• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios moved to a new larger office

Tehalemi

You know, just because we've seen the building doesn't mean they don't have an extensive basement complex. :p

OT:
Note to self: googling basement complex images turns up a few "interesting" results. D:

Two can play that game!

Heya Theo,
Happy Holidays my friend and thanks for the note. We normally don't respond to these but wanted to get back to you about our website. We know our website isn't anything amazing, that's intentional and for good reason. Simply put, we're a small game development studio. We put every resource into making great games. We don't have a web master, we don't have a marketing department, we don't have a consumer service department. We concentrate all of our efforts on making high quality Nintendo games and that's what's important to us.If you want to know anything about Retro Studios, just play our games. . We would rather take the resources involved with making a website and hire a talented Designer, Artist or Engineer. You may also wonder why you don't hear much from or about us in the media. That's also intentional and for the very same reason. We only care about making great games. We like to lay low and under the radar. We are humble, modest and we work very, very hard to keep our fans surprised, happy and satisfied. That's all that matters to your friends at Retro Studios.

Metroid Prime Wii U for E3 confirmed.

"A project everyone wants us to do."

2002 Metroid Prime (GC)
2004 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC)
2006 Metroid Prime Hunters (DS)
2007 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
2009 Metroid Prime: Trilogy (Wii)
2010 Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
2011 Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
TBA Untitled Project (Nintendo Wii U)

Metroid Prime 4 for Wii U. Do it.
courtney-stodden-faceiok46.gif

ohlawd

Just get Noise on it, they make great games (LOVED the GC one to death), really want the DS game if I can ever find it new and for cheap.

Wii U, 3DS, just give me more Custom Robo! :(

damn they haven't made anything in so long. Any news on what they're doing right now?

I played the crap out of the GC one. The battles were so addicting and the music was top notch. I'm surprised it averaged like a 65 on Metacritic.

damn they haven't made anything in so long. Any news on what they're doing right now?

I played the crap out of the GC one. The battles were so addicting and the music was top notch. I'm surprised it averaged like a 65 on Metacritic.

Last I saw they seemingly acknowledge the requests for Custom Robo (yay!), but I don't know the exact details as I was going off a Google Translation of their blog post:

http://www.noise-games.com/blog/

Should be the first one, if someone can properly translate it we'll have something proper to go by, but it looked like they understand the requests.

You are missing the real message here guys
Heya Theo,
Happy Holidays my friend and thanks for the note. We normally don't respond to these but wanted to get back to you about our website. We know our website isn't anything amazing, that's intentional and for good reason. Simply put, we're a small game development studio. We put every resource into making great games. We don't have a web master, we don't have a marketing department, we don't have a consumer service department. We concentrate all of our efforts on making high quality Nintendo games and that's what's important to us.If you want to know anything about Retro Studios, just play our games. . We would rather take the resources involved with making a website and hire a talented Designer, Artist or Engineer. You may also wonder why you don't hear much from or about us in the media. That's also intentional and for the very same reason. We only care about making great games. We like to lay low and under the radar. We are humble, modest and we work very, very hard to keep our fans surprised, happy and satisfied. That's all that matters to your friends at Retro Studios.

Hi neogaf. We would appreciate it if youd leave us alone.

I want the people who designed characters for the Darksiders games the FUCK away from Retro.

Not a fan of Joe Madureira's style? I don't think you have to worry, I'm pretty sure he is back working on comics.

I wouldn't mind some of his style rubbing off on Nintendo. I love this stuff.

CFJtXHf.jpg

dbJ3Pw4.jpg

So I decided to fish for whatever NST hires I could find, the only one I really found was someone who relatively fresh out of DigiPen, but was at 343i for 6 months as a 3D Environment Artist, now a 3D Artist at NST.

Pikma

Banned
Heya Theo,
Happy Holidays my frIend and thanks for the note. We normally don't respond to these but wanted to get back to you about our website. We know our website isn't anything aMazing, that's intentional and for good reason. SiMply put, we'Re a small game development studio. We put every resource into making Great games. We don't have A web master, we don't have a marketing department, we don't have a consumer service department. We concentrate all of our efforts on making high quality Nintendo games and that's what's important to us.If You want to know anything about Retro Studios, just play our games. . We would rather take the resources involved with making a website and hire a talented Designer, Artist or Engineer. You may also wonder why you don't hear much from or about us in the media. That's also intentional and for the very same reason. We only care about making great games. We like to lay low and under the radar. We are humble, modest and we work very, very hard to keep our fans surprised, happy and satisfied. That's all that matters to your friends at Retro Studios.

Mario Universe developed by Retro, it's confirmed. Wonder what EAD's Mario title is about then?

retro did tracks for mario kart 7

BECAUSE THEY'RE THE NEW MARIO KART TEAM

I would be surprised if Retro weren't helping make the upcoming Mario Kart on Wii U. Nintendo will probably want to utilize them again to hurry up and complete the game, just like the 3DS one. Or maybe EAD enjoyed working with them enough to make the next one with them.

Parallacs

I work a block away from Blizzard HQ.

If anyone wants, I can try to figure out why Diablo III was bad by looking through the bars surrounding the office.

I would be surprised if Retro weren't helping make the upcoming Mario Kart on Wii U. Nintendo will probably want to utilize them again to hurry up and complete the game, just like the 3DS one. Or maybe EAD enjoyed working with them enough to make the next one with them.

God i really hope they are not wasting there time making mario kart

DaBoss

Oh man, I remember I was reading this thread before I became a member, it was all kinds of weird. And I totally flipped out when I seen the pic of the security cam saying "Hi Gaf".

Please do. :)

A Story About Custom Robo

At our company, we often receive e-mails that say

"Aren't you going to make Custom Robo any more?"

Or, "I'm waiting for a new game"

Sometimes, we even receive them from overseas.

I'm grateful for this, as it has been over ten years since the first game was released.

Actually, Custom Robo V2 is available for download on the Wii Virtual Console, and

I'm surprised to find that each month it has been downloaded quite a few times.

When I speak with people from other companies,

I often hear, "It's such a waste to have such a good franchise and do nothing with it."

Regarding this series, it's just that we've already made 5 games,

and with the changes around the game industry,

I felt that it would be difficult to continue to create these games

exactly as they had been in the past. There were also more concrete problems.

Quite a bit of time has passed since "Rumble! Custom Robo" on the DS.

If this is something that the players of Custom Robo need,

then I do feel like I would like to revive the series.

I am already considering in what form we could use this important property.

Naturally, it comes up in conversation at work more often than not.

However, at this stage,

I cannot say when or in what form something will appear.

I would like to express my deep thanks for all the fans

who have graciously supported Custom Robo.

I hope that one day I will have something good to report for you.

So, kind of good news?

Rehynn

Retro's new game is about Nintendo Ninjas! Woah!

Probably the most awesome game that'll never happen.

Infiltrate Sony! Eliminate rogue graphic artist before he can post about unannounced games on a forum! Leave a pair of blood-stained stiletto boots in Hideki Kamiya's bed!

I doubt Retro is working on Mario Kart. Nintendo were probably just on a tight spot with the 3DS one, pushing the deadline forward to help the ailing handheld.

Anyway, you don't need an AAA studio like Retro for Mario Kart, since EAD's stance towards the series seems to be "it only needs to be decent."

I hope they're working on something far more ambitious.

Azure J

Retro, if you see this, StarTropics. Plzxthx

Nah, but being serious, I'm really excited to see what they've been cooking up. Feels like it's been forever since they last spoke out.

DaBoss

I need Metroid Prime 4. I've been replaying Metroid Prime Trilogy once every year (twice last year). Include Hypermode from the beginning.

noffles

Banned
Metroid Prime 4 would be a linear fuckfest unless it's essentially a 3D remake of Super Metroid. Retro just kept slipping with Metroid Prime and I don't want them to do it again.

DaBoss

Metroid Prime 4 would be a linear fuckfest unless it's essentially a 3D remake of Super Metroid. Retro just kept slipping with Metroid Prime and I don't want them to do it again.

Make it like Metroid Prime 2 (the best one) and it's easily gonna be good.

noffles

Banned
metroid prime 4 super linear like half-life 2 could be awesome.

Part of Metroid's appeal is that you're plopped in an open environment and have to work out where you're going and what to do. Linearity is part of why Fusion/Hunters/Other M aren't held up at the same height Super and Prime are. Fuck making it PROPER linear.

Just have Retro create a 2D Metroid with twin stick shooting control and Prime's weapon system. ie, no weapon stacking.

Retro, if you see this, StarTropics. Plzxthx

Nah, but being serious, I'm really excited to see what they've been cooking up. Feels like it's been forever since they last spoke out.

It's literally been 2 years and two months since we've heard anything from Retro.

Sandfox

Am I the only one who wants to see them work on a new Star Fox game? The staff they've picked up would be pretty interesting on it.

Also, does anyone know how big Retro is now? Are they able to handle more than one project at a time?

Top Bottom