• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasArts: "Amazing news coming Monday [...] awesome news for our old school fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

GDGF said:
Did they say no new IP or no specific IP?
Good question. There's a huge difference between the two.

edit: @TTU_VAPOR It doesn't have to do with any specific intellectual property...10:36 PM Jul 3rd from web in reply to DanielSneed

Minsc

Gold Member
GDGF said:
Did they say no new IP or no specific IP?

They said it has nothing to do with any specific IP, not just a new one.

So it's either multiple new games (not likely), or multiple old ones.

epmode

SCUMMVM makes it really easy to play the old adventure games (Grim Fandango/Escape excluded) but I'd love a tweaked X-Wing or TIE Fighter or whatever with support for modern systems.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Old adventure games on Steam? Why not? VOOK called it.

Still, an X-Wing VS. TIE Fighter game from the Ace Combat team would be nice. Yoda and Vader in Soulcalibur IV can't be the only thing from a Lucasarts/Namco relationship...

Link1110

Well, I hope it's not Steam if anything. If they put them on GOG.com, they could sell the old games, yet still have them compatible with all the various ScummVM ports out there.

epmode

Link1110 said:
Well, I hope it's not Steam if anything. If they put them on GOG.com, they could sell the old games, yet still have them compatible with all the various ScummVM ports out there.
Steam doesn't preclude SCUMMVM compatibility. SCUMMVM doesn't even care about the executable, which is the only thing that a Steam release alters vs. a retail release.

Pyrokai

I think I actually want the Steam thing more than anything else. I've never played any of the classic Lucas Arts games and would KILL to have them so I don't have to mess around with ScummVM or anything. Plus I like legitimately owning games :)

Fingers crossed!

bounchfx

crowphoenix said:
So, it's likely that this is LucasArts putting their older games on Steam/XBLA/PSN.

holy shit, if they did this.. and if they had a LucasArts MegaPack.. I'd buy the living shit out of that.

Monkey islands, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, etc.

omgomgomg

Lafazar

I'll be heartbroken if they bring their games to steam but not to gog.com. But I doubt the GOG people would NOT twitter about this, and so far it doesn't look like it:

http://twitter.com/gogcom said:
Happy Monday! Announcement later this week - some awesome strategy games coming up - and our pinball promo ends today! http://bit.ly/JvqDh

ghst

thanks for the laugh
a: a new way to pay for the games i already own.
b: a reinvigorated assault on my memories of these franchises. complete with all the required shitty next gen conventions.

boy can i hardly wait.

Darklord

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Old adventure games on Steam? Why not? VOOK called it.

If they just made them HD, I'd buy every single one. Curse of Monkey Island looks dreadful on this monitor, it's stretched to hell. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
ghst said:
a: a new way to pay for the games i already own.
b: a reinvigorated assault on my memories of these franchises. complete with all the required shitty next gen conventions.

boy can i hardly wait.

Well, if they re-release X-Wing and TIE Fighter with proper joystick support (could never get all three axis's working right in DOSBox), I'd rebuy them both day 1. Just need to be the iMuse versions though... but let's be honest, that ain't happening.

Darklord said:
If they just made them HD, I'd buy every single one. Curse of Monkey Island looks dreadful on this monitor, it's stretched to hell. :(

Re-releasing old games in HD to be perfect replicas of the earlier versions practically costs more than making new games. That will never happen. At best you'll get more of what happened with Monkey Island Special Edition, where all the artwork is redone in a different style.

Curse of Monkey Island runs perfect windowed, just do that. Or go to your video card options and manually adjust it not to scale fullscreen.

alex1893

bounchfx said:
holy shit, if they did this.. and if they had a LucasArts MegaPack.. I'd buy the living shit out of that.

Monkey islands, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, etc.

omgomgomg
there have been some MegaPacks in Europe already... i own this one:

61FV1A95Q9L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00004TOLA/

MI 1+2, Indy 3+4, Maniac Mansion, Zac McKracken, Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and Indy Desktop Adventures... guess this was Germany only.

and there was:

51fafEQe%2B4L._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011DXUAC/

with Sam & Max, Grim Fandango, The Dig and Full Throttle... this one seems UK only.

Let's see what will be announced. I would be happy with some HD versions of the old games, like Monkey Island... especially The Dig and Full Throttle, never player those 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No specific game announcement. Re-releases of classic adventure games on the DS.

Tim-E

It's going to be a Masters of Teräs Käsi remake with characters from every LucasArts game as playable fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom