• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tain
(04-21-2017, 04:42 AM)
wow yeah just tried 4p multi and it's awesome. I can't speak 100% but it seemed like a consistent 60fps.

Maybe a resolution drop as well? Can't tell. Only briefly tried, and only undocked.

Story mode definitely is not 60fps, though.
DecoReturns
Guys, Konami is being cool right now.

Quick, ask for Snake and Bomberman for Smash
MegaManTrigger
Looks like I'm wrong and there are some substantial improvements. Glad I got this for a good price at Game Center.
Rizific
(04-21-2017, 04:43 AM)
Interesting to see so many 180s on this game because of the framerate change. I thought 60fps only matters in competitive fps and racing games guys?
DeuceGamer
(04-21-2017, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

I think this game exceeded their expectations and with these types of updates I hope people that were considering it will now buy it. It's been on sale a couple times as well.
J@hranimo

Originally Posted by Rizific

Interesting to see so many 180s on this game because of the framerate change. I thought 60fps only matters in competitive fps and racing games guys?

Well that was one thing people complained about, there are some other fundamental changes that seem to fix most of the other issues.

I went from on the fence to nope at launch to will buy after this update. I'll finally have a 2nd physical Switch game!
UltraChingon
Wow battle mode is runs like butter...
I tip my hat to Konami i did not expect this level of support O.O
Now all i need is some team and item options and we got ourselfs a complete battle mode.
(More modes would be great but that would be getting greedy dont want konami to run out of stamina >.> )
Camjo-Z

It doesn't matter that much but it's always nice to have it regardless.
brad-t
(04-21-2017, 04:46 AM)

I think it's less about that particular detail and more about the devs showing they are committed to improving the title based on feedback.
NOLA_Gaffer
(04-21-2017, 04:47 AM)

This isn't a FPS but it's definitely a competitive game.
callhitman
(04-21-2017, 04:47 AM)
should a game that makes the right fixes like this get a re review.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(04-21-2017, 04:48 AM)
Bomberman is still a 2D game at heart, it needed to be 60fps.

2D games at 30fps are disgusting, they just feel off.
Liabe Brave
(04-21-2017, 04:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Thoraxes

It's better. Though I can't tell too much between the 45-60 range, I don't think it's exactly a locked 60 either but it's hella close now.

Video is processing now, but should be fully ready to go soonish. I just ran through 1-1 and 1-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INyqzyncbLM

Originally Posted by AcademicSaucer

Gamexplain video, they say that its 60 fps now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfwKkt6bYC8

The singleplayer Thoraxes posted varied between 47fps to 52fps at the various times I sampled it. The multiplayer from GameXplain ran at a solid 60fps wherever I checked.
shotgunbob04
The last time I looked into this game was a little after launch, with everyone complaining about how horrible the input lag was.

Now since it's for the most part been fixed, I'm considering getting it. Growing up, my older brother loved the N64 version and I'd love to show him this on the Switch.

I have Kamiko and MK8D next week though 😩.
Seik
something about preservation I guess

Bomberman pretty much always was 60fps, that's why there was an uproar about R.

It was also suffering of input delays offline and (worse) online, now offline feels waaay tighter, didn't try online yet though.

Considering that Bomberman is heavily dependant on movement and timing, the combination of 30fps and delays were legitimate complaints and very good reasons to be pissed at Konami for this game. I bought it and enjoyed it as it was at launch anyway, but these were real issues I dealt with and truly were a detriment to the standard Bomberman experience.
RedToad64
(04-21-2017, 04:50 AM)
I have been playing with this new patch. Without it, the game feels like a beta version - unfinished.

Having never been able to pass Magnet Bomber, I finally managed to squeeze by. He no longer constantly runs around the stage. It is nice that I can finally move on to World 2!

Additionally, I don't think it runs at a full 60FPS in multiplayer. Close, but not exactly. I'm no expert, though.
Dr. Black Jack
(04-21-2017, 04:50 AM)

Originally Posted by callhitman

should a game that makes the right fixes like this get a re review.

Yes, but no one will do it. They're too busy tripping over themselves to get a poorly researched hot take "review" before the next big game's embargo lifts.
Thoraxes
(04-21-2017, 04:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Liabe Brave

The singleplayer Thoraxes posted varied between 47fps to 52fps at the various times I sampled it. The multiplayer from GameXplain ran at a solid 60fps wherever I checked.

That seems to be a great compromise if they can't eventually get the SP up to snuff too. But the MP being 60 is a must (especially since those few miliseconds matter), and it getting there is great.
Pokemaniac
(04-21-2017, 04:53 AM)
It's definitely not a perfect 60, but they did get pretty close. Even with me just playing through the final boss of story mode just now, the drops seemed relatively minor.

Also, that credits theme caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting something quite that anime.
BitStyle
(04-21-2017, 04:55 AM)

Originally Posted by shotgunbob04

The last time I looked into this game was a little after launch, with everyone complaining about how horrible the input lag was.

Now since it's for the most part been fixed, I'm considering getting it. Growing up, my older brother loved the N64 version and I'd love to show him this on the Switch.

I have Kamiko and MK8D next week though 😩.

Damn, Kamiko comes out next week as well? Another expenditure
mstevens
Wasn't planning on picking this up ever, but I just ordered it on Best Buy and will pick it up tomorrow. Good job Konami.

Originally Posted by BitStyle

Damn, Kamiko comes out next week as well? Another expenditure

Super Bomberman R (new for me), Kamiko, MK8D, and Puyo Puyo Tetris. Ack.
Mr. Pointy
When's the DF video?
J@hranimo
(04-21-2017, 04:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Pointy

When's the DF video?

I tweeted them about this so hopefully tomorrow sometime.
Chucker
(04-21-2017, 04:57 AM)
Was literally going to sell this to go towards MK8. Good save, Konami.
Vinnk
(04-21-2017, 04:58 AM)
Can someone tell me more about these graphical downgrades you are seeing?

I was just playing this yesterday and comparing it to the new version I don't see what was downgraded.

Not saying I don't believe it, but I am not seeing it.
Luigiv
(04-21-2017, 05:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Pointy

When's the DF video?

When they have time? It's like 5am in the UK right now and I'm sure they've got plenty of other work on their table already. I'd give it a couple of days.
Camjo-Z
(04-21-2017, 05:01 AM)
Having spent plenty of time grinding for gems before the patch, I can safely say that the single-player has a noticeable framerate boost but it's not a solid 60. The multiplayer definitely is though.
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(04-21-2017, 05:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Vinnk

I was just playing this yesterday and comparing it to the new version I don't see what was downgraded.

Can't say I noticed it.

Surely DF will do a nice comparison pretty soon to clear it out.

When BOTW was patched and the framerate improved, there were people convinced that there were downgrades while the game was identical. :lol
CaLe
(04-21-2017, 05:03 AM)
Is the online multi fun? I have no friends.
Nanashrew
(04-21-2017, 05:04 AM)

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

It's 4/20, they're clearly high so now is the perfect chance!
Wired All Wrong
(04-21-2017, 05:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Vinnk

Seems a little blurrier than I remember it, but nothing major or anything. Might just be me seeing things. Only played multiplayer so far though.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(04-21-2017, 05:07 AM)
Multiplayer is without question downgraded visually but I think it's worth it.
So smooth.
Dr. Black Jack
(04-21-2017, 05:08 AM)

Originally Posted by CaLe

yes
DecoReturns
(04-21-2017, 05:10 AM)
Dang, wish it wasn't 50 bucks still.

Would buy it right now if it were a bit cheaper. Got Mario Kart 8 and Fire Emblem SE planned, already a chunk of money there
Regiruler
(04-21-2017, 05:11 AM)
I think they broke throw and punch by accident in online.
Mikaju
(04-21-2017, 05:21 AM)
Was this running 1080p on docked mode before? Doesnt seem like it anymore, not that I am complaining. Ill take framerate over resolution especially in Bomberman everytime.

Edit: Single player looks cleaner than multi. Will wait for df verdict.
Last edited by Mikaju; 04-21-2017 at 05:26 AM.
wanders
(04-21-2017, 05:26 AM)
Is there a way to stop the camera tracking and lock it in multiplayer? It looks nauseating in the videos
TheGreatMightyPoo
(04-21-2017, 05:28 AM)

Originally Posted by wanders

Is there a way to stop the camera tracking and lock it in multiplayer? It looks nauseating in the videos

Yes.
wanders
(04-21-2017, 05:28 AM)

Originally Posted by TheGreatMightyPoo

Yes.

Sold! Buying it with Mario kart next week
mstevens
(04-21-2017, 05:31 AM)

Originally Posted by TheGreatMightyPoo

Yes.

Another question. Is there a way to get pretty damn close to top down view for multiplayer? How about single player? I'm not a fan of the angled, isometric-like camera angle I've seen in some videos.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(04-21-2017, 05:39 AM)

Originally Posted by mstevens

Another question. Is there a way to get pretty damn close to top down view for multiplayer? How about single player? I'm not a fan of the angled, isometric-like camera angle I've seen in some videos.

Multiplayer is fine in that regard or close to what you want.
Singleplayer is locked to the funky camera view.
ridley182
aka Mister Chef
(04-21-2017, 05:41 AM)

Originally Posted by CaLe

I think it is an acquired taste, but personally I love it.
samred
(04-21-2017, 05:45 AM)
Definitely a resolution downgrade for multiplayer, with an intriguing (and not necessarily high-end) anti-aliasing solution going on. Resolution drop looks close to 720p in TV mode; dunno what we've got in handheld, but I would guess 540p. Looking forward to more analysis.

Considering how low-res the item pick-up icons are, and how everything else is pretty much flat or simple textures, it's the perfect trade-off. Surprised they didn't leave a toggle for "prefer resolution" or "prefer framerate," but I suppose leaving that out is Konami's tacit admission that Bomberman is just plain better in 60fps.

And, ye holy gods, is it better in 60fps. Multiplayer action is so much easier to follow. Plus, all the other stuff in the patch.

Single-player sticks with the same, higher resolutions as originally, only now with an unlocked framerate. It doesn't look THAT bad on the Switch portable screen, at least, but I wish they'd consider a resolution drop to reach 60fps in that mode, too.
Amalthea
let's dance all the way down to Jewish history-town
(04-21-2017, 05:47 AM)
Great stuff, ordered it now.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(04-21-2017, 05:49 AM)
Just ordered mine as well, feels good supporting a Bomberman game again.
jackal27
(04-21-2017, 05:51 AM)
Woah this is crazy. This is one of those games I'm sure I'll pick up on sale someday so this is good to know
Ginger Hail
(04-21-2017, 05:54 AM)
Glad to see they're serious about updating/improving the game. Will have to test it out tomorrow.
Chun-Li
(04-21-2017, 05:57 AM)
Story mode is so jarring now lol. Hopefully they can make that 60 too at some point.
killatopak
(04-21-2017, 05:59 AM)
Still $50

Yuck.
foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(04-21-2017, 06:03 AM)

Originally Posted by mstevens

Wasn't planning on picking this up ever, but I just ordered it on Best Buy and will pick it up tomorrow. Good job Konami.

Super Bomberman R (new for me), Kamiko, MK8D, and Puyo Puyo Tetris. Ack.

shit fuck, this is exactly my situation