• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a pic, your favorite multiplayer map of all time (and describe why)

Foundry, a DLC map for Halo 3.

TunHSty.jpg

Halo 3 shipped with Forge mode, a tool for custom games. It allowed you to go into multiplayer maps and do things like place or delete weapons and vehicles, move spawnpoints and objective zones around, and maybe add a crate or barricade here and there. However, with the first set of DLC maps, Foundry was released. Foundry was made entirely out of objects that could be manipulated in forge mode. While it came with a default configuration, you could remove all walls, buildings and other geometry and be left with the empty room pictured above, a blank canvas.. a map editor!

Forge mode clearly was never made for full-on map editing, so the actual process of making maps was cumbersome. Placing objects was finicky, creating smooth surfaces required tricking the game into unloading objects, and the industrial color palette of Foundry made it hard to make a good looking result. However, the Halo community perservered and made countless of awesome, creative, and sometimes against-all-odds beautiful maps. I wish I could show examples, but none of the forgehub.com pages of my favorite maps have functioning images anymore..

Foundry was eventually succeeded by Sandbox in a later DLC pack and Forge World in Halo: Reach, but Foundry still has a special place in my heart. It awakened an appreciation for map and game design, and indirectly is the reason I'm studying to become a game developer today!

EDIT: Here's a good video showcase of some of the best forge maps from Halo 3. Not all of them are on Foundry, only those that look like they've been made entirely out of ugly metal boxes and walls (because they are).

Unreal Tournament's CTF Lava Giant. Lava Giant required a decent number of people to really be engaging, but it allowed complex team tactics and an endless amount of variety to a team's (and flag runner's) playstyle. The open nature of the bases meant that defenses had to be sharp, as flag returns on this map weren't easy at high level play.

Also UT's CTF November. This map is almost the opposite of Lava Giant, featuring closed, winding asymmetrical bases that were close together. But it created really intense matches and required flag runners to be good at DM and be flawless in movement. It also required teams working very well together; this is not a map at high level play where a superstar flag runner could just get easy caps due to the amount of choke points and the dominance of flak and rocket use. One of those maps that I never tired of playing though.
latest

Syf

Banned
That's a good one, and I like seeing some SC2 maps posted here. I also have found memories of Overgrowth:
Also a good pick :)

Some maps just create good games. Overgrowth was one of them for sure. Remember watching loads of pro games on it.

Neith

Banned
Holy shit, I haven't played this game in years. Absolutely awesome game, so fun go mess around in. Vote goes for this too.

Map was great in Zones and general CTF where you didn't have the islands. Amazing battles here. Even on defense scrubbed to the last inch of your base you had a chance to keep the flag in there if you were good.

For Warhawk I also have a couple others tied for favorite.

BF1 has some really great maps in there too that I absolutely enjoy.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
As a big fan of attack/defense modes and Halo, I love Zanzibar/Last Resort.

That's probably #2 for me behind my #1:

latest

Halo 2
Headlong
Big Team Battle
One-bomb assault

This is the most perfect map for a single game mode that I've ever played. It truly gives both the offensive and defensive teams an entire playground of options to tackle the round, and yet it's all effective, all fair, and all intense.

Pure bliss. I would gladly pay $60 for just one-bomb assault on Headlong from Halo 2 on Live. It's my favorite mode of my favorite multiplayer game ever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Guardian from Halo 3. Inspired by already great maps from Halo 2, it has a great layout with plenty of verticality and a perfect variety of weapons at your disposal to use. It's just an ideal Halo map.

The aesthetic was so goddamn good.

Crayolan

I like Dustbowl. I know, I'm trash.
400px-Dustbowl_s2c1.jpg

Specifically Dustbowl 2. Playing Red Spy on that map is heaven.

Dustbowl 3 is pretty fun too (if you're on red lol), Dustbowl 1 sucks though.

nobody posted the goat

yicPnab.jpg

you're slippin' gaf

This is the correct Splatoon choice though.

vern

Goldeneye - the facility

Proximity mines and split screen and endless fun with friends. Shame what happened to multiplayer games and the rise of online shooters.

Ploid 3.0

Crossroads in Socom 2. Because it's Crossroads in.. ok ok, it's well balanced and there's so many cool ways the match could go down.

NUxmp5g.jpg

Foxxsoxx

Spies vs. Mercs had some very interesting maps. It was always tense sneaking around hiding from the Mercs (or the other way around, being the Merc and never knowing where the spies were), and I loved the atmosphere in Aquarius in particular. Always dark and mysterious.

Oh my God I miss spies vs mercs so bad.

That hospital map and theater map were fucking ace.

MAP01.png

BOB10.WAD some knew it as a map in the bigger map pack by DWELLER.
Taught me everything about how to make a deathmatch map. Ultimately inspired my career.

Please for the love of shit include the name of the game and the map.

Like this. This looks cool but I can't figure out what it is since the url has no clues and I've never had luck with reverse image search.

That's Sandtrap from Halo 3, great map. The Elephants were really cool because they were mobile platforms that held objectives (like flags for CTF) that could be driven around the outer circles of the map, as well as through one cross section. It made for some super interesting encounters.

Smash Bros - Final Destination

Halo CE - Blood Gulch
Halo CE - Hang em’ High
Halo 2- Lockout
Halo 3 - The Pit
Halo 4/5 - Mercy/Haven

CS - Dust 2

UT - Facing Worlds
UT2K4 - Tokara Forest

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark - Complex
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark - Temple

FiveSide

Banned
9a0d860ec17d04706ec03c644a41dd73.jpg

Radar Field, Lost Planet.

I spent two years with a few of my buds playing Rifle, Radar Field. Pretty much every day.

Not Lost Planet multiplayer as a whole. Literally just Rifle, Radar Field.

I've played plenty of multiplayer games, but there was something about how Lost Planet controlled; the gunplay; the specific way you shot the Rifle; and the layout of Radar Field; that ended up being magical.

Eventually you would get in a rolling match with someone and it would be intense as hell. It looked stupid, but it was insanely satisfying to roll in circles around each other for like a minute and finally get the headshot.

Reflection/Ivory Tower, Halo

One of my favorite indoor maps in Halo. Despite being indoors, it offers a lot of in terms of space, verticality and different passages.
Reflection is still the prettiest map in the entire series. Never got tired of playing it.

BIGWORM

A lot of people should recognize this overview of Blood Gulch from the start. Fall of 2004, right before the release of Halo 2, friends and I decided to LAN Halo (which we did almost every weekend until the dawn, damn near). Full 8v8 CTF (lots of hardware back in the day) and this map popped into the rotation. I think it was first to 5 caps, IIRC.

...those 5 caps took roughly 2 hours.

Holy shit. My mind couldn't fathom how mentally exhausting that game was. So much sniping, so much zoomed hand cannon, strategy being improvised and then subsequently blown up. The most memorable MP play I've ever had.

>:)

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - Battery
lIn4Rnj.jpg

Although Oasis is the superior map, nothing beats having a nazi come down to the beach, steal his uniform as a Covert Ops, sneak around the back with an Engineer to blow the cannon up. The sheer panic as nazi's rush in trying to disfuse it, as you and the engy prevent that from happening is a rush you don't get from a lot of games these days. And then the salt that follows is always the best.

Top Bottom