• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

Fireblend

Banned
Almost done with my review of the game, but.. I wanted to check in with the other people who have been reviewing the game.

Okay.
I beat the game and I have 100% in every area, all 42 artifacts, and the "Coin of Heaven & Hell." But does anyone have any clue on how to access the area it mentions? It's clue is "Close to the Peak of Solitude. A howling desert embrace. Take to the skies to seal your fate. In a strange and wonderful place." I've pretty much jumped and floated off over everything, but I suppose I have to go into the sandstorm? I dunno. Something doesn't seem to be activating.
Can you comment on how much time it took you to reach that point?

Coxy100

Banned
That's cool. For a game that looks so good on the Switch it's odd they chose such an ugly icon to begin with.

My thinking too. I'm so glad they're changing it - but why design it in the first place like that? Ugh.

Can't wait to buy this when I get home tonight.

maxmars

This is SO good! They really nailed the movement / jumping / actions. Even the tutorial is fun to play, just going around jumping and interacting with the map.

After the first "boss" I'm getting 2d Metroid vibes. Can't wait to get home and play more.

Hold on, they've removed the procedural generation? The original Steamworld Dig was one of the few games that were procedural which I actually had no problem with, but more handcrafted levels are even better. Might have to get this now.

Well, I've essentially finished all my work for today and have 8 more hours to kill until I can go home. Dig 2 seems like a perfect way to make the hours fly by.

Switch's year-1 is legendary.

shtolky

I am trying to download this from the eshop web browser but the option to buy digital isn't up yet. Any reason why this might be?

AEREC

Kinda want to play this instead of Metroid at the moment as Metroid is a little on the boring side for me which is weird.

harz-marz

Never played the original and this has been a surprise treat! Played most of the day on and off, really love the art style. The digging is addicting!

Excellent game so far, I don't know why people are saying this is much better than the original, I feel it's very similar.

I'm having a great time with it while I wait for Thimbleweed Park to drop later today.

What.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...............

VanWinkle

Can't wait to buy this after work. It's weird. I really dislike games like to Terraria and Minecraft, but I would find myself digging around everywhere on the first game. I guess it's just because I like the gameplay surrounding it way more, though.

Shahadan

Link to the review thread is broken in the OP btw

I went to the eshop to buy Thimbleweed Park and figured I'd buy this at the same time since I hadn't really planned to eat anyway
Thimbleweed Park has the better icon though

Jb

I feel like the overall pacing is much better than in the first game. In that one i kinda got bored fairly early on but here you're constantly running into optional caves that are built around a neat idea. I could be misremembering but the speed with which you acquire new upgrades seems better as well.

mazillion

Penny Kettlebottom being placed right next to the ladder between the mine and the place to sell ore is kinda annoying. I keep accidentally talking to her when I am trying to climb the ladder. Otherwise this game is amazing, the gameplay loop is so addictive.

1upsuper

I got the first Dig from a humble bundle IIRC and it didn't thrill me. The responses here are making he consider getting this one though.

Well if it's like the original, I will restart the game immediately after I beat it.

About an hour's worth of play so far and it certainly makes me feel like I will.

Nice Cesare avatar.

Fliesen

oh god, those first 5 minutes of flying blind (because no mini map) were killing me.

Also, having just repaired my lamp i'm already doing side stuff and ignoring the main questline ...

the game feels so good.

Before I buy it, does this game have any technical issues on the Switch? I hope it runs 1080p docked, 720p handheld at locked 60FPS. If not, I'll just go for PC version.

phanphare

Banned
I just spent over 2 hours with the game and boy is it amazing. It's impossible to put down. I just want to keep digging.

Just make sure to turn of the marker on the map so you're not pointed in the right direction. It's so much more satisfying to go digging by yourself.

how do you do this? I couldn't find it in the settings anywhere

edit: nvm found it

The Wart

The only thing not excellent about this game is the icon. Digging is as addictive as ever, and they've really upped the complexity of the platforming and puzzle aspects.

Meffer

The upgrade cogs system is fantastic. The fact they're not permanent really makes your choices flexible depending how you play.

phanphare

Banned
this game controls like a dream. I played through about half of the first one and I don't remember it feeling this satisfying to move around. maybe that was because of the actual 3DS, I don't know. but this game feels so damn good. the movement is nice and weighty and the controls are precise. loving this game so far. already found 2 challenge rooms.

The town music is absolutely amazing. Also
this game is probably going to lead into steamworld heist, what with the rocketeers and the anti science (totally not trumpbot)
mayor provoking tremors.

pswii60

Enjoying it so far, a massive improvement over the first game right from the start.

But my word, it has the worst Switch home menu icon of any game yet.

Naar

I never understood the hype with the first dig. It was so average for me.

But then I got heist, because I like strategy games and also got to know the devs who happen to be wonderful people, and it was so much better than not only dig, but other games in it's genre.

So I decided to give dig 2 a chance because honestly it looked improved over the original, but it's way better than the original and so much fun to play.

It's almost as if dig 1 was a prototype and dig 2 is the actual game after feedback

Top Bottom