• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten, underrated or overlooked handheld games

250px-Soul_Sacrifice_NA_boxart.jpg

Sony pls

you know what to do

This game was awesome, I hope Sony doesn't forget about it. Hell I'll even buy it on ps4 if need be.

big-bang-mini-ds.jpg

Big Bang Mini was super fun and the soundtrack was just so good

42 All Time Classics was insane value for 20 bucks.

Oh yeah, this was by Arkedo, right? I have a copy of it somewhere, need to give it some time as I picked it up alongside some other games.

For some reason I keep mixing it up with:

51np833moXL.jpg

PantsuJo

I always wanted to play Yggdra Union when it was released by Atlus on GBA way back when, but I never did. I fixed that this year and picked up a copy on PSP, is it true the GBA version is noticeably more unforgiving? Sting giving it a proper graphical makeover for PSP was nice, much better than Rivieria which is just an eyesore on PSP thanks to the use of algorithmic upscaling to smoothen out the original assets.
Yes, the GBA version is very hard, in comparison.

maxcriden

I loved all of these and feel they do not get the recognition or appreciation that they deserve.

This one is on my list for sure. Definitely want to check it out, thanks for the reminder.

Ghost Trick from the creator of Ace Attorney series.
mQOXTUE.jpg

Don't know why it's so much overlooked (even with its iOS re-release) but it's one of my favorite DS games next to Dawn of Sorrow.

I didn't mention it because it gets lots of love on GAF, but it is one of my all-time favorite games. It is an absolute masterpiece with a beautiful story.

Grunty's Revenge is crazy underrated. It's basically the N64 games with an isometric view. Obviously not on the same level of quality but a damn fine attempt at portable BK.

I remember trying it as a kid and playing it some and then playing a few minutes a year or two ago and couldn't get into it. Does it start slow and then improve?

Crash games for GBA are lots of fun. I don't remember the Spyro ones too well but I remember them being solid. Want to try these again. Have been meaning to pick up this Spidey game for a while too.

I bought Soul Bubbles because of GAF and it was boring, urgh. One of the few times this board let me down on a recommendation.[/QUOTE

How much of it did you play? I can see it feeling boring if no in the right mood for it but it's very zen-like and pretty tricky going for 100%.

This is the greatest game to come out of the Monster Hunter type subgenre IMO, and is probably my favorite portable video game ever.

Agreed 100% I hate when people just dismiss it as a Monster Hunter clone. So much more than that. The story is brilliant and I teared up at so many parts. The characters had a lot of depth.

VLiberty

Pilotwings Resort is already in the op. Amazing game, the lack of locations killed its appeal for the masses :(

PSP and DS had tons of underlooked gems. some on top of my head:

The Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series are really great. Often overlooked because they were overshadowed by garbage like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06, which released around the same time.

Are the Sonic Advance games better than the original trilogy? Nah, but they're 10000000x better than that travesty called Sonic 4. Great series, imo.

this is the third time in a few days I see people saying that the Sonic Rush games is underrated or overlooked and considering they were very overrated back in the days, I can't tell how this is possible.

Crash games for GBA are lots of fun. I don't remember the Spyro ones too well but I remember them being solid. Want to try these again. Have been meaning to pick up this Spidey game for a while too.

Oh yeah, I had Crash XS and the 2nd one (forgot its name, its "into-the-screen" levels had a shark), Vicarious Visions was a great handheld dev. Makes me wish I played Tony Hawk's American Sk8land, that still looks like an impressive effort today for what it is.

I feel like nobody played/owned this one. I owned it and selling it is still one of my biggest regrets.
It's the best portable MGS game. Fight me.

Code:
[IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/metalgear/images/e/e3/Mggb.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20050908164725[/IMG]

I rented it and saw it on sale so many times when I had a GBA. I regret not buying it now. Great pick bud

I put so much time into Pilotwings Resort. Sure, at the time the 3DS was starving for games, but it legitimately was a fun and challenging game.

Hotel Dusk is my game. Why aren't there more games like it?

RedSwirl

Zone_of_the_Enders_-_The_Fist_of_Mars_Coverart.png

I was a huge fan of the GBA ZoE game
Unlike the PS2 one, this was an strategy rpg like Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, etc

How was that game? I was interested in it at the time but never got around to checking it out. Is it worth taking a look at today?

Pilotwings Resort is already in the op. Amazing game, the lack of locations killed its appeal for the masses :(

Crush was dope. A solid 9/10 game.

Those picks. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

I enjoyed both Exit games on PSP (never played the DS ones), and I've got an unplayed copy of Mercury Meltdown Revolution on Wii. What's the game to left of Mercury?

Still need to return to and finish this:

813RZYauGRL._SX425_.jpg

Maestro is great, I love PastaGames. There's an interesting piece about the studio here: http://www.pocketgamer.biz/interview/60778/the-turbulent-rise-of-pastagames/

Shame Maestro didn't do so well, seems like it was released at a bad time (when the DS was badly affected by piracy) and its publisher definitely understocked it - the copy I got was German.

But, as all shrewd indie developers know, a treasured project isn't necessarily a profitable one. That was a lesson that Pastagames, fresh off the back of success with licensed games, learnt the hard way when they returned to release Maestro - Jump in Music in 2009.

“Maestro is such an odd game that it was a struggle to get it published,” Haddad reveals. “The DS’ lifecycle was ending, R4 cartridges were everywhere, and most publishers were only after low-risk games."

"An original IP developed by a little-known studio was far from floating their boats. Digital releases were still in their infancy, and Nintendo wasn’t in a hurry to grow their eShop back then.”

With few options left, Pastagames turned to their old publishing pals. “Neko ended up co-publishing the game with us,” says Haddad. “It was marketed lightly yet effectively, but it was poorly distributed in Europe and not at all overseas.”

“It was a commercial disaster,” Haddad tells us, speaking frankly.

“To this day, Maestro is the only one of our games to not make a profit. We invested everything we had in the production and lost most of it. A good game with good press is not enough to beat the fact that the boxes were simply not available for purchase.”

PantsuJo

I feel like nobody played/owned this one. I owned it and selling it is still one of my biggest regrets.
It's the best portable MGS game. Fight me.

Code:
[IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/metalgear/images/e/e3/Mggb.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20050908164725[/IMG]
Awesome.

But the best handheld MGS is Metal Gear Acid, fight me GAF.

j0QjuUn.jpg

Remember the ribbing I took in work for buying this, I had the last laugh though cause it was great.

At the time it reminded me of Soccer Kid meets Marvin's Marvellous Adventure.

God I'm so old.

I put so much time into Pilotwings Resort. Sure, at the time the 3DS was starving for games, but it legitimately was a fun and challenging game.

Pilotwings Resort is really underrated, taken as a game of skill and mastery you can easily get 20 hours out of it, I didn't really think it outstayed its welcome despite the focus on one island. More would have been great, but what's there is great, and it's just such a chill game.

Always hoped Nintendo signed up Monster Games to make a followup, even in the free-to-start mold like with Fullblox/Stretchmo.

j0QjuUn.jpg

Remember the ribbing I took in work for buying this, I had the last laugh though cause it was great.

At the time it reminded me of Soccer Kid meets Marvin's Marvellous Adventure.

God I'm so old.

Totally forgot this existed! Denki Blocks was awesome, never played Go Go Beckham.

Very pleasantly surprised to find Soul Bubbles already covered not only by the inevitable maxcriden post, but the OP too. Second only to 999 as best DS game.

I'll nominate a few:

Electroplankton.jpg

Charming quirky music thing that I wish got a 3DS follow-up.

365658_front.jpg

My favourite Atelier on one of the greatest handhelds. Top-tier OST.

Littlebigplanet-psp-box.jpg

Secret best in the series and one of the greatest platformers ever. Relaxing, varied and clever.

Tizoc

Off the top of my head

The Sonic games are pretty decent 2D Platformers with some nice platforming challenges. The Neo Geo Pocket Color game has lovely visuals IMO and is a remix of SOnic 2 and 3 stages.

Red Star PSP is a cool beat'em-up+shoot'em-up hybrid.

Thud

There's also Last Window. It's one of the few visual novel games where I like the puzzles.

I don't know if this fit's the bill. Wasn't it highly rated, not forgotten or overlooked? I remember it being a hit and on just about everyone top 10 PSP games list.

I'm listing it because the only time it ever comes up these days is when someone's scraping the bottom of the barrel whilst recommending PSP titles.

Jeanne d'Arc is awesome. I never see anyone talk about it though.

Jeanne_d%27Arc_Coverart.png

I would've talked about it if they bothered releasing it in Europe.

Still soured about that

On topic, Oreshika: Tainted Bloddlines and Freedom Wars feels like they barely exist. I still need to start both of them too.

Qwark

Another vote for Jeanne D'Arc, loved that game so much. I really hope Level 5 does something similar again soon.

Another PSP game is Popolocrois. Load times were kind of bad, but it was my first entry in the series and it was very charming.

Syril

Mole_mania_boxart.png

AKA, that time Shigeru Miyamoto produced a puzzle game that got totally overlooked because it was a Game Boy game in the period before Pokemon came out outside of Japan.
It also has the greatest Super Game Boy border:
001a.png

rhandino

Banned
Riviera - The Promised Land

2039.jpg

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH!!!

The character were hella charming and the story was soooo good.

Why we didn't get another game in this style? T_T

The music

ANYWAY! Another pair of GEMS that were delivered in the GameBoy Advance were the Summon Night - Swordcraft Story games

Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_Coverart.png

250px-Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_2_Coverart.png

Both games are not only incredible charming but have nice stories, characters, music and the gameplay was also really cool.

Too bad we never got the 3rd one T_T

phanphare

Banned

the spyro games are pretty neat. they have an isometric camera setup. the camera can feel a bit too zoomed in at times but those games did a really good job of translating the spyro gameplay to a handheld.

that spidey game is really good if you like sidescrolling beat em ups

18-Volt

Anybody remember Success' DS output? It was full of surprisingly enjoyable stuff:

Drone_Tactics_Artbox.jpg

250px-RondoBox.jpg

TheDarkSpireDSCover.png

82171_front.jpg

Easiest to develop genres, SRPG, DRPG and mystery dungeon, but they were all kinda unique. Izuna was unquestionable ripoff of Shiren but with humor and a little fanservice added.

Rondo of Swords was like Dark Souls of SRPG's, it's still the hardest SRPG ever.

Drone Tactics was one of a kind: Insect mecha SRPG.

The Dark Spire had this amazing minimalist art, gave the game some suspense/thriller elements.

jennetics

Never met another person who played this awesome game.

61OXvtUDQPL._SX425_.jpg

I got this game when I worked at Gamestop after reading good reviews for it. I don't know what it was about it but it was such a slog to get through for me. Now that you reminded me about the game, I'm going to give it another shot!

Top Bottom