• @NeoGAF

Arrrammis
(04-21-2017, 05:28 AM)
Seems legit
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(04-21-2017, 05:29 AM)

Originally Posted by aussiedude08

letting the kid play the extra 30 mins for pulling this shit is just going to let him think he can get away with more.

RPGam3r
(04-21-2017, 05:30 AM)
Part of me wants to think the parents should have gone all in. Force the kid to stay up all night, see how good that feels the next day.

As a parent I wouldn't do this, but part of me would want test it out. "Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for."
Kinsei
(04-21-2017, 05:32 AM)

letting the kid play the extra 30 mins for pulling this shit is just going to let him think he can get away with more.

Yep.
NewGame
(04-21-2017, 05:33 AM)
I predict a new neogaf account in several years.
Alter_Fridge
(04-21-2017, 05:35 AM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

You can't be serious

This is the kind of thing you praise your seven year old for being so hilariously clever, post it on Facebook so your in-laws can laugh about it, and then take the note out ten years from now for a light ribbing after he joins debate club

I properly clever 7 year old would at least go to some lengths to make it seem like a legit letter from the school. Like not making it look like it was written by a 7 year old for one
OfTheOverflow
(04-21-2017, 05:36 AM)
The only reason I believe this actually happened is because it didn't mention any specific product.
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(04-21-2017, 05:39 AM)

Originally Posted by wedca

Called low brow by a guy called poodaddy... now I've seen everything.

Had me laughing for a good while
My favorite post of the week
jett
D-Member
(04-21-2017, 05:41 AM)

Originally Posted by TheSpoiler

Because this is the Internet the parents made that note and nobody can tell me differently.

Honestly, I don't think seven year-olds aren't dumb enough to think this was going to work.
Colonel Mustard
(04-21-2017, 05:46 AM)

Originally Posted by LordKasual

This is so confusing

I wouldn't know whether to beat my kid's ass or give him a treat for the gall

Why would you ever consider hitting your kid for something like this?

I'd be laughing my ass off. Then I'd let them play more...but only allow them to play Ghosts and Goblins, Castlevania or Megaman 2. Tell them that if they really want a good grade in video game class, they need to gitgud.

Originally Posted by Chacranajxy

I honestly wonder what sort of soulless robot children some of these posters think they're going to raise.
Last edited by Colonel Mustard; 04-21-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Mik2121
Platinum Member
(04-21-2017, 05:50 AM)
If this was made by my daughter, I would probably tell her that lying is bad and that people will always spot you and call you a liar. Then I'd tell her the proposition was good though, and to just bring it as your opinion and not say the school did it.

Then I'd let her play some more because of the creativity and because she got good grades otherwise. And because kids are not simple-minded to think they will be able to get away with this always (and if they try, the second time just don't give them time to fully teach 'em).

People here saying their parents are rewarding the kid for lying... jeez. Maybe you should go, get a kid and try to raise it your way? Get the most boring kid on planet earth! ;) And the guy saying he wouldn't know whether to beat the kid... damn.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(04-21-2017, 05:50 AM)
I tried that excuse as well when i was a kid.

Didn't worked :(
BigDes
(04-21-2017, 05:53 AM)
That letter clearly came from the school.

Shame on you all from accusing the kids of nefarious behaviour

Shame on the parents as well, holding his academic studies back like this
TheEndOfItAll
(04-21-2017, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by kingofthedead45

Kids are so manipulative, where do they inherent it? Naturally?

Deception, believe it or not, is a normal part of childhood development.
Trojan
(04-21-2017, 06:45 AM)
School-related kids notes about video games are taking over Reddit
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(04-21-2017, 06:48 AM)
Wtf? They gave him time? My parents wouldve been like "HAHAHA NICE TRY KIDDO" and penalized me for trying to cheat them.
PooBone
(04-21-2017, 06:50 AM)
This is adorable.
blankslatenator
(04-21-2017, 06:52 AM)

Actually intro psychology says ages 4-10 are when kids are the most manipulative and self serving, also known as little shits.
nekkid
(04-21-2017, 06:55 AM)

Originally Posted by RPGam3r

Part of me wants to think the parents should have gone all in. Force the kid to stay up all night, see how good that feels the next day.

As a parent I wouldn't do this, but part of me would want test it out. "Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for."

Isn't that like "I want to see you smoke the whole pack" parenting?
StayDead
um wat
(04-21-2017, 06:55 AM)

Originally Posted by thetrin

Wtf? They gave him time? My parents wouldve been like "HAHAHA NICE TRY KIDDO" and penalized me for trying to cheat them.

yeah, but you never made your parents reddit famous so you probably deserved to be penalised.
30yearsofhurt
(04-21-2017, 07:09 AM)
Kid will be starting threads in off-topic in 2028 about how bad the job market is for people with no qualifications who didn't study in school.
eXistor
(04-21-2017, 07:11 AM)

Originally Posted by SargerusBR

I tried that excuse as well when i was a kid.

Didn't worked :(

I wonder why ;)
Kneefoil
(04-21-2017, 07:15 AM)
Wait, it was the kid who wrote the letter, and not the school?

He had me fooled. :/
fabricated backlash
(04-21-2017, 07:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Forsaken82

Kids begin testing parents at an incredibly early age. I am fairly positive there are documented case studies on the matter.

I see it with my nephew. Barely 14 months old, and manipulative as hell. Luckily he's still easy enough to distract.
Pepboy
(04-21-2017, 07:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Tripon

And it worked too.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/20/kid-f.../#TBYGwlGhCOqP

A 7 year old who knows how to write an ampersand... Okay, sure.
marmoka
(04-21-2017, 07:25 AM)

Agree. His mother didn't have to let him play not even a single extra second.
Yoshi
(04-21-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

If you are remotely serious about considering beating your kid's ass for having the initiative and interest to practice negotiation at a young age, it's a good indication you are probably not ready to have kids. :)

Do you want to raise your kid a Ferengi?

Joking aside, I definitely would not let the kid play extra long because he pretends school asked about it. I may be open about negotiation, but not about insincere negotiation.
Freshmaker
I am Korean.
(04-21-2017, 07:34 AM)
I would've shouted "CLICKBAIT!" at him and told him he should do schoolwork simply for the passion of it all rather than looking for rewards. Welcome to the real world jackass.

More likely I'd just start laughing at that note and explain to the kid why it didn't work.
Budi
(04-21-2017, 07:37 AM)

Originally Posted by darkwing

kids are so spoiled these days, back in our time, no TV, no anything if school days

What was "our" time? Time before there were TV:s? In my time, which would be after 1984, we had TV and Videogames to help the kids (like me!) learn and develop.
the_batman
(04-21-2017, 07:40 AM)
people will say the kid is smart, but you have to be dumb to think a parent would fall for that.
aett
(04-21-2017, 07:55 AM)
I can see my six year old trying this. If he does well in class, he gets a note on a pink card - so he asked us for a ream of pink paper for Easter. And lately, every night when I tell him it's bedtime, he asks WHY is it bedtime and sometimes grumbles "why do you have to ruin my fun by telling me it's bedtime" or "I hate bedtime".
SpeedOfNuts
(04-21-2017, 08:06 AM)
I find it a very poor attempt to be honest. I do remember a time around the same age a kid in my class got a note from our teacher for his bad behaviour, which he had to return signed by his parents. He signed it himself and obviously got caught. I totally remember thinking how stupid and reckless a move that was.

That was faking a signature, nevermind writting a full letter with a pencil... At 7 at the very least you should understand your handwritting is not like that of the adults, or that this paper doesn't look at all like a school document, or even that whole videogame class thing... come on son.
Last edited by SpeedOfNuts; 04-21-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Earthpainting
Knows which side
the bread is buttered on.
(04-21-2017, 08:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Hycran

If he was really that clever he would have printed the note on the computer instead of in his own crummy handwriting.

That is to say, some adults do have handwriting like that, but probably not 2nd grade teachers.

And compromise his already-limited computer time? Madness.

I'm sure the kid did a cost-benefit analysis, and deduced that the crummier and faker the letter looked, the more the parents would be endeared and distracted by its social media potential. A typed letter would not look as adorable, and he probably would have had to up the spelling and grammatical mistakes to compensate. That in turn could have jeopardised the entire operation. It might give off the impression that he needs to focus more on his studies, rather than increase his game time. This kid was clearly thinking a few steps ahead.
The Illiterati
(04-21-2017, 08:22 AM)
Buy him a cat. That'll shut that down real quick. He'll be in bed every night, even on the weekends.
Markoman
(04-21-2017, 08:33 AM)
Cute, but obviously fake. I'm 8 years old, so I should know better.
Usobuko
(04-21-2017, 08:47 AM)
I'll be disappointed.

At 7 years, you should at the very least know this is not going to convincing. Kid need to step up to the game.
Murkas
(04-21-2017, 08:47 AM)
Gotta lie for those meaningless internet points.
UberTag
(04-21-2017, 08:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Why would you do that?

I'm impressed with his ampersand. I don't know anyone that can actually write one correctly the first time.

Yeah, the ampersand usage stood out as impressive. Kid's got promise.
ChouGoku
(04-21-2017, 08:58 AM)

Animals do it too, no? When I have food around my dog all of a sudden becomes so needy looking.
ramparter
(04-21-2017, 09:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Tripon

And it worked too.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/20/kid-f.../#TBYGwlGhCOqP

Much better fake than this:

I would gladly reward my kids - if I ever have - for their creativity.
Meciu
(04-21-2017, 09:11 AM)
From... The school. What a kid! :D lol
rec0ded1
(04-21-2017, 09:16 AM)
Rewarded for fraud.
Moose Biscuits
(04-21-2017, 09:22 AM)
Kids were a mistake.
halfbeast
(04-21-2017, 09:23 AM)
yeah, would be a cute story, if it were true. I just can't believe it. the fact he used a "&" at the age of 7, makes me suspicious.

not to mention that his punctuation is on a higher level than gaf.
Devilgunman
(04-21-2017, 09:27 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

If you are remotely serious about considering beating your kid's ass for having the initiative and interest to practice negotiation at a young age, it's a good indication you are probably not ready to have kids. :)

I'm not sure that letter qualifies as negotiation practicing. It's straight up lying and manipulating. I don't know about your family but in my family with 4 kids lying in the last thing we tolerate. We always give them a chance to explain themselves when they misbehave but if they pull something like this they will definitely be grounded.
petran79
(04-21-2017, 09:30 AM)

Originally Posted by halfbeast

yeah, would be a cute story, if it were true. I just can't believe it. the fact he used a "&" at the age of 7, makes me suspicious.

not to mention that his punctuation is on a higher level than gaf.

Probably some older kid at school recited that text and he wrote it down
CJCW
(04-21-2017, 09:36 AM)
My parents would've grounded my ass for trying to pull something like this. Then I'd really miss out on gaming time.

Also some people are taking obvious joke posts a little too seriously in here.
Podge293
(04-21-2017, 09:38 AM)

Originally Posted by TimeEffect

You guys have no idea what kind of crap people lie about to get to the front page on reddit.

He also spelled everything perfect except for electronics. I can't help but think it's fake lol

People wouldn't lie on the internet? What are you some sort of monster????
Brandon F
(04-21-2017, 09:38 AM)

Picture of the child in question.
slider
(04-21-2017, 09:47 AM)
I remember the first time my kid lied to me. It was about washing his hands after going to the loo! He was three; felt too early!