• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
why are these fools wearing shirts?

dat cage size lol
C0M3i.jpg

ShaneB

My goodness. Look at that sweet
candy

Also, regarding my comment on Stann, yeah his plan could've backfired, but it didn't, and I really was glad to see respect like that.

ShaneB

My issue with more events is just how long a full MMA event takes. Do I want to watch a full card and learn about the up-and-coming fighters on the undercard? Hell yeah. Do I want to sit though 6 or 7 hours of air time to see it all live? Hell no.

If MMA could be consistently truncated into a full action packed 3 hour event with no downtime, then yeah, that would be great to have more events.

I know it's a byproduct of the sport and how things play out, but meh.

Heel

As much as Badr seems like an asshole, he is one of the most entertaining kickboxers around. I kinda hope he fights Mirko, just for the bitter tears of Cro Cop fans everywhere.

Heel

I guess he figured he'd take his chances on this new K-1 money instead of crushing cans in boxing and building for a payday one day.

He has a real chance to grab that $1M in the grand prix if the check clears, haha.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I guess he figured he'd take his chances on this new K-1 money instead of crushing cans in boxing and building for a payday one day.

He has a real chance to grab that $1M in the grand prix if the check clears, haha.

Maybe he can sell it on Craigslist!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lol. Ol' Vince must have been desperate if he's still allowing his normal sponsors to appear on his shorts.

TheNatural

My Member!
Good interview with McDonald on MMA Hour. Not hamming it up about Torres, just flat out saying he doesn't understand why Torres completely changed his style and is less dangerous.

TheNatural

My Member!
No wrestling GIF's in here unless it's Mariachi Brock.

And Ariel talking to Pat about Askren being a boring fight, and having to defend himself. Askren challenged Ariel to a fight? LOL. I didn't see the fight but I've almost seen everyone say it was boring. Why do fighters get so fucking butthurt over someone saying it's boring?

TheNatural

My Member!
Miletech is being a dick. Seriously, get over being butthurt someone said a fight was boring. He's pulling 'well the media controls whether a guy makes his living in MMA' because someone calls a fight boring. Also pulling the "you've never done MMA so you don't know what it's like" card.

Heel

Victor Conte is throwing darts at Uncle Dana on Twitter.

@VictorConte - @danawhite says "impossible" to random drug test 375 UFC fighters? NFL has 1200, MLB 2,000. Doping control officers are worldwide. Doable

@VictorConte - RT @RaulGroom: @VictorConte @danawhite He means it's impossible to randomly drug test fighters without catching hundreds of them doping

TheNatural

My Member!
Victor Conte is throwing darts at Uncle Dana on Twitter.

@VictorConte - @danawhite says "impossible" to random drug test 375 UFC fighters? NFL has 1200, MLB 2,000. Doping control officers are worldwide. Doable

@VictorConte - RT @RaulGroom: @VictorConte @danawhite He means it's impossible to randomly drug test fighters without catching hundreds of them doping

You're missing out on a hell of a debate with Ariel and Pat on MMA Hour Heel. It's getting heated, but civil.

TheNatural

My Member!
Haha I'll have to check out the archive.

Yeah this is pretty nuts haha. Miletich is all over the place, I don't even know his position, but he's into media bashing and guys not being "tactful" enough towards fighters.

EDIT: Now Pat is vaguely bringing up rumors about Ariel interviewing guys outside of HDNet. A lot of passive aggressive bullshit. And getting all over Ariel for what Chael said on Kenny Rice or whatever.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I tuned into the show for the first time. It is hilarious Askren got mad at Ariel for calling the fight boring. Fighters do need to grow a thicker skin.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Missed Trigg's interview, anything interesting?

I only caught the beginning of it but he was just explaining he had to leave HDNet due to issues involving his divorce. I guess Seacreat Productions is now a partial owner of the channel and they didn't want to be associated with someone with bad press like Trigg.

yacobod

Banned
Uncle Dana and Zuffa are largely to blame for the vanilla and boring fighting styles that have permeated the sport. Zuffa is so quick to cut fighters that it's become win at all costs, who cares if the fight is fun to watch.

ShaneB

Uncle Dana and Zuffa are largely to blame for the vanilla and boring fighting styles that have permeated the sport. Zuffa is so quick to cut fighters that it's become win at all costs, who cares if the fight is fun to watch.

Ding ding ding.

I'll have to catch the archive of this show and watch the debate. Sounds like a good time.

TheNatural

My Member!

I would agree, but they've kept Wanderlei, Dan Hardy, Leonard Garcia, and Stephan Bonnar on forever.

You get more leeway if you're willing to throw down, that's for sure. But if your chin turns into something resembling Jardine or Arlovski's they're got to cut you because they don't want to be a news story for ESPN about how a fighter died in the cage or something. It's risk vs. reward. Throw down means you'll probably take more losses, but you get more leeway. Be boring as fuck, less leeway, but less risk you'll get KO'ed.

Boring = less losses and you're gone.
Exciting = more losses, but if your chin turns to glass, you're gone.

I sort of agree with this. I often think this about guys that are cut after two or three losses but are still exciting or big draws - Brock Lesnar for example. Yeah he wasn't a great mma fighter but his PPV buyrates had to be huge. I'm sure there are many others to name but I gotta get back to work. :b

yacobod

Banned
well my statement wasn't meant as a catch all, because the UFC has kept name fighters on the roster after they've passed their expiration date as contenders. Guys with fan friendly fighting styles, drawing power, pride legends, or members of the TUF 1 cast get a lot more freedom than most.

but guys stuck out on the fringes or guys looking to break into the UFC are not afforded the same leeway.

ShaneB

Well it brings up a point I mentioned before, who is more important to the ufc. The quick risers who are just as quick to fall and be cut, or the forever .500 fighter, who sticks around on the roster because of some sense of consistency... or inconsistency I guess as the case may be.

TheNatural

My Member!
well my statement wasn't meant as a catch all, because the UFC has kept name fighters on the roster after they've passed their expiration date as contenders. Guys with fan friendly fighting styles, drawing power, pride legends, or members of the TUF 1 cast get a lot more freedom than most.

but guys stuck out on the fringes or guys looking to break into the UFC are not afforded the same leeway.

Because they usually have glass jaws now. It's kind of hard to find a fringe fighter that is exciting that doesn't have a glass jaw that led to then getting demoted to the C leagues. Hell, even can Jardine got another shot in Strikeforce and went out like a light as usual. Who would you even say got an undeserved premature cut from the UFC or Strikeforce?

I guess you could make a case that instead of cutting the guy after getting glass jaw rocked for 4 or 5 fights or whatever, you move them way down on the card on a prelim fight or something in a fight that would be competitive.

In that way I guess it's different from something like WWE, when many who become old who were once a bigger star, you just get pushed on some C show fighting prospects. Like Dustin Rhodes or Ron Simmons or something.

Instead of Liddell retiring I'm sure he could have continued his career against lower caliber fighters, but once you get that big, you can't go back. I'm sure it would be more interesting in seeing a legend fight a no name guy on a Facebook or FX prelim with a guy he can handle, but once you're that big you just retire or get cut.

You won't see Chuck Liddell vs. James Te Huna on a Facebook prelim or Wanderlei Silva vs. Aaron Simpson or something. More interesting to see those names popping up on a card, but it's probably never going to happen, and I don't think those guys where they've been would accept that spot or that pay anyway - they'll just retire.

Top Bottom