• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

Par Score

Never played the first Splatoon and haven't played a console FPS since Halo 2.

Preparing for several hours of getting viciously inked over the weekend.

To all new players, you are going to play a sequel of a very special game. You will probably be destroyed by veterans, but don't be discouraged since these people must have played hundreds of hours to be that good. Just have fun and enjoy the game.

Lucifon

C7qx1xkU8AARsnL.jpg

Right stick still locked to one sensitivity slider then... X and Y axis can be inverted separately. The issue with the first game was that the vertical sensitivity differed to the horizontal and there was no way to adjust it. Looks like the same problem could occur. It felt horrible to aim using the stick, but I hate gyro controls. I'm hoping the pro controller this time will help though, no more loose sticks.

correojon

If you decide to try and get one today, good luck. They're super scarce right now.
I´ve been checking the major retairlers´sites in my city and it seems there are some available. Hope I don´t get any nasty surprises if/when I actually go to the shop.

To all new players, you are going to play a sequel of a very special game. You will probably be destroyed by veterans, but don't be discouraged since these people must have played hundreds of hours to be that good. Just have fun and enjoy the game.
Yeah, this is a game where the whole team wins or loses, so just try to ink as much as possible and have a good time, killing enemies helps but is not what the game´s about!

SomTervo

I'll post these in this thread too, just incase they are helpful for anyone.

COUNTDOWNS

Since the times are simultaneous worldwide. I used the UTC times and made some GMT countdowns clocks over at secondapps.

UTC Times
Code:
UTC - Friday   24th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00

1st - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490382000z0.png

2nd - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490410800z0.png

3rd - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490439600z0.png

4th - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490468400z0.png

5th - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490497200z0.png

6th - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490526000z0.png

Thanks CDX.

I'm curious about how this staggered testfire works though. Is it only on for very short periods of time? Like literally one hour? Seems ridiculous if so.

Robin64

Thanks CDX.

I'm curious about how this staggered testfire works though. Is it only on for very short periods of time? Like literally one hour? Seems ridiculous if so.

One hour per session, yes. It's a stress test, not a beta.

(Well it is technically a beta, but not in the same way other companies present them now)

Kouichi

Oh man it's been so long since I've played Splatoon. I'm excited to get back into it with this.

I'm going all in on the Dualies.

11redder

Don't know if anyone has already said this, but if you have a proxy server set up for the Switch, you can browse the internet with Splatoon 2 music in the background by attempting to connect to the Testfire.

Zedark

Just in case...

It's a SERVER STRESS TEST

Can't wait btw
So... I should expect perfect server functionality or else panic? Gotcha, thanks for the heads up!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
No.. salted squids are a delicacy

Anteo

Yeah i dont really care about turfwars, the other modes are much more fun. So I dont feel bad foe missing the stress test this time.

gweemz

Haven't played since the first week the first one came out, but looking forward to this (and probably being very bad at the game).

SomTervo

One hour per session, yes. It's a stress test, not a beta.

(Well it is technically a beta, but not in the same way other companies present them now)

Very interesting. I've been in tens of betas and tests for every type of game and never seen it done this way.

McNum

Excited to finally play a Splatoon game.

I'm going to die so much. Lord watch over me.
Newbie tip: In Turf War, the team with the most ground covered wins, not the team with the most kills. You can play backmarker and paint everything the rest of the team missed and more often than not, end up the top scorer for the team.

Paint the ground. If you're ever in doubt what to do, paint the ground more.

espher

Very interesting. I've been in tens of betas and tests for every type of game and never seen it done this way.

That's probably because the bulk of the 'betas' and 'tests' over the past decade and change are basically 'marketing betas' where they're trying to sell you on the basically-final product. At least, that's been the case for all but, like, four in which I participated - and those four were closed betas w/ NDAs.

Shahadan

You're not taking part in stress tests then, or just some taking place during pre-existing betas, which still would happen in an arbitrarily short time frame because that's what fucking stress tests are. That's great, let's talk about this again and again for no reason.

Christ, calm down. It's not a problem. I'm literally just saying it's interesting. I always guessed that online beta tests inherently including stress testing in opening minutes and peak times, but hey.

My post probably sounded more agressive than intended lol, sorry, I'm just tired of that and the port thing being constantly talked about on every page in multiple threads. I guess not everyone reads previous replies though.

Or just be a sneak and avoid combat and paint away.

SomTervo

You're not taking part in stress tests then, or just some taking place during pre-existing betas, which still would happen in an arbitrarily short time frame because that's what fucking stress tests are. That's great, let's talk about this again and again for no reason.

Christ, calm down. It's not a problem. I'm literally just saying it's interesting. I always guessed that online beta tests inherently including stress testing in opening minutes and peak times, but hey.

This is true too though, for many I've taken part in:

That's probably because the bulk of the 'betas' and 'tests' over the past decade and change are basically 'marketing betas' where they're trying to sell you on the basically-final product. At least, that's been the case for all but, like, four in which I participated - and those four were closed betas w/ NDAs.

iFirez

This is at 7pm tonight right (UK Time)? Exciting. I did terribly when I played Splatoon 2 at a Switch Pre-release event but after a month playing Zelda, my familiarity with the controls and motion controls are much better. Pro controller here I come.

Chucker

My daughter has been asking every day since the download came out of it was "today".

I haven't had the heart to tell her that the first test is while she's at school, and by the second one she'll be fast asleep. Feels bad, man.
I'll be able to get the AM one tomorrow with her though.

I'm so down for another colorful shooter, after PopCap butchered Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 there's been nothing else like it. That was in my top 5 favorite games ever and after the incomprehensible changes they made that ruined the game I'm really excited to have something else to fill the void :D

Gestault

Right stick still locked to one sensitivity slider then... X and Y axis can be inverted separately. The issue with the first game was that the vertical sensitivity differed to the horizontal and there was no way to adjust it. Looks like the same problem could occur. It felt horrible to aim using the stick, but I hate gyro controls. I'm hoping the pro controller this time will help though, no more loose sticks.

So here's the thing: I'm pretty solid normally with shooters on a controller, and I felt totally competent controlling original Splatoon that way, but a friend who played primarily with gyro controls was able to easily keep pace (if not regularly stomp me) in situations where we'd normally be reversed.

Consider training yourself up with gyro. I don't love it either, but I've seen it work.

Didn't really enjoy Splatoon or the Splatoon 2 demo I've already played, but I'll be participating in this because why not

I plan on buying Splatoon 2 so why even front :p

Lucifon

So here's the thing: I'm pretty solid normally with shooters on a controller, and I felt totally competent controlling original Splatoon that way, but a friend who played primarily with gyro controls was able to easily keep pace (if not regularly stomp me) in situations where we'd normally be reversed.

Consider training yourself up with gyro. I don't love it either, but I've seen it work.

I just don't enjoy gyro controls at all. They're not something I've ever enjoyed in a game, let alone a competitive shooter. I don't doubt people can master them, but for me personally it's just not an accurate form of controller input. I find them ultra frustrating to use.

Plum

My NAT Type is D (the strictest one I think). I've had no luck playing Fast RMX multiplayer but hopefully with the amount of people playing this I should get a few matches.

This is the main reason I want to get a Switch. I loved the original, although I dropped off it a bit when they released the last maps and raised the level cap.

I hope the Custom Splattershot Jr. is in, that's if it's not been confirmed, and is the same as the original. That was the only gun I really get comfortable using.

Bracket

This a long shot, but is there (going to be) online splitscreen in the game this time around?

By the way, I could never get used to the gyro controls in the first, but so far the motion controls seem much more manageable on the switch if Zelda is anything to go by. I'm looking forward to trying to get a grasp on them again.

Top Bottom