if their touch. Not sure if they'd bother, but I'll continue hoping.
“Is there a possibility of a Nier Remaster or Re-Release?” asked a fan on Facebook. "There is a very high possibility if NieR Automata sells like hotcakes, yes," replied Yosuke Saito.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nier-automata/nier-remaster
Sweet. Hopefully it happens.

I want Nier Automata II, they could invest more and give us more content and maybe even coop/pvp. Final C also kinda hints a sequel.
Yeah tbh I just want more Nier.

Durante

I'm usually against remasters, but I'd make an exception for Nier.
I'd love for all the PC-only gamers I know who are currently enjoying Nier:A to get to experience the original.

I'm surprised it sold well given its high system requirements. Wouldn't this lock out a bunch of casual pc gamers who are interested in picking it up.
It's not so surprising. You can lock 60 million active Steam users and still have more than 60 million left over.

This is not a shit port, and all the bitching about it is why people roll their eyes at PC gamers and call us entitled. It's a solid port with some issues. It performs reasonably well (roughly equal to the console version on similar hardware), the resolution isn't locked, and it has several graphics options. Yes, it needs a patch to fix some of the stuff done in the community fix, and there is some sort of conflict with AMD's drivers, but let's not overlook the fact that there are actual shit ports out there with far more serious problems and no support or intention of fixing them. *Glaring in Koei Tecmo's general direction
So we agree the port has big problems then? Excellent.

You're underselling a lot of the issues. Cinematics play without problems on the PS4. (A friend of mine found the PC version completely untenable because of this, until the community fixed Platinum's shit programming for them.) You won't have any problems running full-screen on the PS4. (Though it doesn't affect everybody, this is an old Platinum problem on PC.) Plenty of PC users are complaining about crashes. I doubt the game is quad-buffered (WTF) on PS4. This is a port with a lot of issues, and it's disappointing to see so many PC gamers cover for it just because some extremely dedicated fans have put in major work to knock it into shape. (Oh yeah, and MSAA.) This is a full priced release, it should have been in that state day one.

(And hey, I've never had problems with cinematics or running fullscreen or actually even crashes with Koei ports. *shrug*)

Anyway, I'll shut up about this for now, because I don't want to keep (potentially) messing up this thread. I just find it unfortunate when a port that was obviously given so little care and polish is this successful, because I think it sends a very bad message to publishers.

I'll be voting with my wallet and picking this up after Platinum has finished their port.

Durante

(And hey, I've never had problems with cinematics or running fullscreen or actually even crashes with Koei ports. *shrug*)
I can't abide defending Tecmo-Koei anymore, and even less implying that Nier:A is in any way, shape or form comparable to some of their utter disasters.

What it comes down to it is this:

Playing Nier: Automata on PC, as released, with some trivial adjustments (RTSS FPS lock and borderless windowed) is easily the best possible version, and it will continue to remain scalable upwards years into the future since it supports basics of PC gaming like arbitrary resolutions.
With mods, it's the best possible version by an even larger margin.
And its performance is exactly on par with the console version's performance, at the same settings on comparable hardware.

CONVERSELY,
many K-T ports will never be the best possible version of the game, because they are intentionally handicapped by low-tier assets, missing effects, or fucking ridiculously stupid arbitrary limits like a 1080p resolution cap. And to top everything off, their performance is often ridiculously bad for what you get.

Shiggy

Do people really only buy games directly on Steam? Would've thought more people buy it on CDKeys.com or GMG to save money instead of paying 60$ on Steam.

Ascheroth

Do people really only buy games directly on Steam? Would've thought more people buy it on CDKeys.com or GMG to save money instead of paying 60$ on Steam.

Square Enix makes the same money from a person buying from GMG than someone on Steam.
CDKeys probably gets them a little less due to it reselling retail-keys, but even then it wasn't that much cheaper on release there.

dude

dude
These numbers are fantastic. I imagine it's going to have very healthy legs on PC once it starts entering sales and such.

Usobuko

Banned
NieR doing well in both platforms only mean Platinum, Yoko Taro and Okabe future collaborations are a lot.

At least I hope so.

Amazing! really well deserved, hope they will give more budget for their next game! Just hope that it doesn't become as successfull as like kingdom hearts, i don't want 10 nier stupid spin off! ( i know it's kinda selfish)

They need time to do a well written game

Buying from Steam directly means you can refund, which is a plus for a lot of people. But even if we're talking about other sellers, they usually take the lower price on their own cut, which is the same for publishers.

Disney owns Kingdom Hearts. They decide where it goes. Of course it's a partnership and SQEX could try to persuade Disney, but ultimately it's Disney who decide.

Yep, I know. Hence why I said SQEX also had a saying. KH3 not happening on PC for exemple is beyond stupid considering the market and UE4.

Top Bottom