• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any good RTS/RPG hybrids out there?

Truant

Talking specifically about single player games. I love WC3, and would kill to play something similar with modern graphics and design. I tried Dawn of War 2, and loved it. Didn't care for Starcraft 2.

Preferably games where you control a smaller set of units, and/or hero units with leveling, gear and so on.

heroes of might and magic 3 - its not real time, but its very tactical with resource and army management. lots of rpg mechanics involved and city building.

try it.

CloudWolf

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Crusader Kings II is pretty much the best RPG/Strategy hybrid around. It's not a RTS though.

Keinning

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms is very low on the RPG elements but they're still there. Criminally underrated game in favour of the previous Total Annihilation (why is also great, but sci-fi instead)

Walking around with a full squad of golden (the ultimate level) basic soldiers was rewarding as shit

Fou-Lu

heroes of might and magic 3 - its not real time, but its very tactical with resource and army management. lots of rpg mechanics involved and city building.

try it.

Definitely not what the OP is asking for, but still an absolutely incredible and addicting game that everyone should play! Wish the newer installments were better or that another studio would take a crack at the same genre.

Corpekata

Banned
The Dwarves is sort of this. More leans toward RPG, but you control a small cast in big raging battles and you pause and issue commands or be a bit more active with one character.

I'd also recommend Aarklash Legacy. Also leans more toward RPG and is probably more of a MOBA/RPG than RTS/RPG, but great underlooked game.

Weebos

Banned
I know you said you didn't care for SC2, but Heart of the Swarm (the expansion) had a pretty cool and RPG-like campaign. Check it out if you haven't tried it and can find a good price.

Tagyhag

Heroes of Annihilated Empires, very underrated game.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Chronicles is like that as well except turn-based.

Top Bottom