• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure what the overlap is there but they look like the same designs. Maybe they both get them from the same manufacturer or something?

IIRC they (RCG) had mentioned they had very little control over their designs since they had a chinese manufacturer produce the faceplates and that caused clones to be out there.

DtOGMqV.png

I've been looking for a reasonably-priced Micro off an on for about a year.

Still don't have one :/

You should check our very own B/S/T thread over at the community side from time to time. I see Micros get offered there at very reasonable prices now and then.

Also, since this thread is lacking in Micro pictures lately, here's mine with the Zelda faceplate:

BkaDsxf.jpg

Falchion

I remember I went on a trip one time and we visited Nintendo World in New York. One of the kids that was with us spent all the money he had brought with him on a Micro and everyone laughed at him for wasting it on such a small system with a tiny screen. We were like, if you really want a new Game Boy, why not just get the SP or save a little bit more for the DS?

Looking back I feel the exact same way and would laugh at him again. I went straight from my original GBA to the DS and have no regrets. It's a cool, quirky system though if you're a collector or really, REALLY want a small Game Boy.

Also as a side note, the kid later ended up regretting the purchase because a few days later we went into a store that had a cheap copy of Kingdom Hearts that he wanted but since he blew it all on the Micro he couldn't' afford it. Ended up crying in the store but he learned a valuable lesson about saving money.

God i want one so much <3

does anyone know of a good place to get one from? i live in the UK and they are really expensive on amazon plus i don't wanna risk getting it and it's in poor condition

i want a game boy micro!!

Time for a bump!

There's a rad little shop on etsy I discovered called 8bitevolution who sell repro carts for various consoles and all kinds of cool stuff. While browsing their page I saw they were selling newly-produced Game Boy Micro faceplates, and, well, a short $15 click later, I couldn't resist.

zadb4zF.jpg

This thing kicks all sorts of ass. It even has the original Game Boy texture to it. They've got some more available atm including a Zelda one and an NES-themed one amongst a few others. $15 is a little pricey but I can assure you this was so worth it.
Thanks a lot. I ordered mine shortly after you posted this two days ago. It was the last available OG GB faceplate at the time :3 which I sorely need because my GB Micro is super naked right now

The stars have aligned!

I just purchased a Micro via Craigslist along with Tetris Worlds for a whopping $55.

There's some dust under the faceplate and a few dings, but I could not beat that price!
After a little cleanup, this baby will look as good as new!

me said:

The stars have aligned!

I just purchased a Micro via Craigslist along with Tetris Worlds for a whopping $55.

There's some dust under the faceplate and a few dings, but I could not beat that price!
After a little cleanup, this baby will look as good as new!

Hey, that's a great price! I always wanted a black one but the silver one I have now looks just fine. It's a little beat up but I love the new faceplate :p

pic137sb4.jpg

pic2ugs29.jpg

Shaneus

Hey, that's a great price! I always wanted a black one but the silver one I have now looks just fine. It's a little beat up but I love the new faceplate :p
Shit, that looks great with the silver. Makes me wish I didn't have a red one :(

Do we know if the gold Famicom covers are the same matte texture?

wiibomb

I really want one gameboy micro since long ago.. but I still find the prices to be pretty hight.. I mean.. one in the B/S/T thread with box is a whooping $200... hard to go with one at that price

rosesaredan

Neo Member
I used to have one but it disappeared... I would really think about getting one if there were good emulation options for it. Id really like to be able to carry older gameboy games and the like on it.

The urge is strong.

BOTEC

I've got a stupid question. The Micro came with its own power plug, right? I just pulled my Micro out of storage in the original packaging, but I didn't find a power plug in there. Remarkably the battery still had a charge. Time to replay Final Fantasy V.

BOTEC

Yes it came with it's own AC Adapter and I believe the connector is unique to the Micro as well.

OK, that's what I thought as well. Time to dive into the dreaded drawer-o-cords to see if I can fish it out. You wouldn't happen to know the model number?

Edit: Found it. And if anybody else wanted to know, it's OXY-002

All right, Micro fans, I'm here to be convinced this is the best system to play GBA games on.

I have a list of GBA games that I've been meaning to play for some years now, and I'm on a mission to allocate proper hardware to get maximum enjoyment out of these games. I have more or less written off the Game Boy Advance SP because I hate the form factor and there's no headphone jack without an adapter. Which means this is a battle between the Game Boy Micro and an original Game Boy Advance properly modded with the SP's backlit screen.

Cost is not a factor. I'm not looking for the lowest entry barrier. I want the best experience possible.

I understand the superior pixel density of the Micro, but that screen looks goddamn microscopic. I have never seen a Micro in person and really don't have a proper understanding of how small the screen really is. But in direct competition with the original GBA, I don't know if I can stand the size. I'll be playing games like Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Castlevania, and I feel like a sense of scope (even handheld) benefits these games.

I want to hear opinions, comparisons, and possibly even see a Micro next to an original GBA in a representative photograph. I will leave this thread either proven right, or a new inductee to the Cult of Micro.

All right, Micro fans, I'm here to be convinced this is the best system to play GBA games on.

I have a list of GBA games that I've been meaning to play for some years now, and I'm on a mission to allocate proper hardware to get maximum enjoyment out of these games. I have more or less written off the Game Boy Advance SP because I hate the form factor and there's no headphone jack without an adapter. Which means this is a battle between the Game Boy Micro and an original Game Boy Advance properly modded with the SP's backlit screen.

Cost is not a factor. I'm not looking for the lowest entry barrier. I want the best experience possible.

I understand the superior pixel density of the Micro, but that screen looks goddamn microscopic. I have never seen a Micro in person and really don't have a proper understanding of how small the screen really is. But in direct competition with the original GBA, I don't know if I can stand the size. I'll be playing games like Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Castlevania, and I feel like a sense of scope (even handheld) benefits these games.

I want to hear opinions, comparisons, and possibly even see a Micro next to an original GBA in a representative photograph. I will leave this thread either proven right, or a new inductee to the Cult of Micro.
OG is obviously not back lit, but here you go.

RM8

Does anyone have any experience with these generic faceplates?

41krNYI8jNL.jpg

412z03QA0hL.jpg

They seem to get mostly... bad reviews :/ But I'm considering risking buying one of these.

RM8

Finding faceplates seems impossible :( Mine is in pretty great shape, except for a tiny scratch that is slightly visible with dark backgrounds. I'd like a 100% scratch-free screen :[

BTW I'm getting my battery fixed this week. Or at least I'll get my Micro checked because the start/select buttons keep blinking in red even if it's fully charged, I wonder if that'll be fixed with a new battery.

S4yWCYd.jpg

Not only it's a bit distracting, but it makes it impossible to know when the battery is actually about to die :(

Official faceplates are impossible to find. You have to be careful with repros because they seem to have their paint right on the topside of the faceplate while the official ones have their paint embedded in the faceplate. Also, sometimes the edges can be a little off but not enough to get on your nerves.

I ordered from this seller on AliExpress and I'm satisfied with what I got. Be advised that you only get one faceplate. But you also get a screen protector that covers the whole faceplate with holes for the buttons and d-pad and I can't find that design anywhere. Also, instead of "Nintendo" it says "Ninfendo" but I kinda like that part, it's funny.

RM8

So the screen is uncovered with those plates? I guess it makes sense that they include a screen protector. I might buy these Ninfendo ones :p

Yes, the paint is applied right on top of the faceplate.

I'm hoping to get one of those DMG GameBoy style faceplates. If anyone knows of any for sale, let me know. I'll probably order another one from that AliExpress seller too just for that screen protector since I can't find it anywhere else.

Peagles

I got the DMG ones from Alibaba. They say 100 units order minimum, but I messaged them and they let me order a smaller lot.

A10Pilot

I would like to get a micro now for extra portability. Is ebay and amazon the only place to find these? I don't ever see them in the wild at all.

Also, anyone know of a place to get good faceplates like the official ones that cover the screen?

prateeko

I would like to get a micro now for extra portability. Is ebay and amazon the only place to find these? I don't ever see them in the wild at all.

Also, anyone know of a place to get good faceplates like the official ones that cover the screen?

You can check this thread and the B/S/T for GAFers selling them

There are reproduction plates on eBay and Aliexpress of varying quality. Nintendo's original are best but since they haven't made any in a while the ones in the wild are beat up :(

They had a few GB Micros at a game store in Beaverton, Oregon the last time I was there, and I thought about buying one because I thought I had lost mine.

Luckily my Micro actually turned up again. It's really portable and fun to play on.

Hydrus

Welp, I just impulsed bought a Famicom GB Micro for $110! It supposedly is new and looks in good shape from the pics I've seen. Dammit GAF for showing me these sexy micros. I've always wanted one.

Nice to see a Game Boy Micro appreciation thread!

I ordered a black Japanese Game Boy Micro and Bit Generations Dotstream recently, for the black faceplate + chassis, and lack of serial number sticker on the back. But the faceplate is completely scratched up, which is a real shame, and the official black faceplates (OXY-005) seem all but impossible to find now.

Still, it's a wonderful little device, I'm surprised at how well the design of it has held up. The metal build makes it feel really solid today, and the only thing I'd change is, well, the faceplates. They are a tad too far from the screen itself, which feels odd in the days where screen panels are bonded to the glass.

Also: I was gutted for missing out on this brand new blue GBM: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtg-Ninte...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
Nintendo's smallest handheld was also its most stylish

Technically their smallest handheld was the Pokémon Mini, but I agree that Micros be stylin'. I have two pink ones, and lament not taking better care of them because the screens are scuffed up. But definitely my choice for playing GBA on the go (still love my OG GBA though).

I have an EUR model Game Boy Micro and a JPN model, and I just noticed that the EUR model has a difference: The START AND SELECT buttons.

With my JPN model, Nintendo used Start and Select buttons that have individual cut-outs around the text, like so:

This leads to the text START and SELECT only lighting up whenever the blue or red LEDs flash.

The EUR model seems to forego this in favour of what is arguably a simpler part: there's no longer any cut-out lettering, and the entire button now flashes either blue or red, instead of just the lettering. It's less elegant as you can see below:

I'm not sure if this is related to the region or just later batches of Game Boy Micros, let me know how your Micro's buttons light up and we can find out!

Datschge

I guess they changed the metallic layer to a simple metallic paint. I have the EUR model and the paint is coming off in parts. =(

Thanks for checking HotHamBoy!

Yeah, I think you're right. In the JP/NA models the START/SELECT buttons are actual chrome, like the L and R buttons, with engraved cut outs for the text.

But the EU models seem to be plastic with paint, it's a real shame as it adds inconsistency with the rest of the design :/

Datschge

Well, it consistent here, because the L and R buttons are also paint on mine, with paint coming off. =P
Ah well, I guess at some point I'll take out the four buttons and varnish them with something better.

Just had another look at my EU and JPN Micros.

Yeah, the L and R buttons are also different. The EU models seem to use faux-chrome, it's a more plastic-y and wavy finish that looks more painted. The colour is also less silver.

My scratched-up JPN model's L and R buttons are more silver in colour, have a less wavy (straight) finish, and the scratches are just scratches showing more of the same material underneath, I can't see paint coming off or chipping off.

randomwab

So I bought a copy of FFVI Advance and dug my Micro out. Popped the faceplate off to give it a clean and now it won't clip to the micro when I try to put it back. Seems like the faceplate itself is fine, the hooks like perfect. If whatever those hooks clip onto in the micro itself have broke, am I screwed? This happened to anyone else?

Wolfe

So I bought a copy of FFVI Advance and dug my Micro out. Popped the faceplate off to give it a clean and now it won't clip to the micro when I try to put it back. Seems like the faceplate itself is fine, the hooks like perfect. If whatever those hooks clip onto in the micro itself have broke, am I screwed? This happened to anyone else?

Can you post pics or something? Having a hard time visualizing the scenario as on the GBM side it's just holes that the clips pop into right?

Top Bottom