• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you guys put off by patriotism in movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SvCgLs.gif

edit: Way beaten.

i am fine with it. ive made my peace w nationalism. having to say the pledge of allegiance every day in school does wonders for your view of "freedom".

imo most movies/tv/media is patriotic/nationalistic/propaganda to varying degrees even if not blatant about it. see the preference of showing violence vs sex in US media. as for stuff like Transformers, i don't really care, cos i bought the ticket to watch that, i already know what to expect. ditto for whatever sniper or terrorist-hunting filler clogs up the theater and tv, only in those cases i don't go cos it's done w a straight face and i only take Peace seriously.

maybe i'm fine with patriotism as long as it is OTT and campy. recently had a chance to see Chuck Norris's "Invasion USA" and while politically it was horribly xenophobic and violent, it was as a film completely fucking insane and an absolute joy to behold that I would watch again in a heartbeat.

DrSlek

The line between patriotism and propaganda is often blurred in movies. I find myself rolling my eyes more often than not.

I really liked The Wind that Shakes the Barley, as well, a fairly unabashed Patriotically Irish movie.
I think that might be one of the last ways I'd ever describe The Wind though- one of the best facets of that narrative is how the rebellion eventually commits the same sins it rages against and that only misery, bloodshed, and blind hatred overruled justice.

Best joke ever written about this very topic: Grand Theft Auto Vice City's radio commercial for EXPLODER

Asian child voice actor: You taught me baseball Tim- and how to laugh!

Black_Sun

As an American, I find the American patriotism displayed in movies to be obnoxious and disturbing especially when you research the huge bullshit we've been pulling in the last century and in lieu of our recent election.

Our country is shit right now. Let's critique what our country has done and learn to fix it not smooth over and glorify a country as messed up and corrupt as ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom