• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

Briarios

I love it - partially because I have terrible RNG luck with loot crates, and when I opened the ME3 loyalty crate, before playing a round, I got two ultra rare characters and a rare -- in one package lol I've been spending most of my time with the Salarian Operator and the Human Kineticist

I have just started playing the Krogan engineer and noticed this myself. I assume its because the character in question is a female - or a high-talker.
I'd have preferred the devs kept the Krogans as males, or give us a choice of sex, like they do with human characters.
Yeah I have zero problems with female characters, the asari are my favorite race in the series

But I mean come on, what is this high talker going to sound like when in bloodlust?

Voice don't match the body, didn't we have a female krogan in ME3? Felt like that voice acting was done right.

HvySky

I'm not in my final form until I unlock my Black Widow and can start popping heads from the other side of the map. My Infiltrator is not complete without it.

Game is still amazing.

Yeah I have zero problems with female characters, the asari are my favorite race in the series

But I mean come on, what is this high talker going to sound like when in bloodlust?

Voice don't match the body, didn't we have a female krogan in ME3? Felt like that voice acting was done right.

Yeah, but it is safe to assume this is a 'younger' female Krogan as the engineer. The ME3 femme Krogan was a matriarch type of character, so it made sense for her to have a lower, more mature sound to her.

I find the Engineer's comments excellent. "I'll race ya!" and "I'm a comin'!" Sounds like someone having fun.

KKRT00

I really wish the skills and weapon switch animations were way faster. It feels way to clunky at times.
I'm actually pretty certain that those animations were faster in ME 3.

-----------------
Hmm, when we were DCed from a host, it was migrated, but we just restarted the *current* wave.
It depends on which special objective wave you completed

It happened twice in the same silver match, first host migration was at the end of 2nd wave, second at the end of 5th wave. Both reset to wave 0 ;/

Jamaro85

DirectX error crashing my game in the middle of a match, the second time now. Wtf?

Edit: More like it gives me a black screen which won't let me switch to another window or do anything other than try to close it. And even after that the ME process is still running. Seriously, wtf.

Gosu Noob said:
Mass Effect Andromeda DirectX crash
A number of users are reporting the trial crashing roughly 5 minutes after character creation, along with a DirectX error message. Some have reported the following helped:

Reinstalling the graphics card drivers.
Reinstalling DirectX and VC++ Redist using the installers in the game directory.

Hopefully this works.

What does it mean to draw a duplicate card of a character and then they upgrade to level II? Do their stats go up?

Really enjoying the multiplayer a lot more now that not everyone is a level 1 noob and you can actually make a dent in the enemies.

Xevren

What does it mean to draw a duplicate card of a character and then they upgrade to level II? Do their stats go up?

Really enjoying the multiplayer a lot more now that not everyone is a level 1 noob and you can actually make a dent in the enemies.

Each card gives you an extra character customization (until 5) and skill points.

Sick of getting kicked out of matches and having errors at the end of completed matches leading to no exp/money and thus a complete waste of time.

I'll wait for them to figure out all the fuck ups and bugs before I jump back in.

I'd love to try it but A) It has crashed for half of the matches I've gotten into and B) There is no force start timer once 3/4 players are ready. I've spent more time in the damn lobby than actually in game. Amateur hour.

I'd love to try it but A) It has crashed for half of the matches I've gotten into and B) There is no force start timer once 3/4 players are ready. I've spent more time in the damn lobby than actually in game. Amateur hour.

Yeah, when I wonder what the hold up is, and I see that slacking player's color scheme switch, I usually drop that group. If I was in with a pack of three friends, where we could actually talk, that would be different. But the clocksuckers who are inconsiderate of everyone's time really piss me off.

I got the N7 Valkyrie that thing is awesome I even got it upgraded to plus 2. I've had good luck getting N7 rank cards but my frigging human engineer is still rank 2. : (

KKRT00

I got the N7 Valkyrie that thing is awesome I even got it upgraded to plus 2. I've had good luck getting N7 rank cards but my frigging human engineer is still rank 2. : (

Spent everything you earn on basic packs and you'll get him to lvl 10 quick fast.

Kneecap

You have to connect to EA servers for logging XP gains, logging store purchases, etc. While it's P2P, the multiplayer client crashes if you lose connection to EA servers at any time in the lobby or during a match. On US West Coast during peak gaming hours, the drops are constant rendering the game unplayable.

Same is true here in Wisconsin. I've been dumped to desktop 10 straight times during peak playtimes. This, combined with the shorter match length will cause you to go through your consumables faster (especially if you play on silver or above).

This game is all about incentivizing the EA cash grab.

Crosseyes

Banned
It's pretty damn fun when it works.

I rarely host but I'd say 75% of the time it's laggy, but still playable. You get used to slight delay from impact to registration, although melee is never easy to try and perform without a ton of jank.

That other 25% of the time though... yeesh. You can spam circle all you want to try and escape a bad situation but you just stutter-warp right back to where you are until you die.

KKRT00

Same is true here in Wisconsin. I've been dumped to desktop 10 straight times during peak playtimes. This, combined with the shorter match length will cause you to go through your consumables faster (especially if you play on silver or above).

This game is all about incentivizing the EA cash grab.

You dont need to use consumables on silver.

Regarding throwing to desktop, game really crashed ingame only once for me.
When its laggy just leave the game and connect to next one, dont waste time on it, plenty of better hosts.

----
Regarding hosting games with one friends and nobody joining, it figured out that when you create a custom match for APEX you get a priority and you get people to join quite fast, then you just switch to normal modes or it was just pure luck ;p

I definitely have to say, after playing 30 or so matches, that something seems off with the difficulty tuning--specifically enemy health. I have no problem with enemies being lethal, but when a black widow can't kill a shielded enemy with 3 headshots on silver, I don't know, seems like a bit much. Everything is just such a damage sponge, and enemy density seems much higher than me3 at the same time. Maybe things change as levels increase, but it seems that even higher tier guns are barely making a dent in most enemies, and biotic and other combos seem to hardly do any additional damage at all. What was appealing about biotic explosions in 3 was that when you set them up you could clear a room full of enemies in a second; here it seems like, maybe you get a bit of extra damage on the detonated target, and put a (small) dent in anything that is super, super close by. And would be shield stripping powers like overload and energy drain... take less than half of an 'weak' enemy's shield out on bronze.

Has anyone progressed far enough to indicate whether this changes substantially as you gear up?

Maledict

Can I just clarify - you need to get 10 copies of the ultra-rare character cards in order to fully unlock all the points for that character? ? ?

Whales

Banned
I love the MP but the lag can get unbearable sometimes

also I cant be the only one to havr noticed that headshot hitboxes are fucked? Idk if its because im not the host but sooo many times I shoot something in its sweetspot and it doesnt register as one.

Its more jarring because I play a sniper rifle salarian infiltrator.m. (flashbacks to ME3MP, lol)

Im comfortable doing silver now and my character is level 15. When is a good time to move to gold?

KKRT00

I definitely have to say, after playing 30 or so matches, that something seems off with the difficulty tuning--specifically enemy health. I have no problem with enemies being lethal, but when a black widow can't kill a shielded enemy with 3 headshots on silver, I don't know, seems like a bit much. Everything is just such a damage sponge, and enemy density seems much higher than me3 at the same time. Maybe things change as levels increase, but it seems that even higher tier guns are barely making a dent in most enemies, and biotic and other combos seem to hardly do any additional damage at all. What was appealing about biotic explosions in 3 was that when you set them up you could clear a room full of enemies in a second; here it seems like, maybe you get a bit of extra damage on the detonated target, and put a (small) dent in anything that is super, super close by. And would be shield stripping powers like overload and energy drain... take less than half of an 'weak' enemy's shield out on bronze.

Has anyone progressed far enough to indicate whether this changes substantially as you gear up?

Regarding gearing up and progression. I play with a friend in public matches, he is Asari Adept, i am Human Infiltrator and we can kill silver Outlaw Hydra in about 10 seconds with bionic combos from both his lance and throw and my Incinerate and my 4 grenades. I also use Widow IV.
Silver for us is really easy even in mediocre teams, especially against outlaws.
We generally finish Silver in about 14 minutes on average.

---
also I cant be the only one to havr noticed that headshot hitboxes are fucked? Idk if its because im not the host but sooo many times I shoot something in its sweetspot and it doesnt register as one.

Yes, its due to lag, in rare cases due to accuracy.

Regarding gearing up and progression. I play with a friend in public matches, he is Asari Adept, i am Human Infiltrator and we can kill silver Outlaw Hydra in about 10 seconds with bionic combos from both his lance and throw and my Incinerate and my 4 grenades. I also use Widow IV.
Silver for us is really easy for us even in mediocre teams, especially against outlaws.
We generally finish Silver in about 14 minutes on average.

Have definitely found Outlaws to be by far the easiest faction, with Kett being a nightmare. It may be that I just need to acclimate to the differences between this and 3, which I'm fine with in general, it's just a bit jarring how (relatively) resilient basically every enemy type is versus me3.

oneils

Can I just clarify - you need to get 10 copies of the ultra-rare character cards in order to fully unlock all the points for that character? ? ?

Yes. You will need to get 10 cards. I played a male soldier to level 20 and got about 60 points. Didn't get the remaining points until I got the card to level "X."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, Vanguard is fucking amazing on Gold, at least against Outlaws. I feel like a team of 3 Vanguards + 1 Infiltrator as it stands probably breaks the game completely. lol

It's not Geth desk grabbing, but Gold farming is completely trivial now.

Wow, Vanguard is fucking amazing on Gold, at least against Outlaws. I feel like a team of 3 Vanguards + 1 Infiltrator as it stands probably breaks the game completely. lol

It's not Geth desk grabbing, but Gold farming is completely trivial now.

Ahh, I too remember 'high-fiving' Geth on Firebase Glacier for days...

Whales

Banned
Yeah i kinda wish we could still grab from cover like that :(

also man, playing with a laggy host is the worst... Literally got grabbed from across a room by those brutes wannabee and got instakilled... Shades of magnet hands right there

Man, that Juggernaut Shield does make a difference in gameplay. I'm almost one shotting enemy mobs as a low level Krogan Mercenary, and I'm enjoying it! Time to level up that Rage passive line~

RdN

Got a Sweeper from the 50k pack and was excited about getting a Gold assault rifle.. But god damn, this thing sucks.

Whales

Banned
how do you raise your apex level? just doing strikes?

im in a lobby with people over 7k apex rating... im at 600. How did they raise it so fast?

Sai

My Astro A50 just abruptly sparked out on me. Thought it was another multiplayer audio glitch at first, then I started messing around with the dashboard to make sure... Re-synced, re-plugged, no dice.

Never have the volume on these things all that loud, and there were none of the usual signs of deterioration; no crackling sounds or anything... And I can still hear the on-off noises just fine, if they were really busted, I wouldn't hear that, right?

Really don't want to spend more money right now. ._.

[EDIT] - Okay, never mind. Gave the Xbox One a cold reboot, re-synced the headset a third time, and now its working... Weird. Never experienced that before.

El Jaffe

Damn, I've had PS+ for 5 years and only used online with Demon's Souls in 2013, so when it ran out last week I decided I wasn't going to renew. Tried a 2 day trial of the PS+ to play the multi-player here and memories of the 300+hrs I played of ME3 multi-player on xbox came flooding back. Guess I'm going to have to renew.

oneils

how do you raise your apex level? just doing strikes?

im in a lobby with people over 7k apex rating... im at 600. How did they raise it so fast?

You get it from completing matches and challenges. I have 4500 after about 75 matches or so in bronze and buying basic packs.

Snagret

What's the deal with that new map I played on yesterday? Are they just not adding it to the regular rotation? They need to start adding more maps asap, it really feels like I'm just playing the same couple maps over and over.

Also, does anyone else feel like the random selection for factions majorly skews toward the kett? My achievements for kett are already at 95%, compared to the outlaw's 50% and the robot's 30%

What's the deal with that new map I played on yesterday? Are they just not adding it to the regular rotation? They need to start adding more maps asap, it really feels like I'm just playing the same couple maps over and over.

Also, does anyone else feel like the random selection for factions majorly skews toward the kett? My achievements for kett are already at 95%, compared to the outlaw's 50% and the robot's 30%

I also feel that a lot of the matches are skewed towards kett for some reason. Though I think I might have been joining random lobbies that had selected to run kett and I wasn't paying attention. Lately I've been in a bunch of games with people running Outlaws/Outcasts/whatever they're called, I think because they're the 'easier' of the factions to beat up on.

RS4-

Cheers

Do you get only get MP loot boxes from buying them with credits or doing challenges, or are they sometimes random rewards for missions?

I have to look it up again, but I think challenges only get you name plates. Tutorial might've been the only thing that actually rewards a chest. So yeah, credits or real money for chests.

So tense when all 3 of your teammates are dead and you desperately make your way to a chokepoint, and burn through all of your supplies to get to the next round

Dave_6

I can't even play a match on PC anymore. Either crashes before the match starts or completely hard locks my PC right before going into the match. :/

Ascendant orbs have way too much health, trying to deal with them during a hacking mission is the most frustrating thing in this game. You can't even kill them with the cobra missiles since their bubbles make them immune to damage.

Jamaro85

So... others have issues with sound cutting out mid match? It's literally just game sound as I can even still hear teammates on the in game chat. So annoying.

Top Bottom