• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

My interest has grown for this game during this past week, as well as for Rust. Hence, the question; Help me decide between the two.

Can someone break down the two games for me and help me decide? It's unfortunate that PlayerUnknown's has a whopping $30 dollar price tag. I think it's a bit much to ask for a game in early access. Rust on the hand is selling for $10 this summer sale. So i can't get both at this time. Visually i'm more leaning towards Rust, but i'm more concerned about which one is the better game of the two?

Well, they are different so it's hard to say but PUBG has grabbed me unlike any online shooter since Socom/Counter-Strike. The level of nervousness takes me back to playing Game battles Socom 2 matches. The best part is with 50 hours in I have never been pissed off when I died. It's amazing.

I'm tempted to get this game in, say, two weeks or so.

How are the servers and general performance? Would probably wait to jump in if these aren't good enough yet due to EA status.

Najaf

Some of the best players in the game are teamed up right now. Viss, Smak, Halifax and Marius are teamed. Incredible play.

https://www.twitch.tv/halifax

Viss and Smak are the first two PUBG players to be brought onto Team Solo Mid.

edit: Halifax and Marius are playing first person despite it being 3rd person ranked to practice for the upcoming Curse Trials PUBG first person tournament. https://t.co/JLtSpdwVob

SomTervo

My interest has grown for this game during this past week, as well as for Rust. Hence, the question; Help me decide between the two.

Can someone break down the two games for me and help me decide? It's unfortunate that PlayerUnknown's has a whopping $30 dollar price tag. I think it's a bit much to ask for a game in early access. Rust on the hand is selling for $10 this summer sale. So i can't get both at this time. Visually i'm more leaning towards Rust, but i'm more concerned about which one is the better game of the two?

They are incredibly different, but evidently excellent.

I think a big clincher would be what kind of gameplay you like.

Rust = more survival, 'minecrafty', survivalism, long-term building and surviving and conflict between players and then losing progress (your bases/resources) - over the span of weeks

PUBG = tactical shooter, think SOCOM with 100 people on one map, focus on gun combat, positioning, movement across a pre-set very large map that you can't influence

How are the servers and general performance? Would probably wait to jump in if these aren't good enough yet due to EA status.

Servers seem very good atm, I've not had a single problem with 22+ hours of play.

Performance? For me it's good on the whole. I have a decent rig though, got a 1080 @ factory, i5 4690k @ factory and 16 of RAM - others have complaints.

I know someone who has an i7, a GTX 770 and a bunch of RAM - in combat he's dipping to 20FPS

I also have about 500 hours on Rust.

Rust is gather materials, build elaborate bases all while trying to survive in a brutal open world PVP island. Gank squads outfitted with gear you won't have for a long time. People breaking into your base overnight while you sleep etc. It's a great experience but very time consuming and tough to go solo. There is all kinds of modded servers though in case you want to just build or something.

PUBG is jumping off a plane with nothing trying to find weapons, armor while making it to the end vs 100 people while the map shrinks in size till the last few survivors are battling it out in a tiny area.

Both very different but good experience.

Tagyhag

Some of the best players in the game are teamed up right now. Viss, Smak, Halifax and Marius are teamed. Incredible play.

edit: Halifax and Marius are playing first person despite it being 3rd person ranked to practice for the upcoming Curse Trials PUBG first person tournament. https://t.co/JLtSpdwVob

Maaaaan I feel bad for whatever squad is in those matches.

Servers seem very good atm, I've not had a single problem with 22+ hours of play.

Performance? For me it's good on the whole. I have a decent rig though, got a 1080 @ factory, i5 4690k @ factory and 16 of RAM - others have complaints.

I know someone who has an i7, a GTX 770 and a bunch of RAM - in combat he's dipping to 20FPS

Hmm, good to hear that about the servers.

I have a i5 4690, R9 280X and 8GB RAM. So my graphic card is in about the same performance range as the GTX 770 :S

Riding single bikes fast feels like an inevitability that I'm going to die from fall damage. Safest I felt on one,

Rpe83rA.jpg

Swig_

hmmm, hopefully someone chimes in with some suggestions of things to try. I have basically the same setup as you. Substitute Kaby Lake for Skylake. If you get desperate maybe uninstall and reinstall the game?

Turns out it was Bitlocker. Uninstalled that and the game runs fine now.

JimmyMarrow

Neo Member
Well, they are different so it's hard to say but PUBG has grabbed me unlike any online shooter since Socom/Counter-Strike. The level of nervousness takes me back to playing Game battles Socom 2 matches. The best part is with 50 hours in I have never been pissed off when I died. It's amazing.

You are absolutely right. I just made the comment today in a match that PUBG reminds me very much of Socom 1 or 2. It's been a long time since I've felt this sense of satisfaction in a shooter.

I've never had any issues with the servers after over 40 hours.

On my budget build of a G4560/RX570 I get on average around 50-60 but I have everything on low/very low besides my textures on high. I had everything on medium and textures on high for a bit and honestly couldn't tell a difference much IQ wise but was down performance wise big time.

It's sooo fun though, this game got me back into pc gaming

I've never had any issues with the servers after over 40 hours.

On my budget build of a G4560/RX570 I get on average around 50-60 but I have everything on low/very low besides my textures on high. I had everything on medium and textures on high for a bit and honestly couldn't tell a difference much IQ wise but was down performance wise big time.

It's sooo fun though, this game got me back into pc gaming

He says it's smoothed out but is inconsistent

Thanks guys, I'll try it out next month then. If it's too bad, I can still refund. But should be doable.

enbred

Banned
They are incredibly different, but evidently excellent.

I think a big clincher would be what kind of gameplay you like.

Rust = more survival, 'minecrafty', survivalism, long-term building and surviving and conflict between players and then losing progress (your bases/resources) - over the span of weeks

PUBG = tactical shooter, think SOCOM with 100 people on one map, focus on gun combat, positioning, movement across a pre-set very large map that you can't influence

Nicely put. I guess PUBG's sounds like more of what im looking for at the moment. Dat prixe tag though :/

enbred

Banned
I also have about 500 hours on Rust.

Rust is gather materials, build elaborate bases all while trying to survive in a brutal open world PVP island. Gank squads outfitted with gear you won't have for a long time. People breaking into your base overnight while you sleep etc. It's a great experience but very time consuming and tough to go solo. There is all kinds of modded servers though in case you want to just build or something.

PUBG is jumping off a plane with nothing trying to find weapons, armor while making it to the end vs 100 people while the map shrinks in size till the last few survivors are battling it out in a tiny area.

Both very different but good experience.

Yeah, Rust sounds rather tedious when you put it this way. I have watched some videos on youtube and it makes me go WTF? every time. It's funny.

enbred

Banned

Yea, i bet you would be if you got killed somewhere close to #1. Or perhaps you just never got that close :p

Yeah, Rust sounds rather tedious when you put it this way. I have watched some videos on youtube and it makes me go WTF? every time. It's funny.

Yeah it's a unique experience but it's a time sink and really hardcore. I'd spend hours like 4-6 gathering materials and building a base only to have it taken over as soon as a group of guys found it. Not sure what they've done lately to make security a bit better. Locks and high level walls took a lot of work to get to. It's a great game if you have a group to play with but PUBG is much more jump in and have fun. Also PUBG has far better shooting mechanics. Rust is a bit wonky.

It's amazing, I've missed socom for so long and now I'm just absolutely in love and hooked on PUBG. Having a blast playing it with a bunch of my old clan mates too!

Grassy

I've played over 140 hours and I only just realised today you can press Shift to hold your breath while sniping...holy shit...

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've played over 140 hours and I only just realised today you can press Shift to hold your breath while sniping...holy shit...
Haha there's a few things people don't know straight away, like shift to hold breath or ctrl to walk. Another is X to out your gun away, makes you run faster and = to auto run which is a blessing in early game.

Compsiox

Banned
Shot randomly at a car with silenced pistol.

Headshot him and stole his car just before forcefield moved in.

Such a great match.

Loving the game so far, but anyone else get video memory errors? I have an i5 4690K, 16 gig of RAM and a 1080ti so I don't think it's my system.

TheStig88

So I'm in a vehicle chasing someone down across the bridge to the military base when he runs someone over and stops to loot. I ram him and melt him with my UMP before gets out. Buggy comes running down over the bridge seconds later, I fail to stop him and now he's on the far side of the bridge keeping me pinned. Over the next 2-3 minutes at least 5 more players come driving across towards the safezone and I drop them all except for one, with one of them dropping their loot right in front of me.

As I'm looting this guy I see has a SCAR, which is awfully tempting for those sexy attachments as I'm rocking an M16 at this point. So I decide now, of all fucking times, with the clock ticking, the safezone behind me, and an empty UMP as my second weapon, to play pimp my rifle and grab the SCAR off his body.

Woops, here comes another buggy chasing the safezone to run me and my empty rifle over.

Well played self.

Metal B

I finally got my first "Hühnchen Dinner", which took much too long in my opinion to achieve. At the end my frying pan literally saved my ass, since i was low on health as i was run into the perfect cover, which made me win the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The communication and cooperation between players in this is amazing. I haven't run into any idiot team killers. It's cool to go rogue and just traverse or to squad up and look for instant actions or ride the country side until the radius is small and it's to time.

The game really intensifies when you get to that last 30~or less player mark. Games like this give you that inherent rush of good immersion in the best way. It's something you can't really make up as it's a good feeling when playing this.

Never get frustrated when I die too.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Viss, Sacriel, BreaK, and JackFrags just started a squad game. Should be just as good as yesterday, feel sorry for the others unlucky enough to be in their games.

wwm0nkey

The communication and cooperation between players in this is amazing. I haven't run into any idiot team killers. It's cool to go rogue and just traverse or to squad up and look for instant actions or ride the country side until the radius is small and it's to time.

The game really intensifies when you get to that last 30~or less player mark. Games like this give you that inherent rush of good immersion in the best way. It's something you can't really make up as it's a good feeling when playing this.

Never get frustrated when I die too.

Biggest reason why I like it so much

Mr Swine

Banned
Been watching some PUBG and it looks so much fun, I've only played 1 match at a friend. Going to be interesting to see how good I am lol. Is there any neogaf group?

They should really add in the ability to create private matches. I'd love a GAF or Giant Bomb only match. You can meet your murderer in the forums. Or, if I was back in college, a college game would be fun and cool.

roytheone

When mod tools /custom servers are released I hope there is a mod that limits the range of weapons. Close quarters firefights are great in this game, getting sniped from buildings with no idea where it came from is less so.

Twookie

man, i cannot wait for vaulting. couldnt save my teammate in time because I had to walk around the wall because there were only one entrance :/ got revenge in the end, but if i could vault over that chesthigh wall instead of running around it I would've saved him

Been watching some PUBG and it looks so much fun, I've only played 1 match at a friend. Going to be interesting to see how good I am lol. Is there any neogaf group?

there's a gaf pubg discord - quote the first post to see it.

Tagyhag

Yeah while vaulting will be great, jumping through windows is going to be insane, now you have to be more attentive than ever.

You could have someone surrounded in a house and they can get the drop on you in the blink of an eye.

Used the vss last night. Couldn't hit anything with it. Not even a guy about 50 feet in front of me. Not sure if it was lag or the gun. He just ran away as I kept shooting at his back and nothing.

Used the vss last night. Couldn't hit anything with it. Not even a guy about 100 feet in front of me. Not sure if it was lag or the gun.

It has crazy bullet drop, acts a bit like a paintball gun. Use single shot only for range 100-200mm (I wouldn't bother shooting at anything further), and aim/test your target accordingly. It's silent so it doesn't matter too much if you miss first first hit.

For close quarters, the automatic mode is actually really effective (though extended mag is pretty critical).

Just under 5 hours of total playtime and I've landed me my first dinner! Mine! All mine!

f3e4a293-2336-43f5-b42a-44c79fa2d990.gif

It was also my first game in over two weeks which made it all that much sweeter. I think it was all them sick Will Smith strats I've been pickin up.

Just bought the game using a GMG voucher. Played a duos game with my roommate and we were 2nd and 3rd left (2nd as a team). Second time playing. Legitimately was trembling by nerves. This game is great.

Day 2 first chicken dinner. It was four of us left on two teams they just bombarded us with nades, flash bangs and smoke. Buddy died to the nade and I shot the last two as they were running at through the smoke while proned. Damn that was intense.

Top Bottom