• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mgs4 scans - bosses shown

bud

psycho_snake said:
The sorrow wasnt like that. He's got a story and its a pretty important one too. The fury had a story and obviously the boss had one too. Not all the bosses had a backgroud story like those from MGS1 and 2, but it wasnt taken out completely.

the fury did have a story but that so random, but the sorrow was significant to the plot. i quite liked that the bosses in mgs1 and mgs2 had background stories and were actually relevant to the plot - it made me care.

edit: i'm only talking about the cobra unit freaks.

psycho_snake said:
The sorrow wasnt like that. He's got a story and its a pretty important one too. The fury had a story and obviously the boss had one too. Not all the bosses had a backgroud story like those from MGS1 and 2, but it wasnt taken out completely.

I didn't say that all of the MGS3 bosses lacked a background, just that most of them were given a very simple one. And of course, some of them were integral to the plot (Ocelot, Volgin, The Boss). Kojima's probably doing the same thing for MGS4, the majority of the bosses are just that, bosses. While others have more presence in the plot (Vamp, Ocelot, possibly Eva, etc.)

Ceb

I suppose that "Guns of the Patriots" might be referring to the hired guns/PMCs rather than a rag-tag bunch of boss characters. A bit disappointing to miss out on stuff like "Gatling Gorilla", "Winchester Wallaby" and "Wesson Weasel". :D

The bosses look a little ridiculous but I've come to expect that from MGS. I'm more curious to how the boss battles will be like with the new gameplay. :D

darkvir

Those bosses look fantastic, I have no ideo what everyone is complaining about. They are really gonna compliment the more 'human' bosses the game will have. Awesome, can't wait till next year and the upcoming vid!

Ceb

SolidSnakex said:
In alot of ways I think the lack of backstory for the Cobra's was intentional because of the story they were trying to tell about how soldiers are treated. They're killed and that's it, most people never knew they existed and know nothing about them. And that's what the Cobra's were.

Agreed. They were "legendary heroes" of WWII, but in the end they went out without credit, much like The Boss.

big_z

i wonder how much konami had to pay to get the reject megaman bosses. they should have spent less time wedging snakes suit up his ass and more time designing bosses.

Mojovonio

Banned
This pretty much confirms the full game takes place in the middle-eastern setting.

Unless Kojima is really being a trickery.

Ploid 3.0

Man this thread is filled with funny replies.

The bosses have me interested. One of my favorite parts of MGS. The boss fights.

Mojovonio said:
This pretty much confirms the full game takes place in the middle-eastern setting.

Unless Kojima is really being a trickery.

The Vamp-Raiden fight was featured in the South America setting.

Ganondorfo

Defuser said:
Dammit,I'm dying to know who is the secret guest.It could be a megaton.

catucci1.gif

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Sad that there are still people that underestimate the greatness of Kojima. The bosses follow the protocol of almost every boss in metal gear. Heck they have the same animal names from MGS1. This is what we should be talking about, not "LOL OMG teh laughing octopus!" Seriously people who are arguing about what they look like are just haters. Bring this game on, im ready.

Dahbomb

OMFG @ these new scans!

At first i thought "OMG not another Shadow Moses simulator" but then I looked at the bosses again and aside from sharing similar names to their MGS1 counterparts but they are TOTALLY different. Like Octopus is a woman now... :lol (NB4 Octopussy jokes)

It's obvious that these bosses use the same technology as the new MGS's. Cyberkinetics FTW!

tanod

when is my burrito
Geek said:
They're already showing the trailer. Was surprised to come back here and see no discussion about it.

Basically, Screaming Mantis controls people like they were marionette dolls, twisting them until their bones break and they expire.

Laughin Octopus is disguised as, i don't know, something that just looks like a totem made of coils. Then he/she picks up PMC soldiers, constricting them or skewering them with a mechanical tentacle.

It's totally different from the other trailers.

OMFG!!

:O

theguy

Kojima, this time around, just release the damn game when you say you're going to. No more excuses and no more delays. That's all I want.

Enough of the complaining about Laughing Pussy Woman. She can wrap her tentacles around my Snake all she wants as long as she comes when she's supposed to.

bud

they look pretty awesome in motion, ssx. when octopus ''walked'' away at the end it kinda reminded me of doc ock in spider-man 2. there seem to be two puppets or something on mantis' ''arms.'' you can see them really good when there are 26 seconds left. i wonder what they do.

lackey

bosses are awesome! Sup with all the hate?, are all these coming from people who dont own a ps3? anyways, i can't wait for msg4!.

Bebpo

Banned
So going by the description of the trailer earlier in the thread, the bosses have the same powers that the MGS1 bosses of the same name did?

Psycho Mantis = Telekinesis
Decoy Octopus = Camouflage/Disguise-changing

Darkpen

Banned
bud said:
they look pretty awesome in motion, ssx. when octopus ''walked'' away at the end it kinda reminded me of doc ock in spider-man 2. there seem to be two puppets or something on mantis' ''arms.'' you can see them really good when there are 26 seconds left. i wonder what they do.
I pointed out the puppets earlier, and I assume they're used to manipulate actual people, as was shown in the video. Pretty crazy stuff.

The doc-oc similarity is unsurprisingly prevalent, though one could make a connection with Solidus's suit as well.

castle007 said:
WTH was Kojima thinking?

He's obviously trying to ensure nobody will force him to make a 5th.

Really though, almost everything about MGS4 has been so absolutely preposterous that it has to be deliberate fuck you to people that take the games seriously.

And :lol x50 @ wolf's huge shiny ass.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I don't own a PS3 and probably never will. So maybe my opinion is skewed but.

OMG, best bosses ever. I can't believe they are this badass. Raging Raven is the best looking MGS boss. He is insane.

Darkpen

Banned
ParticleReality said:
HAHA!

I knew Psycho Mantis would make a comeback....wait, how do we beat him now? THERE ARE NO CONTROLLER PORTS!?!!? OH MY GOD WERE DOOMED!
Its not Psycho Mantis, its A mantis, as in someone or someTHING with the same codename.

Bebpo put it rather nicely, which is that they appear to have the same skills as their predecessors (to some degree).

kurahadol

Been waiting for this, couldn't have asked for anything better. Now I just hope this Mantis doesn't know that I like Castlevania, sneaky bastard.

Top Bottom