• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

Haven't gotten the chance to play much and it has been a while. Are there indicators on the map letting you know where your team's supply bunkers, launchpads and such are? The visibility is completely borked with the color palette they've opted to use.

I'm done. Let me know when they announce a mode without build and battle. Can't stand this guess work wondering where everything is and waiting for a timer to countdown so I can build another vehicle.

I get it, teamwork is key. That's fine in office tests and focus group tests. Not so much out in the public's hands.

The Missing Link was so kind to gift me a Starhawk Beta Code. I wasn't even asking but he wanted to give it to an old Warhawk Vet, and he sent it to me.

2 days later, I got one in my email. As a way to say thanks for hooking me up to The Missing Link, and as a gesture to pay it forward, I will share my new download code to whomever quotes me first.

I do not normally play these silly games, but he was so generous to give me his code, so I am going to give away my new code to whomever really wants it. Please, if you have a code, dont quote me. I would rather give it to someone who really wants to play Starhawk and give it an honest play session.

Thanks again The Missing Link!!

I'm done. Let me know when they announce a mode without build and battle. Can't stand this guess work wondering where everything is and waiting for a timer to countdown so I can build another vehicle.

I get it, teamwork is key. That's fine in office tests and focus group tests. Not so much out in the public's hands.

Yeah, I've only played a few games so I don't have the most experience with it, but I have to say that I don't feel like this game will work at all with casual players/games full of randoms. While you can just jump in and play, it's definitely not like Halo/Call of Duty/Uncharted or what-have-you where you can just hop in and have a good time, even if you don't have friends online or a team to play with.

However, I think that if you were to get a good team/group to play with, this game could be great. Solo though, I don't think this game works that well at all, but that's probably the point.

The Missing Link was so kind to gift me a Starhawk Beta Code. I wasn't even asking but he wanted to give it to an old Warhawk Vet, and he sent it to me.

2 days later, I got one in my email. As a way to say thanks for hooking me up to The Missing Link, and as a gesture to pay it forward, I will share my new download code to whomever quotes me first.

I do not normally play these silly games, but he was so generous to give me his code, so I am going to give away my new code to whomever really wants it. Please, if you have a code, dont quote me. I would rather give it to someone who really wants to play Starhawk and give it an honest play session.

Thanks again The Missing Link!!

Yo, I'll take it!

Visuals are fantastic. Love the sun.

Not entirely sure I like the re 4/gears style camera placement.

D-pad needs to be more responsive for changing weapons.

Turrets being spawned in my base is extremely frustrating.

Turrets being spawned anywhere but a base is extremely frustrating.

Shoot barrels to collect more energy.

can you stop trying to team kill me, weekend warrior?

team killing isn't on, and besides we were the only 2 in the room so there wasn't much else to do. i was waiting for you to get a hawk or something, don't know what the fuck you were doing, driving around building walls for some reason.

Check your PM Bro! Happy Holidays my man!

Add me up sometime if you want to play!

PSN : Filth_Flannigan

Much appreciated. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

It's been awhile since I've played Warhawk with any Gaffers, and as a result I can't remember if half the people on my friend's list are Warhawk buddies or not. I recognize Sea Manky and a few others, but the rest are toss ups. :)

That's a nice change of pace compared to some other comparisons. Seems like a polarizing game.

I just can't wait to get a chance to try it out for myself.
cenaraw.jpg

Love it or hate it, Starhawk is one of the most polarizing games in PS3 history!

methane47

OMG just got finished in a 2 hour session (maybe longer)
and man is this thing great.... Only think that I'm not liking so far is that I been playing the game for a good 2+ hours and I went in a Starhawk exactly one time...

Game just doesn't feel as centered around the plane as warhawk was.... And in all my games there was pretty much only one person flying around in plane.. :S

I remember in Warhawk where the planes were INTEGRAL to survival planes had to rush in to take out enemy positions before you could even think about getting into a base with either the tank or jeep..... In this game the hawk seems alot more vulnerable .... Pretty much... if its Me on foot vs a hawk in the air.... if i have a rocket launcher... i win... if I dont he probably wont be able to hit me anyways.....

if its on the ground... i still win because jumping up and down and avoiding fire while firing off 2 rockets to kill the guy is pretty easy...

Thrakier

So the guys who love this game...you aren't distracted by the shitty framerate at all? Sorry, I can't get behind that. But yeah, different people and so on...

Thrakier

No, I'm not. Maybe dark10x can come in here and tell us his opinion. I'm pretty sure that the game constantly runs below 30FPS, more around the 25 mark. It feels not nearly as responsive as Warhawk did and controller lag is quite severe.

BeeDog

The framerate is pretty damn shitty, I agree. The awesome motion blur helps to hide it a bit, but the drops are still pretty noticeable. But coming from a PC gaming background (a shit PC, mind you) I've learned to deal with sub-par performance if it's unavoidable. :p

Thrakier

The framerate is pretty damn shitty, I agree. The awesome motion blur helps to hide it a bit, but the drops are still pretty noticeable. But coming from a PC gaming background (a shit PC, mind you) I've learned to deal with sub-par performance if it's unavoidable. :p

It is avoaidable though. Just set the right priorities.

I just checked it again and I'm pretty sure that while flying a warhawk the game goes in it's low 20s or even high 10s framerate wise. It's that bad and you feel it. Button presses need longer to register and everything feels unresponsive and unfun.

I won't even begin to test the new mechanics as long as the basics (aka 30fps and a good netcode) aren't there. Makes no sense. Feels more like an alpha than a beta...

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
o test the new mechanics as long as the basics (aka 30fps and a good netcode) aren't there. Makes no sense. Feels more like an alpha than a beta...

Isn't it being referred to as a "pre-beta", though? I would expect the Big Beta in early 2012 would be more of a proper beta, seeing as how they're gathering a lot of very valuable criticisms to date.

Then again, I'm just speaking out of my ass because I don't have a <cry moar> code yet.

It is avoaidable though. Just set the right priorities.

I just checked it again and I'm pretty sure that while flying a warhawk the game goes in it's low 20s or even high 10s framerate wise. It's that bad and you feel it. Button presses need longer to register and everything feels unresponsive and unfun.

I won't even begin to test the new mechanics as long as the basics (aka 30fps and a good netcode) aren't there. Makes no sense. Feels more like an alpha than a beta...

I think your PS3 is dying bro. If the frame rate dipped into the teens it would be all over the forums, it's not. Frame rate is not an issue. Unresponsive controls are, but frame rate is not.

Thrakier

Isn't it being referred to as a "pre-beta", though? I would expect the Big Beta in early 2012 would be more of a proper beta, seeing as how they're gathering a lot of very valuable criticisms to date.

Then again, I'm just speaking out of my ass because I don't have a <cry moar> code yet.

I hope so. Yet I find it worrying that the framerate isn't solid yet. The experience should be build around a solid framerate and not trying to fix it in the last two months.

darkwing

weird , I thought the framerate was stable, haven't seen any complaining in the Beta forums, and those people complain a lot lol

Thrakier

weird , I thought the framerate was stable, haven't seen any complaining in the Beta forums, and those people complain a lot lol

I think that a lot of people are basically blind to framedrops and low framerates as long as there isn't massiv judder. It's kinda weird that no one complained though because it's really really not good at all at the moment.

Thrakier

I think your PS3 is dying bro. If the frame rate dipped into the teens it would be all over the forums, it's not. Frame rate is not an issue. Unresponsive controls are, but frame rate is not.

No, my PS3 isn't dying bro. :) It's the game that can't keep a steady framerate. Btw, unresponsive controls and a low framerate are linked.

Again, it's a beta (pre-beta from what I hear). It's not really close to the finished product. Let me see the Starhawk PSN Demo have the same issues, then I'll raise Hell.

I just opened a thread on the Starhawk forums to see if the thousands of people have experienced anything to the level of what you're seeing. Will monitor the results.

Has Sea Manky gotten to play the beta? I'm really curious to hear his impressions. I remember him posting after the game was initially revealed, but I haven't heard a peep from him since. As always, he brought up some really good points, and I wonder if playing the game has changed his opinions/alleviated any concerns he might have had.

Thrakier

Again, it's a beta (pre-beta from what I hear). It's not really close to the finished product. Let me see the Starhawk PSN Demo have the same issues, then I'll raise Hell.

I just opened a thread on the Starhawk forums to see if the thousands of people have experienced anything to the level of what you're seeing. Will monitor the results.

Nice. Can you give me the link? Though I really don't give too much on others opinions regarding tech anymore TBH. I just learned that I'm much more sensible to issues than others over the past gamer years. So, I'd bet a lot that this game runs sub 30FPS esspecially in Warhawks (I guess it's 30 when the match starts) but I fear we'll never measure that version of the beta...

Release info in Beta Update 1.0.9
1.0.9 was released:

Today's 1.0.9 update for the Starhawk Private BETA was deployed during the server maintenance at 4pm Central and contained the following changes:

* All vehicle construction times are reduced to 3 seconds.
* Moved flag position to the centers of each base in the small Space map.
* Fixed bug that prevented CTF games from properly triggering the "Flags Revealed" state.
* Fixed ladder exploit in small Space map.
* Fixed pre-game CTF exploit.

Here are a few more details regarding the Starhawk Private BETA 1.0.9 Update:

Much Faster Vehicle Construction Times:
This change is intended to greatly increase the usage of Razorback 4x4s, JetPacks and Hawks as well as help players construct new vehicles without feeling compelled to build entire structures just for the default vehicle that it spawns. As a point of reference, the Hawk construction time used to be 30 seconds and now it is only 3 seconds. It should also be noted that, at least for now, all vehicles have the same 3 second construction time.

New Flag Position in Small Space Map:
Players had been using defensive building strategies to protect the flag that relied on the non-buildable railing just behind the flag base. This resulted in layouts that were awkward for troops to traverse. To fix this, we have moved the flags to the centers of each of the team's bases to help minimize awkward defensive layouts.

Bug Fix for "Flags Revealed" State in CTF:
After both flags have been in-play for 120 seconds, the flags are fully displayed on the map. Furthermore, returning you team's flag can be achieved by killing the flag carrier and simply touching your team's flag rather than having to camp by it until it is returned. There was a bug that sometimes resulted in this state not being triggered in CTF games.

Fixed Two Exploits:
Due to the great work of our Starhawk BETA Testers, we were able to get video of 2 unsavory exploits. Both of which are fixed in the 1.0.9 Update!

Top Bottom