• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new WebKitSploit found on PS3,it's working on last frameware

L.O.R.D

so,i got this news from a hacking website psxhax,not sure if i can post the link here or not.

the exploit is ported from PS4 it seems,and only works on OFW 3.55 and 4.81 (which is the last update right now)

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f555133585145432e706e67

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f59776d394f32412e706e67

What is working:

Detects firmware version and handles it based upon version.

so,if you really hoping for homebrew on your PS3 because you have super slim PS3 or missed the old one,this is maybe can works.

i haven't turned my PS3 for a long time,so maybe i can hack it,i just hope there is no downgrade to 3.55,because i heard horror stories about overheating because of hax.

Rellik

Might have to keep an eye on this since my PS3 just collects dust now. It would be cool to play around with it.

If that works out I would be happy, I barely use my PS3 anymore for online things so I wouldn't mind unlocking all my games for Vita remote-play! :D

If that works out I would be happy, I barely use my PS3 anymore for online things so I wouldn't mind unlocking all my games for Vita remote-play! :D

Don't think that would be possible, Vita and PS4 has bespoke hardware for that, the solution for PS3 to PSP was software based, so had a resource hit.

jsnepo

When I saw webkit and PS3 on the thread title, I immediately thought of jeff_rigby. I miss hisn threads.

Anyway, I hope this allows for MGO to be installed without the need to delete the contents of my PS3's HDD.

Rellik

Yeah that's where I'm at. I don't use my PS3 anymore so I'm willing to put it offline and play around with it.

L.O.R.D

Don't think that would be possible, Vita and PS4 has bespoke hardware for that, the solution for PS3 to PSP was software based, so had a resource hit.
It's currently possible on cfw PS3,there is a file for each game that's has the option for Vita remote play disabled,you just have to edit that file to enable remote play to PS Vita,and i think it works even without PSN access (not sure about this info).

It's currently possible on cfw PS3,there is a file for each game that's has the option for Vita remote play disabled,you just have to edit that file to enable remote play to PS Vita,and i think it works even without PSN access (not sure about this info).

I can confirm it works without needing to be signed into PSN. You just need to directly connect the Vita to the PS3 (using the 8-digit code).

L.O.R.D

I can confirm it works without needing to be signed into PSN. You just need to directly connect the Vita to the PS3 (using the 8-digit code).
wow,so cool,because as soon as i hack my PS3,i will make it offline forever,no way i am risking getting my account banned,i know Sony will instant ban cfw PS3.

I am having trouble finding more info about this for some reason. Am I correct in understanding that it's just a proof of concept hack for now?

I don't think people are going to massively pirate PS3 games right now, so system getting open again would be excellent news.

I want ps3 to get to psp levels of easy hacking so I can finally play my imported tales of vesperia ps3 with the fan translation.

BigEmil

I hope more is done with this quick before it gets patched, I want to play Tales of Vesperia with English patch and more

I bet this isn't to the 3.55 downgrader resellers liking since this free web exploit can halt their business

horkrux

here I am, downgrading my old PS3 units by soldering lots of cables and sticking a special clip on the NAND

and then two weeks later they find a new exploit

full

it was still kinda fun

Dereck

Funny this happens after I modded my PS3, reaped all of the benefits of it and then unmodded it after I got bored.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
How are the emulators?

I need to replace my modded original Xbox soon (which it is just a emulation player now anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When I saw webkit and PS3 on the thread title, I immediately thought of jeff_rigby. I miss hisn threads.

You've reminded me that he and I had an AUD$100 charity bet pertaining to his long-running theory that MS and Sony were both lying about the UHD BD capability of the X1/PS4 and they'd be updated to support the format by October 2016, which I extended to January 1st.

Needless to say, no such firmware update materialised, nor has it since. I wonder if he stayed true to his word.

PS2 emulator never worked on CFW PS3,only on FAT backward PS3

no need to worry,you can update manually to any version using the USB method.

Nope, you're confusing hardware emulation with software emulation.

The first was available only in the first 60 gb models. In particular the Japanese ones had both the GS and EE, while the European ones had only the GS (don't know about American models).

On the other hand every PS3 supports software emulation, which is used by the PS2 classics you can download from the store. It is not perfect since many games don't work, but I'd be curious to try it out.

L.O.R.D

I want to use exploits like this to back up all my data. I want to at least get my saves on Dropbox.
Ah,can't you use a USB drive for that? i am sure you can,there is also a tool to use other people save files like bruteforce.

For other files,you can backup to external drive,i think.

I may consider doing this in the future one day so I can rip my physical collection and run them on a 3TB HDD (like I recently did with my PS2) without worrying about the laser inevitably dying.

Just not currently interested since there's still weekly sales for digital PS3 games/PS plus continues to feed us and online multiplayer still works for free

I'll be back in a couple of years though once the servers close and there's no longer any risk of getting your console/PSN tag banned

Okay, so it IS proof of concept for now. Then again, so was magnethax/ntrboothax on 3DS for months, so this sounds promising.

I'll be back in a couple of years though once the servers close and there's no longer any risk of getting your console/PSN tag banned

This may take longer than you'd think. I'm still surprised they didn't completely cut PSP off yet. (I think?)

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
So what's the benefit of this? I have an old 40 gig unit I barely use except for demon souls and the kids play in it.

I'm a bit confused as to what it does

So what's the benefit of this? I have an old 40 gig unit I barely use except for demon souls and the kids play in it.

I'm a bit confused as to what it does

Right now it does nothing to you, it just shows potential for more. The potential is hard to ascertain, but the typical first thing of actual value to "end user" to pop up is a bunch of emulators. Backups and mods could happen if system gets broken more.

Okay, so it IS proof of concept for now. Then again, so was magnethax/ntrboothax on 3DS for months, so this sounds promising.

This may take longer than you'd think. I'm still surprised they didn't completely cut PSP off yet. (I think?)

People are getting banned for loading custom firmware on their PSPs?

Biske

here I am, downgrading my old PS3 units by soldering lots of cables and sticking a special clip on the NAND

and then two weeks later they find a new exploit

full

it was still kinda fun

At least you get to feel like an awesome techno wizard.

I set my 3DS up to play out of region games by by following a guide and I felt like a l33t hacker.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Right now it does nothing to you, it just shows potential for more. The potential is hard to ascertain, but the typical first thing of actual value to "end user" to pop up is a bunch of emulators. Backups and mods could happen if system gets broken more.
Oh, ok. I've never modded my ps3 so thought it might be fun to try.

I won't risk losing demon souls though lol

Wow, never knew..

Is it stable with every game?

Rellik

I booted up my PS3 yesterday for the first time in a long time and I can't even get in the store anymore. PSN just logs me out and boots me back to the home menu.

So yeah, I hope this leads to more because the PS3 in its current state is unusable online for me anyway.

Top Bottom