• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

-Borders
-5 Frogs at ruins
-Dog Shrine
at Papyrus kitchen
-
They changed the "crash" before omega flowey to simply show the glitched intro
-
Also losing to omega flowey it simply reset the fight after the HAHAHAHAHAHA text
-
Unintentional ps4 error when naming the fallen kid "Gaster", they will fix that

Ending spoiler

Any idea if the genocide ending is different? I'd be surprised if Sony allowed them to "lock" the game like that.

XSX

I got the trophy for getting 1 and 4 items but not for 2 and 3 items....anyone else have this problem?

Yukinari

I may not enjoy the core gameplay but the bosses and music are enough to keep me going.

Kind of a shame a youtuber i watch had to quit playing due to backlash over his choices to kill stuff.

Not

Banned
This is a really important game to me.

However, I
nervously didn't want to kill anyone, so the Undyne and Asgore fights took me so long to figure out. I'm supposed to run away? Actually defeat him and THEN spare his life? Bad design.

I hope everyone's mind is blown like mine was last year several times over by this amazing game.

PSqueak

Banned

However, I
nervously didn't want to kill anyone, so the Undyne and Asgore fights took me so long to figure out. I'm supposed to run away? Actually defeat him and THEN spare his life? Bad design.

I hope everyone's mind is blown like mine was last year several times over by this amazing game.

I had the same problems, well in case for
Undyne
i knew i could
run
but what i didn't realize was
the background behind her was a cave i was supposed to run into.

Ending spoiler

Any idea if the genocide ending is different? I'd be surprised if Sony allowed them to "lock" the game like that.

It'd probably be like the non-Steam versions without cloud saves (GOG etc.) as in, you simply delete your save data outside of the game and the effects of your Genocide run are gone.

Saikyo

However, I

But
thats why they are good, they show that like Toriel you cant just say or do something funny so you can Mercy then, Asgore being the solution people tried with Toriel (try to defeat her so you can advance) for me was a neat connection between them

It'd probably be like the non-Steam versions without cloud saves (GOG etc.) as in, you simply delete your save data outside of the game and the effects of your Genocide run are gone.
Bummer if the effects go away. Having your pacifist ending forever tainted was a cool aspect of the genocide run. "Fixing" the game was also pretty neat.

JonnyKong

Newbie to the game here, I've just played the first hour and love it so far. The two skeletons are hilarious. I can't remember the last time a game made me laugh out loud so much.

A highlight so far is fighting the
doggo and petting him. And then after that fighting a lesser doggo

Game is living up to the hype!!! Loving every second so far and the humor is on point. Am currently fighting
Undyne (spelling?)

DNAbro

Finished a complete playthrough. Undertale is still my favorite game and the final boss is still my favorite thing that I have ever played in any game.

This was a great excuse to play it again. I really do hope Toby is working on something new because what he created was truly special.

I'm probably going to add some more of the major characters into the OT minus a couple of the huge spoilery ones.

It's too bad there's no cross-save though. I'd be playing the Vita version right now.
Game is living up to the hype!!! Loving every second so far and the humor is on point. Am currently fighting
Undyne (spelling?)
Your spelling is correct!

JonnyKong

Just out of curiosity, how are you supposed to finish the fight with
Torial
near the start without resorting to attacking her? I tried everything I could think of (mainly pressing talk loads of times), but in the end I gave up and attacked her.

Torial
near the start without resorting to attacking her? I tried everything I could think of (mainly pressing talk loads of times), but in the end I gave up and attacked her.

You have to keep selecting spare. Eventually she will give up

Sevyne

Torial

Keep selecting Mercy

Torial
Spam the heck out of Mercy and Spare. She'll keep attacking you but then after a bit she'll stop. Then keep spamming it still even if she isn't doing anything. Eventually she'll relent.

Torial

For most things in this game

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YuBxbmM.png[/img]

I hadn't heard how it was handled, so I looked up the
Mettaton
fight, specifically the
pop quiz
. I feel silly for not thinking of that.

OniBaka

Early game spoilers like first 40 minutes.

That flower really freaked me out at the start, what a troll.

I accidentally killed toriel and reloaded my save but the game still knew I killed her before then that flower rubs that fact in. What are the point of save points if the game remember these stuff. I'm going guess the save points act as a kind of time travel mechanic.

What did I get myself into.

Also the Nier Automata folks recommend me to get this game and only reason I didn't was because it was only on PC.

JC Lately

I accidentally killed toriel and reloaded my save but the game still knew I killed her before then that flower rubs that fact in. What are the point of save points if the game remember these stuff. I'm going guess the save points act as a kind of time travel mechanic.

What? Did you think you were above consequences? 😜

Not

Banned
Guys you can do whatever you want but trust me, the best experience BY FAR is not killing anyone the first time.

cj_iwakura

Wow.

DHTjjwmUIAA1W5j.jpg

Just going to reiterate that new players should just play however they want to; there is no "best" way to handle your first playthrough. Regardless of how you play, if you're interested in the 'true' ending, you'll eventually be led to it.

GeoramA

First-timer, on PS4. Glad I bought into the hype, it's really really good.

Doing the pacifist run first like I always do in choice-based games. Hasn't been too hard yet, about 2 hours in.

Steroyd

YOOOOOOOOOO! WTF!?

I've never felt this bad since shadow of the collossus
there HAS to be a way to not kill Toriel, it runs counter to everything she taught me so far, I was only going to weaken her then BAM 300+ hp crit attack
feels bad man, but I'll live with it. :(

Teknoman

YOOOOOOOOOO! WTF!?

there HAS to be a way to not kill Toriel, it runs counter to everything she taught me so far, I was only going to weaken her then BAM 300+ hp crit attack

You're gonna have such an overwhelming feeling of joy at the true ending if you've already this deep. Its a good thing.

I didn't want to push people into doing a certain kind of ending when making the OT with the others but I will say this much:

You will feel like absolute trash for killing.
YOOOOOOOOOO! WTF!?

Spam the heck out of Mercy and Spare. She'll keep attacking you but then after a bit she'll stop. Then keep spamming it still even if she isn't doing anything. Eventually she'll relent.

PSqueak

Banned
Torial

Remember the words of the frog.

Arrrammis

A bit of spoiler-free advice for if you get stuck during a fight: Most RPGs give you a ton of tools and only require/reward you for using a few of them (mainly, attack, block, heal). In Undertale, you have to use every single mechanic at some point in a way that is pretty counter-intuitive sometimes if you want the fight to end in a way that you want it to. Pay close attention to how characters react to your actions, either in text or expressions. There's lots of subtle hints, with some being much harder to pick up on than others!

A bit of spoiler-free advice for if you get stuck during a fight: Most RPGs give you a ton of tools and only require/reward you for using a few of them (mainly, attack, block, heal). In Undertale, you have to use every single mechanic at some point in a way that is pretty counter-intuitive sometimes. Pay close attention to how characters react to your actions, either in text or expressions. There's lots of subtle hints, with some being much harder to pick up on than others!
Would you be okay with me quoting this in the OT?

Arrrammis

Would you be okay with me quoting this in the OT?

Go for it!

Also, this might be more of a personal thing, but I would also add a note at the very beginning of the OT urging people to go into the game as blind as possible. It's great telling people that you can finish the game without
killing and that doing so gives the "true"/best ending
, but honestly the experience of figuring stuff out on your own and living with your choices is one of the things that made the game great for me.

Go for it!

Also, this might be more of a personal thing, but I would also add a note at the very beginning of the OT urging people to go into the game as blind as possible. It's great telling people that you can finish the game without
, but honestly the experience of figuring stuff out on your own and living with your choices is one of the things that made the game great for me.
If you mean the part about killing being unnecessary in the OT, I actually got that from a poster who got that from the Steam description so I thought that it would be a nice bit of warning heh heh.

devonodev

Go for it!

This is important to me. Go in blind.
I first beat the game not knowing there were different endings, killing just enough enemies to level up a few times, and I'm glad I did so. I also killed Toriel and Undyne as I didn't know what else I could do to spare them. It made my encounter with Sans at the end that much more impactful.

LotusHD

Banned

Also the Nier Automata folks recommend me to get this game and only reason I didn't was because it was only on PC.

Oh this is gonna be fun, hope you enjoy the game.

Top Bottom