• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at David Harbour as Hellboy

JdFoX187

Banned
Go watch The Descent immediately, one of the best horror films of the last decade

And then watch Dog Soldiers for the best modern werewolf movie

Doomsday is also good for just pure batshit insanity. I watched it again about a week ago for the first time in several years and it holds up well.

gabbo

Go watch The Descent immediately, one of the best horror films of the last decade

And then watch Dog Soldiers for the best modern werewolf movie
Wait, wait, wait. Neil "Dog Soldiers/The Descent" Marshall is in the directors chair for this? He's not whimsical like Del Toro, but hot damn if he doesn't up my interest level significantly from where it was.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wait, wait, wait. Neil "Dog Soldiers/The Descent" Marshall is in the directors chair for this? He's not whimsical like Del Toro, but hot damn if he doesn't up my interest level significantly from where it was.

Yeah its him.

Yup. Personally I'm imagining the horror edge of those two movies combined with the quality of action he brought to Game of Thrones and Doomsday

This look feels like it will be clover to be even more demonlike

I would guess people feet because it's a lot easier to do the previous movies already conditioned people to seeing him with human feet

Both Valid points. I thought people feet because it's easier to do but this look goes better with clover I think.

When I realized HB2 came out in 2008 I realized doing this is for the best.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Isn't Hellboy supposed to be bald on top? I always thought that was a cool look. Like one of those old samurai hairstyles with the knot at the back. But this motherfucker's rockin that widow's peak.

Doomsday is also good for just pure batshit insanity. I watched it again about a week ago for the first time in several years and it holds up well.

That doesn't seem to be a popular opinion but I do intend to watch that movie at some point. I started it back when it first came out on video and stopped for whatever reason.

dosh

Which comics are worth reading?
Most of them really. Hellboy stories are basically split into two categories: big ones like Seeds of Destruction, Conqueror Worm, etc. and smaller short stories like The Wolves of St Augustin.
The latter aren't always related to the "main" story, but I wouldn't ignore them either, if only because short horror form is where Hellboy truly shines in my very humble opinion. They also routinely constitutes some of Mignola's best work.

In short, you can start with Seeds and go from there. If you have the money, get this hardcover edition. It's as huge, heavy and gorgeous as Hellboy himself.

Did he not have hoofs last time?
He did not. Perlman wore big black leather boots.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hellboy is basically some #deeplore kind of stuff. Just grab everything you can, Seed of Destruction being the first in line.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Did he get ripped for this? He was... pretty mushy for his topless scene in Stranger Things.

Muscle suit. A pretty damn good one. But it helps that he's a burly man. He had some chub in ST, but you can tell he's one of those persons who can bulk out easily. Muscle suits on scrawny actors never look good, so he has that going, I guess.

Which comics are worth reading?

As people have already said, they're all worth reading. There are quite a few stand-alone stories but a lot of it consists of big story lines. This is a pretty decent reading order list. You can skip some of the side stuff like Edward Grey, Lobster Johnson, Sledgehammer etc, but they do help add to the main story line, and they're good reads.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looking forward to this the more I hear about it.

I need to get back to the comics too, I read almost all of Hellboy a while ago, but I have to jump into BPRD. I've been meaning to follow one of those neat reading lists that include everything and read all of it from start to end.

Top Bottom