• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

I will absolutely shame you for liking an album that attempts to energize the southern white males who are members of the Ku Klux Klan by glorifying them in "John Wayne" who, by the way, was a rampant homophobe and racist and yet here she is trying to suck his dick through his rotten grave via her music. Furthermore, Gaga is clearly trying to tap into the white supremacist market with Joanal because she no longer feels that the Homosexuals like you are doing enough for her. Meanwhile, Lanasus Del Godsiah has constantly tried to get her fans to get involved politically and in protests such as the Standing Rock protests. Gaga? She had the super bowl stage and worshipped America before re-enacting the downfall of both her output and career by jumping off the roof. Take a seat.
👏👏👏

llehuty

I won't apologize for liking a good album, just like you shouldn't apologize for liking Honeymoon despite its primary function as an elephant tranquilizer in the Sabaragamuwa Province of Sri Lanka

citation-needed.jpg

DOWN

Banned
I will absolutely shame you for liking an album that attempts to energize the southern white males who are members of the Ku Klux Klan by glorifying them in "John Wayne" who, by the way, was a rampant homophobe and racist and yet here she is trying to suck his dick through his rotten grave via her music. Furthermore, Gaga is clearly trying to tap into the white supremacist market with Joanal because she no longer feels that the Homosexuals like you are doing enough for her. Meanwhile, Lanasus Del Godsiah has constantly tried to get her fans to get involved politically and in protests such as the Standing Rock protests. Gaga? She had the super bowl stage and worshipped America before re-enacting the downfall of both her output and career by jumping off the roof. Take a seat.
I love Lana but this is a sad reach. Scenes of Lana's Tropico literally include John Wayne as a holy figure, John Wayne speaking, and Lana praying to him

Screen+shot+2013-12-05+at+6.38.31+PM.png

Referencing John Wayne for his movie gravitas as these ladies have is meh, but it's hardly them endorsing his off screen bitch ass idiocy

I love Lana but this is a sad reach. Scenes of Lana's Tropico literally include John Wayne as a holy figure, John Wayne speaking, and Lana praying to him

Referencing John Wayne for his movie gravitas as these ladies have is meh, but it's hardly them endorsing his off screen bitch ass idiocy
I'm sorry did Lana go around profiting off of the Homosexuals and making a whole era based around it only to then switch it up and start spouting country "real man" coded talk? At least the good sis Lana has been transparent and consistent about herself and her (Sometimes worrying) messiness throughout her entire career. She had 60 year old out of shape literal daddies in the video for ride. Gaga would probably make a whole era on the concept of having a daddy fetish.

Call me back when Lana's first single under the dump administration is about how "city boys" (read: dems) aren't "real men", unlike the "red state treasures".

Delete

I will absolutely shame you for liking an album that att

First of all, it's rich that you're running with this when Lana Del Rey has made an entire ***CAREER*** out of glorifying the very shit you're complaining about. Also, are you really trying to attack Gaga as not being politically engaged or inspiring her fans to do the same? Have you never heard her speak?

Second, thanks for reminding me that she played the Super Bowl. The second highest viewed halftime show in history, in fact, with zero guests and a relatively mild promotional rollout. It also was the most searched and tweeted halftime show in history, and propelled Gaga to re-peak on Google Trends, passing her 2010 high. I'm not sure why you're running with the idea that her career is at a downfall when she is actually the most talked about pop star on the planet right now. If you were to ask those 117 million people who Lana Del Rey was, I'm sure most would guess a motel or woman's deodorant.

Frodo

Urgh.

From John Wayne's wikipedia entry:

Wikipedia said:
I believe in white supremacy, until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe giving authority and positions of leadership and judgement to irresponsible people ... I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from [the Native Americans] ... Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.

Bye.

First of all, it's rich that you're running with this when Lana Del Rey has made an entire ***CAREER*** out of glorifying the very shit you're complaining about. Also, are you really trying to attack Gaga as not being politically engaged or inspiring her fans to do the same? Have you never heard her speak?

Second, thanks for reminding me that she played the Super Bowl. The second highest viewed halftime show in history, in fact. It also was the most searched and tweeted halftime show in history, and propelled Gaga to re-peak on Google Trends, passing her 2010 high. I'm not sure why you're running with the idea that her career is at a downfall when she is actually the most talked about pop star on the planet right now. If you were to ask those 117 million people who Lana Del Rey was, I'm sure most would guess a motel or woman's deodorant.
Words: this is bad

Actions: anyway here's this song about how much of a real man John Wayne is! 😍😍😍

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
M.I.A - P.O.W.A

Not sure I like her vocals on this, which is a bit of a kii considering she says in this song shes no Mariah/Ariana

rhandino

Banned

Second, thanks for reminding me that she played the Super Bowl. The second highest viewed halftime show in history, in fact, with zero guests and a relatively mild promotional rollout. It also was the most searched and tweeted halftime show in history, and propelled Gaga to re-peak on Google Trends, passing her 2010 high. I'm not sure why you're running with the idea that her career is at a downfall when she is actually the most talked about pop star on the planet right now. If you were to ask those 117 million people who Lana Del Rey was, I'm sure most would guess a motel or woman's deodorant.
BoF1jWl.gif

Whew what kind of slayage! Didn't know you had it in you Blood Diamonds! Have the biggest crush on you for this queen of shade whitney level of ownage!

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
C4PIIv_WcAEfUCH.jpg

Terrible cover but here for Amy.
I thought she was doing children's music?

I don't think Joanne was attempting to energize white supremacy, just a more down to earth album, which she has been wanting to do for a long time. I also don't think she is trying to "suck his dick." She's talking about the idea of the John Wayne figure, the manly man that women secretly desire
#NotAllWomen
. It's just a fun song and it's not meant to be political at all.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I thought "John Wayne" fits rather snugly into the pastoral tradition of becoming disenchanted with city life and idealizing the countryside. It's just that, in the present day, pastoral idealization also largely aligns with certain political beliefs in the US that are widely interpreted as being antagonistic towards various civil rights efforts. Which makes it messy and certainly complicated to act in that tradition. I admit I definitely haven't really analyzed its lyrics, though, and have mostly been a passive listener.

Marshal

Neo Member
I miss relevant Shakira. Where are her Hips Don't Lie, Whenever Wherever, Beautiful Liar chart smashes

I liked Try Everything tho

She is relevant outside the US(and in Latino communities)
Chantaje was released in November and has 600m views, talent won

Top Bottom