• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Kyoufu

I don't know why anyone would be concerned about COMG numbers for MHW. Pre-orders started a few days ago. Now is not the time for fear.

That comes later

Mario 3d

Super mario odyssey switch:
ComG! preorders(33 days left): 59 pt

Super mario 3d world wii u:

ComG! preorders (last day): 66 pt
First week (famitsu): 106.967
LTD: 613.693

Super mario 3d land 3ds:
ComG! preorders (last day): 262 pt
First week: 344.698
LTD: 2.111.490

Super mario galaxy 2 wii:

ComG! preorders (last day): 313 pt
First week: 337.569
LTD: 1.046.696

Super mario galaxy wii:

ComG! preorders (last day): 201 pt
First week: 256.341
LTD: 1.025.664

Super mario sunshine gc:
First week: 280.610
LTD: 789.989

Super mario 64 n64:
First week: 162.111
LTD: 1.646.558

Best ComG! preorders: Super mario galaxy 2 wii

Best first week: Super mario 3d land 3ds

Best LTD: Super mario 3d land 3ds

Mory Dunz

I don't think that's true of Nintendo's games apart from maybe Zelda.

It wasn't a common belief that MK8D would match and surpass MK8 (people thought the switch would bomb in general), so that's one.

Then Zelda is a maybe.

Snipperclips is 1st party.

that's about it

when mk8d was first announced, you don't remember people questioning it?

And then we had LTD predictions of between GC and N64 for total HW, so yeah people didn't think it'd match MK8.

It applies less to MC threads at least.
Wasn't that during the "Switch will bomb phase"?

I think after the successful launch, many believed it would outsell MK 8 Wii U. I could be forgetting, but I did believe it would outsell the Wii U version eventually. Hooray for me I guess.

Mario 3d

Super mario odyssey switch:
ComG! preorders(33 days left): 59 pt

Super mario 3d world wii u:

ComG! preorders (last day): 66 pt
First week (famitsu): 106.967
LTD: 613.693

Super mario 3d land 3ds:
ComG! preorders (last day): 262 pt
First week: 344.698
LTD: 2.111.490

Super mario galaxy 2 wii:

ComG! preorders (last day): 313 pt
First week: 337.569
LTD: 1.046.696

Super mario galaxy wii:

ComG! preorders (last day): 201 pt
First week: 256.341
LTD: 1.025.664

Super mario sunshine gc:
First week: 280.610
LTD: 789.989

Super mario 64 n64:
First week: 162.111
LTD: 1.646.558

Best ComG! preorders: Super mario galaxy 2 wii

Best first week: Super mario 3d land 3ds

Best LTD: Super mario 3d land 3ds

Oh man, SM3DLU...

Sandfox

And then we had LTD predictions of between GC and N64 for total HW, so yeah people didn't think it'd match MK8.

There were arguments in the MC threads that MK8D would sell relatively poor and not be a system seller.

I think the point is that only post-Switch launch predictions count (for all games other than BOTW).

I think Mario Kart 8 deluxe was expected to outsell the original eventually, but I don't think many people had it outpacing it within such a short amount of time.

duckroll

There were arguments in the MC threads that MK8D would sell relatively poor and not be a system seller.

There are arguments about every possible position for a title, that's what people do, they debate. That someone made a position on something says nothing. It is absolutely not true that Mario Kart 8 performing poorly on Switch was a "common belief" by the time it was actually coming out.

Jezan

It's not a series that generally appeals to japan. Overall the most "realistic" in both style and just in general. At least compared to every other nintendo series. Explorative, atmospheric gameplay also isn't something that is really a big appeal to japan.
And the most japanese Metroid was panned by the critics worldwide and didn't beat Fusion (maybe Fusion is the right japanese Metroid but still not western enough). Nintendo should just focus on doing it a western series (but not as western as Corruption) which I think Samus Return is doing part of and Prime 4 will be it.

Mory Dunz

There are arguments about every possible position for a title, that's what people do, they debate. That someone made a position on something says nothing. It is absolutely not true that Mario Kart 8 performing poorly on Switch was a "common belief" by the time it was actually coming out.

good thing no one said that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looks like DQX Switch didn't do bad, given the status of the release.

what numbers are you looking at?
or is this based on the retail charts?

just to understand.

Btw, disappointed by FE predictions, I expected more. The Switch games that for a reason or another don't set the chart on fire are piling up

fortunato

Banned
what numbers are you looking at?
or is this based on the retail charts?

just to understand.

COMGnet weekly rankings.

Btw, disappointed by FE predictions, I expected more. The Switch games that for a reason or another don't set the chart on fire are piling up

Which other Switch game is not "setting the chart on fire"?

If you're suggesting that Switch might poison software releases, I think you're wrong. Switch games are selling well, and even small releases perform more than expected. FE Warriors will underperform for all reasons but hardware (n3DS version seems also DOA).

KtSlime

Btw, disappointed by FE predictions, I expected more. The games not named Splatoon 2 or Dragon Quest that for some reason or another don't set the chart on fire are piling up

Fixed that for you. Or do you have a different meaning of set the chart on fire?

FEW will 'flop' because of its character roster and marketing, not because of the Switch/its audience. People wanted a more diverse line-up. The Lyn reveal was just damage control; my hype and the hype of many others was already down to zero at that point.

It's such a shame as the concept of a Fire Emblem Warriors game has the potential to do 100k+ FW on the currect Switch + New 3DS install base.

Zedark

FEW will 'flop' because of its character roster and marketing, not because of the Switch/its audience. People wanted a more diverse line-up. The Lyn reveal was just damage control; my hype and the hype of many others was already down to zero at that point.

It's such a shame as the concept of a Fire Emblem Warriors game has the potential to do 100k+ FW on the currect Switch + New 3DS install base.
Same. I feel this game should have been aimed at the hardcore FE fans, as that was always going to be the audience interested, instead of trying to appeal to the new audience by using only thr newest games and Shadow Dragon. I would have been much more interested if Seth, Ephraim, Ike, Titania and other older characters would have been included.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
COMGnet weekly rankings.

Which other Switch game is not "setting the chart on fire"?

If you're suggesting that Switch might poison software releases, I think you're wrong. Switch games are selling well, and even small releases perform more than expected. FE Warriors will underperform for all reasons but hardware (n3DS version seems also DOA).

Fixed that for you. Or do you have a different meaning of set the chart on fire?

No, no poison, simply disappointing projects so far, imho.
For such a successfull console there have been many very weak titles so far
I hoped that FE being KT + Nintendo would have seen better numbers

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Judging by the first impressions from the uk incoming MVC: I Megabomb worldwide. I'm astounded by the continued incompetence on display.

Judging by the first impressions from the uk incoming MVC: I Megabomb worldwide. I'm astounded by the continued incompetence on display.

It's a good thing MHW releases in January as they will have months to make up for that 10m unit projection lmao.

Capcom aint shit. Shame because my fighting game friends love Infinite thus far.

test_account

XP-39C²
Preorders at Comgnet are pretty in line with SMO which is not going to open over 500k.
I understand. It doesnt work like that though. Otherwise we could say that Gran Turismo Sports would open at maybe 600k-800k because it got about twice as many points as Super Mario Odyssey. These numbers (MHW and SMO in particular) will continue to grow. SMO is about a month away from release, MHW is about 4 months away from release.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Has it? Thought it was at least 1.5-2 years between every release if we ignore the ports

There's been 5 mainline (including g/x etc) monster hunters in the 3DS 6 year lifespan. If you remove the time from launch until 3G launch that's a monster every 1-1.5 years since it first released on the system.

Man, ya'll lying to yourselves if you really think the game doesn't already have almost all of the most popular characters in the series right now. The only glaring omissions are Ike and Tharja. If the game doesn't sell with this roster, it wouldn't have sold with any roster.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Turns out USF2 beat Marvel in the UK first week. Looks like we have a race on. It'll be the one to watch in the coming months.

I understand. It doesnt work like that though. Otherwise we could say that Gran Turismo Sports would open at maybe 600k-800k because it got about twice as many points as Super Mario Odyssey. These numbers (MHW and SMO in particular) will continue to grow. SMO is about a month away from release, MHW is about 4 months away from release.

My point is that big games like pokemon USUM do >80 points on its first day avaliable to preorder, it doesn't matter if they are 2, 3 or 4 months away from release, and MHW, just like SMO and other <500k titles opened at 20, comg points are just anecdotal- i just don't see big expectation for the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Has Capcom any games planned for Post April 2018...we know that REmake2 is happening and the MHW PC Port as well... Anything else?

Has Capcom any games planned for Post April 2018...we know that REmake2 is happening and the MHW PC Port as well... Anything else?

No, most of their larger named upcoming games happen before March according to the last document, we should know what else they plan when the next one happens in the next month

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No, most of their larger named upcoming games happen before March according to the last document, we should know what else they plan when the next one happens in the next month
Makes sense they want a focus on everything hitting this fiscal year with MvC, RE Gold, Okami and MHW.

Interested to see the final results.

Man, ya'll lying to yourselves if you really think the game doesn't already have almost all of the most popular characters in the series right now. The only glaring omissions are Ike and Tharja. If the game doesn't sell with this roster, it wouldn't have sold with any roster.

'Most popular characters' =/= 'Characters from the best-selling games'

Spin-offs are more likely bought by the core fans of a series. People who bought every game in the series are more likely to buy FEW than someone who bought FE Awakening or Fates because it was available at a discount. So the target audience of FEW should be 'the core FE fan'.

Regardless of whether this core fan has played all games since the NES days or only stepped in with Awakening, a 'core fan' is interested to know, learn, and play more and to experience more of the series' atmosphere, history, and characters. They can buy Virtual Console releases of old games for example. FEW in itself could be an excellent way for that group of people to get to know classic characters from older games. That's what spin-offs are for: enriching the experience and lore of the series for the core fans. They may be smaller in number, but they're more likely to buy the game.

Take a look at Fire Emblem Heroes. It only had 10 million downloads, which is pretty low, but it still was making tons of money, because a relatively high percentage of its player base was putting money in it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Preorder points for SMO and MHW are not really comparable. Imo the more interesting comparison will be which game has the higher LTD.

Uuuuh, for those games to cross sales streams, we would need one to slightly overperform and the other to underperform pretty bad, don't we?

Turns out USF2 beat Marvel in the UK first week. Looks like we have a race on. It'll be the one to watch in the coming months.

uuh...wow

fortunato

Banned
Preorders at Comgnet are pretty in line with SMO which is not going to open over 500k.

SMO FW will hardly matter. It's releasing just before the holiday season. It'll be a million seller by the end of the year.

No, no poison, simply disappointing projects so far, imho.
For such a successfull console there have been many very weak titles so far
I hoped that FE being KT + Nintendo would have seen better numbers

I fail to see which Switch projects did fail to meet expectations or disappoint other than, perhaps, FE Warriors (which has yet to release btw).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
SMO FW will hardly matter. It's releasing just before the holiday season. It'll be a million seller by the end of the year.

I fail to see which Switch projects did fail to meet expectations or disappoint other than, perhaps, FE Warriors (which has yet to release btw).

disappointing projects =/= disappointing sales compared to the project itself
we have a console that was able to manage many hw units in a short period of time. we have some game with significant sales (Zelda, Splatoon, Kart, even Arms) but if you look at the global software sales we have very few games over 100k and many below 50k
this isn't a switch-poison effect (like, at all), but a picture of the actual software situation
very few significant software have been released for the platform so far

I was expecting FE Warriors to not be one of them, but it seems it will be.

Top Bottom