• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circle (2015 film). Or how I miss IMDB messageboards for Every film.

Just watched Circle the 2015 film that's been on Netflix seemingly forever (well since 2015 I suppose..)

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3118452/

It's the kind of film that makes you want to look up about it on IMDB afterwards,scope out if the rather large cast ever did anything else of note and of course see the discussion forums.

Those forums were a real historical pillar of the internet. Its a shame they are gone. Always someone discussing every random film.

Anyway
the film itself, I guess a good few here have seen it. It's one of those high concept numbers: 50 people are in a room, one by one they die.
Then they figure out they are voting for each other.

Essentially it's a more lethal Weakest Link.

The casting director probably had her work cut out for her, but the set designer had an easy shoot.
5O red circles and some triangles and a black orb in the middle.

The entire film takes place in the room, so if you can't handle locked in episodes this is film of your nightmares. (After Buried, maybe.)

Honestly I quite enjoyed it, a few issues with some of the set up and initial reactions but it was nice to see a film and recognize only a single actor.

Anybody else check this film out?

Circle-Teaser-Poster.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
(Bumping because this was accidentally posted in Community and when I moved it to OT it was dropped off the first page)

Oreoleo

Don't have anything to say about the film, but the IMDB boards being closed was a travesty. What a boneheaded move that was.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought you were talking about The Circle, which I fucking hated. Umm, I do remember watching Circle on Netflix one night. I didn't expect much from it, and I have to say that it exceeded my expectations. I probably would've enjoyed it a little more if the ending was a tad bit more mysterious, but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

Brinbe

Yep. Circle was good. For a long while me and my buddies had fun mining Netflix for these stupid and messed up films like Cube and Would You Rather

It reminded me a lot of Cube. It's not a great movie, but it's impressive what they were able to accomplish with a small budget and a very limited setting.

TissueBox

Yeah I'm still ruffled about them discontinuing the IMDB boards... I try not to let out a sigh everytime I scroll down a TV/game/movie profile only to remember that no more pages of discussion, albeit periodically cringeworthy, are there to sink some extra time and rumination into. :/

JCHandsom

Eh, it was alright. Leaned a bit too far into stereotyping all the participants to push the themes (He's a rich guy! She's gay! He's a soldier! She's pregnant!) and the denouement moment was a bit flaccid. I did, however, really enjoy following the "game" aspect, with different people's strategies for staying alive longer. The final twist was really good in that regard.

Eh, it was alright. Leaned a bit too far into stereotyping all the participants to push the themes (He's a rich guy! She's gay! He's a soldier! She's pregnant!) and the denouement moment was a bit flaccid. I did, however, really enjoy following the "game" aspect, with different people's strategies for staying alive longer. The final twist was really good in that regard.

My thoughts as well. especially with the stereotyping. it was pretty obvious what the film was trying to do and it felt a little forced and lacked realistic nuance that would have helped the film be more memorable

~Kinggi~

Banned
IMDB forums were my go-to after watching a movie i had questions about. I mean overall it was a shit place but most of the top threads for each movie were the exact thing i was looking for. Seems ridiculous they removed them. Wonder if they considered it a legal liability or something.

Yeah, I sort of wish it was a comedy, because then the stereotyping would just make them Gilligan's Island characters.

DogDude

I stupidly watch absolute bottom of the barrel Netflix including this one.

Circle was an awesome surprise in a good way.

I haven't watched Circle, but I just wanted to add +1 to missing the IMDB message boards. I mostly watch old obscure films, and it was very often the only place to find anyone who had anything to say about those movies.

what was the actual reason for them closing them?
Toxic community.

IMDb Message Boards Announcement

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb's social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb's editors and one another. IMDb's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/imdb) and official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/imdb) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (https://www.snapchat.com/add/imdblive), Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/imdbofficial/), YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/imdb), and Tumblr (http://imdb.tumblr.com/).

Because IMDb's message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they'd like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

IMDb is passionately committed to providing innovative ways for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to enhance our current offerings and launch new features in 2017 and beyond that will help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities.

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

Arkeband

Banned
Some of the acting is godawful but I found it fairly entertaining. The ending is really bad and unnecessary though.

Fun movie with a premise I can't help but love. Tonally reminds me of Cube, Exam, Zero Escape games, etc. I dunno if I liked the ending and some of the people were silly but it was a pleasant surprise to discover while browsing Netflix.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yeah I'm still ruffled about them discontinuing the IMDB boards... I try not to let out a sigh everytime I scroll down a TV/game/movie profile only to remember that no more pages of discussion, albeit periodically cringeworthy, are there to sink some extra time and rumination into. :/

Same with me. It was great to discuss specific things about specific movies.

Kikujiro

I haven't watched Circle, but I just wanted to add +1 to missing the IMDB message boards. I mostly watch old obscure films, and it was very often the only place to find anyone who had anything to say about those movies.

100% true, it was great to watch an old movie and read the board about it, you could get a lot of interesting tidbits.

Preezy

I always used to go to the IMDB message boards to see if anyone else thought a particular actress was hot, particularly if they weren't well-known or in the background in the movie.

Good times.

mrkgoo

I watched this thought it was ok - interesting idea and gives you food for thought, especially the way it panned out. A lot of social commentary.

Top Bottom