• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

preta

I'm not too well-versed in the series lore - I know about most of 1's, I think, and some of how it connects to 3, but hardly any of 2 (though I haven't played much of it anyway), and not a whole lot of the new stuff introduced in 3. What would be a good way to catch up on it (including AoA's lore) before Ringed City? I know there are some lore explanation video creators out there that tend to present their own theories as fact, and I'd prefer to avoid that and stick just to what's more solid.

I'm not too well-versed in the series lore - I know about most of 1's, I think, and some of how it connects to 3, but hardly any of 2 (though I haven't played much of it anyway), and not a whole lot of the new stuff introduced in 3. What would be a good way to catch up on it (including AoA's lore) before Ringed City? I know there are some lore explanation video creators out there that tend to present their own theories as fact, and I'd prefer to avoid that and stick just to what's more solid.
There really is no other short way.

so i bought it but when i click "View downloadable content" it says "Not Installed." is there a way to force Steam to pre-install it?

Downloading DLC but its about 11.10pm...gonna leave it till my friend's awake in the morning :p Hope everyone enjoys it.

can't believe it's almost over...

Ferr986

Just popped on EU PSN Store. 3GB.

Time to sleep, I'll start it tomorrow night with a nice beer and pizza like this game deserves :)

To this day anytime I see someone streaming Tower of Latria I watch. Even if the Super Bowl is on :p

Descending into the Depths for the first time, falling from a failed jump and getting owned by a hive of curse frogs. Oh the good times.

And don't even get me started on the PVP in DS2.

As someone who has been there with every game from Day 1 and never quit, I do think we need a break. Bloodborne was amazing but DS3 showed that there aren't that many surprises left for us vets. Ready for something new from this genius that is Miyazaki.

And I'll say it again: I can play every Souls game on my PS4 in glorious 1080p EXCEPT MY TWO FAVORITE GAMES. It's time for Demon's and Dark Souls Remasters!!!

Damn. How connected is 2's lore to 3 anyway? The impression I got was that it barely was at all.

There is little connection between 2's lore, imo mostly because the story of 2 was more or less concluded in the crown expansions.

Both sequels are a followup to DS1 that tells their own story. Some things from DS2 do make an appearance in 3 though.

And I'll say it again: I can play every Souls game on my PS4 in glorious 1080p EXCEPT MY TWO FAVORITE GAMES. It's time for Demon's and Dark Souls Remasters!!!

I've played all the games but Demon's Souls. They need to bring that to PS4. I don't even care if it's a minimal port (same visuals, but stable framerate), I just want to play it.

I've played all the games but Demon's Souls. They need to bring that to PS4. I don't even care if it's a minimal port (same visuals, but stable framerate), I just want to play it.

Tower of Latria is universally regarded as the best area in any Souls game ever. You NEED to see where it all started . . .

I_D

DLing now.

And so comes the finale to the best game series ever made. It's the end of an era, my friends.

ds1kqui4.png

ds2dhuxs.jpg

ds3v3uwq.jpg

DS1 > DeS > DS3 > BB > DS2 while we're at it.

Tower of Latria is universally regarded as the best area in any Souls game ever. You NEED to see where it all started . . .

i played through Demon's for the first time this year. it quickly went to the top of my list. there is a good bit of it that i consider better than even Dark Souls 1. Latria is definitely up there. anyone who is a Souls fan owes it to themselves to play through DeS. you will be surprised at how many things were all there right from the start. it is also the game that is most like Dark Souls 3 imo, so it is a good entry to jump into after finishing 3. i think they did this on purpose, bringing it all back full circle.

currently downloading this DLC. i'm definitely going to take my time with this one...

DLing now.

DS1 > DeS > DS3 > BB > DS2 while we're at it.

I understand the hate for the B Team effort, but in some ways DS2 is my favorite game to play. The build variety is amazing, magic feels just right (especially before nerfs), and the world is never ending and so epic.

Plus Dark Souls (still my favorite for amazing first half) has issues at the end whereas the last few levels of DS2 (Drangelic, Shrine, Tomb, and whole Dragon loop) are among the best in the series.

iddqd

Oh boy.. I have no clue what has happened but my save files are not there.
Steam still shows the 120h played but my characters are gone.
Time to faint!

Grisby

Will DL although I won't get to play until after I finish Andromeda but I am looking forward to it.

Sad to think this might be the last DS we get for a while, although to tell the truth I was feeling some fatigue after DS3 and I didn't think the last DLC was particularly great outside of the last boss fight.

Cool to hear that this sounds better though.
I understand the hate for the B Team effort, but in some ways DS2 is my favorite game to play. The build variety is amazing, magic feels just right (especially before nerfs), and the world is never ending and so epic.

Plus Dark Souls (still my favorite for amazing first half) has issues at the end whereas the last few levels of DS2 (Drangelic, Shrine, Tomb, and whole Dragon loop) are among the best in the series.
DA2 ends so strongly. Really like that game and Majula my lord.

Hey guys, I need some tips on respeccing. I want to
make a Halflight build that isn't geared towards griefing (who wants to fight a trolling boss?) but is still legitimately challenging for players. What do you guys think is good way to go about this?

CISphil

Neo Member
I went about 30 minutes and got to the first bonfire. I think they're on to a winner with this one. So far, a much better impression than Ariandel, though obviously it's still early. I wasn't too fussed on the main game, but this so far has me impressed. Can't wait to dig in tomorrow after work.

Word of warning, be ready to channel the Bloodborne skills. It's gonna be frantic.

brawly

The game feels so much better to play on PS4 Pro than it used to on the regular PS4.

I need that Bloodborne patch.

Ac30

I spawn into the area, 20 fps when I face one direction at all times, towards the mass of spires, even when I drop into the you know what. Unplayable, holy shit. I average 40-50 fps in every other area and I can't even play the DLC. Is it just me?

Goldboy

All this looking back is making me want to replay the old games!

Someday a year or two from now I want to go through all of the Souls games plus DLC back-to back, in release order. I'm a bit too burned out to do it now but someday in the future it's happening.

Someday a year or two from now I want to go through all of the Souls games plus DLC back-to back, in release order. I'm a bit too burned out to do it now but someday in the future it's happening.

Totally. Just give us PS4 Remasters of the 1st two games and I'm ready now tbh

Damn. How connected is 2's lore to 3 anyway? The impression I got was that it barely was at all.
Barely, there are a few throwaway mentions to things from Dark Souls 2, in addition to DLC spoilers
earthen peak
making an appearance in the ringed city. But that's really about it. Imo Dark Souls III is the true sequel to one and is very interested in continuing what the first one out down. 2 kinda just does its own thing and even when it first came out it had very few if any meaningful connections to the first game so there wasn't really much point in continuing anything from 2 which is mostly self contained and wrapped up.

Jombie

Not that impressed with the zones, from what I've watched and it's a good bit. I was expecting something a little more grand, and Londor was a huge cocktease.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

IMO the only thing that has ever been wrong with DS2 was the visual downgrade where something went wrong in development with their updated engine. If DS2 consistently had the texture art quality, organic clutter, and lighting of Bloodborne, it would be the perfect Souls game for me. The original demo made it clear that is what had been intended for the game.

And a few places still look that good, such as Majula, Castle Drangleic and Shrine of Amana.

IMO the only thing that has ever been wrong with DS2 was the visual downgrade where something went wrong in development with their updated engine. If DS2 consistently had the texture art quality, organic clutter, and lighting of Bloodborne, it would be the perfect Souls game for me. The original demo made it clear that is what had been intended for the game.

And a few places still look that good, such as Majula, Castle Drangleic and Shrine of Amana.

Does the floaty-Feel of DS2 to bother you? Like you get hit and get locked into an animation etc. The "feel" of DS2 is like 80% of my grievances with the game. Some point in the future I might get Scholar on PS4 if it's on sale and give it another try.

Taruranto

I still need to get through the first DLC fist. I hope it still has online players for that, 'cause I remember nothing about the game.

Top Bottom